Half-Life 2, Doom 3 and Halo 2 - A discussion

Originally posted by Mr.Reak
He doesn’t say HL2 will suck.

right now what he's saying is a bit better, but few days ago, he kept saying hl2 sucks. I think many of u had witness that.

If he didn't start the flame, it won't be any flame...

if he says hl2 is the penis and doom3 is the vagina, they are different but both are important to develop the next generation gaming, i will be glad to accept that.

I wonder how long it'll take until someone makes something decent out of the Doom 3 engine? I'm not a big fan of the Quake series.

As for Halo 2, why is it even in the title?

The only reason I want halo 2 is because its has xbox live support, and the multiplay in halo 1 was very good, I expect 2 to be the same.

Originally posted by Reaper978
devastation for the computer, totally blows.

It's not the PC's fault. Obviously they put more work into the console version.

Oh, that, well yea, it sux.
But MicroSoft has the least out of Nintendo and Sony with game making experience. But Halo kicks ass.

Doom 3 shadows dont look real at all!

Here is my beef with them.

Too dark. Say I have a light in my office in the center of the room. My desk will have a shadow under it but this shadow is NEVER black and I can always see just fine because light "floods" a room it is darker but not so dark you cant see.

Pictures of doom look like its pitch black in the game with nothing more then a flashlight pointed at certain objects and people. It looks good for a scare but not real and I dont care for it much.

Doom 3 lights look like beams of a flashlight instead of natural lighting. I cant see a damn thing in the shadows.

Are there screenshots of anything newer Reaper? By the way are there any good Doom 3 forums like this one?

Because I want to know where the forums are ... ? So whats the address?

ok easy easy guys,
let's make two teams here, reaper with brass and the rest of doom3 fans in this thread, then smilez and me and the rest of non-doom3 fans in this thread, let's play some games online, we will surely become friends

d00d

I just read through this entire thread, and it started out pretty tame, but decended into madness.

My personal oppinion: Valve and ID are attempting to do different things with their graphics engines.

ID are attempting to implement technology (such as 100% dynamic lighting and shadowing) not currently seen in games, into games so that the next gen of PC games can benefit from it. ID have succeeded in doing this.

Valve are trying to create an engine that is capable of standing up to the latest technology, but still offering scalability and playability on older systems. Valve have succeeded in doing this.

Of course, there's more to both engines than just graphics - AI, physics and sound are also very important, and both games will very likely have outstanding implementations of these things. Both games are pushing boundaries in their own strong areas, and both are important steps forward in gaming.

Personally I'm looking forward to HL2 the most, but this is a personal preference to the HL style of gameplay. Trust me, I can't wait to get my grubby little hands on the Doom 3 engine.

One piece of information about Doom 3 though - I've heard a number of times that many of the great looking doom 3 screenshots are a bit... well, misleading. You see, instead of using low poly models with normal maps on them, ID just put in the ultra high-poly models that the normal maps were generated from. Of course, there will be many genuine screenshots, but don't expect the final game to look quite as good as the best looking shots out there.

Another oppinion of mine: Any of you who are such dedicated fanboys to any game (whether it's HL2 or Doom3 or anything else) that you defend it with your life and criticise other games (and the people who support them), all your doing is ruining your own chances of enjoying other games. Keep an open mind to everything and you'll probably get a lot of kicks out of both HL2 and D3.

Logic u won't get many responds writing a long text like that and u need to choose a side. Trust me, i had written something similar to that then my thread got locked. See brass has been here for 2 or 3 days only, we all know him for picking the side of doom3.

Well whatever, no conflict no talk. That's the purpose of the forum. somebody creates issue then people join the conversation and respond to the issue.

How about someone creates a cs server, then the rest of us join the server, the team that wins the round, get the right to talk.

I think I can make many of u speechless with awp or ak.

Originally posted by Logic
One piece of information about Doom 3 though - I've heard a number of times that many of the great looking doom 3 screenshots are a bit... well, misleading. You see, instead of using low poly models with normal maps on them, ID just put in the ultra high-poly models that the normal maps were generated from. Of course, there will be many genuine screenshots, but don't expect the final game to look quite as good as the best looking shots out there.
Uuh which screenshots are you refering to?

Oh and the doom3 forum:
http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdoom/

Grimey: I'm no expert on Doom 3 so I actually don't know, but I believe many of the early hi-res shots to be released had these high poly models in them.

gamevoodoo: Settling a debate with a game of CS? That's the most rediculous thing I've heard all day. As for having to pick a side, that's exactly the irrational attitude that causes fanboy flame wars. The purpose of these forums isn't to pick sides to an argument, and battle it out. These forums are just a place to discuss out oppinions and speculations of the as yet unreleased HL2. Where possible, these discussions should be kept civil, so that they can also be used as a source of information for people wanting to find out more about HL2.

If it's forum war you want, just create a "ID vs VALVE FLAME WARS HERE" thread in the off topic section, and argue about whatever you want, as visciously as you want.

Logic, no offense or anything but I'm pretty sure your beliefs are wrong.

gamevoodoo: Settling a debate with a game of CS? That's the most rediculous thing I've heard all day...

Man, picking side is just a joke. Settling debate on cs is another joke , but the cs one is intented to invite some people from the forum to play cs together so that we could know each other better. Maybe the joke are not funny, but lacking of seriousness in what i said concerning picking side and cs debate server is obvious.

I've read about 16 pages of this thread, and I'm not impressed with what I see. It's just turned into another heated argument, like I told you would happen. This is the final warning, if you want to keep this thread open (and thus any consecutive threads on the matter), I suggest you calm it down.

Originally posted by Abom|nation
I've read about 16 pages of this thread...I suggest you calm it down.

16 pages, lolol, man that's the longest lecture in my life so far. Yeah we are calming down now, no one got pissed off, the situation is under control. I also suggest people to bring the war to cs, let's express our anger, fear toward each other through awp, ak, colt...... finally we become friends, ain't it great?

Originally posted by gamevoodoo
16 pages, lolol, man that's the longest lecture in my life so far. Yeah we are calming down now, no one got pissed off, the situation is under control. I also suggest people to bring the war to cs, let's express our anger, fear toward each other through awp, ak, colt...... finally we become friends, ain't it great?

Those pages being 10-26, as I read the first 10 at another time. The thread's been raising and lowering constantly in terms of arguments, and I can see another big one brewing soon.

Ok I'm going to talk/walk on the tips of my toes here, cause I don't want to throw any oil on the fire and feed the flamewar, but I have a question/idea:

Since D3 will have such good lighting on models etc, but apparently, from what I hear, has issues regarding shadows when there is no ambient light but only the main map light source (sun) (ouside areas for instance), as in it makes the shadows almost totally black, and it looks a bit unrealistic. So now my question is: when ID tries to fix this, they could well trow in another piece of realism: In real-life, eyes get used to darkness because your pupils gradually open until you receive enough light to see. Of course limited, but most people actually can see alot in dark environments, as long as you have enough time for your eyes to get used to the darkness. Now if ID would decide to implement something like that in the game, that would be really cool, since Doom3 uses darkness to build up tension. If the player walks around in really dark places, he gradually sees more and more of his environment. A demon popping out and throwing a fireball would blind him a bit because it's very bright light. That type of thing.

Grimey: I may very well be wrong about the screenshots - I'm not basing what I said on any actual facts or anything I've seen myself - only what I've been told while talking to some graphics artist guys.

Ro@cH - that's not a bad idea - never been done in any game I know of before. Personally, I rather like the high level of contrast in Doom3's lighting. It adds a sense of "solidity" to the environment. In a lot of games, things seem a bit flat, or bland, because the contrast between the lighter areas and darker areas on objects isn't enough (too much reliance on ambient light). Having high contrast shadows adds a lot to the feel of the visuals in my oppinion. This, of course, is only really good for indoor stuff though. They'll definately have to do a bit of work on the outdoor ambient light. The indoor stuff should work really well though. I'm looking forward to seeing interesting (and freaky) ways of using the dynamic lights. It'll be a hell of a lot of fun to play around with in a modding\mapping sense :)

Abom|nation: I'm surprised you've tolerated the thread so far.. it did get pretty ugly there for a while :cheese:

hey, if we're gonna setltle this with a game, we should use natural selection! NS>CS:cheers:

Abom|nation: I'm surprised you've tolerated the thread so far.. it did get pretty ugly there for a while :cheese:

Wasn't here when that was going on, and it appeared to calm down after, so it got spared... just ;)

You know. I jsut have to post this picture. Ive not been able to find the right opportunity...and i still havent found it now, but i dont care.

Doom III picture. Notice the word that the letter on the front of this guys helmet makes. That would certainly be what i would be thinking in a situation like that.

Press this!
or did i mean this?

Originally post by Ro@cH

>>when there is no ambient light but only the main map light source (sun)

In life, the sun is generally the source of ambient light. (At least outside)

>>as in it makes the shadows almost totally black, and it looks a bit unrealistic.

In some shots the shadows may be a bit too dark, but I like the slight exageration. Many games go too far the other way and you end up with almost no visible shadow. Blah.

>>In real-life, eyes get used to darkness because your pupils gradually open until you receive enough light to see.

OOh. Changing size of NPC pupils would be a waste of time IMO, but changing gamma/contrast levels like sight adjustment would be pretty cool. A computer monitor simply can't display the contrast that life has.

How can anyone compare Halo 2 to D3 and HL2, the only media that has been released for Halo 2 was the e3 movie. The e3 movie doesn't show any gameplay, its just a highly detailed, action-packed cinematic that renders nothing what the final product will look like. There is nothing showing or discussing the technology behind Halo 2 in any way, so I find it difficult that this thread supposedly includes it as a worthy competitor to HL2 and D3

I think I will buy all the new fps that are coming out.

Originally posted by Styloid
Why do we have to take games that I like and pit them against each other. How about:
HL2+Doom3+Stalker+Halo2+FarCry vs. Navy SEALs: Weapons of Mass Destruction!!

Because people like to be fanboys and flame the other game. Makes no sense to me either, the only reason I am a doom 3 fanboy is because the mob of hl2 fanboys came and ripped on it so much.

Originally posted by Reaper978
Because people like to be fanboys and flame the other game. Makes no sense to me either, the only reason I am a doom 3 fanboy is because the mob of hl2 fanboys came and ripped on it so much.

Irony at its finest.

Back