Gravity Gun Challenge: Highest Tower!

UKchaos2

Reaction score
I thought it would be fun to have a little contest to see how high we can make a tower by stacking objects with the gravity gun.

Conditions:

- Made in any HL2 SP level.

- Made without mods, cheat codes or custom maps.

- Completely freestanding and unsupported by map architecture. (Dont make towers which lean up againt walls, those are easy!)

- Post 1 screenshot of you standing on top of the tower.
- Post 1 screenshot from the side, showing the tower in its full glory :)

Anyway, to get the ball rolling, i present my own entry:

Attachments

• ukchaos_tower1.jpg
    ukchaos_tower1.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 974
  • ukchaos_tower2.jpg
    ukchaos_tower2.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 901
Lol, that's pretty cool :D Will have a go some time!

You know that part where you have to go under the bridge to disable the force field above? So you can cross the bridge with your buggy?

I tried to build a ramp to drive my buggy over it. The best I could do was get it almost over. Later on, the ramps stopped working - they crashed to pieces as I drove over them. I only used pieces that won't crush when driven over. But it didnt' work. So much for the physics engine. The highest ramp I made consisted of three levels.

My first plan was to shoot the buggy over the forcefield (which worked easily) and then make a tower and climb up (I stopped when I came up with the ramp idea).

I tried to build a ramp to drive my buggy over it.

The pieces that you would of used to make ramps would actually make tower building much easier. You could make nice platforms to move around on, instead of having to do a balancing act like i did :p

cbass said:
tell me you crashed through that with that buggy

No :(

I needed it to fetch some fuel drums from the antlion infested ground. Also if you dont get in the buggy, the woman in the crane keeps telling you about it, which is anoying if your trying to build :p

lol i dont have the game so i was wondering if you could build a seesaw out of a barrel and lure a combine on it so when he comes on it jump on the seesaw and send him flying?

cbass said:
lol i dont have the game so i was wondering if you could build a seesaw out of a barrel and lure a combine on it so when he comes on it jump on the seesaw and send him flying?

No, enemies always break or push objects out of the way. Also you couldnt catapult them like that, the plank would just bounce off.

lol good stuff. Just need to find an area with enough barrels/crates.

I'm gonna build me a castle!

UKchaos2 said:
The pieces that you would of used to make ramps would actually make tower building much easier. You could make nice platforms to move around on, instead of having to do a balancing act like i did :p

Hmm, yeah. The ramps were sturdy enough to be walked on.

UKchaos2 said:
No, enemies always break or push objects out of the way. Also you couldnt catapult them like that, the plank would just bounce off.
You can catapult yourself in route canal at the cinder block thingy. Just use the blue manipulator :D I accidentally hit my head on the ceiling ad got 20 damage.

Near the beginning of the game you can catapult yourself with cinderblocks on the seesaw in the little playground amidst the houses--very very very cool physics. This game rocks.

I made a big tower like that 1 with explosive barrels every 3rd barrel, then shoot top1, its great fun :D

I got a better challenge, for those of us who still have the beta, take the physgun, and see how long you can make a chain on welded barrels to a wall

MaverickUK said:

My thoughts exactly.
The only time I did something like that was in Nova Prospekt.
You all know the room where there is a dead vortigaunt in a chair and he's being electrified? Well, I didn't notice the wall plug to get through the field, but I knew I had to get to the next level. So I started grabbing boxes and barrels and built a tower to get up to the next floor.
And it worked :D

I got myself flying about 30 meters high by jumping (while running) over a table (tipped over), and in mid-air pushing the table to the ground with the manipulator :). The table bounces of the ground under you and then smashes into you... weee!

4tomic said:
Damn, if only the competition was about human towers

Human tower

It does say that editing in things isn't allowed, though, so it would've been disqualified anyway(great picture).

If you guys like things like this, you should check out the mod I'm helping out with:
Konstruct @ moddb.com
Similar, but multiplayer competetion. And, we're having some interesting ideas as well (sieges where teams build catapults/siege towers, etc.)

Does anybody know the console command to spawn boxes and barrels?

I'm gonna build me a fort... anybody know?

I once felt from a table and took about 80 dammages... Dunno what happened but it hurt.

Back