My Prey Review! Plus Vote!

Do you agree with my Review/Score. - Will you buy Prey 2?

• Yes - I agree with your Review/Score

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • No - I dont agree with your Review/Score

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Yes - I will buy Prey 2

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • No - I wont buy Prey 2

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • Maybe - I still haven't played/Beat or got Prey

Votes: 25 43.1%

• Total voters
stemot said:
Game is good, but not worth 92%, it give it 80-85% simply because of it`s length, it`s gimmicky portals, and the annoyance of Tommys voice work.

Oh and the fact it crashes all the f*cking time too.

Gimmicky Portals? Wth Annoying voice? Meh...

Gray Fox said:
I liked Tommy. And especially all the comments he made, he told it like it was. Every time he made one I was thinking about the same thing. i enjoyed it, and I felt more connected to his charcter then in other games.

Agreed.

elrasho said:
I have been playing Chronicles Of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. This game also used the DOOM3 engine, but with much better results that Prey. The enemies DON’T look plasicy and the physics is slightly better too. The lighting is a lot more realistic and the whole experience is very rewarding However, it’s the atmosphere that gets you. Its soo impressive from the start to end. I’m always gonna say that Prey is a MOD for DOOM3, but Escape from Butcher Bay is in a class of its own. Its totally different to DOOM3 and Prey but still uses the same engine. Why couldt Prey have been something better than just a “Serious Sam” type arcade shooter!!??

PS: Why the hell did PCZONE give it 86%!!??

Chronicles of Riddick is a great game but it doesnt use the Doom 3 engine.

My mistake, I thought it did. The lighting is alot better than doom3's. Still I think Prey is getting too much hype and +ve reviews, its not as good as people say

elrasho said:
My mistake, I thought it did. The lighting is alot better than doom3's. Still I think Prey is getting too much hype and +ve reviews, its not as good as people say

Well i felt it was.

This is the same thing as F.E.A.R

Some people like myself LOVED That game. I think its one of the best games EVER made. Some people HATED it didnt think it was worth buying. There will always be a split and very rarely will these 2 types of people come together. Pretty much only happens when Valve releases a game lol.

Raziel-Jcd said:
Well i felt it was.

Some people like myself LOVED That game. I think its one of the best games EVER made.

Now its fair that you love it. But really. One of the best games EVER MADE? Surely thats a big bunch of over-the-top?

Samon said:
Now its fair that you love it. But really. One of the best games EVER MADE? Surely thats a big bunch of over-the-top?

No way. The fun i had in F.E.A.R, I thought it was right up there with the big dogs. Prey is right under these games.

If Deus Ex was #1 and Half-Life games are #2 F.E.A.R will be a #3 and Prey is a #4

Thats just fps games but you get it.

I can't say I liked FEAR that much , but for me they nailed the feel of how a fun firefight should feel better then any other developer. The feel of the guns, the impact of the bullets, the enemies. IMO best firefights I ever had.
Although CoD comes close

Stop it. It's really getting sad. Stop using the words innovative and revolutinary so freely. Prey isn't even near that. Shooting people upside down and inside out doesn't make the game any good and the portals are just doors.
Stop overrating Prey. It's a simple , straightforward FPS which is better than Q3 and D3 but that's it! Don't make it something it isn't. It has so many flawes and I wish you could at least mention my thoughts and try to de bunk them or something.

Prey is a mid 70 game , nothing more and nothing less and putting it in your top 4 is just wrong and basiclly a spit in the industry's face.

So what's the problem? It's his opinion. Or you think only you have a right to an opinion.

JNightshade said:
It's an opinion, man. Get over yourself.

Unfortunately he is not the only one around here that thinks only he has a right to an opinion and that is sad.

No, you're missing my point. I'm FINE with him having an opinion- I encourage it, even. What I'm not fine with is him shutting down others' opinions, and acting as if his is the only one that matters.

JNightshade said:
No, you're missing my point. I'm FINE with him having an opinion- I encourage it, even. What I'm not fine with is him shutting down others' opinions, and acting as if his is the only one that matters.

I cant make out who your talking about. This is getting confusing.

Nvm! I get it now. :p

Like I said in my first post , people use the "it's my opinion" thing to just say stupid things. Prey is by no means revolutinary - that's a fact. You can argue on how much fun it is , but saying Prey is innovative is just false in any way you look at it.

Tamer17 said:
Like I said in my first post , people use the "it's my opinion" thing to just say stupid things. Prey is by no means revolutinary - that's a fact. You can argue on how much fun it is , but saying Prey is innovative is just false in any way you look at it.

You are VERY wrong.

Raziel-Jcd said:
Well i felt it was.

Some people like myself LOVED That game. I think its one of the best games EVER made. Some people HATED it didnt think it was worth buying. There will always be a split and very rarely will these 2 types of people come together. Pretty much only happens when Valve releases a game lol.

FEAR was great, poorly optimized on medium settings (RAM was a little low). But it LACKED replayability IMO. Upon the second replay, I didn't get past even the mid-way point. Of course, it relied on cheap thrills that don't nearly have as much effect the second time around. However, if the whole of the game was like the end levels, it would have been fantastic.

I will, however, be getting Prey. It seems to me that people are a) overrating it or b) underrating it. I've heard it's atleast better than D3 or Q4, so it should be fairly decent.

Tamer17 said:

I really don't get you. Who are you trying to convince? People that think this game is great and revolutionary will continue to do so with or without your arguing so why get upset over nothing? And as far as I know we live in a democracy and everyone has a right to their opinion, even if it's stupid.

Raziel-Jcd said:
You are VERY wrong.

No he isn`t, explain to me how it`s revolutionary? Portals, like was said before, nothing more than doors. Upside down? I`d hardly call it revolutionary, remember the falling ship stage in Jedi Knight?.
Spirit Walk? Most recently done to some extent in Rogue Trooper with holograms.
Death Walk? Glorified Quick Load.

Name one more thing that would consider revolutionary to the world of shooters.

omg, half the page over "opinion" ???.... come on guys, put up some screenshots of the game.

It's not about opinions , I understand some people will like Prey more than others ,that's not the problem.

The problem is about claiming Prey as innovative and revolutionary which Prey is certainly isn't - and that's , that's a fact. I made my arguments in my "review" post but Jcd hasn't posted back in relation to it.

People don't go calling D3 or Q4 or any other "regular" game innovative or revolutionary , and that's what Prey is. A fps that lacks in so much and has many flaws , and it's understandable some people will like it more or less , but calling it innovative or revoltionary is just plain wrong and is a result of just hype , i guess , because the game content and mechanisms obviously don't support this notion.

stemot said:
No he isn`t, explain to me how it`s revolutionary? Portals, like was said before, nothing more than doors. Upside down? I`d hardly call it revolutionary, remember the falling ship stage in Jedi Knight?.
Spirit Walk? Most recently done to some extent in Rogue Trooper with holograms.
Death Walk? Glorified Quick Load.

Name one more thing that would consider revolutionary to the world of shooters.

Read the review.....

Gorgon said:
omg, half the page over "opinion" ???.... come on guys, put up some screenshots of the game.

Download my screenshot packs :) All 198 of them split into 2 downloads :)

Holy shit Raziel, I downloaded the Prey screenshot pack #2, and it looks so incredible. I also downloaded your Half-Life 2 - Episode 1 screenshot pack. I dare say that in some cases, the graphics in Prey are better than Half-Life2 episode 1. Half-Life 2 is commonly dubbed as the best game ever made, so that's saying a lot baby. HL2 EP 1 looks awesome.

I'm going to have to pick up both of these games. I already know both will be fun, since I have HL2, and love it, and tried the Prey demo, and loved it.

Tamer17 said:
Like I said in my first post , people use the "it's my opinion" thing to just say stupid things.
Isn't that what you are doing here:

Prey is by no means revolutinary - that's a fact.
You can argue on how much fun it is , but saying Prey is innovative is just false in any way you look at it.

It's not a fact. The fact is, prey does things no other game has done before in a FPS. That is the definition of revolutionary.
dictionary.com said:
Revolutionary: markedly new or introducing radical change
dictionary.com said:
Innovative: being or producing something like nothing done or experienced or created before; "stylistically innovative works"
I think several things done in this game are very innovative, according to the definition of innovative.

I would consider walking upside down, looking into different areas through portals, areas of a room that have a different gravitational pull than other areas of the same room - for example, soldiers running down hallways that are actually to the side of you, and also running down what looks like the ceiling to you is the floor to them, and being shit out of an alien buttocks 'radical change', to name a few. What would you define as a radical change to you?

You are stating your opinion as if nobody else can have an opinion, and even going as far as to say your opinion is a fact, and it's *EDITED* [bothering some of us]. Please don't do that. Your opinion doesn't over-ride or discount everyone else's, just like ours doesn't discount yours. I have played 1000's of games, and I'm sure Raziel has played at least as many games as you have, he seems to buy every good game for every game system. ;) Don't you think that entitles us to our opinion of a video game when comparing it to others?

I'm considering getting the game, but it seems like many people didn't think it was good, so I'm not sure it's worth buying.

At this point, 16 said they agree with Raziels score, and 10 said they don't agree.

To anyone who said the game deserves a score of about 72%:

- If the game didn't have multiplayer, would you score it a 62%? I mean, wow, that's pretty harsh score. Anything 65% and below is a terrible game, in my opinion.

- Did you play the multi-player aspect at all?

- Maybe you don't really care for video games or this type of video game. (In that case, why did you buy/steal it, if you didn't like the demo?)

It does? they have 0 effect on the gameplay , it doesn't encourage new and innovative gameplay. Like i said in my review , thy are liitle nice touches that adds next to nothing to the game.

I can make a game where you can crap on people (sorry for the lame example) , it will answer the dictionary defenition of "innovative" or "Revolutionary" but they won't make the game any better.

Reffering to the portals and gravity tricks as "markedly new or introducing radical change" is a joke. In terms of making the game better , in terms of offer new gameplay , those tricks fail and all they do is act as a nice little touchs with no real punch.

I don't want to continue this back-and-forth discussion.
I'll just end saying Prey is an overrated game. It offers a decent fun and that's all. The game has so many flawes and issues.
It is better than Q4 and D3 but , unfortionatly, that does't say much.

Tamer17 said:
It does? they have 0 effect on the gameplay , it doesn't encourage new and innovative gameplay. Like i said in my review , thy are liitle nice touches that adds next to nothing to the game.
That is your opinion, and I'm fine with that.

I can make a game where you can crap on people (sorry for the lame example) , it will answer the dictionary defenition of "innovative" or "Revolutionary" but they won't make the game any better.
Reffering to the portals and gravity tricks as "markedly new or introducing radical change" is a joke. In terms of making the game better , in terms of offer new gameplay , those tricks fail and all they do is act as a nice little touchs with no real punch.
Revolutionary and innovative are basically judged by opinion. You are correct, that taking a shit in a video game could be considered innovative - but only if people saw it as a good evolution for games and that it was a good quality for future games to have.

Getting flipped upside down from gravity switches, or looking into another area through a portal, and all of the other neat tricks that this game pulled off - to everyone but you, is radical, innovative change in FPS video games. These are features where EVEN people that didn't like the game seem to like, so that makes them innovative. You would like to see things like this again, in other games right? Name another game that has done it.

Oh, and I do think it makes the game better, and is much more than a little touch.

I don't want to continue this back-and-forth discussion.
Well, nobody is forcing you to. :p

I'll just end saying Prey is an overrated game. It offers a decent fun and that's all. The game has so many flawes and issues.
It is better than Q4 and D3 but , unfortionatly, that does't say much.
Well, I haven't tried Quake 4 yet, but Doom 3 is definitely one of my top 3 favorites - if not my favorite game of all time. That is my opinion.

Notice, I didn't say that Doom 3 is under-rated, like how you say Prey is over-rated. I agree that Doom 3 is flawed and imperfect, and therefore didn't get rave reviews. I can see how some may not like it or think it sucks. Some people don't even like violent games at all, this would affect their score of a game where things are dying every few moments for the entire game, for example.

If you don't like Prey, that's fine. I won't take your opinion away by calling my opinion a fact, and calling your opinion a joke. Don't take my opinion away from me by saying that my opinion is wrong, and that's a fact. Please. :p

I actually liked your review of the game Tamer. I thought it was a valid perspective, and a valid review of the game. I read several reviews, and if I can, I try the demo, and compare it to other games I like or dislike to make my decision.

elrasho said:
My mistake, I thought it did. The lighting is alot better than doom3's.

Riddick is a good looking game but DOOM 3's lighting is still superior.

921671_20041210_screen017.jpg

921671_20041210_screen033.jpg

doom-3-20040802092850403.jpg

doom3_081502_002.jpg

VirusType2 said:
Well, I haven't tried Quake 4 yet, but Doom 3 is definitely one of my top 3 favorites - if not my favorite game of all time. That is my opinion.

I'd like you to explain to me why. I'm not bashing you, I'm just extremely interested.

Samon said:
I'd like you to explain to me why. I'm not bashing you, I'm just extremely interested.
I've got some company due over here any second, so I have to go, but I will give you a full explanation as soon as I get a chance. I will say that Doom 3 has awesome lighting. I'm not sure if it's the best or better than Riddick, but just look at the way the light even casts on the sleves of this zombie's shirt. It's amazing. And Gargantou claims that Doom 3's shadows don't lengthen and get lighter with distance, but depending on the source, they do. I can show screenshots of that when I get a chance too.

Look here at the shadows. Even the wrinkles of the zombie's sleeves have believable shadowing / lighting.

shot002013go.png

shot002032pm.png

This is in 800x600 resolution with high quality textures, but no anti-aliasing and also the lowest quality texture filtering setting as well. This might look better on your PC is what I'm saying. My card is shader 1.6 or 1.8 I think.

OK, Samon, company had to cancel.

To answer the question why is Doom 3 one of my favorite games ever?

Well, it just is. :) You can ask someone why their favorite color is blue, but they don't know why.

Here are some reasons:
FPS are my favorite type of game.
I like 'scary' games, because they provoke an extra emotion that other games don't. Bonus!
I love futuristic themes in games and movies. (I watched Blade Runner - a futuristic movie, about 15 times, but usually don't like watching movies more than once)
Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, etc. were my favorite games in their time.
particles. (The particles engine is just incredible and infinite. There is no limit to the effects you can create on the mod front as well)
guns - I like pistols, shotguns, rocket launchers, machineguns, chain guns, grenades, and chainsaw. The Plasma rifle is very well done too. (BFG .. meh) (not a fan of space guns like the majority of weapons Halo had)
soulcube is awesome.
bosses are great.
lighting is incredible
art direction is very much to my liking.
ambient, machine, computer, and other sound effects are so good.
The GUI's. (the interactive computer screens) are just BOMB. Love them. While playing the game, I really feel like I'm hitting the airlock and shit. The sounds of everything further enforce how I love it.

I like to fight various types of monsters, instead of the same guy, with the same voice, wearing the same soldier outfit for 90% of the game like in HL2. Don't get me wrong though, I love Half-Life2, and liked it much better than Doom 3 initially, but for some reason, I just got bored of it, and began to like Doom 3 more and more over time. Originally, I was pretty disappointed with Doom 3.

There are more reasons, but I think the main reason I love it is because there isn't really anything I can't change about it in my mod, given time. If I couldn't change things how I like them, then MEH. I'd be playing Oblivion right now.

I guess If I was modding Oblivion or Half-Life2, or any other game, then they might become my favorite game.

I can add new monsters, new sounds, new weapons, new levels, new special effects, new scripts, new cinematics, new items, new skins/clothes for the monsters, and other things, and I can change all of the variables how I see fit. For example, I want to make a grenade launcher? Give me 15 minutes. Boom. Done. Then I can spend as much time as I want perfecting it and play testing it - that's also fun.

Oh, and I forgot. I love the bodies blowing up into guts, with blood flying everywhere and a skeleton crumbling underneath of them.

Raziel-Jcd said:
Just to warn you the demo shows NOTHING of what is really ahead. Its just the 1st 20 mins of the game. Btw does anyone have a good TGA to Jpeg Image converter. I hate how all the screenshots are in TGA and each are 5.5 megs. I have over 450, need to filter them so i can upload the screenshot pack.

People who are voting and not posting, thats really lame. I mean you vote you dont agree with my review or that your not buying the game yet you dont post why. I just think thats lame. Same goes for the people that posted they agree. Id like a discussion not just a tally. :/
If this hasn't been said yet, Xfire has it's screenshot function--I use it all the time.

By the way, has anyone tried the multiplayer yet? It's a little weird at first, but I've come to absolutely adore it. The best levels are the ones with the most gravity crap- having the concept of "down" suddenly flip around on you while shooting at someone is beyond awesome. The level "Spindle Spheres" in particular stands out in kickassness.

VirusType2 said:
OK, Samon, company had to cancel.

To answer the question why is Doom 3 one of my favorite games ever?

Well, it just is. :) You can ask someone why their favorite color is blue, but they don't know why.

Here are some reasons:
FPS are my favorite type of game.
I like 'scary' games, because they provoke an extra emotion that other games don't. Bonus!
I love futuristic themes in games and movies. (I watched Blade Runner - a futuristic movie, about 15 times, but usually don't like watching movies more than once)
Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, etc. were my favorite games in their time.
particles. (The particles engine is just incredible and infinite. There is no limit to the effects you can create on the mod front as well)
guns - I like pistols, shotguns, rocket launchers, machineguns, chain guns, grenades, and chainsaw. The Plasma rifle is very well done too. (BFG .. meh) (not a fan of space guns like the majority of weapons Halo had)
soulcube is awesome.
bosses are great.
lighting is incredible
art direction is very much to my liking.
ambient, machine, computer, and other sound effects are so good.
The GUI's. (the interactive computer screens) are just BOMB. Love them. While playing the game, I really feel like I'm hitting the airlock and shit. The sounds of everything further enforce how I love it.

I like to fight various types of monsters, instead of the same guy, with the same voice, wearing the same soldier outfit for 90% of the game like in HL2. Don't get me wrong though, I love Half-Life2, and liked it much better than Doom 3 initially, but for some reason, I just got bored of it, and began to like Doom 3 more and more over time. Originally, I was pretty disappointed with Doom 3.

There are more reasons, but I think the main reason I love it is because there isn't really anything I can't change about it in my mod, given time. If I couldn't change things how I like them, then MEH. I'd be playing Oblivion right now.

I guess If I was modding Oblivion or Half-Life2, or any other game, then they might become my favorite game.

I can add new monsters, new sounds, new weapons, new levels, new special effects, new scripts, new cinematics, new items, new skins/clothes for the monsters, and other things, and I can change all of the variables how I see fit. For example, I want to make a grenade launcher? Give me 15 minutes. Boom. Done. Then I can spend as much time as I want perfecting it and play testing it - that's also fun.

Oh, and I forgot. I love the bodies blowing up into guts, with blood flying everywhere and a skeleton crumbling underneath of them.

Fair is fair. :thumbs:

Just finished the game, and I think I will put it on my all time top 5 (No Order):

Half Life 2
Far Cry
Mafia
F.E.A.R.
Prey

This game was very amazing, very cinimatic. I found my self ghasping at some of the sights that I saw (Very good particle effects btw).

The biggest problem I had in the game was the ending SPOILER!!!

Well I hate it that you had to kill her. You play most of the game trying to save her then wham! You have to kill her, then at the end of the game they say "Well when you die you can come see us", well what are you supposed to do until then? It just seems like a big let down to me.

End of SPOILER

Other than that I thought it was a funa nd enjoyable game. Though 50 USD seems a little expensive for how long it is, maybe 40 or 30 USD would have been a better price?

Games will always be around 10-15 hours nowdays. Get use to it. I myself loved back in the day (Deus Ex) 25-30 hours of gameplay, but those days seem to be over...

Btw who finds it that the games back then which took 25-30 hours to beat you can beat in 10-15 hours today still doing everything you did back then...or is it just me?

Raziel-Jcd said:
Btw who finds it that the games back then which took 25-30 hours to beat you can beat in 10-15 hours today still doing everything you did back then...or is it just me?

That's because you've already played them and you know exactly what to do. The first time you play is a matter of trial and error which takes time. That's my explanation anyway.

Redneck said:
That's because you've already played them and you know exactly what to do. The first time you play is a matter of trial and error which takes time. That's my explanation anyway.

Still such a big difference? Keep in mind i also beat Deus Ex in a difference way every time i play it. You know what i think its that i dont read every book like i did the 1st time at least for Deus Ex. I recently replayed Half-Life and back in the day that was a 20-25 hour game. I beat it in 8 hours before Episode 1. Thats crazy.

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Just finished the game, and I think I will put it on my all time top 5 (No Order):

Half Life 2
Far Cry
Mafia
F.E.A.R.
Prey

This game was very amazing, very cinimatic. I found my self ghasping at some of the sights that I saw (Very good particle effects btw).

The biggest problem I had in the game was the ending SPOILER!!!

Well I hate it that you had to kill her. You play most of the game trying to save her then wham! You have to kill her, then at the end of the game they say "Well when you die you can come see us", well what are you supposed to do until then? It just seems like a big let down to me.

End of SPOILER

Other than that I thought it was a funa nd enjoyable game. Though 50 USD seems a little expensive for how long it is, maybe 40 or 30 USD would have been a better price?
DUDE!!! YOU JUST SPOILED THE ENDING FOR ME AHHHHHH!!!! :flame: :flame: :flame:

Why ??? PUT SPOILER TAGS AROUND A SPOILER:flame:

Back