Hexing movie #4 !!!!

One reason why Steam blows, once you remove a user from your friends list you can't get them back on it.

One reason why Steam blows, once you remove a user from your friends list you can't get them back on it.

wtf where duz that come from/have anything to do with hexin vid 4?

It comes from his big blue and yellow tin of spam.

:D

Just to inform you guys, that the current "Search for the probably non-existant until Monday 4th Movie" has at the moment upturned no amazing finds. We're doubtful we have the movie on our harddrives, and Erik's explainations may be true. I would quote him but it's 03:30 and I can't be arsed. If you've got a brain, use the forum search feature, if not then make a brand new thread and ask if they know what his explaination was and feel the wrath.

I'll have a good look through the cache again in a few hours after I've had some sleep.

Originally posted by Falco
They've said twice already, the fourth movie won't be preloaded till early next week. I can't explain what Steam downloaded though.

4th post people....this man is right...you cant hack into the 4th video becuase it isn't there! :rolling:

Yeah my brain exploded and I'm never looking at hex code again.

Bye.

Originally posted by csmighty
4th post people....this man is right...you cant hack into the 4th video becuase it isn't there! :rolling:

Not only can you not hack it because it isn't there, but can't hack it because it'll be encrypted.

Well, I had a long look through my gcache.gcf file, and found four BINK movie headers. Don't get your hopes up, though: two headers had the same file length, so Erik's comment about Steam re-downloading due to a bug is likely true. I tried to extract the contents of the files, but they crash as soon as the hl2 logo starts to fade. I'm guessing this is because parts of the gcache.gcf are reused for later downloads. If anyone's interested, the BINK file format can be found here, and the BINK files are located at these offsets:
Code:
Start    File Length
--------------------
00306490 2fccad4
0ca4a490 2fccad4
0032c490 5246a38
0ca5a490 4480460

O.k.. I've had it..

Here's what I came up with, for the record:

Looking at the hex on the G-Man and Dock video's, it looks like the extracted BINK consists of PE code, a "BINK" header, and finally a "BIK" header. The "BIK" is the important one.

I used the RAD tools to create my own .bik videos to compare as well. It appears the BINK header only is used when the file is converted to a BINK package (.exe).

Searching through the cache, there are four "BINK" headers. However, the fourth (last sequentially) "BINK" header looks nothing like the other three valid ones or the examples I created. I couldn't find a file format doc for the BINK header, but it looks pretty simple.

There are multiple instances of ANSI "BIK" throughtout the cache, but I only found three that actually fit the correct file format, the others appear to be unrelated.

I don't think there is a fourth video in there and if it is, then they got me.

-Mr. Bildo

Originally posted by Mr. Bildo
O.k.. I've had it..

Here's what I came up with, for the record:

Looking at the hex on the G-Man and Dock video's, it looks like the extracted BINK consists of PE code, a "BINK" header, and finally a "BIK" header. The "BIK" is the important one.

I used the RAD tools to create my own .bik videos to compare as well. It appears the BINK header only is used when the file is converted to a BINK package (.exe).

Searching through the cache, there are four "BINK" headers. However, the fourth (last sequentially) "BINK" header looks nothing like the other three valid ones or the examples I created. I couldn't find a file format doc for the BINK header, but it looks pretty simple.

There are multiple instances of ANSI "BIK" throughtout the cache, but I only found three that actually fit the correct file format, the others appear to be unrelated.

I don't think there is a fourth video in there and if it is, then they got me.

-Mr. Bildo

I did the same myself and unfortunately found the exact same info. Oh well just have to wait for Monday. I was so sure if I ripped apart the bik format we would find it in there just minus the player. <sigh> :x

Originally posted by prsearle
Well, I had a long look through my gcache.gcf file, and found four BINK movie headers. Don't get your hopes up, though: two headers had the same file length, so Erik's comment about Steam re-downloading due to a bug is likely true. I tried to extract the contents of the files, but they crash as soon as the hl2 logo starts to fade. I'm guessing this is because parts of the gcache.gcf are reused for later downloads. If anyone's interested, the BINK file format can be found here, and the BINK files are located at these offsets:
Code:
Start    File Length
--------------------
00306490 2fccad4
0ca4a490 2fccad4
0032c490 5246a38
0ca5a490 4480460

Just for further proof, those are the exact file sizes as the extracted movie exe's.

0x2FCCAD4 bytes = 49 MB
0x5246a38 bytes = 82 MB
0x4480460 bytes = 70 MB

So apparently you have two copies of docks.

Maybe if someone is hired to bust in Valve headquarters with a fake gun, we can get them in 20 years after the guy that does it gets out of jail!

Well guys i would like to say thanks for giving it a shot. Good tries.... I really wish there was something we could do but it seems to be a dead end now... ;-/

Aww well It was fun as long as it lasted.
We'll just have to wait until monday.
(Not end of the world, eh?)

i mean it would be kinda stupid...they say they cant release a vid every day because it kills there bandwith...but why do they release a patch every day then? its less but still...

It's a bug ferd. We apparently re-downloaded one of the videos to the cache file.

A patch is generally less than 2 MB. The video files are well over 20 MB. You do the math.

Dont take it up the rear from valve! we gotta show em' they cant mess with us! THere is a way to get them, you just need to find how.

spam2.jpg

Back