Half-Life 2 Pre-Loading

Probably a news post they did about the "Zero bugs in 16 days thing" and assuming it's happened already. It probably has but it hasn't been confirmed

Daaaang, I was playing World of Warcraft... then Hazar told me about this... but apparently it was too late to connect... because Steam hasn't done jack crap in like two hours... 52% it says... and it hasn't moved.

people, if you want to know how many kiloBYTES you are downloading a second, divide your speed by 8. if you are getting 2.0mbits a second, 2000 divided by 8 = 250k/s

Phase 1: Preload Content pack 1

Phase 2: Preload Content pack sound

Phase 3 Preload Content pack maps

Phase 4 Preload Content pack mrfreeman.wav

Phase 5 Preload Content pack texture3452.bmp

Phase 6 Recover from accidently leaking source tree to all steam users

Phase 7 New CS source patch

Phase 8 Recover from accidently leaking hl2 coding guide

Phase 9 Recover from leaking SDK

Phase 10 begin level 57 Bug checking

Phase 11 Begin level 58 bug checking

Phase 12 Recover from accidently leaking coffee all over main storage servers

Phase 13 Preload Road.bmp

Phase 14 Load images of HL2 compared to recently released Duke Nukem Forever

Phase 15 Update source engine to run on new Crystaline Hard Drives and Duotronic chipsets

Phase 16 Update source to work on users PCs who are on Martian Colony z45 and have red dust issues.

Phase 17 Half Life 2 goes gold

Phase 18 Release delayed due to leaked Plot outline.

Just to let y'all know that have been sitting at 52% forever... I was for a while and decided to get impatient and reloading steam several times and I finally got it to start uploading... im now at 91.7% averagin around 500-600 kb/s

Chris_D said:
Probably a news post they did about the "Zero bugs in 16 days thing" and assuming it's happened already. It probably has but it hasn't been confirmed

Maybe. But CS:Source test probably raised a few more bugs and optimisation was probably necessary to work well on most machines. And if some bad showstopper bugs appeared we're screwed for some more days.

urseus, stop the bullshit...there are other forums for you people
lamerforum.com and 14yearsold.com/whining

Akilles said:
urseus, stop the bullshit...there are other forums for you people
lamerforum.com and 14yearsold.com/whining

I thought it was pretty funny, and by the looks of things you are the only one whining.

Hmmm...crystaline hard drives... *drools*

So, to sum up:

HL2 is 3.5 GB big
1 GB of textures
1 GB of sounds

What's left?
1 GB of models&maps?
500 MB of code? :rolling:

weird
second preloading hasnt started for me - its stuck on 52%
i tried the "pause and continue", though when trying to continue i just get a "validating steam files" menu for a second and it disappears.
any ideas?

Glo said:
weird
second preloading hasnt started for me - its stuck on 52%
i tried the "pause and continue", though when trying to continue i just get a "validating steam files" menu for a second and it disappears.
any ideas?

restart steam, it'll find another content server and download quite happily.

A.I. said:
500 MB of code? :rolling:

Naa, Valve are saving themselves bandwidth/time on the code since everyone has it from downloading the stolen version ;)

Baddum tish! :p

Haha, nice chris :p

Anyway, this game will be bigger then 3Gb, unless valve is wierd.

\o/ I'm preloading too now!11

oldagerocker said:
restart steam, it'll find another content server and download quite happily.

tried that too actually

im thinking about cancling and redownload the whole thing

I wonder how many pre load phases there will be, cos the first was released about a week ago. If they are planning to release 5 or 6 more then we are in October. Can someone give me an guess on how many Gigs the game will be. 2 Gig's would be rather small right? Cos UT 2004 was 5.5 Gig's , I understand that there was all the UT 2003 content. And I definately need HL 2 in September for the sake of the people around me.
Labia

Won't Hl:Source, CS:Source and any other conversions come in one of the preloads too?? or can you just dl them seperately in steam?

Labia Minora said:
I wonder how many pre load phases there will be, cos the first was released about a week ago. If they are planning to release 5 or 6 more then we are in October. Can someone give me an guess on how many Gigs the game will be. 2 Gig's would be rather small right? Cos UT 2004 was 5.5 Gig's , I understand that there was all the UT 2003 content. And I definately need HL 2 in September for the sake of the people around me.
Labia

quoted from Gabe Newell at hl2fallout.com:

"Half-Life 2 is about 3.5 GB uncompressed and about 2 GB compressed. This doesn't include CS:Source, HL-1:Source, DoD:Source, the SDK, or whatever. It's just the straight HL-2 sizes."

jaguar_987 said:
quoted from Gabe Newell at hl2fallout.com:

"Half-Life 2 is about 3.5 GB uncompressed and about 2 GB compressed. This doesn't include CS:Source, HL-1:Source, DoD:Source, the SDK, or whatever. It's just the straight HL-2 sizes."

Was that the "real" gabe?
If yes, that would suggest that the second preload was the last one?
Not counting the final Engine DL with the decryption keys etc.

Wowbagger said:
Was that the "real" gabe?
If yes, that would suggest that the second preload was the last one?
Not counting the final Engine DL with the decryption keys etc.

Yes - it was the "Real" gabe. The reason why everyone fell for the gold hoax was because it was the real Gabe all the time posting important stuff, and then some, untill someone found out his pass.

Yeah, that was an odd situation, although blame can certainly be smeared around a fair bit. I just hope no one realises that my password is "edc"... OH NOES1!1

At least with this continual trickle of content it implies that they're finalising... something. Presumably, the game is all but finished and currently their testers are working around the clock to winkle out any remaining bugs.

Oh, and hopefully saying helpful things like "Urrgh, this map plays like the Lambda Complex. I have to warn you, if you keep it in I'll remove your head and feed your still-warm brain to Romero."

Its been said that dodsource wont be released with hl2, so i dont know what to believe.

Sorry if i dont make you laugh akillies. Its australian way to push the envelope.

Anyway, its not like thats very different from the schedual valve seem to be on currently.

There are going to be 10 preloads. ETA slated for Feb 2005 on steam launch.... YEA THATS IT jkjkjkjkjkj

but seriously, HOW MANY OF THESE PRELOADS ARE THERE grrrrrr
is 5 it or are there 6?????

There are five at the moment but there are likely to be a few more.

Back