Half-Life 2 release hour confirmed

FISKER_Q said:
Well they already got 1 shop to do so, and it's owned by the largest tele communications company in Denmark.

And again if someone should release it earlier it wouldn't matter much, except the customer might think his game doesn't work.

However both steam and stores should notify them off the release hour.

Only because the shop asked around. You really think some gamer shop is going to tell people to come back when it is midnight in Kirkland WA instead of just taking their money. It is really stupid to expect shops to do that. Everyone knows it comes out on the 16th and when retail shops open on the 16th they will sell what they have regardless of when Steam unlocks. Retail outlets don't care about Steam or if the game is unlocked. They just have merchandise they want exchanged for cash. If VU tries to sue because they started selling it on the release date they will a) have a lot of legals fees to sue that many people and b) lose because it is stupid to run other countries retail outlets on a different time zone.

InvaderScooge said:
Only because the shop asked around. You really think some gamer shop is going to tell people to come back when it is midnight in Kirkland WA instead of just taking their money. It is really stupid to expect shops to do that. Everyone knows it comes out on the 16th and when retail shops open on the 16th they will sell what they have regardless of when Steam unlocks. Retail outlets don't care about Steam or if the game is unlocked. They just have merchandise they want exchanged for cash. If VU tries to sue because they started selling it on the release date they will a) have a lot of legals fees to sue that many people and b) lose because it is stupid to run other countries retail outlets on a different time zone.
Who says they asked?

How did they find out? VU calling every game store in the world. They probably adverstised it and VU noticed it and sent them a letter or something. It doesn't matter how it happened it isn't going to stop shops from selling it when thier stores open on the 16th.

Doesn't matter to anyone who bought steam since it is going to be unlocked at midnight pacific time. 11 days from 10 mintes ago :)

I wonder if my EB Games I preordered from is going to do a midnight sale. I will have to call them.

InvaderScooge said:
How did they find out? VU calling every game store in the world. They probably adverstised it and VU noticed it and sent them a letter or something. It doesn't matter how it happened it isn't going to stop shops from selling it when thier stores open on the 16th.

Doesn't matter to anyone who bought steam since it is going to be unlocked at midnight pacific time. 11 days from 10 mintes ago :)

I wonder if my EB Games I preordered from is going to do a midnight sale. I will have to call them.

Stores don't buy the games out of thin air, they buy them from Vivendi of course.

FISKER_Q said:
Stores don't buy the games out of thin air, they buy them from Vivendi of course.

VU ships them out early. They aren't going to go around to each store on the 16th and hand them out a minute before release time. By the end of next week most places will already have their shipments and by the 15th everyone will have it in stock just waiting to sell it.

It’s up to the shop owners not to sell this product early, due to the fact it won’t work… meaning angry customers at moron shop owners....

simply put it is in the best interest to hold off until the last minute… due to that fact… half the customers wont know about the steam program and another half wont know it needs activation…

Norway
Norway
Norway

-----> 9:00 AM <-----

I have free from college that day : :imu:
Hopefully i will complete the single player
the same day. Got other things to do,
like study for the exams. And be with
my new girlfriend also :rolleyes:

InvaderScooge said:
VU ships them out early. They aren't going to go around to each store on the 16th and hand them out a minute before release time. By the end of next week most places will already have their shipments and by the 15th everyone will have it in stock just waiting to sell it.
I'm not saying that all shops won't be selling them before, i'm just saying that Vivendi is most likely in the progess of notifying all retailers.

And this might be serious enough for Vivendi to totally cut off retailers not releasing the game as by vivendis plan.

And although they legally might have some trouble, that won't stop them to cut off their games to that store.

We all get to play it at the same time!!

That is also the same time it gets UNLOCKED for both retail and steam

So it really doesn't matter what time your gameshop closes

some of you retail purchasers may "have" the game before Steam purchasers do

BUT none of us get to play until VALVe says so (just my theory)

If you live in Hawaii you get to play on the 15th at 10pm. Not that that's any different than the 16th at 8am for me ;p But I'd rather live in Hawaii.

:cheers: Tuesday November 16, 2004 @ 3:00AM will be a good time. :cheers:

Back