Half-Life 2 Pre-Loading

Chris D

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This has just been posted on the SteamPowered website:
The second phase of the Half-Life 2 preload begins to Steam account holders today.

This will allow users to download the majority of the audio of Half-Life 2 in encrypted form. No purchase is required to pre-load Half-Life 2, but is required to activate the game. The moment the game is made available, those who have pre-loaded and purchased Half-Life 2 via Steam will be ready to start playing right away.
Just restart your Steam clients to start receiving the second stage.

Dirk Pitt is an awesome hero. Love all the books. Cant wait for Sahara the movie, as long as they give Cussler the final say on the script. Anyways, this is good news, although not too exciting.

Dirk Pitt said:
Hey! you stole my thunder Chris_D! =P
Hehe, mine was just about posted first. We always keep the first posted thread open as standard to be fair.

To be honest, I posted it in the wrong forum but I was just able to copy it across to make it appear on the front page so thought I might as well leave it here.

So that means they are on schedual for a 2005 release yes?

So this is another gig of compressed files. I thought I remembered reading that the game is about 2 gigs compressed...

Woo. This is nice news. I guess the bandwidth increase DID mean something then.

Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman, rise and shine.

Not that I wish to imply you've been waiting impatiently; no one is more deserving of a fun game, and all the effort in the world would have gone to waste until... well. Let's just say the game hasn't gone gold yet.

So, wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and continue your preload.

/I am so sorry

i hope this means the game is coming within a month or on september 22 like that magazine says... i hope

-merc

urseus said:
So that means they are on schedual for a 2005 release yes?

I wouldn't be that pessimistic. I think the release will be sooner than that.

you know what this means

It's peanut bu-- .. god dammit, I cant find the link atm.. Oh well, I'll do that when its gold

Still to come, Maps (could be heavy) Models (Quite small considering all the textures are done) and final game data (tiny).

Instantaneous boner.

See how good it is when Valve just spring things on us?

This is the new file.

Attachments

• yo.jpg
    yo.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 539
YAY! I knew the bandwith ment something. I'm glad they UPPED the bandwith. Im getting 2.5 mbps dls now instead of 1.

im betting halflife2 will be relelased in the next 2 weeks. theres 2 gigs of preloaded files on our computers and the game is about 3 gigs or so according to gabe iirc.

Lobster said:
Still to come, Maps (could be heavy) Models (Quite small considering all the textures are done) and final game data (tiny).

uhhh I think the textures are the .wads (or the hl2 equivalent anyways...), since the model textures will be stored within the actual models

John Romero said:
im betting halflife2 will be relelased in the next 2 weeks. theres 2 gigs of preloaded files on our computers and the game is about 3 gigs or so according to gabe iirc.

I'll give it to the end of the month, just to be safe.

4.5(!) megabits per second here. much faster than the last one.

They did say "We will release it by the end of the summer" Hopefully they can stick to such a vauge release date, even if it is the last day of summer.

epmode said:
4.5(!) megabits per second here. much faster than the last one.

Probably because it was unexpected and some people haven't realised it's out yet.

I hope the first person to get the full file cracks it open and looks for any clues for the second test. Dear God, I hope we find enough to solve this bastard thing.

Woot! Man this is exciting!

Attachments

• steam.JPG
    steam.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 406
Feath said:
Probably because it was unexpected and some people haven't realised it's out yet.
i jumped on the last one within 10 minutes, but maybe you're right..

Good good.... maybe when I get power back after Hurricane Frances HL2 will be out! At least there is something to look forward to. (maybe)

Damn, you're in the path of that hurricane too, eh? Umm...You should probably not read my sig then.....

What's taking them so long? I could do this a lot faster. I think I will make my own block busting game. Then put it out in 38 hours. Show them who's boss.

Really though. WHAT THE HELL. they are sloooowwwww.... geeze.

Can someone tell me where the pre-load saves to as default. Because i pre-loaded the first one, and decided im going to buy it instead now, so me needs to delete it :( I would make a new thread, but i thought it kinda fits in here? Cheers, im hopeless, i cant find it. :imu:

Finally, part two of staring at the hl2 icon. I wonder what's going to happen next.

Man I was just doing som eboring h/w and then I check this trusty site and BAM suprised me... anyway its getting that much closer!

Chris_D said:
I posted it in the wrong forum

couldnt have said it better myself.
:p
:cheers: kidding, you know I wub you Chris.
thanks for the heads up
headsup
ketsup
:)

Damn to many ppl jumped on it, my speed slowed right down to <1megabit

Back