Havok Physics in MP2 gives you an idea about Hl2...

Originally posted by Owskie
how are you getting pics to jpg format

any image viewer worth a damn should be able to convert from tga to any format, or from any format to any other format for that matter.

try irfanview.com (it's free)

Originally posted by Princess_Frosty

The game itself is quite good, much like the origional, but the fact that it got so hard so quickly put me right of completing it, which i've yet to do.

The difficulty is self-adjusting, if you keep dying the game makes it a little easier. (However, if you try a time or two and then quit you'll never notice this. Also, when you quit, the game doesn't remember that it was too hard, when you load again, the savegame will load the original difficulty, not the easier form.)

In other words, if you can't get past a point, just keep dying and reloading a couple times, it will become easier (i.e. More painkillers will appear, enemy reflexes will slow, etc.)

Originally posted by mbrithoms
what do you freakin expect? your doing a move with a character that was never meant to do that move, jesus christ
I expected them to use a better animation system.
... one that allows vertices to be attatched to between multiple bones and the position would blend between them... but instead, they are still using the same system used in Half-Life.

That's just not going to cut it anymore.

Especially with high-poly characters and ragdoll physics... where the arms are able to bend into positions like that (unless the character's arms are limited to 90 degree bending, in which case the ragdolls won't look realistic).

When you put ragdoll physics into a game you should plan for the characters to get into positions like that.

It turns out MP2 was being picky about my keyboard drivers... I had a wireless mouse and keyboard on this computer about half a year ago, but I switched them over to a different computer and never took the drivers off this system.

Though, until now, that driver never gave me any problems... only the ~ key in MP2.

Only one thing to say right now..D'OH! ( If I am offensive in the next part, sorry to you all from USA) Americans did it again! And now
MP 2 comes ( or came) first out in USA, not Finland! AARGH! Those greedy developers sold it out... Now comes the new stage of "mistakes of native countries of products" , like the Nokia case (60% of USA inhabitants thought that Nokia was Japanese. Or some other country than..you know what.). Ah, gotta cool down or something....

MP2 is the best single player game i have played since HL
if it had Multiplayer it would be the best game I ever bought.
but meh
took me 10 hours to finish, and I took my time (listened to all the conversations, watched all the shows etc)
it is short, but its the most compelling single player experience I have ever experienced.
the funhouse really drew me in... when oyu hear Mona singing off in the distance (I have surround sound and EAX) it freaked the hell outta me, since I didnt know it was her.. it reminded me of this one horror movie (cant remember the name) where suddenly soft old music starts playing upstairs from a record player...

freaky shit, I wish Undying 2 would be created.
or a decent horror game, Max payne is a touch on the dark side and I loved that.
I read somewhere that Multiplayer may be "modded" in later... I pray this is true.

Originally posted by Slime
Only one thing to say right now..D'OH! ( If I am offensive in the next part, sorry to you all from USA) Americans did it again! And now
MP 2 comes ( or came) first out in USA, not Finland! AARGH! Those greedy developers sold it out... Now comes the new stage of "mistakes of native countries of products" , like the Nokia case (60% of USA inhabitants thought that Nokia was Japanese. Or some other country than..you know what.). Ah, gotta cool down or something....

US gets screwed sometimes. although usually not major games. but games like gothic 2 werent seen in the US for months after the european release. and UFO aftermath was released in europe first as well. just to name a couple. but these developers were european so it made sense.

The US doesn't have everything.

Arcades are a great example...
I used to go to arcades all the time and there where two or three close to where I lived and went to school.
Now, of the only two arcades I have found so far, one is in Ybor (Gameworks) and one is in Orlando (DisneyQuest)... so the closest one is half an hour away, but there isn't as much to do there.

"Hey, wha' happened?"

They are all over the place in Japan.

Originally posted by Slime

Cool, my gf's Finnish. I went to Helsinki in the summer and thought it was great out there.

And I think we'd better point out to everyone here that Remedy is a Finnish developer.

Hauska tutustua, Slime.

the mp2 physics rock :).. but eveything would just be more fun in 1st person :p

hl2 hl2 hl2

If you liked the original Max Payne, MP2 is just so much better. The psyhsics, graphics, and storyline really make the game one of the best I've played in along time.

I thought the story was better in the first one. And it was longer. And I liekd the MP1 bullet-time better.

The physics and graphics are excellente. The presentation and story-telling are much better in Max Payne 2, and the gameplay still kicks ass, but it was fresher in the original.

Does anybody know how to activate the new catalyst effects for Radeons? I want to play it through with the sketch effect.

i didn't think MP2 was that impressive.

it was very fun and it's great to throw grenades around and watch boxes and chairs etc go flying across the room in bullet time, and the ragdoll physics is top notch. but it's exactly the same as MP1. very disappointing. they could've really pushed this game and fully explored the universe they created. instead we get a game that's more linear than a roman road and shorter than danny de vito.

not impressed at all.

This is nice

Attachments

• shot0008.jpg
    shot0008.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 394
i think the mp2 physics are good, but not even close to hl2. Ive played both, and in mp2 the bodys go flying around unrealistically when they get shot at, but it still looks cool. In hl2 guys die relistically, i just think valve has tweaked the havok engine better:cheers:

Great game... I was pleasantly surpized by the risque moments in it. Partial nudity and the use of the 'F' word arent too common in games nowadays. Risque indeed.

One graphical element I was impressed by was the the dream-state Max was in several times. The disorentation and blurring effects were VERY good.

And refering to the above 2 screenshots... I was wondering if they actually modeled her anotomically correct.

Originally posted by DuncanIdahoTPF
One graphical element I was impressed by was the the dream-state Max was in several times. The disorentation and blurring effects were VERY good.
I'll say. Those sections actually made me nauseous!

Yeah, I have a very strong stomach and it actually made me borderline naeseous... It was a very cool sensation. =O)

Oh and one more thing.. How did you use the nekkid Mona model as your model anyways? =OP

The dream sections are cool. I was hoping they weren't gonna be anything like the dreams in MP1 where you'd be running on the baby's blood trail...jeez that was messed up.

I think that MP2 went for more of an action-hollywood sorta game with the physics. That's why people go flying and stuff. HL2 went for more real-life realism.

EDIT: You can flip through models ingame if you have -developerkeys or -developer on (maybe both...I dunno which) and you press pageup and pagedown.

Originally posted by philterlecki
i think the mp2 physics are good, but not even close to hl2. Ive played both, and in mp2 the bodys go flying around unrealistically when they get shot at, but it still looks cool. In hl2 guys die relistically, i just think valve has tweaked the havok engine better:cheers:
I think it was meant to be that way in max payne for more of an action effect... Max payne2 isn't a game that strives for that much realism anyways

Oh and yes the dream sequences were great and so was bullet time mode where you spin around in slow motion
great effects

WHENS THE DEMO WHENS THE DEMO WHENS THE DEMO WHENS THE DEMO WHENS THE DEMO WHENS THE DEMO WHENS THE DEMO WHENS THE DEMO WHENS THE DEMO WHENS THE DEMO WHENS THE DEMO WHENS THE DEMO WHENS THE DEMO WHENS THE DEMO WHENS THE DEMO WHENS THE DEMO WHENS THE DEMO WHENS THE DEMO

yea max payne kicks ass kinda difficult since i suck at this third person veiw but yea its cool im at part 3 chapter 3 or so how many chapters are in it?

theres 3 parts and 8 chapters i think,maybe 9. I just beat it like 10 mins ago...its a great game...and i loved that guy in the costume!
"Well that was fun, in a ****ing terrible,sick,not-at-all-fun kind of way."

Originally posted by OCybrManO
I expected them to use a better animation system.
... one that allows vertices to be attatched to between multiple bones and the position would blend between them... but instead, they are still using the same system used in Half-Life.

That's just not going to cut it anymore.

Especially with high-poly characters and ragdoll physics... where the arms are able to bend into positions like that (unless the character's arms are limited to 90 degree bending, in which case the ragdolls won't look realistic).

When you put ragdoll physics into a game you should plan for the characters to get into positions like that.

whatever! considering that particual character has only two lines in the game its fantastically modelled even just for that, and consider the clothes she is wearing as well, stop being an idiot, the ragdoll physics fot the corpses look far better than the hl2 ones do, my opinon anyway

I think MP2 has probably stolen a great deal of HL2's thunder. HL2 could well turn out to be a better game, but at this point, many of it's new features that were going to make it a revolutionary game have now come out in other great games as well, making it not a leader of the pack, but a "me-too!" game.

Originally posted by ProRook
theres 3 parts and 8 chapters i think,maybe 9. I just beat it like 10 mins ago...its a great game...and i loved that guy in the costume!
"Well that was fun, in a ****ing terrible,sick,not-at-all-fun kind of way."

That was my favourite quote of the game.

Goddamn! Why do you people critique a game down to the last minor friggin particle in some obscure frame? You know why I buy games? I buy games to have fun. This game is fun as hell.

Nah. Max Payne 2 hasn't stolen anything. Even the Half-Life 2 beta had better ragdolls than MP2 did (not to say MP2's are bad), and now hit reactions are supposed to have been added in as well. If MP2 would have made physics an intregal part of the game that played a major role in gameplay, then maybe we could say it had stolen something from Half-Life 2. But as it stands MP2 uses physics in exactly the same way every other game that has them does, it uses them for show. Half-Life 2 isn't revolutionary simply because it has physics, it's revolutionary for the way in which it uses them.

Good point Apos. MP2 has stolen some people's lust for HL2. It's the physics that we wanted from HL2, but we have to get them late, so MP2's physics made people forget about HL2.. at least a bit. [HL2] is no longer so much of a groundbreaking game.

Originally posted by qckbeam
Even the Half-Life 2 beta had better ragdolls than MP2 did (not to say MP2's are bad), and now hit

that would be no

that would be no

Perfect example of an unsupported statement. Care to tell us how you came to that conclusion?

MP2 looks good, i also want to play DeusX. The 1st was a great game can wait to play the second.

mbrithoms: If you played the Half-Life 2 beta you would know just how realistic the Half-Life 2 ragdolls are, and you woulnd't try to argue with me about this. They ARE without a doubt more realistic. The physics system is much more robust in Half-Life 2, you can't argue that. Havok by itself is what you see with MP2, and it serves it's purpose well since the game only uses it for show. Valves version of Havok allows for all objects to react very realistically with the enviroment they are in, this includes ragdolls. I can't really prove it without screenshots, videos, or talk about the beta since all those things are "illegal" on the forums.

whatever! considering that particual character has only two lines in the game its fantastically modelled even just for that, and consider the clothes she is wearing as well, stop being an idiot, the ragdoll physics fot the corpses look far better than the hl2 ones do, my opinon anyway
Did you read my post or look at the other picture?

Everyone has some degree of that problem... even Mona and Max suffer from it (though, Max doesn't have such a severe case of deformation)... it's not only on characters that have two lines.

It is a flaw in the engine... and as an amateur game designer it disheartens me to see major problems that are so easy to fix left in a game of such high caliber.

I still say that it is one of the best games I have ever played... but I refuse to overlook such an obvious problem.

Don't go around calling people names when you are the one that doesn't know anything about the subject. The moderators don't approve of it and it makes you look like a jerk.

Back