Havok Physics in MP2 gives you an idea about Hl2...

B

Bridger

Just played Max Payne 2, which also uses the havok physics engine. The game is beautiful! A grenade goes off in a bunch of guys and they all go flying through the air. If they impact with something, it crashes in front of them. I've shot a bad guy, only to see him stumble backward into a shelf structure, break the boards on it, he falls down, the shelves fall on top of him, and something from the top shelf falls onto a table with a box that knocks the box off. All of this unscripted! You can just walk around the level bumping into things and watching them fall over. It's absolutly amazing!

It really reminds me what the physics in the E3 demos looked like, and i just can't wait to see it in action in HL2!

Very sweet indeed. I'll have to take a small chunk out of my "ATi Video-Card Savings" and buy myself a copy of MP2 ;)

How did you get the camera to change like that? Is there a special button to move the camera around max or do you have to go in developer mode and play around with the camera options.

Amish, I must say that I love the lighting effects from the explosion(s) in pictures 11 and 12. :D :D :D

My system specs are in my sig. If you can't see them, they're here

AMD Barton XP 2500+
512 MB DDR RAM PC2700
ATI Radeon 9600 256mb
So on and so forth...

I had 1024x768 (for some reason 1280x1024 doesn't like to work for me) 6xAA and 16xAF. It runs perfectly at 60-ish fps.

As for how I took the shots, this is what I wrote in the Off Topic Forum:

With the -developerkeys in your shortcut, you should be able to do anything you need camera and screenshot-wise.

What I've done is this process:

1. Get to the appropriate point where I wanna take a screen and stop.
2. Press "End" a bunch of times until the action is just about stopped.
3. Do my thing (dive, shoot, whatever).
4. Press "End" one more time to freeze the action.
5. Press "F3" to change camera modes (Now you dont control max but the camera)
6. Move tha camera to a good point with the arrow keys and get a good angle with the mouse.
7. Press "F10" to take the shot.
8. Then you can press "Home" 10 times to speed the action back up to normal.

Things fall too slowly sometimes. It's especially noticeable when you grenade folks. They float in the air much longer than they should. Looks pretty weak.

Anyone know any links to some good MP2 videos / trailers? I'd like to see a few before I go out tomorrow or Saturday to buy it...

Max Payne 2 is the best game I have played this year.

Good Lord this game surpasses the first with flying colors.

My God.

It's a little on the short side, but I will let modding handle that :)

Yes I've been playing MAx Payne. Best game I've played this year aswell. Very special.

I agree also, best game of the year so far.

At the end of the game, when the music starts playing, and the final portion of the graphic novel played, it felt like I had a lead weight in my stomach. Remedy has almost mastered the art of creating a truely moving story.

max payne 2 lucked out with D3 and hl2 being pushed back...probably really helped the sales. i couldnt get into the first one, but maybe ill end up playing this one at some point...id like to just mess around with the demo whenever its released

i agree. great game. the textures are amazing, they make the levels look almost photorealistic

Crush, those are part of a "fun house" based on a weird TV show in the game. You go to the fun house to meet somebody.

Originally posted by Cheetarah654
max payne 2 lucked out with D3 and hl2 being pushed back...probably really helped the sales. i couldnt get into the first one, but maybe ill end up playing this one at some point...id like to just mess around with the demo whenever its released

They said the demo won't be available until at least late Dec, more likely January. They're currently working on the Xbox and PS2 ports that come out early december. I was skeptical as to how all the bells and whistles would look on the consoles, but the level of optimization apparant in the PC version erases the skepticism.

Originally posted by Bridger
Crush, those are part of a "fun house" based on a weird TV show in the game. You go to the fun house to meet somebody.

That was one of the best parts of the game!! Especially the ball launcher into the paintcans , perfect physics.

Originally posted by DimitriPopov
That was one of the best parts of the game!! Especially the ball launcher into the paintcans , perfect physics.

Yup, that's where i am right now.

I love it!! You can do pretty much anything you want.

Turn on the water in the sink or shower.
Get towels out of the dispenser.
Knock down boxes.
Push anything out of your way.
Open almost everything that you would think opens.

That funhouse creeped me out at like 2am with lights out. "Death! It's coming...it's coming!" "The flesh! The flesh!" jeez... that gave me the jibblies... got a few new screens up.

GOTY definatly, the most awesone ragdolls ive ever seen, and enemys joly realistically when there shot and smoothly go into the most realistic ragdolls ive ever seen, some of the deaths look so real its almost scary

Yeah, been playing MP2 for awhile now. Great game and I don't care if people think it's to short, it's still a very good game with a great story that you can play over and over and over and over. :p

oh well :( looks like mp2 is takin the crown off hl2 for game of the year :/ if only it came out on time ffs :/

Originally posted by Cheetarah654

true.

but for me i was always getting MP2

i downloaded the videos from gamers hell

http://www.gamershell.com/

and noticed the "physics" when a guy got shot and fell into a shelf knocking it all over and stuff.

im REALY looking forward to it.

the pills would ease the pain...but not for long

Damn, the console doesn't come down even when I use -developer!
So I can't just give myself everything and god mode to go around and take cool pictures.

EDIT: Well, I can take pictures and change the camera... but I can't get all weapons and the other cheats.

Originally posted by OCybrManO
Damn, the console doesn't come down even when I use -developer!
So I can't just give myself everything and god mode to go around and take cool pictures.

EDIT: Well, I can take pictures and change the camera... but I can't get all weapons and the other cheats.

is -developer outside the quotation marks (i.e. \maxpayne2.exe" -developer)

And you have to use ~ in MP2 instead of F12 in MP1.

It should give an error if you try to put -developer inside the quotation marks... and yes, I know it's ~, that's the first thing I tried.

neat pics. I think I'm gonna get MP2 aswell.

At this rate by the time HL2 comes out it will be an average shooter with a story and D3 wont look so special either.

F10 works to take pictures but saves them in ghey tga format, and changing it to jpg or bmp doesnt work >_<

Got through 90% of the game last night and i was very impressed with the physics, i honestly thought that it would take a while for this kinda physics to become a standard in games, but it looks like its happening far quicker than i expected. Theres lots of games which are now using it (time crisis 3 on the PS2 is awesome), max payne 2 was really very good, and most games done in the UT2003 engine (quite a lot now) seem to use some kind of physics.

It looks like the average cpu is capable of doing these kind of calculations in game enviroments and still have speed left over for the rest of the game :)

The game itself is quite good, much like the origional, but the fact that it got so hard so quickly put me right of completing it, which i've yet to do. I think that any reasonable FPS game in the future is likly to have these sort of physics as standard, since most of the major engines that they will be built on already have them (UT2003, HL2, Doom3)

It wont be long before we expect the likes of stuff like this in our games, for now its a really cool novelty :)

it looks exactly like this guys
"C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Max Payne 2\MaxPayne2.exe" -developerkeys -screenshot"

INCLUDING the quotation marks

Owskie - Yeah, we know...

I'll post two examples (you don't need to see a bunch because all of the pictures are pretty much the same) of the bad deformation that I was talking about:

Attachments

• deformation01.jpg
    deformation01.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 468
I know you probably won't see the old lady doing a backflip like in this picture... but her arms could probably get in that position when she goes ragdoll:

Attachments

• deformation02.jpg
    deformation02.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 512
Originally posted by OCybrManO
I know you probably won't see the old lady doing a backflip like in this picture... but her arms could probably get in that position when she goes ragdoll:

what do you freakin expect? your doing a move with a character that was never meant to do that move, jesus christ

Back