Half-Life 2 Pre-Loading

The GCF file itself is 972MB
I don't know what it'll be when I extract all the pretty wav files (That don't play!!! [Edit] YET [/Edit])

>Gr@xx

hovering around 1.0mb/s on content server 8, 65.1% complete (big game!)

is it stopping at 95% for anyone else?

There are 5491 files in the GCF
Many MP3s
Many more WAVs
some BCF files (batch converters?)

There is a directory called "TEST" but it doesn't containg anything special (as far as I can tell)

Inside the Test directory there is anohter dir called:

hl1hazaudio

Is that a clue?

There are a couple of folders called novaprospekt
there are some files with barnacle in the title
as well as 'test' but it's part of the words 'minutesto'

i'm getting between 2.5Mb/s and 2.2Mb/s, content server 9. 76% completed so far.

Graxx said:
There are 5491 files in the GCF
Many MP3s
Many more WAVs
some BCF files (batch converters?)

There is a directory called "TEST" but it doesn't containg anything special (as far as I can tell)

Inside the Test directory there is anohter dir called:

hl1hazaudio

Is that a clue?

There are a couple of folders called novaprospekt
there are some files with barnacle in the title
as well as 'test' but it's part of the words 'minutesto'

something in the last HL update?
omg you know how old that is?

cadaveca said:
something in the last HL update?
omg you know how old that is?

the new update has just added on to the old gcf, so he's lookin at old files...

oldagerocker said:
the new update has just added on to the old gcf, so he's lookin at old files...

No, I'm looking at the new "base source shared sounds.gcf"
It contains a directory called hl1hazaudio, that's all. I was just pionting that out and asking a question.

I'm stuck on 52% as well. Anyone know why?

It stopped. Mine's stuck at 60%. I was getting great speed. Then crappy. Then nothing.

I'm still trying to get it lol... but hey I know this is kind of off topic and don't know if this is allowed to be said (so sorry if I break a rule) but has anyone checked to see if there is more information on test #2 or if there is another test in this GCF file?

Jackal hit said:
i'm getting between 2.5Mb/s and 2.2Mb/s, content server 9. 76% completed so far.

um, sry to ask a lame question but how do you know what speed you are getting and what content server you are getting it from? I just have a progress bar.

Right-click on your Steam icon in the system tray and select "Monitor".

I was stuck too in 52%. Then i restart the steam (not unpause) then I see a steam update progress bar, then the preload begun

why does valve put stuff in the GCF that they want us to look at? Isnt undoing the gcf illegal anyway?

When I open the Monitor I can´t see what server I´m conected. The bok in the bottom is empty. I only see what is updating and what speed. And you? Have you got this problem too?

just wondering...is anyone happy that a Valve employee actually kept their word about HL2 pre-loading phases? :p
at least they got something right.. finally.. eh? :)

Dr. Freeman said:
just wondering...is anyone happy that a Valve employee actually kept their word about HL2 pre-loading phases? :p
at least they got something right.. finally.. eh? :)

its better when they dont give specific dates. they should continue to surprise us

MrBongo said:
Assuming it isn't Valve making it... ;)

2 years sounds good for HL3 if they really stick with modest upgrades to Source. I'll bet their non-technical departments have already been working on it for months. Either that, or they've started on another non-HL Source game to be completed relatively quickly. Or maybe they've commited those resources to TF2.

see people i told you..increasing avail. bandwith can only mean good things

It would be funny if someone made a half life 3 mod lol. What would valve do. If they made the story really convincing, it would sure pressure valve in way they wouldn't have thought about.

Mine is stuck at 62%... Why?

EDIT: After restarting Steam a couple of times, it still didn't work. I simply clicked "PAUSE" then clicked "CONTINUE", and the download was fixed. What a silly program. It decides to PAUSE half-way through.

mayro said:
why does valve put stuff in the GCF that they want us to look at? Isnt undoing the gcf illegal anyway?

uh,so they know how secure the game is, and to keep you busy while they rush out the rest.
say it DID go gold...couple weeks to print...distribute wroldwide...
they gotta protect that investment as long as possible.
and yes, it is illegal.
the stuff is encrypted, and to decomplie the gcf's in th first place is a violation if the steam EUA.

uh...rot13 the file extension, maybe...
or maybe the letters on the buildings in the strider video, "tht" and "umf", have something t odo with it.
who cares tho...it's quite obviously on its way.
i read on IGN that it was already RC'd to vivendi...check it out for yourself

Back