HL : Source (Full Overhaul Modification)

What Homer said :)

Try your hand out at some old HL textures and try improve them muchso like in the link to MapCore posted on the first page :)

If I werent already on a mod team I'd join. But good luck to you anyways. Cant wait too see what you accomplish.

Bump mapping (where applicable) has already been noted thanks :)

SnowBall, if you change your mind :)

Anyone else?

Give it a couple of days and site will be fully up and running :)

A waste of time.

Just think, all the effort that goes into a remake could be used to make something completely fresh and original. At best your gonna end up with a game we have already played serveral times, only with nicer graphics.

May well be seen as a waste of time to some, but without HL none of this would exist, wouldn't be talking like this.

It's less work than a normal modification takes and theres plenty out there with new concepts to look forward to.

I don't think it'll be a waste of time, providing its done really really well and makes HL1 almost a whole new game, well within reason.

Just something that makes it how it should have looked if there had been the technology today back then.

Hey jheaddon i wouldnt mind helping but i dont really know which area i would be helpful in. Ill try and practise on creating new textures for now though :)

Cheers DarkElf

Resien, practise on what you would prefer doing, no point in learning to model if not artistic in that way or not enjoying it.

Feel free to post some examples :)

Also, where you from in kent? lived in tonbridge wells for a couple of years :)

I live in Broadstairs, next to Margate :)

Yea ive been thinking about doing some texture art for some time now, ive been using Photoshop for about 4 years but thats one area that i havent practised in. So i might as well start now :) .

Everyone is talking about how it's just improving graphics, and I hope you guys don't see it that way. Certainly it's a big part of it, but look at CS:S, they didn't just change the graphics, they added new objects, different architecture, took crappy things out. Please, if you are going to redo HL, make everything better, other than slapping on new textures. Since there seem to be several halfbaked project for a redo at the moment, I suggest a large alliance be made, and make HL using the full extent of the Source's power.

Art_Crime said:
Everyone is talking about how it's just improving graphics, and I hope you guys don't see it that way. Certainly it's a big part of it, but look at CS:S, they didn't just change the graphics, they added new objects, different architecture, took crappy things out. Please, if you are going to redo HL, make everything better, other than slapping on new textures. Since there seem to be several halfbaked project for a redo at the moment, I suggest a large alliance be made, and make HL using the full extent of the Source's power.
Check his other thread in the help wanted, looks like thats what he plans, something far more than just making a few textures.

Yeh had a chat with Dark Elf and have realised the possibilities of a complete workup, will post the design document to a few in a couple of days, see what they reckon :)

One Question, is this a mod of Half Life Source, or is it you porting Half Life and then adding new stuff?

Some Ideas for Weapons Models,

Crowbar: use HL2 Crowbar
Pistol: use one from CSS
.357 Pistol: use HL2 version
M16 style gun: use CT Assault Rifle from CSS
Shotgun: either HL2 one or a CSS one
Crossbow: HL2 one
Guass gun: HL2 version
Rocket Launcher: HL2 version
I think thats all the weapons

It's kind of around the same idea as HL:S, just done well :) so i dunno whether to class it as a HL:S or a HL2 mod..

As for the weapon models, they're all going to be built from scratch so can be best suited for the feel of the game, don't want to be stealing others work :)

Call it Half-Life reborn.. hehe

No but seriously, you'd probably want to avoid calling it HL:S to avoid confusion, HLSE or HL'04 or something like that might be best, so people know its not the official one.

I wouldn't want to use the same models. I think the crowbar should look a little different. I don't know about using the M16 instead of the MP5. The MP5 uses pistol ammo and a M16 should take rifle ammo. I just think it's odd that a M16 would share ammo with a hand gun. But it's a minor detail. I guess it doesn't matter. I know the HD pack uses the M4 or M16.

This would rock, because HL: Source is a waste of money, they are reusing the same blocky architecture and bad textures from 1997 and just adding some water and physics.

Oi Elf, stop trying to wade HLSE my way :p

All models will be made from scratch don't worry :)

call it Half-Life: Black Mesa or HL: The Black Mesa Incident or something like that

had originally picked:

Half-Life : Extrinsic Motivation

relevant and original :) but see what you guys think

Fine fine, but you did want HLSE, i mean comon :p

Want something original for once

I'd join you, but I'm not working on anything HL2 related until I see an SDK.

jheaddon said:
Fine fine, but you did want HLSE, i mean comon :p

Want something original for once
well the HLSE name came about cause originally it was gonna be adding the odd improvement, like seeing things through windows instead of them just being textures, hence special edition, since it was the same kind of stuff the star wars special edition had done.. then it grew from there to a complete remake

I just think it fits for yours is all ;) hehehe

But it's more than a few simple add-ons now isn't it ;)

Complete overhaul, why i thought a new name should be used.

i prefer Derek / Pablo personally..

By the time it's finished will be more like Half-Life 2007 :p

But come on, wouldn't you want a *new* sp game rather than some remake?

Chaos, it'll be more than a remake trust me :)

Whole point in it, not to deviate too far from the story but to bring a new experience

I think it wuld be great okeep everything intact for from the original but also add some extra features- like the uplink demo from the orginal. somehow it was intergrated into the story quite effectively.

Also Like many people are dissapointed that they only enhanced the phisics and water effects. I've heard that it would be much more simpler to add and port form the original maps.

I think a Goldeneye/Perfect Dark mod should be made before anything else !

SGT Tenor said:
Also Like many people are dissapointed that they only enhanced the phisics and water effects. I've heard that it would be much more simpler to add and port form the original maps.

I wish I had the original map. You wouldn't happen to have them would you?

I think many people would want a remake. I happen to like the idea so I'm going to work on it. Baal, if you think a Goldeneye/Perfect Dark mod is a good idea then you make it happen.

PvtRyan said:
The biggest problem with HL is that it wasn't designed for Source. Basically, all you can do is pump up the graphics, and is it really that fun to create a mod like that, that basically is just improved graphics?

You just described CS:S :p

Back