[Help] Rotating door.

MiMMiC

Reaction score
Hey guys..been tooling away at hammer. Last time I tried editing a HL map was back when we were all on worldcraft. Anyway. I'm trying to make a revolving door like in an airport. 4 doors with a central pivot.

I've tried doing a prop_door_rotating but that requires a model...so I fill it with some random pipe model that comes with the SDK.

I then took a brush and put it next to the pivot. Tried tie to entity...didn't work. Tried to parent it...didn't work.

I would like a door that has 4 doors..with a rotating pivot point in the middle. However..I want this all to be done with the physics. I want the player to walk up to the door to push it around. Not a trigger.

Anyone got any ideas?

Major problem #1: While you can push a physics prop, the prop won't push you.

What that means is what you want to do isn't possible using physics props. You'll have to make a regular door.

Paypal me $15 USD and I'll tell you how to do it!

j/k.

1) Create object
2) Tie it to the func_physbox entity
3) Create a phys_hinge entity, and make the original object its "Entity 1"
4) Place the hinge at the center of the object and point the funny little ball "upwards"
5) Paypal me $15 USD!!!

HAND.

that doesnt make a door, that just makes a hinge, and from my experience, its very hard to push the constrainted object. Try the prop_rotating_door or something like that (didnt test it tho)

rkef said:
Paypal me $15 USD and I'll tell you how to do it!

j/k.

1) Create object
2) Tie it to the func_physbox entity
3) Create a phys_hinge entity, and make the original object its "Entity 1"
4) Place the hinge at the center of the object and point the funny little ball "upwards"
5) Paypal me $15 USD!!!

HAND.

Lol.....I almost might pay you 15. Hah...Good job figuring that one out..only question is. How can I do it 3 times and keep the distances btwn the brushes the same at all times?

Remember..this is a revolving door..with 4 actual doors tied to it. All that does if make 1 move. I'm about to give it a try at figuring it out to do multiple doors like I'm going to have. but that phys_hinge only has 2 entity spots...not sure yet.

MiMMiC said:
Lol.....I almost might pay you 15. Hah...Good job figuring that one out..only question is. How can I do it 3 times and keep the distances btwn the brushes the same at all times?

Remember..this is a revolving door..with 4 actual doors tied to it. All that does if make 1 move. I'm about to give it a try at figuring it out to do multiple doors like I'm going to have. but that phys_hinge only has 2 entity spots...not sure yet.
Same principle, just select multiple brushes, and tie them to the func_physbox.

Check it out (~4MB file, requires DivX). Sorry about the violent ending. All in good fun, "thereisnospoon" :p.

edit: link fixed

Your link is broken. And I still can't get it to work properly. I can only get 1 brush per hinge. I need the brushes to rotate together around the hinge. With equal spacing. I can do multiple hinges for the multiple brushes..but then the doors end up next to each other instead of spaced out. If your video link would work..I'd like to take a look at it

____

Link working now...d/ling :p

HAHAHAHAHAH...nice video. Can you explain the exact setup of hinges/phys_box's for me. Man..this thing is killer if you haven't mapped in years.

Also, are you using 4 brushes or 2 brushes for the "doors"
__
Edit:
I've got it working with 2 brushes grouped on opposite sides of the hinge. However..when I do the same with the perpendicular brushes it won't move.
__
Edit again:
If you want...email me....that little map with the revolving doors. So I can take a look at it to better understand it

MiMMiC said:
HAHAHAHAHAH...nice video. Can you explain the exact setup of hinges/phys_box's for me. Man..this thing is killer if you haven't mapped in years.
:). I just created one panel, then duplicated it. Shrunk it down, to half the width, minus the depth. Duplicated that and placed it on either side of the double-wide panel, perpendicularly. Then selected all three brushes and hit ctrl-t, to tie it to the func_physbox entity. This groups it into one object.

It should be self-explanatory from there. Just name the object, place the hinge at the center, set the object as "Entity 1", make the hinge point "up".

Cheers.

OK....Thanks . Got it working now. I didn't even think for some reason to make all of those brushes 1 entity. Thanks so much!!!

AND!!....1 more question. Lol.
Seems like there is some friction...it's not rotating very easily. On the hinge entity I have it set to 0 for friction. Any clue?

Ok...n/m on that last post. I had a stone texture on it...and well...it moved slow. I put a wood on it..and it went faster..not much faster..but I could certainly tell. On the stone textured doors I could barely keep it moving with pistol shots. On the wood textured doors I could easily keep it moving.

hehe cool, so all of those are func_physbox? i gotta figure out how to export models, makes life a lot ezer (for me anyways)

ps. there IS a spoon ;)

MiMMiC said:
Ok...n/m on that last post. I had a stone texture on it...and well...it moved slow. I put a wood on it..and it went faster..not much faster..but I could certainly tell. On the stone textured doors I could barely keep it moving with pistol shots. On the wood textured doors I could easily keep it moving.
Because of materials I'd say. I.e what's easier to push? Stone or wood?

Back