HL2 Multiplayer

oldfaq

Reaction score
CS: Source will be the only multiplayer available at the release of HL2. This does not mean that there will be no HL2 DM.

Thank you for your question.

email I recieved after I emailed Valve ;) enjoy, it has braught faith to me! lol
Oldfaq

who did you ask it from ?
if this is real ,then freaking good news :cheers:
(unless they think that the mod community will do the dm :x)

I think they will add HL2 DM in an steam update. But we really can't be sure until the time comes.

If it was from valve, post in the received info thread ;)

I think DM will be added later on. That's the magic of Valve. They like updating. And updating is always exiting :) I can't wait to see the "OMG! Another update. Still No HL2DM. OMFG VAlvE Sux0RZ!!!11"

Ah. Now that's the true beauty of the Steampowered forums.

I guess we won't be seeing so many of those threads here in the paradise of forums, halflife2.net.

oldfaq said:
email I recieved after I emailed Valve ;) enjoy, it has braught faith to me! lol
Oldfaq

ehmm..... i have never seen valve answering a question with "thank you for the question" in the end.

as someone said, "post headers and other information about the email message", so that we can se if your speaking the truth, just to be sure. :farmer:

i do however belive that valve will make a hl2 dm after the release, even if your statement is fake.
:cheers: :bounce: :cheers:

I emailed Gabe about HL2:MP and got a reply! Just when all my hopes were gone!

Don't trust any other sources.

Gabe

Received: (Mozilla Mail 2.4); 30 Sep 2004 20:49:05 -0000
Received: from mail.aarpr.gethosting.net (122.26.22.156)
by 0 with SMTP; 30 Sep 2004 20:49:05 -0000
Reply-To: <[email protected]>
To: "Gabe Newell" <[email protected]>
Subject: Multiplayer Rumours!
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 16:49:04 -0400

Gabe, in light of the recent posting on several community sites regarding the review of HL2, I must ask whether the statement that CS:S is the ONLY Multiplayer option that will be included in the shipping package of HL2 is true. What about HLDM:S?

I mean, this question has been debated for months online and there are many hopeful fans out there who are now crushed beyond belief. Don't you have anything to say to try and clear this up for good?

-Homer

Homercidal said:
there are many hopeful fans out there who are now crushed beyond belief.
oh im crushed far beyond bielife, one of the main resons im buying this game is t play with the manipulator in multiplayer

so I guess this means, there is a big chance there IS indeed a HL2 THEMED MP, not necessarely DM...

omg gabe just said dont trust any other sources than official reviews (e.g retards on HL2.net) and u guys turn it into ther is a HL2 themed MP.

several times ive seen people completely misinterperate statements from valve to suit their own imagination. its getting annoying plz stop.

I think he ment: "dont trust anyone else but us" :p

LOL - as usual, we get a very cryptic Gabe message and everyone makes their own interpretations. I really have no idea what he meant - and he deliberately intended it to be so.

Everyone just take a chill pill and wait until the gold/release ok?

SFLUFAN said:
LOL - as usual, we get a very cryptic Gabe message and everyone makes their own interpretations. I really have no idea what he meant - and he deliberately intended it to be so.

I'm already confused by this thread. :|

It just looks like he didn't want to confirm the lack of a HL2 themed MP...

What if it was co-op hl2

:O
:
: <- drool

Bah, who am I kidding.

Since Valve seems to be relying so heavily on the mod community to make MP for them, does that mean they've granted the modmakers rights to use HL2 characters and weapons and maps in a free distro? They must, right?

there should be a mod with a sport where you have a team and every player has a manipulator and u have to pass to your teammates and score in a net like football (proper football, not that american nonsense) :D

Gossoon said:
Since Valve seems to be relying so heavily on the mod community to make MP for them, does that mean they've granted the modmakers rights to use HL2 characters and weapons and maps in a free distro? They must, right?

you may have a good point there. I was wondering along those lines.... if there was no hl2dm why wait so long to let the mod makers know? Why wait until the game is possibly close to being released? As someone else stated earlier I really dont see cs:s as that hl2 multiplayer hidden secret/surprise. anyone know if op4 source is possibly?

op4:source ryhmes so valve will mod it... valve do things like that

I don't know why but I still have a little bit of hope that there is some other type of multiplayer than CS:S coming with HL2.

At this point, its basically unfounded hope given the official reviews we've seen but like we've all been saying these last several days, it all still doesn't add up.

Honestly though, I'm still way excited to play HL2 and CS:S even if there is no other MP option for the time being in light of the new screenshots out there. The game will still impress us all. So either way, I'm pumped up for this game! :cheers:

geowa said:
op4:source ryhmes so valve will mod it... valve do things like that
Thanks, that gave me a good laugh ;)

Ontopic: I really hope that a Mod team is already working on it for a couple of months but it isn't finished now.

WHat I'm currently speculating is that right around the release of the game at least half a dozen mods will also be released, having been developed in secret with the help of Valve. This takes the pressure off Valve to make a full-fledged MP, but also ensures that we get multiple options at release. The review copies don't have this because they will only be released via Steam not on the disc. I think this sets a bad precedent development-wise, but at least we'll have a variety of MPs quite soon that will be of high quality because of their close work with Valve.

Gossoon said:
No. In order to play any HL2 mod, you need HL2. The mod will just have pointers to HL2 resources.

f|uke said:
No. In order to play any HL2 mod, you need HL2. So mod makers do not need to distribute the models/weapons,. as we'll already have them. The mod will just have pointers to HL2 resources.

That's not what I meant. I meant they will allow modders to distribute on the Steam network their copyrighted property, ie using models from the SP, not ones created by a mod team.

Gossoon said:
That's not what I meant. I meant they will allow modders to distribute on the Steam network their copyrighted property, ie using models from the SP, not ones created by a mod team.
.. they wont have to distribute the SP models. We'll already have them.

KagePrototype said:
If Valve release a multiplayer patch of some sort, that would be great. :)

Well, they've done it before. With TFC and Ricochet.

Although Gabe could've been hinting that Mod makers will do it. If it's true then take that PC Gameplay. Mr "I judge games on what they don't have".

Haha, that reply from Gabe didn't answer any of his questions...

All we need is confirmation and clarification :D

well it seems that there definitely is a surprise coming after all, one that even the magazines didn't get to hear when they were reviewing, otherwise it would have leaked out already.

Uh, you guys do realize that the email I posted was one that I created and NOT from Gabe? It was just a sample to show how easy it is fake an email. That is why moderators contact the source before posting that stuff.

Sorry if I mislead any, I posted just before that explaining that I could fake an email and assumed you would catch on right away.

Believe you me, I'm as disappointed in the lack of MP as much as anyone.

Once again, I apologize.

Homercidal said:
Uh, you guys do realize that the email I posted was one that I created and NOT from Gabe? It was just a sample to show how easy it is fake an email. That is why moderators contact the source before posting that stuff.

Sorry if I mislead any, I posted just before that explaining that I could fake an email and assumed you would catch on right away.

Believe you me, I'm as disappointed in the lack of MP as much as anyone.

Once again, I apologize.
Ahhh... damn you! :p I didn't realize...

Anyway, get an avatar! That way I'd know it was the same person!

Back