Half-life 2 Physics comparisons.

Xenome said:
In the castle 'demo' of the physics thingie certain walls have flickering textures, did anybody else notice this?

Did'nt happan for me. Maybe its your video card.

The Mistress said:
Its not just useing Havok, its highly modded, so for all we know it could be alot more impressive.
Actually, Valve's customizations to the original Havok code have made it closer to--and perhaps it even surpasses--the new Havok 2 engine.

Mountain Man said:
Actually, Valve's customizations to the original Havok code have made it closer to--and perhaps it even surpasses--the new Havok 2 engine.
isnt that what he/she said?

OK, I just played with the meqon demo and DAMN is it fun. Best time waster ever :p
The main thing in there which HL2 probably won't have is the animation blending and the water surface. I'm pretty sure you will be able to get cloth in HL2, Far Cry has it (or something like it) anyway.

Xenome said:
In the castle 'demo' of the physics thingie certain walls have flickering textures, did anybody else notice this?

I noticed that but I can't really say I cared...I was more interested in the physic objects than a quickly made model of a castle.

Also, I haven't had any problems with the water demo either. Spinning the blocks around causes ripples in the water the way it should.
I have an AMD processor, could this be a P2-4 problem?

Spoiler alert:

FC has Cloth at the place you discover fatboys.

Tiddalick said:
I think the Physics in HL2 will be just fine.
Games = Need good Gameplay.
I don't using CPU cycles to work out how cloth is ruffled due to wind, pressure etc is useful for the Game, ie no effect on the fun.

As long as people don't start getting super computers in their home we will NEVER see 'true' physical simulations, just (hopefully) good approximations. These formulas work to give approximate calculations to how the object will react (ie throw in some spin and make it fly over to a sirection), by making assumptions to ensure that they can be calculated in real time they will never be 'perfect' (not that perfection is possible anyway).
As discussed in the Wired article [discussing ClearSpeed's CS301 chips], an ordinary desktop PC outfitted with six PCI cards, each containing four of the CS301 chips, would perform at about 600 gigaflops (or more than half a teraflop). At this level of performance, the PC would qualify as one of the 500 most powerful supercomputers in the world.
... and all for only $25,000. I hope that kind of power becomes standard within the next 5 years (it's actually possible). Their next project is a 64-bit, multi-threaded chip.

Real-time fluid dynamics in HL3? Yes, please!

that's sick...shall be useful for more than just games.

P.S. where you discover fat boys...what's a fat boy? How about just describing what it is.

There are cloth-like fishing nets in Far Cry, (I think there was one inside a hut on the 'blowing up the satellite dish' level). Also, in some of the labs there are transparent plastic curtains with cloth physics.

i never noticed them...i only have geforce 2 though...i didn;t even get the water effects... sob

Basic cloth physics (like the curtains in Splinter Cell) are essentially the same as the technology behind the mattresses in the HL2 bink videos. A mattress is just heavier and quite a bit more rigid.

So, ummm... I hate to sound repetitive... but... "It's a design decision, not a limitation."

Mr-Fusion said:
That demo was better it has water and cloth physics!!

HL2 physics IS SUCK!!!

not atall, lol (sarcasm? lol). those examples look like there an adaptation of 3D studio Max's REACTOR, with some programmed add ons, such as constraints and flex. HL2's objects are totally dynamic to the impact of bullets , explosions, of diffrenet forces.. stress, and break model transitions that fit seemlessly..

Its far more complex when it comes to the dynamic games.

HL2 physics are by far the most advanced dynamic game physics around.

you hundred percent certain? If you got it from the leak i don't give two shits but just tell me you know that...please?

What I miss in HL2,FarCry, Max Payne II, Painkiller etc. is some more weight! In the strider video where a huge pillar falls to the ground it doesn't make any sound at all? I wish it would be like: "BAAAAAAAANG KRAASHHHHH KRRRRRR!!!!"

Fenric said:
The fun bit with physics in HL2 will be how you use it. Things Valve probably wouldn't have planned for. Say instead of running through a load of zombies blasting with your shotgun, you setup your own trap, balance a load of heavy objects then at the right moment trigger them say by shooting out a piece and have them fall killing the zombies. Or just blocking a way through and giving yourself more time. Maybe picking up pieces of the scenary and using them as shields to get past difficult area's. Lots of things which don't come across as so obvious. Imaginative people are going to have way more fun with HL2 I think

The tables, vases, chairs, etc. in CS:S are all physics objects now. Want to control the CT rush in dust2? Push the crates into a row and use it as a firing barricade. Drop rocks on heads from the rooftops. Bar doors with tables, dressers, or anything else.

And don't even get me started on the possibilities with the Manipulator.

The link started working

Wow, that was impressive

Ive never used the source engine so i cant compare

clarky003 said:
HL2 physics are by far the most advanced dynamic game physics around.

No they are not. Havok 2 has detachable limbs, animation blending, and localized ragdolls. HL2 does not.

Actually HL2 does have animation blending and localized ragdolls. I believe its in the Valve thread

Sparta said:
Actually HL2 does have animation blending and localized ragdolls. I believe its in the Valve thread

It does not have true animation blending iirc.

what!? said:
Havok 2 has detachable limbs. . . HL2 does not.
The Source engine can't detach body parts? If you can't do that how do you chop a zombie in half?

HL2 isn't meant to be like Soldier of Fortune. You won't be tearing everyone apart just to show off a feature of the physics engine.

wouldn't true animation blending be flinching when they are shot? That would also be localized ragdolls too wouldn't?

They can blend animations, forward kinematics, inverse kinematics, ragdolls, etc. They already said that. They even gave us the number of different things that could be blended (though, I've forgotten it).

Localized ragdolls would be like having a dead arm that is just flopping around while you move.

Hell even hitman 2 has cloth physics. It'd imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to do. I'd be damn surprised if it wasn't included into HL2 somewhere. Even if it isn't, who gives a sheet? lol, I'm so funny.

Who really cares that much anyway? The only time cloth physics are good is when you pass through a curtain or when you or another character are wearing a trenchcoat

GorgeousOrifice said:
The tables, vases, chairs, etc. in CS:S are all physics objects now. Want to control the CT rush in dust2? Push the crates into a row and use it as a firing barricade. Drop rocks on heads from the rooftops. Bar doors with tables, dressers, or anything else.

And don't even get me started on the possibilities with the Manipulator.

How do you know all the stuff that is in de_dust2 will be made objects, instead remaining as part of the level geometry? Gameplay of CS would only be effected by physics if the map makes use of objects.

Valve havn't said anything about the maps for CS: Source that they are porting over, how much they will change (we know it will have object geometry and textures), but to make objects that are actually part of the geometry of the map into physically stimulated objects would totally change (and probably ruin) the map.

Think about it, if you could move all the crates in de_dust, then everyone would spawn camp, or plant the bomb and block the doorways.

Imagine in de_aztec, if you could shoot out the bridge, and blast apart the double doors. People would shoot them to bits as they pass so the enemy could not make use of them.

Only the newer made maps will be truly designed with the physics in mind (specially the fun maps).

if u watch the new cs:s movie it shows the player moving a table in front of a doorway, and i was impressed when a player got shot and fell down on the stairs instead of sliding down he just lay there with his body conformed to the shape of the stairs(in realistic possibiltys that is).

Kazuki_Fuse said:
Hell even hitman 2 has cloth physics. It'd imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to do. I'd be damn surprised if it wasn't included into HL2 somewhere. Even if it isn't, who gives a sheet? lol, I'm so funny.

lol, actually that was funny.

where is this "new" cs:s movie? i dont believe i've seen it.

can someone PM me a link please? thank you

The new source video (31mb) can be found Here and is in German. I'm learning german and can understand some of it, but it's not the speech that I find interesting. EDIT: It would appear that the link is now inactive. I'll post some piccies if it doesn't come back up, or better yet, upload it to an FTP server ;)

Oh, and if you thought those other physics demos were impressive, check out this. The people at Naturalmotion have been very busy making mainly character specific physics and reactions to stimuli.

venturon said:
The new source video (31mb) can be found Here and is in German. I'm learning german and can understand some of it, but it's not the speech that I find interesting. EDIT: It would appear that the link is now inactive. I'll post some piccies if it doesn't come back up, or better yet, upload it to an FTP server ;)

Oh, and if you thought those other physics demos were impressive, check out this. The people at Naturalmotion have been very busy making mainly character specific physics and reactions to stimuli.

That video is only for subcribers, to my knowledge. Doesn't it say that on the news page?

what!? said:
No they are not. Havok 2 has detachable limbs, animation blending, and localized ragdolls. HL2 does not.

No game uses Havok 2 at the moment, so HL2 pwns j00.

Forgetting about painkiller? They use Havok 2.0... i just believe they havn't used ALL of its features either, but its still 2.0

:dozey:

Scapegoat said:
How do you know all the stuff that is in de_dust2 will be made objects, instead remaining as part of the level geometry? Gameplay of CS would only be effected by physics if the map makes use of objects.

Valve havn't said anything about the maps for CS: Source that they are porting over, how much they will change (we know it will have object geometry and textures), but to make objects that are actually part of the geometry of the map into physically stimulated objects would totally change (and probably ruin) the map.

Think about it, if you could move all the crates in de_dust, then everyone would spawn camp, or plant the bomb and block the doorways.

Imagine in de_aztec, if you could shoot out the bridge, and blast apart the double doors. People would shoot them to bits as they pass so the enemy could not make use of them.

Only the newer made maps will be truly designed with the physics in mind (specially the fun maps).

Exactly.

Valve could make a map that has lots of objects that can be moved/interacted, or it can do about the opposite like Far Cry and make basically nothing interactable in MP.

Back