HL: Source Overhaul Mod Media

Chris D

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure you're all aware by now of Half-Life: Source. Basically it's a direct port of the original Half-Life to the brand new Source engine. Because of it being a direct port there won't be many differences between the two - aside from of course lighting, water and physics effects.[br]
[br]
This was a disappointment to some and so, their solution? To give it a complete overhaul themselves. One team to start doing this is headed by jheaddon and it all started right here in our forums. Here's some brilliant concept art of the Gargantua and Xen:[br]
[br]Some might be concerned of what the fate might be of someone trying to recreate a game that was, to some, near-perfect. However, here is what they plan to do:
The plan is to remake HL1 completely from scratch, rebuilding and improving on everything. Xen will be completely biomechanical and the other locations will be familiar but they'll be made more realistic. It wont be a simple change textures and models - every single bit of it will be remade to the best of Source's abilities.
Seems to me that this one will be worth following - especially if they stay as true as possible to the original.[br]
[br]
If you feel you have something to add to this mod you can apply here, or if you just want to follow its progress you can see this thread.

It strays to far from HL1

Xen isn't supposed to be all "biomechanical" like a high tech biological wasteland... it was more just strange and "organic" instead of large amounts of mechanical elements... i'd stick closer to that

also the new garg looks more like aliens... i would stay as close to the original as humanely possible ... just my .02

Alix Mcdean said:
My thoughts exactly.

-Alix

Ditto. When i first saw the pictures, i thought it was an Alien mod. :| think ill prefer the normal HL Source.

SimonomiS said:
Ditto. When i first saw the pictures, i thought it was an Alien mod. :| think ill prefer the normal HL Source.

That's what I thought. I kinda liked the idea of their aims (though a Star Wars style makeover might have been more appropriate) but it's a shame that "new and original direction" means the same as, "making it look like aliens."

oh noes! its biomechanical so it must be aliens

ffs some people make me laugh lol!

I hinestkly dont see the point, best of luck to them but what their doing imo isn't going to end up being HL. It'll be something else.

HL:S was only ever going to be an "oooooo" extra , at least as far as I am concerned. I mean we're waiting for HL2 not hl1 with bells and whistles oO

I think the mod is cool - taking Half Life into a new direction. I like the Giger feel of Xen.

Lay of the guy i say...wait till we see some proper ingame screenshots. I'm looking forward to this and it could turn out to be better than HL1 (original) if done properly.

I'd like to see HL1 with some slopes and realistic looking rockery. When i play HL1 all i think of is an overhead view of america's roads. Straight wall, cornered, straight wall. It just felt like everything they did they said "...oh dont forget the right angle on that sphere..." It does'nt look good. I know its an old game but it has alot of room for improvement now with todays technology.

The Dark Elf said:

The quake 4 leaked concept pics were biomechanical...but they didn't look like they dropped out of Gigers sketch book. This stuff does, and to be honest Giger has been done to death a thousand times over, it grew tired a long time back. If your going to make a mod, innovate not replicate. :|

I hope they do not alter it too much. But i was disappointed that not much of the visuals were redone. But by that description of it it will be done in about July 2006

The Dark Elf said:

It didn't look like Aliens 'cos it was biomechanical... it looked like Aliens 'cos it looked like Aliens

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, and it may change when they add a little colour to it but come on, stop laughing long enough to look at those pictures again. Good art, nice design, I can see it was done by someone tallented, but it's not original, and that's what they claim to be going for.

ir dont looks interesting cuz looks too diferent of HL1

Why does it matter how xen looks, most of you people hated the xen levels anyway. What's wrong with a change in something you didn't like to begin with?

I don't see a problem with it.
People always scream giger anytime anything with aliens is done in black anyway. Though I do see some resemblences here, I like it. Giger does good work, I don't think it's wrong to base it off that (if that is the case). Also, Xen was a very small (and not very fun) part of the game, so I wouldn't fret over it kids :p

Well, after playing Half-life about 6 times through, id say I dont get the feeling from the displayed art that Half-life gave/gives me. Maybe its a lack of the true understanding of the mod, but I think, however stupid this may sound, I would just like a retextured, updated models, Half-Life. Like, go through the game and add dynamic stuff to rooms, maybe boxes. Make pipes more complex. Keep lights where they are, but make them better. I dont really care for something that would totally revamp it, like organic Xen to biomech Xen, just like 0+1=1 to (((80-79 x 1)/(60+31-(-(-10 x 9)))/((1+1)/(4/2))/1)) x 0)+1=1. Same thing, but delivered in a lot more complex looking package that looks better.

A complete but better replica would be nice.
But, in the end, an artists work will come out in anything, even if it's a copy.

I'm not sure there would be much point in doing an exact copy. Add a little something this time around, or take something away maybe. We've experienced the first one already, maybe it's time for something a little different. I say, take a few liberties, since you are taking the time to do it. While the rest of whine about how it's being done, instead of doing it ourselves.

hmm.. well from a mod team stand point, it makes sense to redo HL:Source and add in ur own creativity along the way.
afterall theres no point in redoing HL:Source with just updated textures and such.

hmm.. i wonder if this mod team is considering having a Co-op mode.. i would be so much more interested if that were the case.

Shorewalker said:
Well, after playing Half-life about 6 times through, id say I dont get the feeling from the displayed art that Half-life gave/gives me. Maybe its a lack of the true understanding of the mod, but I think, however stupid this may sound, I would just like a retextured, updated models, Half-Life. Like, go through the game and add dynamic stuff to rooms, maybe boxes. Make pipes more complex. Keep lights where they are, but make them better. I dont really care for something that would totally revamp it, like organic Xen to biomech Xen, just like 0+1=1 to (((80-79 x 1)/(60+31-(-(-10 x 9)))/((1+1)/(4/2))/1)) x 0)+1=1. Same thing, but delivered in a lot more complex looking package that looks better.

I completely 100% agree. That's all that I would need to satisfy my updated HL:S need.

Dr. Freeman said:
hmm.. well from a mod team stand point, it makes sense to redo HL:Source and add in ur own creativity along the way.
afterall theres no point in redoing HL:Source with just updated textures and such.

hmm.. i wonder if this mod team is considering having a Co-op mode.. i would be so much more interested if that were the case.
Most likely, since co-op seems popular

-

As for the comments about Xen from people.. The majority never liked Xen in its original form.. Saying biomechanical is too different from Xen though.. well, it was the same style, different color scheme and this time made to work better. HL1 had tight limits on how things could look, I'd suggest waiting and seeing how it looks in game before passing judgement over some concept art.

The Combine are a variation on biomechanical.. so I hope those who don't like it wont be too annoyed to find that out in a week or so ;(

I think anyone trying to make a mod deserves a chance, if its crap, then fine.. flame away.. but it might be cracking.. & it will be free!! how can anyone moan when its free??? pfft

wibblemonster said:
I think anyone trying to make a mod deserves a chance, if its crap, then fine.. flame away.. but it might be cracking.. & it will be free!! how can anyone moan when its free??? pfft
lol good point :)

wibblemonster said:

Exactly, you guys completely trash it from three concept art pictures and a description. If you don't like it when it comes out, don't play it, your not going to be forced to, or make a better one for yourself.

Personally I can't wait to see what it will turn out like, the revamped Gargantua in full source could be great!

The Dark Elf said:
Most likely, since co-op seems popular

well we have seen that mods with Co-op mode are few and far between...so from that stand point, theres no given if any mod will have the Co-op feature.. but personally speaking.. the last time i played Co-op was back in the Quake2 days.. and frankly put, Co-op would be something i would welcome with open arms.

i just hope mod teams keep it in mind when working on their mods.

Dr. Freeman said:
well we have seen that mods with Co-op mode are few and far between...so from that stand point, theres no given if any mod will have the Co-op feature.. but personally speaking.. the last time i played Co-op was back in the Quake2 days.. and frankly put, Co-op would be something i would welcome with open arms.

i just hope mod teams keep it in mind when working on their mods.
Well something they could do on this mod would be to make Op4 as part of it, only co-op.

Really its just the same locations, different things happening, could build all the places you'll get to see, and do an AvP style race selection at the start, Gordon, Barney, Shepard.. then MP modes with co-op having black ops, marines or a more stealth version based on being a scientist or someone.

Lots of things could be done with it that I'm sure Valve would have done years ago if today's technology was around back then.

As previously posted, keep judgement until we actually release some content..

We will be continually updating the website (release soon) with news and images, along with the design document, this is so that people can post their concerns or views on subjects we cover (or in cases, don't).

The Xen concepts were something Dark Elf created, Xen may or may not turn out as they depict, remember they are just his visions of Xen, although they are very intriguing.

The Dark Elf said:

I was thinking the same thing. Come on people. You seriously don't want to change right? That could be dangerous.

The concept art looks great. Can't wait to see more.

I think a new Xen would be great, storyline isn't being changed, locations still exist, just things will be changed for the better. Black Mesa will be the same, only bigger, longer and uncut.. as they say :)

I've faith in the mod, im sure they'll do a good job.

Cheers TDE :)

Alot of care will be taken on the design so that the game feel isn't lost, hence the design document.

Which will be up and running soon, just looking for some hosting actually :)

Hey but will this be a mod for hl:s or Hl2.
What I mean is will the poeple who have the bronze pakage be able to play it, or only people with silver or gold, cause there are a lot of who don't have a cc and are buying the ordinary retail version.

It'll be a freemodification for HL2, just a fix-er-up, or what HL:S should have been had Valve had the time.

Don't worry everyone with a Steam account will be able to play the game.

Zeus said:
Why does it matter how xen looks, most of you people hated the xen levels anyway. What's wrong with a change in something you didn't like to begin with?

I liked Xen cuz looks very original and I sont want it diferent

I have no problem with the art, but why don't you guys make something original, instead of remaking HL? I've played the original to death, as has probably everyone on this board. If you are going to remake it, you should completely redo the levels so that they aren't even vaguely similar to the original (as Doom 3 did with the original Doom, albiet with mixed success).

The Dark Elf said:
Well something they could do on this mod would be to make Op4 as part of it, only co-op.

Really its just the same locations, different things happening, could build all the places you'll get to see, and do an AvP style race selection at the start, Gordon, Barney, Shepard.. then MP modes with co-op having black ops, marines or a more stealth version based on being a scientist or someone.

Lots of things could be done with it that I'm sure Valve would have done years ago if today's technology was around back then.
One of the ideas back in the day :)

Nice to see others thought it :D

an new twist on something most of us know very well.
its kind of like converting a book to a movie. When the director wants to change a little bit of the characters or put more emphasis on something that wasnt a turning point in the book.
i think its HL but with a different perspective.
this mod looks good imo

Zeus said:
Wait this is going to be free right?
Yup, definately will be free.. if its not then I want paying for the concepts I've done, even if they aren't used

*sets Icarus onto the mod* :p

Back