Half-Life 2 release hour confirmed

Argh.... I have a half-day of school on Tues. November 9th. If only it were one week later.

i have to got to school at 6:30 so i figure if i go to sleep at like 10:00 on the 15th, i can get 5 hrs of sleep and 3 hours of playtime. Hooray!!!

if only i had sleeping pills, i could sleep from when i get home from school on monday till 3:00am tuesday. if im awake through that, its going to be the longest hours of my life.

This is really confusing! I should be able to calculate time based on anything I am given! But european time? C'mon! Can someone remind me which state is France again? lol

OK--Can SOMEONE PLEASE tell me what time (EST, US) I will be able to unlock HL2 via Steam? Thanks!

P.S.>I am assuming this will happen in the AM hours of Nov 16, yes?

Thanks!

Heh I live in Western Australia, we don't have Daylight savings time so i can go to the shop and get it at 4pm YAH!!!!.....only bad thing is on the 19th is my last exam of my high school life.. and them i'm going on leavers for a week and a half down south....so if i buy hl2 on the 16th i will only be able to play it for like one day...before i have to study for my last TEE exam...nooooooooooo...... and then i'll be continuously thinking about hl2 instead of having finished high school..... dammit!! :cheers:

iamaelephant said:
I'm going to go ahead and presume you don't have a full time job. Trust me, things change when you have to start earning your living. School doesn't count, it requires precisely zero concentration and absolutely no physical labour.

I dont have a job but i have a shit load of school. (because i didnt go for 1 year) I also work out like crazy. (took a break from that for a few months just started again)

woooo i live in california i get it at midnight!!! :cheers:
im staying up all night even though i have work at 8am

I Need To Know What Time It Will Be In Central Time!!?

thats gay, i wanna play it on november 16th, like they said! they can't hold all the boxes and say ok, now release, then they go on shelves.. CMON RELEASE IT ON STEAM AT 12:00 NOV 16TH PLEASE

godamn it's like waiting for everybody to get their food on the plate before we start eating!%!!!

[edit]... wait... nevermind

Nice. 3 am out in EST zone which is where I am. I'll just wait until school is done and give it a spin.

Alientank said:
Nice. 3 am out in EST zone which is where I am. I'll just wait until school is done and give it a spin.
...SCHOOL!?!?! :x

im confused. it says its going to be unlocked at 8am GMT, which is california time. therefore, shouldnt the east coast get it at 11am? just add three hours

EST it'll be 3AM. Cool, I'm gonna sleep at 10PM and wake up by 2:30 AM ready to play :)

bate18 said:
im confused. it says its going to be unlocked at 8am GMT, which is california time. therefore, shouldnt the east coast get it at 11am? just add three hours
You're living in the wrong half of the world. GMT is in london.

So california time would be 12AM PST.

bate18 said:
California time is PST, my friend, and PST is the zone determining the release time.
The instant it becomes the 16th here on the West Coast, HL2 is released. As it should be, as that is where VALVe is. :cheers:

I think I'll cut school on the 16th and just stay up all night playing HL2 :)

bate18 said:

No. It will unlocked at 12AM Valve time (PST/West Coast USA). Since the East Coast is three time zones away, when the clock strikes 12 at Valve, the clock will strike 3 here. Simple.

The 8AM bit comes from the fact that England, home of GMT, is +8 time zones away from Valve. Every time zone east of Valve HQ adds one hour, all the way around the world until we come back to PST. Again, simple.

Its times like these, people wished they payed attention at school... haha

omni said:
No. It will unlocked at 12AM Valve time (PST/West Coast USA). Since the East Coast is three time zones away, when the clock strikes 12 at Valve, the clock will strike 3 here. Simple.

The 8AM bit comes from the fact that England, home of GMT, is +8 time zones away from Valve. Every time zone east of Valve HQ adds one hour, all the way around the world until we come back to PST. Again, simple.

Kinda, but PST can't be Mean Time :p

Valve isn't going to be able to stop shops in Europe from selling it when their stores open on the morning of the 16th. I should say VU won't be able to because Valve doesn't care. They would gladly release steam right now. I would not be surprised to see some of our European friends on these forums post pictures of their retail box before midnight over here.

I live a few miles from Valve headquarters so I am going to have to wait until midnight anyways.

So for Australia it will be released November 17th - 6pm?

oh yeah defiantly some shops will get it days before release... and some down to the minute... but they are bound by contract not to sell the game before a certain time... they can get sued if they do...

Great I have a week to screw up my sleep schedule so I wake up at midnight to play it (I'm PST)

It rules for Aussies. Will go to bed extra early the night before, get home from work at about 5ish, get some takeout food and booze on the way home, eat, drink and be giggly by six.
I have the 18th and 19th (four day weekend!) off so I can play all through the night!

rats!

im from New Zealand...I figured Id get it before everyelse, but not so :angry:

howcome they dont just unlock the activation part of Steam straight away but not let Steam people download the thing to compile the game until the time passes in their region...atleast that way I could activate my retail copy >_<

i live in perth, and i think thats GMT+800, so when will i be able to play?..4:00PM?

InvaderScooge said:
Valve isn't going to be able to stop shops in Europe from selling it when their stores open on the morning of the 16th. I should say VU won't be able to because Valve doesn't care. They would gladly release steam right now. I would not be surprised to see some of our European friends on these forums post pictures of their retail box before midnight over here.

I live a few miles from Valve headquarters so I am going to have to wait until midnight anyways.

Well they already got 1 shop to do so, and it's owned by the largest tele communications company in Denmark.

And again if someone should release it earlier it wouldn't matter much, except the customer might think his game doesn't work.

However both steam and stores should notify them off the release hour.

Slightly unfortunate. 9:00 AM is when my lessons start on Tuesday. And we have a lot of them on this day :/

I'll have something to look forward to.. :)

i dont think the shops in Australia are going to stay open so they can sell the game at 6:00pm, i think theyll just sell it to people straight away...
also if the retail version fully installs and then needs steam activation to start playing, then ill be playing my retail version at the same time as people will be unlocking their steam version

So when to Australians get it? 6pm 15th or the 16th. Because we are 1 day ahead of US.

FISKER_Q said:
Kinda, but PST can't be Mean Time :p

You kinda didn't read what I posted. I based all my calculations respective that Valve's time is 0 and other time zones are time plus. Can't be clearer than that. :thumbs:

omni said:
You kinda didn't read what I posted. I based all my calculations respective that Valve's time is 0 and other time zones are time plus. Can't be clearer than that. :thumbs:

Yeah i know, but for it to be 0 it has to be Mean time :p just a little fresh remark to complicate the situation further :LOL:

FISKER_Q said:
Yeah i know, but for it to be 0 it has to be Mean time :p just a little fresh remark to complicate the situation further :LOL:

Again you didn't read my post fully, I never stated that Valve is "Mean Time" just that I reference it (PST) as zero and make my own time zone calculations from that.

If you insist on using the term "Mean Time", then by all means. I on the other hand don't have need for such a term.

Back