*~*Half-Life 2 preload begins August 17*~*

It would be really damn nice of them if they were to let everyone download the SDK on or around the 17th as well.

Then we would really have something to cheer about. Though I somewhat doubt that will happen. ;(

trantjd said:
Yes, but it will only sit on your hard drive so you won't have to download it later. It will be in an encrypted file and will not be accessible. I doubt there will be anything that we'll be able to get our hands on in this pre-cache.

maybe our resident haxor Chris_D has something to say about that? :p :LOL:
right Chris? :E

it is good planning to do this. I remember when CS 1.6 came out the download waits were days at a time for a while. I couldnt play for a week because everyone was downloading at once. They seem to be planning this better, and I read somewhere that they are pretty sure they have enough room for everyone. Sounds good to me! :thumbs:

also, the more i think about it, the more i wonder why a preload would be so far from the expected release date. They dont really need 4 months preload time do they? (im assuming 4 months becuase the furthest release date i have seen was 4 months from now.) Files would be sitting on our pc's for a while and we would have to just stare at them for ever. Maybe we will get it sooner than we think.

ManHacks said:
it is good planning to do this. I remember when CS 1.6 came out the download waits were days at a time for a while. I couldnt play for a week because everyone was downloading at once. They seem to be planning this better, and I read somewhere that they are pretty sure they have enough room for everyone. Sounds good to me! :thumbs:

They have struck a deal with limelight networks to host content servers for them ..AFAIK..someone correct me if I'm off the mark here!

:D

paaatry time

BEST GAME 2004 is near

:eek: :naughty: :rolling: :bounce: :thumbs: :cheese: :LOL:

Awsome, awomse news guys. This is 100% accurate information.

/me is going to drink a glass of MILK :E

They have a few new sponsors providing content servers, they have alot more than when steam went live, and alot of bugs have been squashed since then.

Well preloading is entirely irellevant for a 56ker like me...

...but the impending possibility of release sure as hell isn't. ONWARD!

Permit me to say.... OMG TEH WOOT!

How things change in the space of four hours since I last went online :p

obiwanquinobi said:
They have struck a deal with limelight networks to host content servers for them ..AFAIK..someone correct me if I'm off the mark here!

:D

o i didnt know that, thats good. Im sure they wont have problems, people hated valve when the backload, or lack of bandwidth, happened. I never had too many problems, and steam was a good idea in my opinion.

Crusader said:
Permit me to say.... OMG TEH WOOT!

How things change in the space of four hours since I last went online :p

yeah, i mean its not a 'Gold' announcement or anything like that- but its a great indicator that the games coming very soon!

Happy days are up ahead man! :LOL:

Gorgon said:
Awsome, awomse news guys. This is 100% accurate information.

/me is going to drink a glass of MILK :E

:cheers:

now all love valve :cheese:

The Mullinator said:
It will still be usefull to get though since it will shorten download times once the full game is finally released and take stress off of Steam.

Exactly what I was stating...just put a little clearer... :p

It's always good to know that they have actually been making a game all these years. Up to this point, I was afraid they were fabricating all this in a master plan to bring up the suiciderate of teenagers when they broke they news that HL2 was fake all along.

they are only preloading the stuff that wont change.. that means it still might be a while before halflife2 is actually released

Big Fat Duck said:
they are only preloading the stuff that wont change.. that means it still might be a while before halflife2 is actually released

This is true...but why do it now unless it's getting pretty close? Would make little sense and piss off many people (once again) if there was a long delay.

Hmm wonder if they are just waiting for the tests of CS:S before finalizing everything...

If that's the case, and CS:S doesn't have any major issues (and there is nothing else major going on)....wow....could be very close.
---

On a side note...wonder how many pages THIS thread will go. :D

they will miss this date just like they have missed every other date for every other thing. sorry to burst your bubbles :(

/me crosses his fingers for the possibility tho

Dr. Freeman said:
maybe our resident haxor Chris_D has something to say about that? :p :LOL:
right Chris? :E

lol, let's hope so...unfortunately he pointed out their problems so now they're probably better encrypted.

He should have just sat on his trick and waited to use it when it would be really cool! ;)

fat duck has a point, it still could be realeased in a long time. Although it would be silly to preload the files a year before the release. Some people arnt going to keep them that long. For future reference, we should keep track how long the preload and the release date were, that way, in future games, we will have an estimate on the release once the preload starts :p

Great to hear! Thanks for the heads-up Xcellere. :)

Dr0ndeh said:
they will miss this date just like they have missed every other date for every other thing. sorry to burst your bubbles :(

/me crosses his fingers for the possibility tho

mr bobble

17. preload HL2 ! u understand ?

lazicsavo said:
It's always good to know that they have actually been making a game all these years. Up to this point, I was afraid they were fabricating all this in a master plan to bring up the suiciderate of teenagers when they broke they news that HL2 was fake all along.

LOL....thats got to be one of the most morbid conspiracy theories I ever heard!

ha ha..Great stuff :D

Wow.. hopefully it will come out before Sept 13... the day school starts. :\

Some_God said:
Wow.. hopefully it will come out before Sept 13... the day school starts. :\

And I start August 16... One day before the pre-load. Pathetic! ;(

this is the moment we've all been waiting for. can i get a w00t?

riTuaL said:
this is the moment we've all been waiting for. can i get a w00t?

Actually the moment I will be waiting for is when HL2 will be released but what the hell... w00t! :x

Well the announced CS:S beta preload and release day slipped only by one business day. It seems a little odd though that they would start the hl2 preload in the middle of the cs:s preload. They must really want to test Steam. So if they move that back a day or two, my guess is it would be to take the stress off of steam. If things get really bad, they may have to release a cache file installer to the download sites (like the caches with DOD and CS available at fileplanet). Still, because the HL2 release day will follow the preload much later than two days (like with CS:S), a small delay in the preload probably won't affect the release day at all.

Preload? WTF? If this is what i understand it is, and i might be wrong, but the way i understand it is that you guys are all crazy and happy about a pre load (!!!) of a game that wont come out in some time, the game should have been in our hands by sept 30`th LAST YEAR for christs sake if you backtrack a little and listen to what Gabe said in the past.

And bearing in mind what Gabe said in the past i dont trust that guy one bit! Preload ... preload my ass! Can you play HL2 with a pre load? Is that teh full game? No its a pre load that you cant play untill the game is finished and we dont know when that is!

This is just bullcrap, its just another marketing ploy to keep the air in the baloon so it will stay in the air. After DOOM3 they lost a considerable ammount of hype and they just want to keep the boat afloat.

I wont believe the game is out yet, not untill i can hold a copy in my hand, and it actually holds CD`s with full content that is playable from start to end. Then i will believe the game is out. Not sooner. Preload... you guys crack me up.

Meh. This is still the biggest news since Valve admitted that, in fact, September 30th had come to them in a dream and wasn't connected to reality. If they meet this PL date, it's a strong indicator that HL2 is actually in production (as if we didn't already know). Hell, even CS:CZ was released soon after its own preload...

Ruben said:
Preload? WTF? If this is what i understand it is, and i might be wrong, but the way i understand it is that you guys are all crazy and happy about a pre load (!!!) of a game that wont come out in some time, the game should have been in our hands by sept 30`th LAST YEAR for christs sake if you backtrack a little and listen to what Gabe said in the past.

And bearing in mind what Gabe said in the past i dont trust that guy one bit! Preload ... preload my ass! Can you play HL2 with a pre load? Is that teh full game? No its a pre load that you cant play untill the game is finished and we dont know when that is!

This is just bullcrap, its just another marketing ploy to keep the air in the baloon so it will stay in the air. After DOOM3 they lost a considerable ammount of hype and they just want to keep the boat afloat.

I wont believe the game is out yet, not untill i can hold a copy in my hand, and it actually holds CD`s with full content that is playable from start to end. Then i will believe the game is out. Not sooner. Preload... you guys crack me up.

norway is too cold ha ? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Re-read, Foxtrot.. They will start preloading HL2 stuff that won't be changing, not just CS:S (which already started, as far as I know). Putting a few pieces together and with some minor speculation, it may be a good guess that they will manage to keep the September 1st/2nd release date. "Cautiously optimistic" is the phrase that comes to mind after reading that announcement ;)

Ruben said:

OMG si teh liars! omfg!
Get a grip.

Attachments

• oh_noes.jpg
    oh_noes.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 324
Ruben said:

If they're preloading it, it's most likely done. What would be the point of preloading an unfinished build? You seem to believe that VALVe is doing this to keep us on the HL2 train.. I don't think that is a marketing technique at all.. They're not idiots and they've been so quiet about any release dates since last year, why would they announce a pre-load now if they weren't going to release the game around that same time. It doesn't make sense.

And the whole Doom3 stealing their hype theory is a bit bogus too because once that game was released most gamers looked to the skies for something they could play. I'll bet you that the majority of ppl who bought Doom3 were either not impressed or pissed. I bought D3 and played it for 2 hours, put it back in the case, and started hounding these forums again because this is more entertaining than Doom3 itself.

Sorry if this seems like a D3 rant now, so I'll stop. Please stay on track ;/

So are they going to start preloading HL2 while CS : Source beta is still preloading?
Not that i don't believe the authenticity of the forum post (hl2fallout's that is), but don't you think that is a bit silly?

Finally! 6 years of waiting and its almost here! I'm too excited!! This is worthy of a party!

Back