HL2 Flashlight in Action

Fine, no AA, but I really wish Valve would start using it in their media.

Sauerkraut said:
they dont wanna hype the graphics...
They could hype the graphics, gameplay and story quite easily together. Deciding to decrease the appeal of one of these aspects really isn't good publicity, since many people will be buying the game for the graphics alone (fools that they are). Creating an engine capable of producing such visual quality, then making a game from it and deciding to not show it at its best is a huge waste.

Sparta said:
But the graphics are good ;(

Don't worry, reading that awesome gamespot article, I know that half-life's screenshots were always crap, it was the movies and actual game that amazed beyond belief. History is definately repeating itself.

You know...

Oh hell I can't even be bothered..

I ain't going to be getting no microscope out in game to check for AA.

Tbh I have never used the AA settings on any game, because I just don't think it matters when you are moving around, the motion makes up for the jaggies.

And yes my computer can handle high AA settings ;)

Cybernoid said:
Well, I can't really see much of a difference.

Askeat fresh, he saw it in action and even from the screen the prunumbra and umbra have a black circle in-between them is clearly visible.

Sauerkraut said:
agree! but in fact i would welcome the OPTION to switch on dynamic shadows for people with better hardware!

That's definitely what they should do. I think we'd all be somewhat disappointed if they made all these cuts.

They should ship it with best-quality graphics, and then give you the option to downgrade them, rather than the other way around.

If they just put in some dynamic shadows, that screenshot would be totally perfect.

yadalogo said:
Omg are my eyes decieving me here. Do I actualy see a kid in HL2????
ive never seen anyone this young in the game !!!!!!

And the kid is standing next to Chewbacca to boot! :p

I don't think anyone has the defined Eagle eye to see pixelated screens that close. If your computer can run HL2 at 1280xWhatever the hell you want I don't think you need to worry about AA. Everything looks better in motion.

rather than playing with such a high reso i would play on 1024x768 with nice AA

I've killed men who whined less than you crybabies.

"OMG THE SHADOWZ AREN'T COMPLETELY DYNAMIC!!! OMG THE ANTILONS LOOK LIKE ASS!!!! OMG LOL LOL IT DOESN'T USE BLEEDING DGE DX9 STUFF THAT'S ONLY ON CARDS OVER $400!! PWNED N00BS!!!!11111ONE"

Wait until the game comes out and you see it FOR REAL, IN MOTION, with your own video card, before you spout off.

GorgeousOrifice said:

"OMG THE SHADOWZ AREN'T COMPLETELY DYNAMIC!!! OMG THE ANTILONS LOOK LIKE ASS!!!! OMG LOL LOL IT DOESN'T USE BLEEDING DGE DX9 STUFF THAT'S ONLY ON CARDS OVER $400!! PWNED N00BS!!!!11111ONE"

Wait until the game comes out and you see it FOR REAL, IN MOTION, with your own video card, before you spout off.

touchet, gorgeous

GorgeousOrifice said:

Well said, this man deserves a noble peace prize.

lans said:
Well said, this man deserves a noble peace prize.

yeh, :rolleyes: , people are still entitled to their opinons whatever they have to say.

edit: hes killed men...? :eek: , :x just a figure of speech?

GorgeousOrifice said:

well, y did i pay 400? when the newest games don't use the technology?

pixartist said:
well, y did i pay 400? when the newest games don't use the technology?

You can probably crank up the FSAA and AS more than most people... get a prettier experience and all...

The main thing: I don't think you'll be complaining when the game comes out.

Jared

It's probably just a direct X 8 screenshot, remember Gabe said the level designers are forced to work with a ti4600, so prolly Gary McTaggart was using that? maybe that's why we see no dynamic shadows?

yes yes, I know who I'm fooling...HL2 won't have dynamic shadows, most prolly.

Just take those antlions out of the screen a moment mentally... if I didn't start zooming in to find every flaw I could say that was a photograph.

Only the fact you have 4 foot high insects makes it look unrealistic :p

lans said:
It's probably just a direct X 8 screenshot, remember Gabe said the level designers are forced to work with a ti4600, so prolly Gary McTaggart was using that? maybe that's why we see no dynamic shadows?

yes yes, I know who I'm fooling...HL2 won't have dynamic shadows, most prolly.

Yeah, I can pretty much guarantee that it's dx9. Gary is the graphics guy, not a level designer. His video card is an x800 and he has one of thoes huge apple widescreen monitors.

Jared

Eat Fresh said:
Yeah, I can pretty much guarantee that it's dx9. Gary is the graphics guy, not a level designer. His video card is an x800 and he has one of thoes huge apple widescreen monitors.

Jared

Yeah, but he e-mailed you the screenshot later, so for all we could know it may have been on Direct X 8 hardware, as you weren't present when he was taking the screenie. ;)

Back