HL2 Flashlight in Action

Half Life 2 Does Not Have Dynamic Shadows!11111111111111111111&/%/"%/"!!

sk1llfatal said:
Half Life 2 Does Not Have Dynamic Shadows!11111111111111111111&/%/"%/"!!

But the engine does support them. They're just not used in HL2.

Well even if it was i would turn it off cause it would probably lag up the game too much

a kid in hl2

Omg are my eyes decieving me here. Do I actualy see a kid in HL2????
ive never seen anyone this young in the game !!!!!!

flash lights slows down fps(frames per second) really..

i play far cry with the highest machine specs turned on runs perfect and then
when i use the flash light it slows down allot. will u use the flaslight in hl2 or not i like the dark. if you want to see the best fladhlight in a game see doom 3 video that was on the new pc gamer mag its by far the best looking i think.

I wish HL2 had dynamic shadows for dynamic lights (applying on models, physboxes, and map content) option. If it did then I would be perfectly content with HL2.

But now I am sad
:( :( :( :( :(
so very sad

Well I just pre-ordered doom3. So if i feel like playing a game with dynamic shadows ill play doom 3. if i feel like playing a game that is probably so perfectly crafted in every way ill play hl2.

i'm fine without Dynamic Shadows. Only Doom 3 will be able to pull of Dynamic Shadows perfectly. Every other game thats tried it (DX:IW and Splinter Cell 2) has either failed miserably (DX:IW) or had to turn down the resolution of the shadows (SC2). Far Cry did an alright job of it though. Although it wasn't really needed.

Methinks Pureball is too picky. Control yourself. Valve faked the screenshots? Eat Fresh shot that one down quite quickly.

jesus christ, HL1 was so f***ing good and it didnt have dynamic shadows. Im very confident HL2 will be amazing, even if it dosent have dynamic shadows. its not that big of a deal. the game will be good regardless of how it compares graphically to doom III. it just happens to look fantastic in my opinion, which is just a bonus. calm down.

I totally agree with you, Kaf11. I don't see why everyone is worrying, or even afraid of Doom 3 coming out first. Its not gonna change anything about how HL2 will play

Just to give my two sense - that screenshot singlehandedly restored my faith in HL2's graphical excellence. I was kind of worried after those crap screenshots in the spring. But now, man, now it just looks so beautiful. Was that really so hard Valve??? Release one good shot and faith is restored.

Sparta said:
I totally agree with you, Kaf11. I don't see why everyone is worrying, or even afraid of Doom 3 coming out first. Its not gonna change anything about how HL2 will play
exactly. i truely believe were about to play a game so good that it surpasses the graphical comparisons and last another 5 years, just like its predecessor.

Shuzer said:
http://home.comcast.net/~shuzer/hl2antlions.jpg

They look alot better when it's not so horribly discolored (hopefully, they didn't change the antlions to look like that)

This is modified (obviously). I think maybe the BLUE LIGHT has something to do with the color. They weren't green when I saw them in action. I think it's just a trick of the darkness and colored lighting. Note the part of the antlion that is in the middle of the light and perpendicular to the light source is yellow.

Jared

Eat Fresh said:
This is modified (obviously). I think maybe the BLUE LIGHT has something to do with the color. They weren't green when I saw them in action. I think it's just a trick of the darkness and colored lighting. Note the part of the antlion that is in the middle of the light and perpendicular to the light source is yellow.

Jared

Yeah, I jumped in photoshop and screwed with the hues a bit.. just trying to see if I could make it look better.
But yes, you're right, it appears to be because of the blue lighting

Wouldn't it be cool, if you could actually blind your enemies with the flashlight? Something similiar how Gordon gets photographed by this scanner in the E32004 video.
Maybe if you are low on ammo or so.
Imagine a combine standing near to an edge shooting you, you turn on your flashlight and blind him, he makes a step and falls down.

Silent- said:
the ant lions look ugly :[ with no Anti-Aliasing...

That's how they're going to look on your computer.

Anyway, jaggies aren't as apparent when something is in motion, and thoes things move fast. In the words of Arnold: "Stop Whining"

Jared

the antlions look like crap, however the room they are in is highly detailed...

Man those ant-lions look perfect.... so does the flashlight, and I didn't even notice the incredibly minor lighting faults untill you guys mentioned it :p

That's just the way things are. Some people seem to look for the minor imperfections instead of enjoying the overwhelming coolness.

genocide604 said:
the antlions look like crap, however the room they are in is highly detailed...

Look at the right lion carefully. Notice the bumpy texture on it's skin? looks weird? See it in motion when there is no specular then don't tell me "I'm sorry I ever doubted HL2 graphically".

The room is fanstastic!...I thought the tiles were flat textures as in Max payne 2 or in the bugbait video - I'm amazed that they're all actually normal-mapped just like in other games such as far cry or D3.

Also if you guys for a ****ing second stop looking at the shadows, you'll notice how the flashlight properly lights only the area, pointed from the right arm...the light is in the left direction, not centralised. You'll be seeing many rip-offs of this flashlight in arm idea of HL2 in other games - trust me.

Sauerkraut said:
shadows are very very important for the feeling...

Yes, and it was dynamic shadows that made Zelda: orcania of time one of the greatest games of our time.

In reply to SauerKraut

Only in Nighttime missions/games though

About the shadows, Valve can upgrade the graphics of HL2 at any time after release. In fact, they intend to do so as the Source engine will be used for Half-Life 3 which will probably compete with games running on the Unreal 3 engine.

If real-time, dynamic shadows are not included now, it is not becasue they were technically unable to. It is probably because many parts of the HL2 environment will include so many moving entities that fully dynamic shadows will be a drain on the performance.

As computing power improves, they can eventually add more realistic dynamic shadows for the same environments, but personally, I would rather have big environments with many entities now than tight quarters with realistic shadows. Far Cry has dynamic shadows in big environments, but the big environments do not have many moving and/or interactive entities.

alan8325 said:
About the shadows, Valve can upgrade the graphics of HL2 at any time after release. In fact, they intend to do so as the Source engine will be used for Half-Life 3 which will probably compete with games running on the Unreal 3 engine.

If real-time, dynamic shadows are not included now, it is not becasue they were technically unable to. It is probably because many parts of the HL2 environment will include so many moving entities that fully dynamic shadows will be a drain on the performance.

As computing power improves, they can eventually add more realistic dynamic shadows for the same environments, but personally, I would rather have big environments with many entities now than tight quarters with realistic shadows. Far Cry has dynamic shadows in big environments, but the big environments do not have many moving and/or interactive entities.
agree! but in fact i would welcome the OPTION to switch on dynamic shadows for people with better hardware!

Silent- said:
the ant lions look ugly :[ with no Anti-Aliasing...
From the looks of it 2x Anti-Aliasing was used for that shot (assuming it was captured at 1280*960/1024).

Abom said:
From the looks of it 2x Anti-Aliasing was used for that shot (assuming it was captured at 1280*960/1024).
It was captured at 1280x720 dude. Widescreen monitor. Look closely at the jaggies, no AA was used.

Jared

Eat Fresh said:
It was captured at 1280x720 dude. Widescreen monitor. Look closely at the jaggies, no AA was used.

Jared
Aliasing is still present when 2 samples of Anti-Aliasing are used at a resolution like that, I definitely think they have 2x on.

Back