My Prey Review! Plus Vote!

Do you agree with my Review/Score. - Will you buy Prey 2?

• Yes - I agree with your Review/Score

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • No - I dont agree with your Review/Score

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Yes - I will buy Prey 2

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • No - I wont buy Prey 2

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • Maybe - I still haven't played/Beat or got Prey

Votes: 25 43.1%

• Total voters
Raziel-Jcd said:
I beat it in 8 hours before Episode 1. Thats crazy.

Thats not really short at all for Half-life. You could easily do it in 6.

P43.2/1Gig/X800P said:
DUDE!!! YOU JUST SPOILED THE ENDING FOR ME AHHHHHH!!!! :flame: :flame: :flame:

Why ??? PUT SPOILER TAGS AROUND A SPOILER:flame:

Wasnt the end anyway :/

Samon said:
Thats not really short at all for Half-life. You could easily do it in 6.

I wasnt trying to beat it in 8. I was playing the game normal didnt rush through it at all.

But even without rushing or trying to beat it in record time, 6 is still feasible.

Samon said:
But even without rushing or trying to beat it in record time, 6 is still feasible.

You would have to be bunny hopping and not listen to any of the scientists. :cool:

I'd give Prey a 7/10 upon retrospection. The combat, which is the cornerstone of all FPS games, is pretty lackluster. The enemies are too stupid, too homogenous (I swear, the hunter is used more than the imp was in Doom3, and always with the same weapon) and not challenging at all. I noticed that the ADD doesn't work very well. I swear to god, half the enemies simply refused to shoot me unless I stood still for 3-5 seconds and even then, they'd deliberately miss me for no reason. You never fight anything more than 2 or 3 guys at a time. Whenever you fight something that isn't a hunter, their attacks are extremely dodgable and even if they hit you, it's only 10-15% damage. There's too much ammo in the game, so there's no need to conserve at all. All in all, it feels like any challenge in Prey was meticulously sucked out until all one had left was a shooter that a monkey could beat. The sounds were average, nothing memorable sticks out, other than Enisi's voice, which was just awesome. The story had too many unfufilled plot-lines

****SPOILER****

WTF was that Land of the Ancients' invasion all about, that literally came out of nowhere. Where did the "Others" go? What about the spirits around the ship? Why does Mother say she wants to help you, but then still tries her best to kill you?

****End of Spoiler****

and the story was kind of put on the backburner for a long time. You get some nice tidbits (Art Bell's radio show was pretty awesome :woot:), but nothing major for 50-65% of the game. There doesn't feel like a real goal to the most of the game until the end. Before you meet The Hidden it feels like you're just wandering around the ship randomly. A real big stickler for me was not being able to manipulate any physics object. Why we can't is beyond me. There are few things sweeter than tossing grenades back at the enemy, or picking up a sheet and using it for cover while you get yourself to a more defensible position. Instead, we have boxes. A dozen variations of these boxes, and an explodable green sphere.

In my personal opinion , Prey could have used another 6-12 months to polish and really focus the game into a masterpiece. It has all these great ideas, some great gameplay potential and a great setting/environment, but it's lacking that UMPH that propels games to superstardom.

Prey had great atmosphere and setting, reminded me a lot of Half-Life. You had to pay attention to everything to know what was going on there and the rest of the world.

Games will always be around 10-15 hours nowdays. Get use to it. I myself loved back in the day (Deus Ex) 25-30 hours of gameplay, but those days seem to be over...

It's exactly that apathetic attitude that has reduced the quality and longevity of games over the last few years, and will continue to do so as long as people like you keep buying this cheap tat and the marketing bullsh1t that goes with it.
Thanx bundles for adding yet another crack to the industry :/

It's exactly that apathetic attitude that has reduced the quality and longevity of games over the last few years, and will continue to do so as long as people like you keep buying this cheap tat and the marketing bullsh1t that goes with it.
Today you expect a high poly count, normal mapped, HDR enabled, high quality game to be completed in a short development time, and expect it to last as long as a game released a few years back?

Get real. Games today may be shorter, but they have better graphics, interactivity and content.

Yea thanx a lot Raziel. You have ruined video games!! It's people like you who buy every game who made my games shorter!! :rolling:

We should have all just warzed these million dollar budget games, then they would make the games longer, right Cr0M? :rolling:

1st of all, you have no basses for point here. So instead of buying them im suppose to make one of those sad petitions online and hope it changes something? 2nd, at 1st the change from long games to short was hard on me. But now i like long games and i like short games. They both do different things. The way i see it Episodic games are taking the place of the long games. I mean put all Episodes together and you got your self a long game.

Today you expect a high poly count, normal mapped, HDR enabled, high quality game to be completed in a short development time, and expect it to last as long as a game released a few years back?

Get real. Games today may be shorter, but they have better graphics, interactivity and content.

Agree on that point aswell.

Yea thanx a lot Raziel. You have ruined video games!! It's people like you who buy every game who made my games shorter!! :rolling:

We should have all just warzed these million dollar budget games, then they would make the games longer, right Cr0M? :rolling:

Same here.

eh, where did crom say he expected those things ?

virus, you don't have to play them. :s

i'd choose gameplay over graphics/technology any day, hence why i still play classics like monkey island occasionally.

face it, the gaming industry is going down the drain in general. ;) /sarcasm, well, a tiny bit sarcastic.

You want a game that innovative revolutionary = Saints Row :) j/k I'm getting it for the graphics and ragdolls.

You're gonna buy a game because it has good graphics and ragdoll? Don't you already have HL2 or Doom 3?

eh, where did crom say he expected those things ?

virus, you don't have to play them. :s

i'd choose gameplay over graphics/technology any day, hence why i still play classics like monkey island occasionally.

face it, the gaming industry is going down the drain in general. ;) /sarcasm, well, a tiny bit sarcastic.

What. no dude. nvm. :p

I was being sarcastic and stuff.

I thought it was funny that he blamed Raziel for short games. HAHAHAHA

I also find it funny that the people that complained that Prey was short [obviously] didn't even pay for the game, but the people that bought it didn't complain! So why should you complain that it was short if you didn't even have to pay for it, yet people that paid for it didn't have a problem with the length? HAHAHAHAHA

And, furthermore, the people that said they didn't even like the game also complain that it is too short. If you don't like the game, why would you wish it to be longer?

Hahahaha these guys. Something to think about, I'm out of here, I need sleep.

No way. The fun i had in F.E.A.R, I thought it was right up there with the big dogs. Prey is right under these games.

If Deus Ex was #1 and Half-Life games are #2 F.E.A.R will be a #3 and Prey is a #4

Thats just fps games but you get it.

Fear was the same environments repeated over and over again with the same "We-won't-show-you-what's-making-the-scary-noises" scares or the stupid light flickering shit

Good game, but hardly the best ever

I finished Prey yesterday. It's not a bad game, but there are there are some things that prevent it from being a great one:

- Story: Interesting start, but gets totally lost after half the game. There were lots of stuff where I didn't know what I was doing or how to proceed. The last hour or so was pretty bad. I would have liked more scenes with the Earth in the background (just like as you open the "windows" at the middle of the prey demo to get a look at the Earth), or some situations where you really see that our planet is being attacked ...

- Sound: Tommys voiceacting was really really bad. He basically rattles off his lines and you can tell that theres no real concern in his voice.

- Gameplay: Actually fine, portals and gravity are a great idea. Didn't really like the glider parts, just too boring for me.

- Length: Basically I'm a not a quick player, but even I beat Prey in less that 7 hours. Even worse than TR Legend :frown:

Summary: Good game although very short. It can be very entertaining and fresh game, as long as you are willing to see past Tommys crappy voiceacting and the story getting totally lost on the way. Score 7/10

What. no dude. nvm. :p

I was being sarcastic and stuff.

I thought it was funny that he blamed Raziel for short games. HAHAHAHA

I also find it funny that the people that complained that Prey was short [obviously] didn't even pay for the game, but the people that bought it didn't complain! So why should you complain that it was short if you didn't even have to pay for it, yet people that paid for it didn't have a problem with the length? HAHAHAHAHA

And, furthermore, the people that said they didn't even like the game also complain that it is too short. If you don't like the game, why would you wish it to be longer?

Hahahaha these guys. Something to think about, I'm out of here, I need sleep.

Dude, thats one of the best and funniest posts iv ever read here. :LOL:

Fear was the same environments repeated over and over again with the same "We-won't-show-you-what's-making-the-scary-noises" scares or the stupid light flickering shit

Good game, but hardly the best ever

I disagree on every point you made. I thought it was a phenomenal game.

Yes, I thought it was very good too, but it's undeniable that the environments are repetitive.

I'm glad I didn't pay much attention to the reviews. I bought it yesterday and I'm loving it so far.

The portals, gravity shifting and wall walking is incredibly cool. The weapons are all pretty well done. My favorite has to be the one that looks like it has a "face-hugger" on top of the weapon. My second favorite is a tie between the assault rifle and the acid shotgun.

The second thing worth talking about is the graphics. First off, I'm a fan of the Doom 3 engine. Prey has some fantastic set pieces to fill up the alien environment. The whole thing is top quality from the ground up. Sometimes I find myself taking a break after the action to take a look at the surroundings in more detail. A lot of people have come to hate the all metal look of games using the Doom 3 engine. I, however, love it. I prefer the design of scifi/industrial/futuristic environments so the Doom 3 engine has suited my tastes perfectly.

Lastly, the story. While the story isn't ground breaking, it still sets out simple goals that keeps the player on track. I'm not a stickler for story depth, I just want a fun game to play. While I haven't beaten the game yet, Prey has offered up plenty of enjoyment so far. I'm glad I got it.

Maybe I'll post some of my favorite screenshots later.

:cheers:

First of all, this post has some huge spoilers, so just scroll past it if you haven't beaten the game.

I agree with most of your good points Raziel (although I wouldn't call any of the features revolutionary, innovative certainly works) but I felt it had some flaws.

- Some of the game's unique feature weren't really taken advantage of. They made great puzzles but they missed out on some cool gameplay opportunities. Some examples: There wasn't any SP segments that played like the MP map Keeper Gravity (not even the part with the Keepers D:). Most of the gravity transitions were fairly linear; I was hoping for parts where you're moving from surface to surface and back and your enemies would too, like the MP level. Also, there should have been some all-out combat scenes in areas with gravity switches, so you could swicth the gravity to disorient your enemies, have them fall to thier death, or squash them with heavy objects. They could do the same to you. There should have been more spatial anomailes as well. I wish the portal gun had made it in too, that would've been great. Maybe some of this stuff will make it into Prey 2.

- I felt bad when main characters died, but not nearly as bad as if Alyx were to die in an HL2 episode. I didn't really know them. When it was time to kill Jen I looked around the room for a way to save her, but after that I just smacked her with my wrench. Oh well, see you in the afterlife I guess. And it was kind of funny how Tommy says "I love you" after he kills her. Nice, Tommy, maybe you could've said that when she could actually hear you, like before you kill her.

- The vehicles got old fast. Like Quake 4, they were a low point in the game.

- What was with the demon kids? There were like two scenes with them in it, that's it. There wasn't much reason for them or the evil spirits either, other than scare factor.

- There was some annoying stuff, like the last boss. STOP LAUGHING! God damn it.

But like I said overall I mostly agree with your good points. I loved the game, I would give it an 86%. MP is also great, but the coolest map, Spindle Spheres, kills my framerate.

I thought the game was just another FPS a cool gimmick that wasn't really used to its advantage. the only time moments the game started to pick up were sadly at the end of the game. Beyond that, just like any other FPS game to come along.

Back