Half-Life 2 Theory based off information from Half-Life 1

Obviously there is more sophisticated teleportation technology than we saw at the BMRF... how else did all those handy portals appear for the G-Man?
Plus, we didn't see any 'huge' teleport fields at any stage (ok apart from OpFor boss), but the Gargs got to Earth - I think that means something very big can be teleported through a 'portal' which looks quite small.
...so, yeah, seems like tanks could be teleported there pretty easily (for the G-Man's organisation anyway).

A ha! I figured it out now. The combine not adapted for Xen atmosphere, they are adapted to survive in OUR atmosphere :naughty:

Neo_Kuja said:
I somehow think that the G-Man is not ruled by the combine ..... :p

or maybe he was sent by the admin wich is the boss of "race X" and G-man is a race X person also.

(man, Its like trying to figure out the maitrix trilogy)

well, well it will come to an end eventually

Hi everyone.

I love all this speculation, especially the combine (race/species?). I have some few miscellanous points here, which some of you might find useful.

- Nihilanth (Latin: "The Nameless One"), why is he locked in subterranean cavern in one of Xen's rocks/asteroids/planets? Is he a somekind of overlord 'caste' of the alien? If he is so big then how did he end up in his lair? Are all the factories in the "interloper" chapter bent on the production of "groceries" for Nihilanth (Aliens/Cyborgs [<-- i'll explain later] do eat? Right, right?). What about his 'name'? Why is he called the nameless one? Is he the last surviving member of the 'overlord' caste? Is he called "the nameless one" just because he was locked up in the cavern (for ages and his ancient name was forgotten) just to be fed and to grow up and succeed an older overlord? Was this previous overlord slain by the Combine 'race'/'union'? As the combine planned the invasion of earth, did Nihilanth want to invade earth first to set up a trap for the combine to avenge the death of his predecessor? Even father?

- The combine definetly are NOT pure humans. Listen to their radio talk. For example look at their facial structure. And here (http://www.half-life2.com/conceptart3.html) you can see the basic combine anatomy. Take notice of the metal plated/coated back of the skull. Could this be a somekind of implant/'brain aiding computer'? Look at the glow from their eyes. Orange. Their eyes also glow in the dark (blue in newer HL2 versions), which indicates that they havent got 'normal' human eyes. What about the 'gas mask' then? Are the combine troops the foot soldiers of the alien race? Do they need the mask to be able to withstand earth's atmosphere? As you can see the combine have two air purifiers in their mask. Could the other one be a 'translation machine' which translates their strange alien tongue to plain english? This theory would certainly explain the obscure markings on their equipment. Is the earth only a temporary mining colony to the combine? This would certainly explain the massive mining operations which are depleting earth's recources. Has the combine taken control countless other star systems?

- This 'Resonance Cascade' happens when a sample ore chunk is placed into the massive "Atom Mass Spectromerter". Why is the Atom Mass Spectrometer at Black Mesa so massive when BMRF is claimed to be the ultimate future tech research site as most MODERN "Atom Mass Spectromerter"s can be easily transported in eg. G-Man's briefcase. Many of you maybe wandering what does an "Atom Mass Spectromerter" actually do. Well, is quite simple really. It's main purpose is to recognise the atomicweight of the sample. Once the weight is obtained the result is compared to the different Elements in the Periodic Table of the Elements and once a match is found it can be concluded that the sample is that Element. In short: It is used to detect what the sample matter is. "Atom Mass Spectromerter" is used greatly by the mining industry. But how can a simple device (the spectrometer) cause a 'Resonance Cascade' (<-- fiction?) ?

-The G-Man could be a normal human but fitted with Implants? Are his "employers" the "Administrator" and/or the Human Resistance Leaders? Why does the G-Man still carry around his briefcase with the BMRF logo on it even thought is was destroyed in a nuclear blast over 10 years ago? Could this suggest that Black Mesa wasn't the only research facility? Originally Black Mesa was a nuclear silo, but when cold ware ended it was turned into a research center? Was this research center made to generate new technologies to aid in the defence of Earth from the upcoming Invasion detected by the Government ealier? Are G-Man's "employers" the overseers of the preparation for the defence against the invasion? Why was Freeman's life Spared? Is he going to become a G-Man as well? "Wake up mr. Freeman and smell the ashes" <--- sounds like G-Man is really excited about the fact that the earth has be colonised? Is he a (potential) traitor? Was Dr. Breen (or was it Green?) a G-Man as well before the invasion? Did he join combine, because he knew that Earth could not resist the combine? Did he give away secrets about earth's defence to be awarded by the combine to become the (puppet) ruler of City-17 (or perhaps whole earth)?

Thank you if you've managed to read all this. I've still got more stuff up in my sleeves if u need some more theories.

What if the Nihilanth was protecting Earth?

I mean, with the Cascade, Xen just hit Earth really hard, and the Nihilanth was forced to fight back against the stupid humans, trying to kill his people. I expect he controlled, previous to the BMRF, what teleportation took place to places outside Xen, and without him, anyone could teleport, under the right circumstances, anywhere.

The Nihilanth clearly needed to be destroyed by Breen and his associates in order to presumably allow the Combine to set up camp and take over Earth.

Hmm It is possible but that doesnt explain why all the alien fauna kept attacking me during the course of the game :LOL:

GungSeng said:
- This 'Resonance Cascade' happens when a sample ore chunk is placed into the massive "Atom Mass Spectromerter". Why is the Atom Mass Spectrometer at Black Mesa so massive when BMRF is claimed to be the ultimate future tech research site as most MODERN "Atom Mass Spectromerter"s can be easily transported in eg. G-Man's briefcase. Many of you maybe wandering what does an "Atom Mass Spectromerter" actually do. Well, is quite simple really. It's main purpose is to recognise the atomicweight of the sample. Once the weight is obtained the result is compared to the different Elements in the Periodic Table of the Elements and once a match is found it can be concluded that the sample is that Element. In short: It is used to detect what the sample matter is. "Atom Mass Spectromerter" is used greatly by the mining industry. But how can a simple device (the spectrometer) cause a 'Resonance Cascade' (<-- fiction?) ?

It's actually called an ANTI-mass spectrometer. I don't think this peice of tech actually exists. Good description of a mass spectrometer though. :cheers:

What does an Anti-mass spectrometer do? According to the best theory i've heard, it tests a substance for 'displacement energy', ie: the energy that makes teleportation possible.

Hey, if a mass-spectrometer measures how much the atoms weigh, maybe an anti-mass spectrometer measures how much the atoms don't weigh? It makes sense to me!

More over, it would (should) measure the weight (or absense/presense) of anti-matter or anti-energy (or negative energy, or 'displacement energy' as the lambda project calls it).

Yeah, there are (according to physiscists) two types of matter, matter and anti-matter. When they come into contact, they obliterate each other into nothing + lots of energy.

Don't know whatp point I'm making, so there!

Eh, I think they obliterate each other into neutronium + energy actually, according to some experiments that have taken place. I believe they've managed to create only a very time amount of anti-matter in particle accelerators a few times.
The problem with this stuff is when I try to verify what I read a long time ago 90% of the pages which appear from the search are about sci-fi... :borg:

GungSeng said:
Hi everyone.

I love all this speculation, especially the combine (race/species?). I have some few miscellanous points here, which some of you might find useful.

- Nihilanth (Latin: "The Nameless One"), why is he locked in subterranean cavern in one of Xen's rocks/asteroids/planets? Is he a somekind of overlord 'caste' of the alien? If he is so big then how did he end up in his lair? Are all the factories in the "interloper" chapter bent on the production of "groceries" for Nihilanth (Aliens/Cyborgs [<-- i'll explain later] do eat? Right, right?). What about his 'name'? Why is he called the nameless one? Is he the last surviving member of the 'overlord' caste? Is he called "the nameless one" just because he was locked up in the cavern (for ages and his ancient name was forgotten) just to be fed and to grow up and succeed an older overlord? Was this previous overlord slain by the Combine 'race'/'union'? As the combine planned the invasion of earth, did Nihilanth want to invade earth first to set up a trap for the combine to avenge the death of his predecessor? Even father?

Never new that Nihilanth meant "The Nameless One". Thanks for that; where did you find it from? Are you a latin student? Most of us were under the impression that it meant that the Nihilanth was the ultimate pessimist/anarchist/hippy or something like that...

Y'know, it's funny... "Nameless One" is practically a name anyway, especially when it's latinised into one word...

- The combine definetly are NOT pure humans. Listen to their radio talk. For example look at their facial structure. And here (http://www.half-life2.com/conceptart3.html) you can see the basic combine anatomy. Take notice of the metal plated/coated back of the skull. Could this be a somekind of implant/'brain aiding computer'? Look at the glow from their eyes. Orange. Their eyes also glow in the dark (blue in newer HL2 versions), which indicates that they havent got 'normal' human eyes. What about the 'gas mask' then? Are the combine troops the foot soldiers of the alien race? Do they need the mask to be able to withstand earth's atmosphere? As you can see the combine have two air purifiers in their mask. Could the other one be a 'translation machine' which translates their strange alien tongue to plain english? This theory would certainly explain the obscure markings on their equipment. Is the earth only a temporary mining colony to the combine? This would certainly explain the massive mining operations which are depleting earth's recources. Has the combine taken control countless other star systems?

I'd personally say that their radio chatter just sounds like it's being run through a heavy filter, like the filters you can buy to modify your voice in phone conversations... They certainly have a very human scream.

I'm also pretty sure that the "Metal plates" are just a different colour of mask material... And they seem to look a little different to that picture, in the demos or screenshots...

The glowing eyes are often used in games and movies to indicate the use of night vision or something similar... If you look at the shape of the masks, the external lenses seem to be rather forward of where the eyes would be... Which suggests to me that there's some complex little vision-enhancement machanism in the mask's eyepieces itself...

I'd also have to say that the gasmasks could simply be to protect against gas bombs/grenades, headcrab attacks, and also to dehumanise the metrocops/soldiers and make them seem more menacing to the general populace...

As has already been said, it's "Anti-mass spectrometer". Theories abound about the device's nature. Seems most likely to me that it's for testing some extra-dimensional component of certain substances... i.e: "Anti-mass". Which could be related to teleportation...

-The G-Man could be a normal human but fitted with Implants? Are his "employers" the "Administrator" and/or the Human Resistance Leaders? Why does the G-Man still carry around his briefcase with the BMRF logo on it even thought is was destroyed in a nuclear blast over 10 years ago? Could this suggest that Black Mesa wasn't the only research facility? Originally Black Mesa was a nuclear silo, but when cold ware ended it was turned into a research center? Was this research center made to generate new technologies to aid in the defence of Earth from the upcoming Invasion detected by the Government ealier? Are G-Man's "employers" the overseers of the preparation for the defence against the invasion? Why was Freeman's life Spared? Is he going to become a G-Man as well? "Wake up mr. Freeman and smell the ashes" <--- sounds like G-Man is really excited about the fact that the earth has be colonised? Is he a (potential) traitor? Was Dr. Breen (or was it Green?) a G-Man as well before the invasion? Did he join combine, because he knew that Earth could not resist the combine? Did he give away secrets about earth's defence to be awarded by the combine to become the (puppet) ruler of City-17 (or perhaps whole earth)?

Thank you if you've managed to read all this. I've still got more stuff up in my sleeves if u need some more theories.

Does the G-Man actually still carry a briefcase around? I'd also say that the G-Man seems to not be so much happy that the Earth has gone down the crapper, but that he simply seems to like it when something is up... He also seems slightly... I dunno... Ironical about the whole thing? Oh, and it's "Dr. Breen".

Brian Damag said:
I'd personally say that their radio chatter just sounds like it's being run through a heavy filter, like the filters you can buy to modify your voice in phone conversations... They certainly have a very human scream.

I'm also pretty sure that the "Metal plates" are just a different colour of mask material... And they seem to look a little different to that picture, in the demos or screenshots...

The glowing eyes are often used in games and movies to indicate the use of night vision or something similar... If you look at the shape of the masks, the external lenses seem to be rather forward of where the eyes would be... Which suggests to me that there's some complex little vision-enhancement machanism in the mask's eyepieces itself...

I'd also have to say that the gasmasks could simply be to protect against gas bombs/grenades, headcrab attacks, and also to dehumanise the metrocops/soldiers and make them seem more menacing to the general populace...

goooood point , i think that's it . there can be no cause to think that they are some kind of alien race . . i think many ppl just´misunderstood gabe newell's interview !
(i for one didn't read it)

Actually, they refer in one of the voiceovers to the "Alien Combine". I just don't think the foot soldiers themselves are alien... Just humans that have sided with the aliens...

Well the combine aren't completely human I reckon. Part of Gordon's mission is to pollute that orange stuff in kleiner's lab, which I'd guess is some sort of substance that the combine need to stay alive.

cf the orange stuff being clear int he kleiner video and then all black and infected in this screenshot, with Eli looking happy that they've done it:

http://www.halflife2.net/image_files/screenshots/13.jpg

EDIT: This is only speculation.

Ahem. Beta spoilers aren't allowed here. So I hope that's just speculation on your part.

the problem is, we dont know what is beta spoilers and whats speculation util we play the game, im sure secretly the whole story has come out in small chunks on the boards and we dont know... hope valve have changed parts of the game from the leak.
I dont want the story to be something ive read as 'speculation' on here... which sort of removes the point in speculating, so nevermind. il shut up now.

we11er said:
Well the combine aren't completely human I reckon. Part of Gordon's mission is to pollute that orange stuff in kleiner's lab, which I'd guess is some sort of substance that the combine need to stay alive.

cf the orange stuff being clear int he kleiner video and then all black and infected in this screenshot, with Eli looking happy that they've done it:

http://www.halflife2.net/image_files/screenshots/13.jpg
Are you stating a known fact that you've found out from the stolen build or are you speculating?

no no no it's all speculation! i don't think the beta even had that much in it anyway

Actually, oldagerocker, I, for one, agree with you completely.

Chris_D: That's what I was wondering. I doubt he'll say it was from the beta now, though...

[EDIT]: Hum. Maybe moderator editing to include a note that it's speculation could be added?

Cool...

One thing I'll say to your theory though. The screenshot we have there is from a much older build. You'll notice that everything seems to be less detailed. I'd actually go as far as to say that was from the DirectX 7 or 8 version of the game.

Brian Damage said:
Actually, oldagerocker, I, for one, agree with you completely.

Chris_D: That's what I was wondering. I doubt he'll say it was from the beta now, though...

[EDIT]: Hum. Maybe moderator editing to include a note that it's speculation could be added?
I know it's what you were wondering, you brought it to my attention with the reported post :p

Chris_D: D'you think you could put a big bold "Speculation" tag in we11er's post?

Just to avoid giving people a shock...

[EDIT]: Drat. You already saw my edit. Making this post worthless.

i know this is ethically wrong and all that, but surely the mods should have some idea whats actually in the build, instead of just removing the obvious beta screeny's and stupid posts, they can effectively remove the beta spoilers... im sure they are floating around all over the place!

what is directX ?? and what is it good for ???

You what? It's a sort of... Interface, which allows your software to talk to your hardware.

Actually, that's not entirely accurate (In fact, I'm pretty sure it fairly inaccurate), but it's the best explanation I can give this early in the morning...

i didnt know games ran on Either DirectX or OpenGL..., i thought DirectX was completely different!

So in my games, why can't i choose DirectX over OpenGL, or is that 'Software Mode' ?
sorry, im nubish, i really dont know this stuff :p

ComradeBadger said:
Yep, both are APIs :)

(where API = Adapab;e progamiming interface :)

That would be Application Programming Interface ;)

Graphics cards can handle OpenGL and DirectX (The 3D portion of which is called Direct3D)... The API translates instructions between the program using it, and the graphics card, via the card's drivers.

Software mode is probably pretty different, maybe even different for each game which uses it (I dunno). Are there any recent High-End 3D games which have a software mode?

Hi guys. Thanks for correcting me on that Anti-Mass Spectrometer.

Nope, I dont study latin at all, but my mother did and I asked her about Nihilanth.

After a lil research I found a really good basic summary of all the events happening at Black Mesa in Half-Life this may seem irrelevant but hey...
SUMMARY

I don't know wether its fiction but it seems to make sence relative to the events in the game.

Back