Half-Life 2 Delay Discussion Thread

Originally posted by Mountain Man
Does anybody else find it odd that only anonymous "inside sources" are predicting doom and gloom while all named sources seem to indicate there is no delay?

hmm they say no comment.. they dont indicate there isnt a delay :borg:

Does anybody else find it odd that only anonymous "inside sources" are predicting doom and gloom while all named sources seem to indicate there is no delay?

Because it hasn't been fully decided yet. There are still unknowns that Valve and Vivendi want to work out before announcing the real release date, and on top of that, it looks like Valve and VU are fighting over when it should be released.

It's obvious that retailers have been told by Vivendi that the game won't release until Nov 14th. Like I've said before, VU is a lot more motivated to be honest and upfront with retailers than a bunch of whiny fans. Retailers need to be told about delays as soon as possible so they can deal with the new schedule, fans need to be told about the delay as late as possible so they don't lose as much interest.

It's also clear that there's some kind of conflict or disagreement, since there hasn't been an official announcement yet. Maybe VU execs are debating the CS:CZ problem. Maybe Valve is threatening a legal battle over the release date, who knows. If they continue to be silent about it, we'll all find out on Sept. 13. If there's no Gone Gold announcement on Sept. 13 it will be obvious that the original schedule was scrapped.

Now here is some excellent news. In the "Info from Valve only" thread, Gabe dropped this little nugget of information:

So it looks like "the conditions could hardly be more ideal" for a September 30 release! If rumor is to be believed, the gold date is going to be around September 13, which means they still have a month to go before they have to wrap things up completely. This is very good news indeed!

doesnt it make you wonder why he just cant say the rumours arent true ? if they are finishing up the game.. that makes no sense ;(

The people over at Valve know what they're doing, besides with all the death threats and hate mail they're getting over the delay I'm sure they won't disappoint us ;)

/me picks up teh body and puts in ocean

Rest in peace Chris D

*sniff*

Infinitum.

But it breaks my heart so much... things that make me die include:

Stupidity, Delay Threads, Leaked HL2 threads, stupidity, delay threads, tredoslop's knife, stupidity and delay threads.

It hurts.... :(

Originally posted by Diablo2k
hmm they say no comment.. they dont indicate there isnt a delay :borg:
In a recent e-mail (check the "Info from Valve" thread), Gabe said they are currently "finishing up" Half-Life 2.

In a recent e-mail (check the "Info from Valve" thread), Gabe said they are currently "finishing up" Half-Life 2.

I'm currently managing a software project at work that I've been 'finishing up' for the last 10 months now. Everytime we get 'finished' they come up with new requirements, new vendors that have to integrate, new fantasies they want me to implement. It's rediculous. And it's the same with every software project that's ever existed.

Originally posted by dscowboy
I'm currently managing a software project at work that I've been 'finishing up' for the last 10 months now. Everytime we get 'finished' they come up with new requirements, new vendors that have to integrate, new fantasies they want me to implement. It's rediculous. And it's the same with every software project that's ever existed.

Yeah, but it's slightly different to Valve, isn't it? He said in that e-mail that they've finished the game content. They'll probably be polishing the maps and the engine.

Anyway, good luck and I hope you finally get finished.

We don't even know whether the delay is on Valve's side or Videndi's side. We'll have to see. Every possible reason for the delay has been to do with Videndi, so it could not matter whether they finish the game by the 13th of September or not.

then the game might be done.. but if vivendi refuses to ship it it will still be delayed ;(

Originally posted by Diablo2k
then the game might be done.. but if vivendi refuses to ship it it will still be delayed ;(
Finishing up means its not done. There are so many things in a game this size that can be finished up... Like a few thousand textures :)
Everything have to be fully tested... It wont be done until it goes Gold. And even they I suppose then start patching a week after, hehe...

You just did hunter.

About Vivendi, their management is a bit dodgy, so if they delay the game for any reason ( publicity, marketing, whatever ) it would not come as a surprise.

Back