Have you ever been in shock?

The Dark Elf

Reaction score
I got to wondering, most of yesterday I spent laughing about what happened (car crash) and I got to thinking, what if it was shock, even though I was told I was fine, seems a bit weird to laugh about it, so I wondered if I'd ever been in shock before, and I don't think I have, so no frame of reference to know if I was in shock yesterday or just doped up enough to not realise how lucky I probably was lol

So, have you ever been in shock, not get a shock, but actually _in_ shock. If so, over what?

(making random off-topic threads to keep people occupied is fun :D)

The Dark Elf said:
So is trying to reach 10,000... ;)

Yes. I got an e-mail from somebody I knew, and in it was a video of a person dying in a horrible way. Made me sick to my stomach and I could almost do nothing but sit around for the next couple weeks doing nothing but thinking about what I saw. It was awful =(

If that's not being in shock, I don't know what is.

The Dark Elf said:
I got to wondering, most of yesterday I spent laughing about what happened (car crash) and I got to thinking, what if it was shock, even though I was told I was fine, seems a bit weird to laugh about it, so I wondered if I'd ever been in shock before, and I don't think I have, so no frame of reference to know if I was in shock yesterday or just doped up enough to not realise how lucky I probably was lol

So, have you ever been in shock, not get a shock, but actually _in_ shock. If so, over what?

You don't laugh at all when you're in shock. Trust me, I know.

MadHatter said:
You don't laugh at all when you're in shock. Trust me, I know.
Must have been the painkillers then *takes more* :p

As I say, I don't ever recall being in shock, so no experience of it, no idea what happens.. Just seemed entirely out of the ordinary to be laughing like I was about it, didn't make sense to me.

Only time I played baseball in my life- I was eleven then - I was the umpire and this guy "Jay Jay" tossed his aluminium bat in the air instead of dropping it after batting. I heard someone shout "watch out!" and by the time I looked up I got smacked in the face by the bat. Everything was blurry I couldn't hear anything and I couldn't move, I just fell flat on my back. I hate baseball.

No I have never been in shock...Whats it like?

Tr0n said:
No I have never been in shock...Whats it like?
I don't know tbh now.. I thought it was uncontrolable laughing or irrational behavior or something, but I guess its not according to madhatter.. So I dunno now :\

The Dark Elf said:
I don't know tbh now.. I thought it was uncontrolable laughing or irrational behavior or something, but I guess its not according to madhatter.. So I dunno now :\

I think what you experienced was the result of 'surviving'

what happens when your brain thinks your life is under threat is that you get a big dose of adrenaline, heart beats faster etc.. thats so you can fight off an attacker or sustain injury and keep in action, but after this reaction, if you've 'survived' the encounter, then your brain gives you a blast of endorphins and other reward chemicals, so you learn that what you did is a good way to deal with the problem in future... doesnt have much relevance today with car accidents etc, but chances are, you were just on a high due to your brain going "yay! we survived! here's some nice candy!!!"

bliink said:

what happens when your brain thinks your life is under threat is that you get a big dose of adrenaline, heart beats faster etc.. thats so you can fight off an attacker or sustain injury and keep in action, but after this reaction, if you've 'survived' the encounter, then your brain gives you a blast of endorphins and other reward chemicals, so you learn that what you did is a good way to deal with the problem in future... doesnt have much relevance today with car accidents etc, but chances are, you were just on a high due to your brain going "yay! we survived! here's some nice candy!!!"
haha, great explanation :D:D

But wait.. that means its not the stuff I was given.. which means I just took a couple more for no reason and now im gonna end up falling asleep for most of the day without the fun part of being in hysterics over the smallest thing.. damn :p

I want some brain candy :)

But no, i dont think i've ever been in shock... more scared out of my wits and then running away. not winning and getting brain candy.

been in shock twice, both driving incidents. i laughed on one incident, though i was never given morphine, damn nhs :)

bliink said:

A natural high eh?I should go and get in some fights then... :D

Tr0n said:
A natural high eh?I should go and get in some fights then... :D

make sure you win, otherwise, you get a dose of chemicals that make you feel miserable, to try and teach you never to do that again :p

Onions said:
been in shock twice, both driving incidents. i laughed on one incident, though i was never given morphine, damn nhs :)
It was an NHS hospital I was taken to.. the one my sister works at, which is when she found out about the fate of her car... nobody f*cks with her at work now I bet after seeing her screaming like that LOL

bliink said:
make sure you win, otherwise, you get a dose of chemicals that make you feel miserable, to try and teach you never to do that again :p
I'll make sure to bring a bat... :thumbs:

The Dark Elf said:
It was an NHS hospital I was taken to.. the one my sister works at, which is when she found out about the fate of her car... nobody f*cks with her at work now I bet after seeing her screaming like that LOL

I can see it now...

*see's you all battered and brusied*
"Oh no, what happend"
*runs up to you*
"is the car alright?"
"uggggghhhh"
*Screams*

Tr0n said:
I'll make sure to bring a bat... :thumbs:

better idea is to pick a fight with a massive enemy that would easily kill you, then run away.. the rush would be bigger ;)

bliink said:
better idea is to pick a fight with a massive enemy that would easily kill you, then run away.. the rush would be bigger ;)
Yea...right before I die.... :|

Icarus said:
I can see it now...

*see's you all battered and brusied*
"Oh no, what happend"
*runs up to you*
"is the car alright?"
"uggggghhhh"
*Screams*
Hehe actually her usual greeting when she sees me is "what do you want?"

If she's not throwing vases or other shattering objects at me, im smashing up her car.. I just don't think its possible for me and her to _ever_ get along properly lol

It's 4:28am here...so I have time to read it. :p

My mate dave almost crashed the car we were in while going at 70mph. I couldn't stop laughing for an hour.

I've been in shock a couple of times.

Eh, you asked for a shock and tell, Dark Elf, so here ya go. Sorry that it's long though...

The first time was when I was very little and I fell into the deep end of the pool (I was like 4 or 5). I don't remember much of it, but I recall someone was suppose to be watching over me and they forgot about my stupid, adventurous ass. I almost drowned and I remember being told I began to freak out and turn white as a ghost.

Second time I remember very vividly and I was much older. I was 17 at the time and I was walking home from a friend's house at night around 2am. This was your typical DC suburban neighborhood; semi-dark streets with the sporadic, yellow gloom of streetlights during a humid and warm August night. Then, a group of gangstas / thugs / gang members / wanna-be rappers / whatever the hell you want to call them started shadowing me out of no where.

At first I figured they were just high as kites or drunk and were heading to where ever, minding their own business. There were 7 - 10 of them and one of them quickly walked and jogged up to my side and then in front of me. The guy positioning himself in front of me took about 5, 7 seconds to do so (I told you I remember this very well). After those seconds and when he was positioned in front of me, I realized what was happening -- they were positioning themselves to assault me and halt my escape. Just as soon as I realized that, I heard a bunch of footsteps approaching my rear. I turned only to glance at what must have been 5 of them right behind me. I immediately turned my head to face forward and a split-second after I did that, I was struck in the back of the head by a full bottle of Sky Vodka.

As much of the detail I remember of that night, the 5 - 10 seconds after I was struck in the head were completely erased from my memory. Whenever you hear someone talking about blackouts and concussions and the memory loss they experience as a result of it, they literally mean you lose a section of your memory. It's almost as if someone went into your mind and ripped out a page or paragraph of your memory and you will never recall it again -- ever.

Anyway, I fell to the ground and blacked out for a bit -- I know this because my knees and hands were cut up and small pebbles of rocks were in the skin of my palms -- and I ran as fast as I could. Let me tell you, when you have a group or posse of guys chasing after you with the sole intentions of beating the sh¡t out of you and robbing you, you run like the devil is after you. To this day I still cannot fathom how I was able to out-run all of those guys. I was taken to the hospital later and the doctor said I probably out-ran them because of A. My natural instincts and adrenaline kicked in and B. I'm naturally a fast runner. The place where my memory picks up after I was hit was bolting down streets, running and bumping into trees and cars as I ran. I was running with a concussion... It's kinda hard to run straight when you have one of those. Know what I mean? I ran about a mile and a half, close to two. About 4 of the ass-tards chased me for about a mile.

Well, you're probably wondering what shock has to do with all of this. When I arrived home, I fell through the door and landed on my face. My father came to the door to see what the hell was happening. He looked at my back and said, "What the fawk happened?” I went to the bathroom to see my back and it was soaked with blood. The entire back of my T-shirt was soaked and I had a nice inch-and-a-half, two-inch gash in my neck. The gash was pretty deep, too. That's when I began to fall into shock. Shock is exactly what the name suggests -- shock. Your mind is so freaked and shocked that it sort of shuts down in a way. I began to grow dizzy, nauseous, my vision became blurry and my mind clouded up. Naturally, my father drove me to the hospital for stitches and schtuff. A lot of the shock kicked in while I was in the car. When I arrived at the hospital, I was white as a ghost -- or so the people told me there afterwards. I apparently lost a good amount of blood 'cause I remember them hooking one of those fluid-feeding things to me. Blah, blah, *insert usual hospital schtuff and stitches here. Yay... stitches are fun...*

On my way home, I asked my father why I fell into shock and he told me it could've been a few things and a combination of things. The fact that I was cut and seriously bleeding, while running as fast as I could, meant my heart rate was sky-high as was my blood pressure. Also, the sheer shock of turning to see my back red in blood wasn't pleasant either. Honestly, though, despite the physical side of my shock and the usual shock schtuff, I was mostly shocked where my gash was. It was dangerously close to my major artery in my neck; just an inch, or a couple, to the right and my artery would've been cut open. I hate thinking about what would've happened if I hadn't out-ran the ass-tards or if I completely blacked out and fell unconscience, sitting there bleeding to death and getting stomped out. All for what though? Of all the things that happened, I always ask myself when I think of the event, "For what?” Hell, if they wanted to rob me I would have handed over whatever I had on me.

To some, this may not seem like a big thing. All I have to say is that you have to experience it to know what it’s like. Chance just happened to be with me, or my hard head (yuk, yuk), that prevented me from being knocked out completely.

I’ve been in a car crash, slammed to the bottom of the ocean by a wave at the beach and blacked out, almost struck by lightning, but none of those seemed to have stuck with me like this did. Don’t know why….. Maybe it’s the sheer primal fear of being chased by a pack of wild things while you’re wounded. You know, like an animal would do or feel… or somethin’.

Note: I had some stupid friends back in the day. Some of my friends criticized me for not defending myself. Can you believe that?

MadHatter said:
I've been in shock a couple of times.

Eh, you asked for a shock and tell, Dark Elf, so here ya go. Sorry that it's long though...

The first time was when I was very little and I fell into the deep end of the pool (I was like 4 or 5). I don't remember much of it, but I recall someone was suppose to be watching over me and they forgot about my stupid, adventurous ass. I almost drowned and I remember being told I began to freak out and turn white as a ghost.

Second time I remember very vividly and I was much older. I was 17 at the time and I was walking home from a friend's house at night around 2am. This was your typical DC suburban neighborhood; semi-dark streets with the sporadic, yellow gloom of streetlights during a humid and warm August night. Then, a group of gangstas / thugs / gang members / wanna-be rappers / whatever the hell you want to call them started shadowing me out of no where.

At first I figured they were just high as kites or drunk and were heading to where ever, minding their own business. There were 7 - 10 of them and one of them quickly walked and jogged up to my side and then in front of me. The guy positioning himself in front of me took about 5, 7 seconds to do so (I told you I remember this very well). After those seconds and when he was positioned in front of me, I realized what was happening -- they were positioning themselves to assault me and halt my escape. Just as soon as I realized that, I heard a bunch of footsteps approaching my rear. I turned only to glance at what must have been 5 of them right behind me. I immediately turned my head to face forward and a split-second after I did that, I was struck in the back of the head by a full bottle of Sky Vodka.

As much of the detail I remember of that night, the 5 - 10 seconds after I was struck in the head were completely erased from my memory. Whenever you hear someone talking about blackouts and concussions and the memory loss they experience as a result of it, they literally mean you lose a section of your memory. It's almost as if someone went into your mind and ripped out a page or paragraph of your memory and you will never recall it again -- ever.

Anyway, I fell to the ground and blacked out for a bit -- I know this because my knees and hands were cut up and small pebbles of rocks were in the skin of my palms -- and I ran as fast as I could. Let me tell you, when you have a group or posse of guys chasing after you with the sole intentions of beating the sh¡t out of you and robbing you, you run like the devil is after you. To this day I still cannot fathom how I was able to out-run all of those guys. I was taken to the hospital later and the doctor said I probably out-ran them because of A. My natural instincts and adrenaline kicked in and B. I'm naturally a fast runner. The place where my memory picks up after I was hit was bolting down streets, running and bumping into trees and cars as I ran. I was running with a concussion... It's kinda hard to run straight when you have one of those. Know what I mean? I ran about a mile and a half, close to two. About 4 of the ass-tards chased me for about a mile.

Well, you're probably wondering what shock has to do with all of this. When I arrived home, I fell through the door and landed on my face. My father came to the door to see what the hell was happening. He looked at my back and said, "What the fawk happened?” I went to the bathroom to see my back and it was soaked with blood. The entire back of my T-shirt was soaked and I had a nice inch-and-a-half, two-inch gash in my neck. The gash was pretty deep, too. That's when I began to fall into shock. Shock is exactly what the name suggests -- shock. Your mind is so freaked and shocked that it sort of shuts down in a way. I began to grow dizzy, nauseous, my vision became blurry and my mind clouded up. Naturally, my father drove me to the hospital for stitches and schtuff. A lot of the shock kicked in while I was in the car. When I arrived at the hospital, I was white as a ghost -- or so the people told me there afterwards. I apparently lost a good amount of blood 'cause I remember them hooking one of those fluid-feeding things to me. Blah, blah, *insert usual hospital schtuff and stitches here. Yay... stitches are fun...*

On my way home, I asked my father why I fell into shock and he told me it could've been a few things and a combination of things. The fact that I was cut and seriously bleeding, while running as fast as I could, meant my heart rate was sky-high as was my blood pressure. Also, the sheer shock of turning to see my back red in blood wasn't pleasant either. Honestly, though, despite the physical side of my shock and the usual shock schtuff, I was mostly shocked where my gash was. It was dangerously close to my major artery in my neck; just an inch, or a couple, to the right and my artery would've been cut open. I hate thinking about what would've happened if I hadn't out-ran the ass-tards or if I completely blacked out and fell unconscience, sitting there bleeding to death and getting stomped out. All for what though? Of all the things that happened, I always ask myself when I think of the event, "For what?” Hell, if they wanted to rob me I would have handed over whatever I had on me.

To some, this may not seem like a big thing. All I have to say is that you have to experience it to know what it’s like. Chance just happened to be with me, or my hard head (yuk, yuk), that prevented me from being knocked out completely.

I’ve been in a car crash, slammed to the bottom of the ocean by a wave at the beach and blacked out, almost struck by lightning, but none of those seemed to have stuck with me like this did. Don’t know why….. Maybe it’s the sheer primal fear of being chased by a pack of wild things while you’re wounded. You know, like an animal would do or feel… or somethin’.

Note: I had some stupid friends back in the day. Some of my friends criticized me for not defending myself. Can you believe that?
Thats pretty creepy.

Well I had what bliink said then, which sounds like a cooler thing to have in that situation anyway :)

Dux said:
Forgive me, master of all that is shock. :hmph:

No, that's that survival crap thing Bliink said. I took first-aid classes, I know.

Sorry for sharing a story with the thread. Next time I'll retain myself and not make a lengthy contribution.

The Dark Elf said:
Thats pretty creepy.

Well I had what bliink said then, which sounds like a cooler thing to have in that situation anyway :)
Oh yeah, I know people who live for that...

The Dark Elf said:
Hehe actually her usual greeting when she sees me is "what do you want?"

If she's not throwing vases or other shattering objects at me, im smashing up her car.. I just don't think its possible for me and her to _ever_ get along properly lol

You two know each other in r/l?

Icarus said:
Oh yeah, I know people who live for that...
It's called "the rush"...it's why most people do extreme sports or skydive or some close to death crap...

Tr0n said:
It's called "the rush"...it's why most people do extreme sports or skydive or some close to death crap...
I want to try skydiving so bad....

Back