Guild Wars

When will our Guild rating go any higher?
... and Ritz, what you say?!?! :p

Well, I got the game, and it seems extremely cool so far. I had a great, helpful guy show me around, and it was a lot of fun learning the hands on way. I can already feel the sting of addiction... must... collect... 5... more... belts...

I might be interested in joining the HL2.net guild. Who all is in it, and are there any requirements that I should know about?

I think our guild rating goes up when ever we win a guild battle, but we need a guild hall first

Yeah but to get a guild hall you need to win the HoH, anyway I'm now just PvP, I don't have time to PvE, I only done it to see how it is. that much but when I do creat a character that I want to fully develope I'll be sure to apply your guild.

But I do have a question, doesn GW still have those missions, cause now at teh beginning you have the quest and it's pretty hard to form a party, cause soem peopel have done the quest, with those missions everybody who was in that particular place needed to do teh missions, + it's rediculusly easy, in the missions you really had to have a team.

In Gw you have main missions that you need to do in order to advance to other areas. In these mission you can either get a group of henchmen or team up with other people, then enter the mission. During the mission your whole team focuses on one certain task so everyone knows what to do

Speaking of missions, is there a way to keep track of which one's you've completed? I'm level 12 and have 0 quests to do, and I can't remember which of the missions I have and haven't done. I think I've done them all though. Nobody wants to give me any quests... meh.

Lethal8472 said:
I refuse to pay Rico's daily 200 gold guild fee. :p

Tribute! You must all pay your tributes to appease the gods!

Eventually we'll get a guild hall. All of our members are spread out all over the place though so it's really hard to actually do stuff as a guild. Hopefully we'll find a way to sync up and do stuff together so we can eventually go to the HoH and get a guild hall.

Alright guys, my name is "Logonitur Karn", so pm in game so we can do quests together and stuff. I'm getting tired of unfriendly and unhelpful team members.

Can you add me to the HL2.net guild? My name's "Stardog Championn", some monkey had Stardog Champion :(

Rico said:
Tribute! You must all pay your tributes to appease the gods!

Eventually we'll get a guild hall. All of our members are spread out all over the place though so it's really hard to actually do stuff as a guild. Hopefully we'll find a way to sync up and do stuff together so we can eventually go to the HoH and get a guild hall.

The problem I have is that usually when im on only 2 or 4 others are usually on, and all of us are at different spots

Yeah I know, I think that once we all finish the RPG part of the game it'll be much easier to group up and beat the HoH for our guild hall.

I'm damn near positive I'm getting this game, but I'm trying to convince my friend to get this game right now so we can team up. He's been hearing that the endgame in Guild Wars is weak because all there is to do is pvp. He's also heard that items don't play a big role in how good you are.

This is a link he sent me saying that monks and a few classes aren't quite balanced.

http://gwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Editorials.Detail&id=21

I see it's from Feb. during the beta. Have balancing problems been fixed since then? How long does it take to lvl up a char to the lvl cap (20?)? What is there to do besides pvp when you meet that cap (if anything - pvp is fine by me)?

I really wanna convince my friend to get this game cuz it'd be a lot more fun playing side by side with him. Thanks.

Get it if you want to be bored in about one week. Pretty much everyone has quit playing.

Pressure said:
Get it if you want to be bored in about one week. Pretty much everyone has quit playing.

:\ yeah, i'm kinda bored of it.. i'l pick it up again when they add content or when I get really bored of everything else. But right now I find WoW much more enthralling.

I don't know--I'm still playing it. Maybe my nerdiness isn't so unquenchable that I'm able to find a game that will last me. I worthy purchase, I vouch.

The game rocks. Its still very much entertaining, and the pvp keep it entertaining for a long time.

Pressure said:
Everyone here, I'm guessing you mean. The towns are still nicely populated.

It's very true that Guild Wars isn't nearly as deep as a game like World of Warcraft; approach it more like an online-focused Diablo or Dungeon Siege. If you like those types of games, it's a no-brainer purchase. But constant hacking and slashing does indeed get old after awhile - just space out your playing sessions, don't get obsessive, and don't burn it out, and you should have weeks of fun awaiting you. Plus it's fun to pick up every now and then just for a quick pvp match, lending quick accessibility that you don't always find in MMORPGs.

Got this yesterday and was hooked straight off.

A meticulously finished game that has been honed and polished (which makes a change), achingly pretty - even on dated graphics cards like my ti4600 - and addictively fun. It's co-operative Diablo / Dungeon Seige / gauntlet in full 3D, you can even play it in first person if you zoom right in to see through your characters eyes.

Repetetive? yeah, so what? so was Diablo. My thing is to uncover the entire map in games like this, and take my word for it, the game world is HUGE - so this game is gonna last me a long time.

I recommend having a friend on teamspeak or skype to play it though, as like narcolepsy said, a lot of players are incredibly selfish and unhelpful, and you frequently get ignored or abused. Whoever invented the word n00b should be strung up by his bollux with razor wire. Saying that, the on-line population is interesting and varied enough to bring the place alive, with much dancing and air guitar to be seen.

very simple / intuitive gameplay
plays straight out the box
no bugs so far (except ones you kill with an axe)
no subscription fees
amazing attention to detail
graphically stunning
nice sound
no morons to pick you off and steal your stuff
loot is shared fairly
you can scribble on the compass (no, honest)

beams of sunlight through golden canopies of falling leaves, rippling streams and footprints through powdery snow.
Tonight will be another late one... :D

Piles McDangerous
level 5 fighter / elemental

I just picked it up and I'm about to start playing. Can someone send me an invite to the HL2.net guild? Thanks.

EDIT: Ok, made my char. Jade Turner.

The level cap is 20? I was thinking of buying this game in a bit, but seeing as it appears to be rather short and repetetive, I might as well stick with WoW... even if it is under £18 on amazon.

Level 20 is when the pvp starts to get fun. Thats where a lot of the game is.

Sainku said:
Level 20 is when the pvp starts to get fun. Thats where a lot of the game is.

WoW has Battlegrounds now. Battlegrounds owns any PvP action Guild Wars can come up with. I wouldn't play Guild Wars for the PvP... seeing as it's not a true MMO, I'd play it like a single player RPG, but alongside my friends. If I wanted to fight in PvP battles in an Instanced enviroment, I'd load up WoW and head for the nearest Battleground. If I wanted to experience PvP in an open landscape, with real players surrounding me, alongside me; I'd load up WoW. If I wanted a long lasting experience that I can play quietly alongside my friends, I'd buy Guild Wars... but if the (poor) endgame material hits you faster than a flying brick... I'll load up WoW.

Don't get me wrong, Guild Wars sounds like a great game, with detailed enviroments and varied missions, but... why not pay a subscription and get so much more? :borg:

Because subscription costs money. Spending that much money on a game just isn't feasable for a lot of people.

Suicide42 said:
but... why not pay a subscription and get so much more? :borg:

but, why pay for a game I have played and was bored to tears by?

The pvp in WoW sucks, battlegrounds doesn't change that. If you enjoy WoW that is great, but I didn't think it was very fun... guild wars suits my play style more.

My point was, there is no "poor endgame material". This game isn't about killing a bunch of things until your the highest level and quiting. If you dont like PvP that is fine and your much better of with WoW. This isn't about grinding, there is good fun that begins after you hit the level cap, and it is far from poor. You can't think of it as a normal mmorpg because it clearly isn't as you have pointed out yourself. So Quit doing it. I'm well aware its not a standard mmo and I'm fine with it.

Farrowlesparrow said:
Because subscription costs money. Spending that much money on a game just isn't feasable for a lot of people.

Yea, I see your point, but I get £5 a week (until I get a job, which will be soon). £2 a week goes tawards WoW. I get by :) I'll have to cancel my subscription when I stop playing, which might be annoying, but It all goes tawards paying Blizzard's bills so I'm not bothered.

Sainku said:
but, why pay for a game I have played and was bored to tears by?

The pvp in WoW sucks, battlegrounds doesn't change that. If you enjoy WoW that is great, but I didn't think it was very fun... guild wars suits my play style more.

My point was, there is no "poor endgame material". This game isn't about killing a bunch of things until your the highest level and quiting. If you dont like PvP that is fine and your much better of with WoW. This isn't about grinding, there is good fun that begins after you hit the level cap, and it is far from poor. You can't think of it as a normal mmorpg because it clearly isn't as you have pointed out yourself. So Quit doing it. I'm well aware its not a standard mmo and I'm fine with it.

All I've done is read the countless posts in this thread, and learnt from the wide variety of opinions. It seems that you've experienced both games, so I'm sure you have more of a right to express yourself in this matter. Well, maybe it's just opinion; like you said. I'll probally find myself buying the game anyway... I mean, come on , £18 could only just pay for a decent meal. Hell, I might even end up getting addicted. Who knows. What I will stand by, however, is my belief that someone who prefers WoW will get a lot more play time out of the game than someone who plays Guild Wars. But then again, you pay more, so maybe it's all fair after all.

Hmm. I'm a ranger. What kind of secondary class do you think I should go? I wouldn't mind what kind of role I play. What compliments a ranger well?

EDIT: Hmmm - anybody here still play guild wars enough to lend me an invite?

I don't think I play nearly enough to be a guild leader. Anyone wanna take my spot?

Could someone send me an invite now as well? I am "Logonitur Karn" ingame.

Rico said:
Amish. need an ingame handle for the invite.

Oh weird...looks like my 2nd edit didn't take. My name is Jade Turner ingame. I think I'm gonna go Ranger/Elementalist. I don't know if it's a good combo but I figured I'd try it out.

Suicide42 said:
WoW has Battlegrounds now. Battlegrounds owns any PvP action Guild Wars can come up with. I wouldn't play Guild Wars for the PvP... seeing as it's not a true MMO, I'd play it like a single player RPG, but alongside my friends. If I wanted to fight in PvP battles in an Instanced enviroment, I'd load up WoW and head for the nearest Battleground. If I wanted to experience PvP in an open landscape, with real players surrounding me, alongside me; I'd load up WoW. If I wanted a long lasting experience that I can play quietly alongside my friends, I'd buy Guild Wars... but if the (poor) endgame material hits you faster than a flying brick... I'll load up WoW.

Don't get me wrong, Guild Wars sounds like a great game, with detailed enviroments and varied missions, but... why not pay a subscription and get so much more? :borg:

I haven't played battlegrounds so I can't judgde, but i have raided and pvp'd in wow, and Thing is GW battles are a lot more tactical and have al ot less lagg, but it's also the way they are organized, that every pvp feels like a tournament. And WoW doesn't necesairly offer much more, GW may not be as wide as WoW but it's deep, it's a very intense PvP game, that brings out the best in a good team, and really encourages you to go on.

Back