Half-Life 2 Expansion Pack Announced

Reaction score
Eurogamer.net is reporting that Valve has officially announced the first expansion pack for Half-Life 2, called Half-Life 2: Aftermath (acting as a provisional title only). While you will not be playing as Alyx as previously thought, a lot of focus will be put on Alyx's character during the events of the game.

[br]Here's an excerpt from the short interview with Robin Harper and Marc Laidlaw of Valve:

As for where Aftermath is set, and the timeline, it's very much a logical continuation from where Half-Life 2 left off, as Laidlaw explains: "[Aftermath] deals with the events and issues set in motion during Half-Life 2. You've done critical damage to the Citadel. The whole place is going to go up, taking out City 17 and what's in its immediate radius. You and Alyx are leading the flight from the city getting up close and personal with some of the creatures and sights from the end of the game." Interestingly, the assumption that you continue to play as Gordon isn't justified anywhere in the text; it's possible - and perhaps more likely given the game's ending - that you play as someone else instead.

According to PC Gamer UK (who are running a story on the expansion pack in the newest issue), the game is due out in the summer. Exciting times! To read the rest of the interview, click here.

so let me get this straight ...the lost coast isnt the expansion ...this is? cool more things to look forward to ...now if they'd only announce when DoD:S will be released I'd be a happy camper

hmz.. only steam download o_0
gues that i can forget about this addon :|

Don't have a CC

But still good news :)

Wo0t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!1!1!!!!!!!!!!!1!!11!!!!

this summer! i love you valve. i bet we find out more at e3. i cant wait!

I think the newest investment will have to be a wireless lan connection to my dads study computer (for the summer, if I pass my Uni exams), he won't allow for cable running upstairs to my comp.

Interesting, I think it said the newest issue came out today with a 10 page preview or something, any new pics do you know?

woo hoo!!!!!!oneone
Because of the intitial reports of the expansion, then rumors of it being cancelled, I had all but lost hope. VALVe is cruel to play with my emotions so much, but they have made a more ecstatic and dedicated fan.

Hmm, my first thoughts were no way, hopeully it brings something new to multiplayer.

i like how they report that valve is excited to do episodic content. that makes sense because source has proven to be a great engine and theyre already familiar with it. also, steam really does make it easier for them to distribute.

Wow the first Half life expansion where u play as gordon... I wonder if all the cut levels will be in this game.... Hmmm my pelvic is tingling, I cant wait for this expansion and to see alyx :naughty:

Sufferin-rebel said:
Wow the first Half life expansion where u play as gordon... I wonder if all the cut levels will be in this game.... Hmmm my pelvic is tingling, I cant wait for this expansion and to see alyx :naughty:

Actually the article says there is no evidence that you play as Gordon. They predict that you wont. Hey, I'm just glad that Alyx didn't die!

now this time around I HOPE that they don't release as much footage and info as with HL2.. it kinda ruins the experience a bit.

The temptation is too big for me to not check out the released info/screens :}

staticprimer said:
Actually the article says there is no evidence that you play as Gordon. They predict that you wont. Hey, I'm just glad that Alyx didn't die!

Signs point to playing as Gordon. :)

The focus for Aftermath appears to break with the Half-Life tradition of presenting the storyline from the viewpoint of other key characters in the game

kaf11 said:
this summer! i love you valve. i bet we find out more at e3. i cant wait!

I don't think Valve will be at E3 this year, as they are not signed on the list of participants last I checked.

Anyways this is going to be great, But I still believe you'll still be playing as Gordon. Perhaps the exp.pack will start with a cutscene how Alyx is saved from that rapidly flying piece of rock/metal that was like centimeters from her face/torso when G-man stopped time in the end.

Dammit I hate cliffhanger endings... :)

Cruor said:
I don't think Valve will be at E3 this year, as they are not signed on the list of participants last I checked.

Anyways this is going to be great, But I still believe you'll still be playing as Gordon. Perhaps the exp.pack will start with a cutscene how Alyx is saved from that rapidly flying piece of rock/metal that was like centimeters from her face/torso when G-man stopped time in the end.

Dammit I hate cliffhanger endings... :)

I doubt it will have any cutscenes.

Man, I've been waiting for this!!! W00t! "Continuation from where Half-Life 2 left off" - can't wait!
I think that we have to wait for real press release to get more details!

Wow great news, althoug steam-only distro...not good for guys without credit crads or online payment methods.

- The EG article points out that nobody in the interview ever mentions Gordon. It's more likely that you play as someone else.

- Neither does anyone mention that it will be Steam only

- No scans yet...

Huh. Wow. Good news. Let the months of wild speculation begin!

(Though, frankly, I was hoping Alyx was killed in the blast -- guess Valve has a soft spot for her.)

Maybe TF2 will come packed with it. I can only hope :(

Cruor said:

As previous said, last year they were at ATi and VU sections.

well every1 whined because hl2 was 2 short, this is valve's reply to them
GO VALVE!! :D

Yea i cant wait to see what improvements have been made :) as well as 100 new wpns and 360 new eninimes (heh i wish)

Awesome!! I guess its time to go hurry up and finish HL2!

Personally i think it'd either be a new char or barney. i wouldn't want them to continue with gordon even though he kicks ass. gordon has been shelved packed nicely next to shepard for hl3 ;)

Oh em eff gee :D

Just think, we may get to see the hydra, the houndeye, bullsquid and all :D

OMG :D

I'm going to use the smiley again :D there we go :D oh, sorry used it again, cant stop smiling.

-Alix

CptStern said:
so let me get this straight ...the lost coast isnt the expansion
Wooo wooo! Here comes February! Last stop is you!
I'm only kidding Cap'n - I love you really :)

This sounds interesting. I would've loved to have played as Alyx in a prequel, but there you go.
I guess it's fair to assume that we won't be playing as Gordon, so the idea of an implied romantic relationship with Alyx... Well, that makes her sound like a slaaag. Ahem - yeah.
Also, I'm rather surprised she survived the explosion, but it all remains to be seen I suppose.

I just pooped my pants!

WOOOOOOOOT! Man i cant wait.

This summer?.... where have I heard that before...., Christmas sounds more like it. I think we're going to play as a random Combine soldier getting out or a Rebel Soldier doing the same :) can't wait. You think they'll implement HDR in this expension?

Back