HL2 Flashlight in Action

The_Monkey said:
Nice flash light, bad Antlions.

Your opinion will change when you see it in motion - trust me!

Beautiful picture.

Excellent attention to detail in that room. A few tiles ripped of, grime and dirt , i love specular shiznit going on there. Very nice.

Mr-Fusion said:
Beautiful picture.

Excellent attention to detail in that room. A few tiles ripped of, grime and dirt , i love specular shiznit going on there. Very nice.

Yeah - ripped of tiles look good. The specular effects are snazzy!

and ryan, do you really love toilet seats that much?

WhiteBoy said:
I thought HL2 had dynamic lighting. Where is the shadow that should be prejected by the flash light?

I assume you mean dynamic shadows - and no HL2 doesn't have dynamic shadows, it still uses lightmaps.

Mr-Fusion said:
Beautiful picture.

Not going to tell you again about your sig Mr Fusion.

its quite funny watching you guys going on about bump mapping, dynamic range lighting etc. do you guys even have a clue what your talking about????

'no hl2 doesnt have dynamic shadows'...'oh yes it does..' ffs guys cmon. only talk about it if u know what your talking about. do research and read up on what HDRL and normal maps etc actually are. only then should u debate about this :)

and look at the toilet on the left. the way the lighting falls on it looks odd, and really spoil the attention to detail tbh (one wrong pixel in a scene can ruin any game in terms of graphics)

Edcrab said:
Still wonder where ol' Gordo actually keeps his torch. Wrist? Shoulder? Groinal socket?

I've always pictured the flashlight being some sort of built in accessory for his HEV suit but I've never really thought about where its positioned...

I think it's in the Lambda symbol in the middle of the HEV torso.

Yeah it's a cool pic that one. Reminds me of the Bugbait bink.

Murray_H said:
KEWL LUKS NEET

i love the tiles :D

agreed, the backgrounds general effects make it look very nice, the ant lions look a bit weird but in motion i'm sure you get a better idea.

Ahhh... its that time of the month again. A new screenshot is out and I'm slowly building up panic that HL2 will look crap with my graphics card.
Ain't life sweet?

Awesome screenshot btw.

AJ Rimmer said:
Ahhh... its that time of the month again. A new screenshot is out and I'm slowly building up panic that HL2 will look crap with my graphics card.
Ain't life sweet?

I'm kinda afraid that it wont work on my comp either, but I think it will, it's only 7 months old.

Woah, sweet normal mapping. And they are shiny, you just see it better on the shadowed parts of their bodies...

This game is going to look SWEET in motion on even the first version of "full detail"... I say "first version" 'cos it sounds like the goalposts are going to keep moving, what with the updates that'll be available from Steam, and all...

I don't like the new skin the Antlions have... uugh. Please... I have had enough of bump mapping/normal mapping.

The flashlight looks cool though.

someone asked where gordon keeps his flaslight, well it seems to be in his right arm in hev-suit

Attachments

• PCZone1.jpg
    PCZone1.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 437
mooma said:
someone asked where gordon keeps his flaslight, well it seems to be in his right arm in hev-suit

coolies :p

Hey, nice spotting mooma. That does look like his flashlight... I always assumed it was in the helmet...

Brian Damage said:
Hey, nice spotting mooma. That does look like his flashlight... I always assumed it was in the helmet...
?? what helmet .. where

Pureball said:
its quite funny watching you guys going on about bump mapping, dynamic range lighting etc. do you guys even have a clue what your talking about????

'no hl2 doesnt have dynamic shadows'...'oh yes it does..' ffs guys cmon. only talk about it if u know what your talking about. do research and read up on what HDRL and normal maps etc actually are. only then should u debate about this :)

and look at the toilet on the left. the way the lighting falls on it looks odd, and really spoil the attention to detail tbh (one wrong pixel in a scene can ruin any game in terms of graphics)

So a toilet where the lighting looks 'odd' (looks fine to me) ruins a scene for you? What a picky guy you are.

And yes, HL2 does have dynamic shadowing, but it sorta depends on what you define as 'dynamic'. Do the shadows change accordingly to the location of the lightsource? Yes they do.

PvtRyan said:
He takes it off when he poses for a picture.

Gordon doesn't wear a helmet..just the suit..

The new pics look awesome I can't wait to play it. :)

PvtRyan said:
Thank you, Captain Obvious!

;)

I might as well state the obvious, you never know when someone could learn something new :p

If that shiny thing on the floor is really HDR, that means Valve decided to keep the HDR after all yay!!! :)

crownest said:
If that shiny thing on the floor is really HDR, that means Valve decided to keep the HDR after all yay!!! :)

Pi already put a stop to that theory..

PvtRyan said:
He takes it off when he poses for a picture.
Which appearentely is rather often. But he does have it on through both games.

Awsome indeed. the game's graphics improved alot. :)

PvtRyan said:
So a toilet where the lighting looks 'odd' (looks fine to me) ruins a scene for you? What a picky guy you are.

And yes, HL2 does have dynamic shadowing, but it sorta depends on what you define as 'dynamic'. Do the shadows change accordingly to the location of the lightsource? Yes they do.

ok ok i worded that wrong. what i meant is that the pic looks like a frigging photo. and my point is that when you can play a game with the best graphics even iterporated (and that is a FACT with HL2), and then you see a single fault like the shading on the toilet, it spoils the whole 'phsycological' aspect of the game, graphics wise....if that makes any sense either :/ lol. thats why i feel if a game has gorgeous graphics and then you see a fault like that, it spoils the entire scene.

wow, cool shot. normal mapping does look very nice on the antlions. cant wait to play....

EVIL said:
?? what helmet .. where

Why, this one, of course.

You didn't think he ran through superheated steam, toxic waste, and all kinds of crap without the HEV's helmet on, did you :E ?

See, I always thought it shone out from behind the faceplate, or maybe that part of the head shielding was actually transparent, or something like that...

Attachments

• ghelmet2.jpg
    ghelmet2.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 417
Nice screanie. :)

I am despiratly trying NOT to get hyped... I have alot to do besides think about HL2.. :(

Still... very nice!

No way Gordon wears a helmet, every shot I've ever seen of Gordon he has no helmet on except for that one picture

He does wear a helmet, its the whole HEV suit, its just that it looks crap if you never see Gordon, its normally taken with the helmet removed, anyway, thats where the HUD comes from.

Gordon's badass ponytail will protect him against headshots, I mean, did you ever see a guy with a ponytail getting shot? PRECISELY!

Brian Damage said:
Why, this one, of course.

You didn't think he ran through superheated steam, toxic waste, and all kinds of crap without the HEV's helmet on, did you :E ?

See, I always thought it shone out from behind the faceplate, or maybe that part of the head shielding was actually transparent, or something like that...
That also explains the hud, with his health and HEV suit power level.
The only thing I don't understand is why a hazard suit for scientific purposes would have a system for arsenal inventory and gun control.

PvtRyan said:
Gordon's badass ponytail will protect him against headshots, I mean, did you ever see a guy with a ponytail getting shot? PRECISELY!
what about that guy from "The Renegade", he got shot

Back