HL2 copy protection

john121

Reaction score
this is not a "i don't like the copy protection" thread at all. Firstly, I think it's a great idea! how many people who have the machine to run HL2 doesn't have a net connection? How many couldn't just grab an AOL free trial disk from wal-mart and use that? I've heard of some other copy-protection measures, such as Farcry wwhich requires no CD copying software on you HD. I can't confirm this because i've never installed or bought the game, but I believe it's on the box. I do agree there should be copy protection, and CD-keys are a joke. Let's be honest, if you typed in "HL cd key" into google, some CD keys will pop up. (i'm sure gabe has done this before and it's why he chose the internet as a copy-protection, i'd do the same thing) I'm sure that there are a few hundred people who have bought a great machine, and don't have the need or want of the internet, and that would be a problem, but that's not a lot of people. That's like baking 1 thousand chocolate chip cookies and not giving them out because 3 people can't have chocolate. Yes, those 3 will be upset, but it's better than having close to a thousand upset people with no cookies.

Yes, i'm sure people will be on this forum, saying i'm wrong... but let's ask them this: how did they post a reply without connecting to the internet?

Yes, i'm sure people will be on this forum, saying i'm wrong... but let's ask them this: how did they post a reply without connecting to the internet?

Internet cafes, libraries, school networks, friend/relative's house...

KagePrototype said:

you can use those places to register and bind your steam account

john121 said:
hehe i like that bit.
It is a good idea but im sure the warez sinners will find a way to play without using steam at all so wont need to register. it will happen :sleep:

The problem with that is that your account isn't activated on your computer. Unless you could copy the user files over and turn it on with a file. Of course, there are problems with that method as it allows for someone to activate HL2 without actually buying it.

In conclusion, get the intarw3b.

KagePrototype said:
Not very secure authentication then. :|

Its all done through the steam app... as long as there's no keylogger, you're fine, also... once bound, the cd-key would be useless to someone else with a keylogger.

KagePrototype said:

like i said, connect to the internet.. i never said it had to be at their house... right now i'm posting this at my college, not my house.

as for those hl cd keys in google, go try them on steam, i bet 99.99% of them do not work.

im sure you will need to be on the computer u plan on using HL2 on when activating your copy...

john121 said:
this is not a "i don't like the copy protection" thread at all. Firstly, I think it's a great idea! how many people who have the machine to run HL2 doesn't have a net connection? How many couldn't just grab an AOL free trial disk from wal-mart and use that? I've heard of some other copy-protection measures, such as Farcry wwhich requires no CD copying software on you HD. I can't confirm this because i've never installed or bought the game, but I believe it's on the box. I do agree there should be copy protection, and CD-keys are a joke. Let's be honest, if you typed in "HL cd key" into google, some CD keys will pop up. (i'm sure gabe has done this before and it's why he chose the internet as a copy-protection, i'd do the same thing) I'm sure that there are a few hundred people who have bought a great machine, and don't have the need or want of the internet, and that would be a problem, but that's not a lot of people. That's like baking 1 thousand chocolate chip cookies and not giving them out because 3 people can't have chocolate. Yes, those 3 will be upset, but it's better than having close to a thousand upset people with no cookies.

Finally, a voice of reason!

KagePrototype said:
Not very secure authentication then. :|
The CD key is associated with your account, so you can only play when you login with that account.

bliink said:
nope

6char
Proof?

How do you suggest steam logs in then? You need to do this at least once b4 you can log into steam in offline mode on the chosen computer.

steam fixes the cdkey issue mostly as you can't really steal a cdkey as u need the username and pass too.

I'd place twenty bucks that Hl2 will be cracked even before it's officially released.

Warezers (who generally have internet connections) will download cracked copies for free. Legitimate customers who might not have a connection won't get to play.

Although I've excepted the fact that it's going to be there, no one has yet to tell me HOW internet authentication stops piracy.

Well, has anyone thought valve might ship HL2 will a little dialer program, that will allow a small dialup to just authenticate?? it would be a good idea, just a thought!

jesus christ this myust be the 100th time i am saying this, dont you people ever think at all? if he auths it through another computer and goes home to his computer that isnt connected tot he internet, how will the hl2 CD (which cant be written to) know that he authed it already? it wont because it cant connect to the internet to find out! so itll still ask him to auth it jesus ****ing christ you guys wake up god damn

DavE0r said:
Well, has anyone thought valve might ship HL2 will a little dialer program, that will allow a small dialup to just authenticate?? it would be a good idea, just a thought!

thent hat wouldnt technically be connecting to the internet, and valve has already stated youw ill need to connect to the internet at least ocne to auth

It seems a little crappy to force people to buy a modem and pay for 5 minutes of a 56k connection just to authorize the game they BOUGHT LEGALLY so that they can play it. There should be an alternative system...hell, a USB dongle keyed to the CD key would be a better solution for some people. Perhaps such a device could be provided to those who don't want to have to connect to the net?

Of course, we all know what is going to happen to solve this problem. The person without internet access will go to an internet cafe or his buddy's house with a blank CD. He will download the HL2 crack which will become available immediately upon release. He will crack his LEGALLY OBTAINED copy of HL2, and he will play it.

Actually, I crack most games I buy, just because I hate having to keep track of 30-odd CDs that I need to insert to avoid the copy protection (no, I'm not going to tell you where to get cracks, so don't ask). This is, so far as I'm concerned, a perfectly legitimate way of using the software I have purchased. I don't support piracy, but I also don't support companies fighting piracy at the cost of my convenience. Hell, I'm sure soft of you remember the Neverwinter Nights/Unreal 2 issues with copy protection that crashed the game over and over again, but which magically went away if you cracked them. Intrusive copy protection measures force people to go looking for cracks.

Personally, I like the HL2 copy protection, because it means I won't have to keep track of the HL2 disc. Since I use the same Steam account on my desktop and laptop, I should be able to play on both of them (but not simultaneously) once I've got it installed and registered, the same way I do with Half-life...right? I will be able to install the software on multiple computers like I can with every other game I've ever purchased...right?

If not, I foresee some changes I will have to make.

It isn't new... Didn't Id use this type of protection for Quake 3 Arena?

Of course, HL2 isn't meant to be played online, but it's an effective copy protection nonetheless... I'm sure more companies would do it, but most companies don't have a system similar to steam...

the only point to bitch about is people who haven't registered yet get "a steam account shoved down their throat". As the dubious quality guy has put it..

It isn't even good copy protection. I mean, the only thing it stops you doing is playing online with two difference machines at once.

Not really very important for a single player game.

(And by the way, I'm typing this because I'm at my parents house for a weekend, I have no net access in my flat. And that's not because I haven't tried to get it.)

Until last month, I wasn't going to be able to play HL2 because I don't have a modem and I cancelled my cable internet 6 months ago in protest for the raised rates they were trying to cram down my face.

I have internet at work (where I'm at), so i was fine.

and then i realized that I would have to take my computer from home one weekend and bring it to the office if I wanted to activate HL2.

which is stupid.

Then I got married and the wife insisted we get internet. So we got DSL, which is actually, shockingly, just like Cable, only cheaper.

and with a phone line instead of a cable line.

So anyway, I can seriously see how some people will be major POed when they get their copy of HL2 at WalMart and can't play it. My brother has a machine out in the woods where he can't get DSL or cable, and they aren't willing to actually PAY for dialup...He also has internet at work...I wonder how he's going to activate HL2...It would be nice if they had a direct-dial activation method. Even AOL has that...you can connect via a terminal window...

As far as I'm concerned, it's a needless inconvenience that's not going to stop piracy anyway. I mean steam authentication doesn't work at all now, so I doubt it will when Hl2 comes out.

john121 said:

:rolleyes:

No, of course it won't affect me personally. That doesn't mean I can't care about it though. Also, the people on this forum represent only a tiny fraction of the people that will buy HL2.

Jeez..

[sarcasm]OMG noez..HL2 needs teh intarw3b!!?!?!?!

BLASHPEMY!?!?!![/sarcasm]

It's because of the damn pirates. Don't blame Valve...blame them. :|

False.

Copy protection does not hinder pirates. It prevents casual copying of games between users. It exists so that Billy can't bring his game over to Bobby's house and leave an install on Bobby's system without also leaving the game CD there.

Actually, assuming that you only have to register the game once thru steam and then don't have to connect ever again after that, this system won't stop the casual copying, because Billy just logs into steam on Bobby's system that one time to register, and then Bobby never connects to steam again.

Pirates, however, live for copy protection. If it weren't for copy protection, they wouldn't pirate games because there would be no challenge. Nothing to crack, you see. And the reason they do it is for the bragging rights.

This is a case of 'the silent voice'. There is no other side to the argument available, because they're the ones who can't speak! The main place this form of authentication will be a problem is in other countries or rural communities, where internet connections are scarce.

I'm happy they're cracking down, and I think that's the important thing right now. Most people have access to a telephone, and can probably get a friend to punch their CD Key in for them if need be. It'll just require a little more creativity on their parts.

Dr. Awkward said:
False.

Copy protection does not hinder pirates. It prevents casual copying of games between users. It exists so that Billy can't bring his game over to Bobby's house and leave an install on Bobby's system without also leaving the game CD there.

Actually, assuming that you only have to register the game once thru steam and then don't have to connect ever again after that, this system won't stop the casual copying, because Billy just logs into steam on Bobby's system that one time to register, and then Bobby never connects to steam again.

Pirates, however, live for copy protection. If it weren't for copy protection, they wouldn't pirate games because there would be no challenge. Nothing to crack, you see. And the reason they do it is for the bragging rights.

Quoted For Truth.

Dr. Awkward said:
Copy protection does not hinder pirates.
True. The only point to having the online verification is to prevent HL2 from being leaked ahead of schedual. That is the ONLY thing it is good for.
Not true. First, while release groups are the kings of pirates, pirates are generally the people who just want to play the game. But thats just semantics. Second, the real point, check out the Xbox scene. Theres no copy protection at all there anymore, but groups still scramble to be the first to get a game out.

Actually, if i had a million pirated copies on my computer that wouldnt make me a pirate,
a pirate and a cracker are the only 2 people that can be prosecuted
a pirate being someone who -=SELLS=- illegal copies for PROFIT
a cracker someone who reverse engineers software in order to crack it
anyone downloading off an unhidden source (ie warez sites) cannot be prosecuted, in the same way that unknowingly buying stolen goods cannot be prosecuted, unless it can be proven that you KNEW it was stolen - and there arent any "this software is illegal/stolen" signs on warez sites

Umm... Just a question, that I didnt want to start a new thread and search gives like 200 results:
How can I install Half-Life 2 into two computers without buying two copies? Do I just use the same account, and simply logout on the computer im not using? Is it that simple?

john121 said:

I agree, nice post.

Cukel said:
How can I install Half-Life 2 into two computers without buying two copies? Do I just use the same account, and simply logout on the computer im not using? Is it that simple?
Yes...

The only one's who will have problem are the legitimate buyers when steam goes tits up and they cant DL anything or they had to do a format and they cant get on to steam because its down or their connection is down or steam keeps crashing..............everybody else will either be playing their cracked or warez copy.........

john121 said:

Well won't work here. Personally I've never seen a AOL disc.
On the other hand, allmost everybody got DSL, so I guess it will work... Ah just saying things.

Half-Life 2 is a SINGLE PLAYER game, so it's going to appeal even more to people without the internet. I bet there are gamers out there without internet access, who get sick of hearing about how great all these multiplayer games are... then suddenly, they read about HL2, "the greatest SINGLE PLAYER game ever created!!" They're going to let out a big "WOOHOO", go to the store, buy the game, come home, and find that they can't play it. How messed up is that? And don't say "they can find a way to authenticate, like buying pre-paid internet"... a user should not have to pay extra money on top of the cost of the game, when there is no need. Not only that, but there are many people who are relatively new to computers, who aren't as resourceful as some of us. They won't know what the hell to do.

Online authentication is all very well for multiplayer games, but when suddenly the internet is required for a single player game, there are going to be quite a few people who are either a) inconvenienced, b) unable to play the game, or c) likely to get a pirated\cracked version instead of retail.

Back