*~*Half-Life 2 preload begins August 17*~*

lets put everibody in the sigs "HL2 IS COMING"
this must be celebrated

B_MAN said:
will people that choose to download HL2 off of steam be playing before those that buy it retail?????????

Valve has talked about a world wide release...
i am guessing its gonna work something like.. Valve setting a time for HL2 to be unlocked at some point..

like.. Noon EST or whatever timezone they are in.
the problem i see with a world wide release is.. in some places it will be very late at night.. so running to the store for ur copy might be a problem... while it will be in the middle of the day for other pple.. eh.. im glad im not Valve and didn't make the world wide release promise.. it sounds kinda complicated.

THE BEST HL2 NEWS I HEARD IN A VERY LONG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is soo exciting

Does anyone else find it a little bit strange that they'd start pre-loading HL2 before it even goes gold? Seems kinda risky.

DarkStar said:
Does anyone else find it a little bit strange that they'd start pre-loading HL2 before it even goes gold? Seems kinda risky.

Why? The content is done and that's all they are uploading. That won't change.

Besides, there's still 7 days to the HL2 preload, leaves plenty of time for a Gold announcement ;)

Feath said:
Why? The content is done and that's all they are uploading. That won't change.

It seems to me that gold is gold. And the game is just not done until that happens. What if they've got some texture or sound file that's corrupted and causing one of these final few "bugs." Just seems to me that I would want to make sure everything is final before I start to upload.

DarkStar said:

Well this shows how confident they are i guess. But the preloading is only the sound files and what not so HL2 could still have another RC to go through and we wouldn't have to preload the entire game twice/thrice and so on if the current RC didn't meet Vivendi's expectations.

OMFG..ok my a bit slow...

its wn't make 30th though

release some damn benchmarks!

DarkStar said:
It seems to me that gold is gold. And the game is just not done until that happens. What if they've got some texture or sound file that's corrupted and causing one of these final few "bugs." Just seems to me that I would want to make sure everything is final before I start to upload.

I'm sure they'll take in account of that. "Gold" is declared after Vivendi approve a release canditate. They were intending to submit that first release canditate on the 5th of August (but it was probably submitted yesterday or today, based the CS:S preload). As far as Valve are concerned the game is entirely bug free, but they are checking hardware compatibily with CS:S. That beta wouldn't pick up any problems with the content.

B-MAn said:
OMFG..ok my a bit slow...

its wn't make 30th though

release some damn benchmarks!
I've heard that css will be a good indictation of how HL2 will run.:)

cs:s will be a good indication of how cs:s will run. hl2 sp has much more going on

Feath said:
I'm sure they'll take in account of that. "Gold" is declared after Vivendi approve a release canditate. They were intending to submit that first release canditate on the 5th of August (but it was probably submitted yesterday or today, based the CS:S preload). As far as Valve are concerned the game is entirely bug free, but they are checking hardware compatibily with CS:S. That beta wouldn't pick up any problems with the content.

So the CS:Source Beta should pick up any annoying little hardware bugs with the engine, so they can patch HL2/CS:Source before/after its released?

i think HL2 is more or less ready for gold, and the CS:S beta is for:

1. Test source on a large market for hardware/software problems

2. Test steams ability to deliver a lot of content at once

if it all goes smoothly, halflife 2 will probibly be gold very very very soon

release: Early september

Sparta said:
So the CS:Source Beta should pick up any annoying little hardware bugs with the engine, so they can patch HL2/CS:Source before/after its released?

Well, CS:S Beta will probably be patched as it goes along until any major bugs are fixed.

Reaperman said:
i think HL2 is more or less ready for gold, and the CS:S beta is for:

1. Test source on a large market for hardware/software problems

2. Test steams ability to deliver a lot of content at once

if it all goes smoothly, halflife 2 will probibly be gold very very very soon

release: Early september

im not thinkin early sept, im still think between 10-20.

Wow, shocking news . . . and it's for real, too. :O

I don't think Valve would bother preloading HL2 so soon, if the final code wasn't far behind. Good lord, could HL2 actually be declared gold soon? Though I don't believe the game is going to make Sept. 1st, because there isn't enough time for Vivendi to duplicate, package, and ship the game by then.

So could this be why Valve has been so silent lately? They were finally in the home stretch and too busy to say anything? Not to mention, they wanted it this way so they could spring this big surprise on us?

/me passes out

Unfortunately, the /me command is STILL borked. :(

This is the best news.

EVER.

Mr. Redundant said:
dont get your hopes up :(
looks promising, but so did things last year.

I never thought hl2 would come out sept 30, 03. I also never thought doom 3 would come out so soon :p

Pitbul said:
im not thinkin early sept, im still think between 10-20.

My money's on September 30th 2004. I mean... why not? They never did gives us the year (as far as i can recall). Some fans have said it'd be a slap in the face. I just think it makes sense. We are already so close to Sept 30th. Might as well! :cheese:

Hmmmm.....

If the CS:Source beta is going active 2 days after the preload, I don't think Valve would preload HL2 on August 17th, then release the game September 30th.

I'm thinking HL2 will be released by the end of the month or within the first week of September.

Cath0de said:
Hmmmm.....

If the CS:Source beta is going active 2 days after the preload, I don't think Valve would preload HL2 on August 17th, then release the game September 30th.

I'm thinking HL2 will be released by the end of the month or within the first week of September.

heres hoping.

welcome to the forums, and cool name ;)

Thanks. Wow, I registered this account a few months ago and this is my first post. I've been lurking for a few weeks.

Holy ****ing jesus ****ing h ****ing mother****ing christ. What in the ****ing **** mc**** is ****ing going here.

This is the sort of ****ign news i've been waiting 18 months to hear. Holy ****ing hell.

Mr-Fusion said:
Holy ****ing jesus ****ing h ****ing mother****ing christ. What in the ****ing **** mc**** is ****ing going here.

This is the sort of ****ign news i've been waiting 18 months to hear. Holy ****ing hell.
I am so almost ready to make that my sig, unfortunately I dont believe we will be seeing hl2 this month, or the next.
I really hate being so negative..
remember how I was back in the day Dr. Freeman? :)

ah well.

Mr-Fusion said:

Sigged!
TenChar :smoking:

EDIT: Am I insanely stupid or do you not see my signature as well?

Well if valve was smart they would have made all the boxes and all the manuals by now ( if not they should have). That way all they had to do was duplicate the Cd's

Ice_Walker said:
Well if valve was smart they would have made all the boxes and all the manuals by now ( if not they should have). That way all they had to do was duplicate the Cd's

Valve doesn't make them. The distributor does. I forget, is it Vivendi or Sierra?

WISCONSIN,
on a lighter note, I hape it ship this month. But too bad it cant be considered gold since they only upload the things that cant be changed.

Valve is a software developer. Vivendi is a publisher. Think about it like a author and book publisher relationship. Valve "writes" the game and then Vivendi duplicates it and slaps its name on the product to show its approval. Sierra was bought by Vivendi I believe. Sierra broke up during the summer though.

Back