Half-Life 2 -vs- Stalker Oblivian Lost?

Originally posted by Styloid
I don't see how you can argue so much about graphics when Valve has toned theirs down for the sake of gameplay, atmosphere and storytelling, while Stalker seems to be a mishmash of everything they can throw in. Even then, I still see HL2 to be a more cohesive looking piece of work (to me graphics would include the design and architecture of the levels, thought-out texturing, consistent use of special effects, etc). When I look at the pictures, I try to forget about all that technical jargon and biases and just pick the one I like best (I honestly didn't really notice the HL2 water that much). Just look at them holistically.
In terms of gameplay, I respect games that are trying to be non-linear (Deus Ex 1 and 2) but I do not see that as revolutionary; more like a really old idea that no one has done properly to get tired of yet. Rather, I see the potential in HL2's introduction of advancing character interaction to an emotional level, storytelling to a more dramatic level, story structure to a more compelling level and maybe turn computer games into an art (would you rather watch 'Chinatown', or your 'My Trip to Chinatown' home video?), as revolutionary.

But I guess it's all a matter of taste.

This man is a genius, listen to his wise words.

Originally posted by Styloid
...In terms of gameplay, I respect games that are trying to be non-linear (Deus Ex 1 and 2) but I do not see that as revolutionary; more like a really old idea that no one has done properly to get tired of yet. Rather, I see the potential in HL2's introduction of advancing character interaction to an emotional level, storytelling to a more dramatic level, story structure to a more compelling level and maybe turn computer games into an art (would you rather watch 'Chinatown', or your 'My Trip to Chinatown' home video?), as revolutionary. ...

Yeah, that's a good point. I agree, mostly. As you like the character interaction, I like the physics for it's potential to create an environment that, more than being just a symbolic representation of the real world, is a believable creation that you can forget isn't real at all.

Character interaction is an important part of that too, but I don't think I'm as interested in the NPC interaction because it's not important for the reasons I'm anticipation HL2. I find too many characters often distracting, and a bably done character is far too annoying to risk trying to make a 'Casablanca' of the gaming world.

It is a matter of taste, and hopefully HL2 will be enough of a compromise to please us both.

I still don't know enough about 'S.T.A.L.K.E.R.' to even start to judge it for it's story or characters, and it'll be the devil in the details that'll decide if it works on that level, too.

-Phision

There are two extreme ends of the major approaches you can take making a good FPS these days: either tightly scripting a story, or plunking down a game world and expect gameplay to arise out of it. Hl2 leans towards the former, and Stalker and Deus Ex2 the latter, though neither are that extreme. Both are good general directions, each having their place.

I'm actually a little more interested in DeusEx2's story than Stalkers, because Deus Ex2 really seems to be much more focused on having a real coherent and really deep ongoing story while still allowing you to choose your path and indeed basically determine the course of the story. Stalker's graphics and art design own DX2's however, at least from what I've seen of DX2.

Back