Half-life 2 Physics comparisons.

Did you know in the box stack demo you can pick up a square and click the right mouse button to suspend it? Then when you click another box, you can command both boxes...it's fun to pick up 7 boxes and twirl them around. I got a nice atom-type thing going with 5 boxes revolving around one :D

Scapegoat said:
Only the newer made maps will be truly designed with the physics in mind (specially the fun maps).
i believe valve said that after the initial release with the updated maps, they will make new maps which take advantage of physics/larger size capabilities

OCybrManO said:
The Source engine can't detach body parts? If you can't do that how do you chop a zombie in half?

HL2 isn't meant to be like Soldier of Fortune. You won't be tearing everyone apart just to show off a feature of the physics engine.

You can detach anything you want if it's modeled that way. :)

SubKamran said:
Did you know in the box stack demo you can pick up a square and click the right mouse button to suspend it? Then when you click another box, you can command both boxes...it's fun to pick up 7 boxes and twirl them around. I got a nice atom-type thing going with 5 boxes revolving around one :D
Actually you can do it with all of them. Try on the spinning top one (lags my computer) or procedural walk - can get big orgies going.

Did anyone else think that that Jeep demo was ridiculously bad? It felt like everything had the mass of an empty paint can. I think the sign of a good physics engine is one in which objects feel real by your interaction with it, and not how many boxes you can stack.

Adam

fifty7var said:
Did anyone else think that that Jeep demo was ridiculously bad? It felt like everything had the mass of an empty paint can. I think the sign of a good physics engine is one in which objects feel real by your interaction with it, and not how many boxes you can stack.

Adam

Im sure if they wanted to set the weight of objects, they can. As seen in alot of hl2 movies, and in other games with this good of physics, objects of different mass acted differently.

Give them some credit for making these physics demos though. It doesn't have to realistic, the fact that its showing off what can be done is good enough.
Whats the use in showing off a jeep that doesn't do anything but stall on little bump?

Infact.. in the piston demo, theres different mass, the pink balls that drop onto the piston have to be able heavy enough to move the piston.

Evil^Milk said:
HL2's physics look great, but yeah, seeing the Meqon demos just made HL2's physics look bad (concerning water dynamics) ;(

The water physics seemed far more advanced in the Meqon demos whereas in HL2 there are no physically rendered water dynamics, just sprites and DX9 effects. I'm hoping Valve will upgrade this in the future though...

nonetheless hl2 will be great :thumbs:

Even in meqon the watter physics werent all that good.... the waves didn't move other objects..

The HL2 object physics is better, I have my sources! I have even tested some stuff with it myself after seeing this meqon demo

Thanks Patsy

My thoughts...

I did some reading and learned that Max Payne 2 used the Havok Physics engine as well... This concerns me because I own Max Payne 2 and have seen its physics in action. While it was nice, it was nothing ground breaking - to me it just added the extra pazazz that Max Payne needed... It was sort of like "psudo-physics" as some friends put it.

If Half-Life 2 is using Havok physics, it will not be anything special; we will have already seen it. I have played around with (and still am :p) the Meqon Physics and I absolutely love it. I know it is an impossibility, but I really wish that Valve had gone with Meqon instead of Havok :(.

Either way you look at it, Half-Life 2 is still going to be a spectacular game, even with dated physics.

Regards,
Jdawgg

Heh, that's the Max Payne 2 implementation of Havok, as opposed to the highly-tweaked and heavily-integrated-into-gameplay implementation of Havok that VALVe are using in HL2...

Jdawgg said:
My thoughts...

I did some reading and learned that Max Payne 2 used the Havok Physics engine as well... This concerns me because I own Max Payne 2 and have seen its physics in action. While it was nice, it was nothing ground breaking - to me it just added the extra pazazz that Max Payne needed... It was sort of like "psudo-physics" as some friends put it.

If Half-Life 2 is using Havok physics, it will not be anything special; we will have already seen it. I have played around with (and still am :p) the Meqon Physics and I absolutely love it. I know it is an impossibility, but I really wish that Valve had gone with Meqon instead of Havok :(.

Either way you look at it, Half-Life 2 is still going to be a spectacular game, even with dated physics.

Regards,
Jdawgg

I just want you to know, if I could reach through the screen and slap you for... A. being completely wrong and acting like u know anything
B. bringing up a 3 week old thread
...i would.

guinny said:
I just want you to know, if I could reach through the screen and slap you for... A. being completely wrong and acting like u know anything
B. bringing up a 3 week old thread
...i would.

There's nothing wrong with his post..

Except his understanding of the differences between VALVe's Havok and the Max Payne 2 Havok...

http://meqon.com/news/20040924.php

Version 1.4 released, new tools and features

24st of September, 2004

The 1.4 version of the Meqon SDKs is now available for evaluation and purchase. The latest version features an overall improvement of engine stability, new versions of the Character and Vehicle modules, as well as new productivity enhancing tools.

The Meqon Agent and the Meqon Remote Debugger adds priceless features like memory debugging, network licenses, CPU profiling and visual debugging. Every function call and every memory allocation can be traced and logged, perfect to effortlessly ensure top notch performance.

The character module features improved performance and many new features to easily integrate character with or without animation into games. Characters can be completely animated and still interact realistically with its surroundings. Moreover, any number of bones can be used to set up the physical description of the characters and any number of these bones can be simulated.

The new vehicle module features a rich feature set that enables all kind of wheel based vehicles to be easily set up. Any number of motors, axis, clutches, gearboxes and wheels can be attached to realistically simulate all sorts of wheel based vehicles.

Go to the download page and check it out!

Just thought everyone would like to know.

Cheers,
bbyybb.

The walk demo (in ragdolls) is awesome! It's very realistic how they trip and fall over each other and the bar

Jdawgg said:
My thoughts...

Regards,
Jdawgg

Half-Life 2 uses a heavily modified version of the Havok engine, which is, perhaps, better then Havok 2 in some ways.

bbyybb said:
http://meqon.com/news/20040924.php

Version 1.4 released, new tools and features

24st of September, 2004

The 1.4 version of the Meqon SDKs is now available for evaluation and purchase. The latest version features an overall improvement of engine stability, new versions of the Character and Vehicle modules, as well as new productivity enhancing tools.

The Meqon Agent and the Meqon Remote Debugger adds priceless features like memory debugging, network licenses, CPU profiling and visual debugging. Every function call and every memory allocation can be traced and logged, perfect to effortlessly ensure top notch performance.

The character module features improved performance and many new features to easily integrate character with or without animation into games. Characters can be completely animated and still interact realistically with its surroundings. Moreover, any number of bones can be used to set up the physical description of the characters and any number of these bones can be simulated.

The new vehicle module features a rich feature set that enables all kind of wheel based vehicles to be easily set up. Any number of motors, axis, clutches, gearboxes and wheels can be attached to realistically simulate all sorts of wheel based vehicles.

Go to the download page and check it out!

Just thought everyone would like to know.

Cheers,
bbyybb.

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

[[LuCkY]] said:
Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

yah that just started doing that.

They're going to be asking "wtf" later on lol...another site bought down to its knee's by HL2 fans hehe

Remember how Valve used the Quake engine with several fixes/lines of code from Quake 2 and basically made their own Half-Life engine which STILL has people playing games on it today? Did it resemble the Quake engine? Sure, but it was a lot better, and it's held mods just about as long as the Quake 3 engine has.

So do you think Valve, saying they have added a lot of things to the Havok code, have made all of the modifications needed to it to make the game fun/realistic/enjoyable? I'm going to say yes. Yes, it will be something created from the Havok code, but it's always nice to have a starting point. Look what Valve did with the Quake engine.

Some of you worry way too much. Try not to think about HL2 so much and just enjoy it for what it is when it comes out.

Keep in mind that physics are in their baby-steps in games right now. This is kind of like the jump from 2D to 3D games. With every step, people are amazed with how much more realistic and lifelike games become, and after every step, people wonder how they thought the last level was lifelike at all.

The metagon people put in a good effort, and for that they deserve some praise.

However those of you who are saying the metagon demo is better than HL2 really don't know what you're talking about.
--

You know, of all of the games I've played so far, the Max Payne 2 physics were by far the best (and Doom 3 was by far the worst). Farcry comes in a not-so-close second place (of games I've played). I've always had a sense ofr how things react or move, and the only physics demo/engine I've played with that seems right is Max Payne 2. I mean the object were probably lighter than they should have been (it's cool seeing some guy blasted into a stack of boxes), but the way the objects moves just felt 4x as real as any other game.

There's more to physics than simply defining a shape and a mass; and that is why I believe most physics demonstratiosn I've seen so far feel extremly unrealistic.

Half-Life 2 physics are'nt as fast as meqon physics in that demo but they are more accurate.

Dirtbiker100 said:
Half-Life 2 physics are'nt as fast as meqon physics in that demo but they are more accurate.
But then Half-Life 2 has a lot more going on at once not to menton the high res. textures. andd they're more accurate :thumbs:

Back