HL2 on Hard completed with 0 total damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
:Rex Saw: said:
WHat does saving and reloading mean?

You just reloaded a part right before you took a hit of damage?

This thread is absolutely stupid. You obviously did not play the game through, like a NORMAL person, on hard, killing all bad guys and not skipping parts and not taking one point of damage.

Explain saving and reloading.

As it sounds, I didn't just start, and do the whole thing in one run, I wish I could edit the first post to clarify that. I got through the entire game, killing the majority of the enemies, and playing all locations. What I did what save quite often, and if I took a single point of damage anywhere, I reloaded, and tried the section again.

6iXx said:
So, how did you get past the metro cops with the stun sticks, the ones that knock you out?

:p

They do knock you out, but don't seem to do any damage. Not that it matters much, because you don't even have the suit at that point. I prefer to think that they incapacitate without doing any harm.

Amorphous said:
I just wanna know how you did Entanglement, especially with the insane amount of enemies that spawn while you defend your turrets, and the part right before you go into Nova Prospekt with the two gunships.

These got interesting. Mostly its good layout, and a bit of maintience. The first one, you have 2 turrets. I set mine overlooking the stairs with a small amount of buffer. After that its saving, loading, and defending agianst a few grenades.

I also carry ALL turrets forward with me through the entire section, so at the second place, I have 5, and at the finale I have 8. That helps imensely.

The second one got difficult, because of the grenades, and the manhacks. Those suckers take down turrets fast. My layout had 2 overlooking the area on the upper balconies, with 3 downstairs defending. I had to play 'cleanup' a couple of times, but it worked out in the end.

And as you might imagine, with 8 turrets and plenty of time to place them, the teleporter sceene worked out pretty nicely :) I had to reset a couple turrets, but thats about it.

im going through on hard and not dying......:)

make an avi i wanna see but i don't got hl2 yet! (ps cant wait till xmas)

wow, I hard trouble not dying, let alone taking any damage in most of those sequences

It doesn't surprise me, so I believe you. :) If you do parts over and over again you can beat them without taking damage.

How did you get past this:
d2_coast_010003.jpg

FFS RCP. (Read. Comprehend. POST.)

He already said that there was a ledge or something which he used to cross...

eediot said:
Wow. Everybody, shut the f--k up. God, you're acting like 2 year olds. Personally, I believe him. Either way, it doesn't really matter. It's something I found pretty cool, that you can potentially play the entire game through without losing a single bit of health, and he went and did it. Some might find it interesting, some don't. If you don't, just f--k off and go back to your crappy cs:s mapping, because your lame ass retorts aren't wanted here. Wow, you're cool, acting like a big man on the internet.

Just shut up.

kelerain, kudos for the effort you put into it. How'd you get onto the ground in the buggy bit without losing health?

To me, people who tell someone to shut the **** up are more annoying than the actual person that is causing the problems.

Congrats. That's an awesome achievement, and I would be proud of it.

You'll see the coast tricks in my next run. You can literally skip the ENTIRE crane area and the big gap afterwards by climbing up a wall. It's like VALVe put a special path there just for us runners. It's not even hard to do, it's just out of the way and blends in well.

And for those of you interested in GoldenEye runs...lol. Check my sig.

FFS RCP. (Read. Comprehend. POST.)

He already said that there was a ledge or something which he used to cross...
STFU, newb. You obviously didn't do much reading or comprehending before posting.

I wouldn't be too proud of the feat, as it just implies that you have too much time on your hands, as that is the only resource required to do this.
A quick finger on the F6 and F7 keys could be useful, too.

kelerain said:
I was quite sad when the water section at the end forced me to leave [dog's ball] behind.

You can actually get it past there if you keep it right up near the surface. I've managed to get it to the beginning of nova prospekt, but the antlions will attack the ball rather than what I tell them to, they'll all swarm the ball so I can't get at it, and they'll all get in my way if I try and carry the ball anywhere. Someone managed to get it to anticitizen one apparently, so I'm sure I'll make it through with enough persistance.

LOL, that's pretty funny about Dog's ball. I guess you'd have to finally give it up when you need to take the floating tour of the Citadel.

Nice

The hardest part for me was that part before nova prospekt when you had 2 gunships on you and damn ants dragging the fire to you. Maybe there is a trick to that spot but I died multiple times trying to get thru it, let alone not take a hit.

btw what is a gravity jump I keep hearing about?

Amorphous said:
I just wanna know how you did Entanglement, especially with the insane amount of enemies that spawn while you defend your turrets, and the part right before you go into Nova Prospekt with the two gunships.

i forgot about this. I couldnt do the second defending bit on medium, i kept dying. I would like to see a demo of just this bit, if thats possible.

unless you justfound where the enemies spawned and then killed them instantly, but that would take ages!

Zenrazor said:
The hardest part for me was that part before nova prospekt when you had 2 gunships on you and damn ants dragging the fire to you. Maybe there is a trick to that spot but I died multiple times trying to get thru it, let alone not take a hit.

Gravity jump is standing on a physics enabled object (Trashcan lid for example) and firing the Physcannon (Manipulator/Zero Point Energy whatchamathingie). You might have to jump too - honestly haven't tried it yet but seen it in the speed-demos some people are making.

kelerain said:
I was quite sad when the water section at the end forced me to leave it behind.

Actually, you can get it through the water:
Throws a barrel or two down in the water, so you can land on them without touching the water. Then get in the water while holding the ball as close to the ceiling (or whaterver) as possible. It only explodes if it goes too deep (2 or 3 feet or so).
EDIT: Watch out for the tentacle! Don't let dog's ball touch it, the game crashes if it does!!

I'm taking dog's ball with me too. Currently I'm at the gunship-at-the-cliff-part ( with all the cars on the road). Dog's ball sticks to the buggy too like a rollermine, and shocks you out of direction like a real one...

corkscru74 said:
Gravity jump is standing on a physics enabled object (Trashcan lid for example) and firing the Physcannon (Manipulator/Zero Point Energy whatchamathingie). You might have to jump too - honestly haven't tried it yet but seen it in the speed-demos some people are making.

You get hurt when doing that.

Anyone who doesn't believe this is an idiot. Why? One simple reason. To quote the original post:

I played every section of the game, in a continous game (with a bajillion saves of course).

I'm sorry, but who couldn't do that? It might take an insanely long time, but who can't save and reload a game?

Kudos go to kelerain for actually taking the time to do it, but it's not really some monumetal feat IMO.

MiccyNarc said:
How did you get past this:
d2_coast_010003.jpg

If you look to the left there, and go investigate that slope, it is quite easily and directly climbable, although there are some rocks in the way to prevent you from getting the buggy up there easily.

MagicalMonkey said:
You can actually get it past there if you keep it right up near the surface. I've managed to get it to the beginning of nova prospekt, but the antlions will attack the ball rather than what I tell them to, they'll all swarm the ball so I can't get at it, and they'll all get in my way if I try and carry the ball anywhere. Someone managed to get it to anticitizen one apparently, so I'm sure I'll make it through with enough persistance.

Woah! So its a depth charge thing? Should experimented more.. :) I think it would become less useful later though, especially once you get to places with real mines. The only difference is those require more careful tending, or they will hurt you.

Zenrazor said:

Here is a nice little trick with gunships. They will shoot at rockets forever. So put a rocket in the air, and whip it around at a reasonable distance, then get to where you need to go, and let the rocket hit a gunship, then up the next rocket quickly. If the positions are right they won't even get a chance to pepper your position. Also you only have to open the ammo crates to trigger them, you can run away quickly, and still get the ammo about 2 seconds later.

The gravity jump leverage the physics engine. Get an object (different ones work differently, a nice large flat plate is good for starting), step onto it, and shoot it with the gravity gun primary fire, while jumping. With the right timing, you get launched into the air.

Albino said:
i forgot about this. I couldnt do the second defending bit on medium, i kept dying. I would like to see a demo of just this bit, if thats possible.

unless you justfound where the enemies spawned and then killed them instantly, but that would take ages!

That shouldn't be too bad, I have saves before those sections. The first was a easy, the second is going to be badly sliced into many runs. The third, I think I can manage to get a good demo of in one run, again, it was easy, because I carry ALL turrets forward, so I had 8 to work with. That helps.

Raawr said:
coughcoughDONTGIVEASHITcoughcough

then coughcoughDON'TPOSTcoughcough. :rolleyes:

half alive said:
You get hurt when doing [gavity jumps].

Yup. It would ahve come in handy for positioning a few times otherwise, although I was doing every section, so I wouldn't have been skipping large portions like the speen run guys do.

siorai said:
Anyone who doesn't believe this is an idiot. Why? One simple reason. To quote the original post:

I'm sorry, but who couldn't do that? It might take an insanely long time, but who can't save and reload a game?

Kudos go to kelerain for actually taking the time to do it, but it's not really some monumetal feat IMO.

Well its not *ALL* saving and loading. There are some excessivly tough places with the airboat, dodging chaingun fire from the tanks on the bridge/culvert takes a heck of a good run, you can't always have a nice corner to wait for the enemy behind, and they often storm it in numbers faster than you can take out easily, so creative thinking is required. I levergage physics in a few places to block paths, etc. So its not just pressing the right keys and moving forward, but yes, patience is a large factor.

kelerain thats pretty sweet what you did, I just completed hl1 on hard all the way through without taking damage (took me 2 days) so I know you can do it on hl2 (im not good enough w/ hl2 yet to do it). Im postin this though to see if anyone can confirm the spots in hl1 were it is impossible to pass without taking damage- the onle 2 i found were in the freezer part (i made it through with 93 hev) and then in xen when youre on the conveyer belt with the barrels and you fall down into the bucket thing w/ the load point right there (i made it through with 98 hev by going into the liquid and jumping out- if u land on the edge u go down to 95 health) So can anyone else confirm these 2 spots? Are there more- are there ways to get past these w/o losing any hev? Sorry for the offtopic. TIA

What about near the beginning, just before you meet Alyx when you're running across the rooftops? I've never been able to get across there without getting shot by the soldiers down below at least a couple of times.

eediot said:
If you don't, just f--k off and go back to your crappy cs:s mapping, because your lame ass retorts aren't wanted here.
Umm i think you mean "you're" not "your".

Oh my god, you poor man. Waiting for Alyx to expose the energy cores in the streets and to not take a single point of damage while waiting would have taken AGES. About a gajillion reloads, I imagine.

Also reaktor4, retorts is not a typo.

Reaktor4 said:
Umm i think you mean "you're" not "your".

No, no I don't. I was enjoying what this thread had become when all the idiots left, but you had to come in and be stupid about it. What do you want now?

eediot said:
No, no I don't. I was enjoying what this thread had become when all the idiots left, but you had to come in and be stupid about it. What do you want now?
Wooooooooosh.....

Idiotic obscure references aren't my thing. I'd ask you to explain, but I don't really care. Go away.

eediot said:
Idiotic obscure references aren't my thing. I'd ask you to explain, but I don't really care. Go away.
I was joking and you didnt get it. Guess sarcasm/irony isnt your thing.

Whatever you were doing, I didn't get your obscure reference. I would imagine there are stairs in your house, but either way I'm not too fussed, as I still can't find anything ironic or anthing that might serve as a reference.

I thought you might be joking, but I didn't see how it made sense, so I just chalked you up as another idiot.

It's midnight. I'm going to bed.

stairs???

anyway, i stil dont get why people are reacting so badly to this. If they dont believe, they should just say, "I dont believe you, i want proof", instead of all this cough cough rubbish.

btw, Kelerain, how old are you?

nothing personal, just wondering

kelerain said:
"I have just completed the game, on hard mode, without taking damage. At all. None, nada. I played every section of the game, in a continous game (with a bajillion saves of course).

ramble, ramble ramble

..."

wow.
so you've successfully memorized the AI.

OMFG! Someone hurry! Give this man a medal!

sorry, dude. no one cares.

what he said... ^ ^

and why would you need to use saved games if you took no damage?

Hercules331 said:
Im postin this though to see if anyone can confirm the spots in hl1 were it is impossible to pass without taking damage- [...] and then in xen when youre on the conveyer belt with the barrels and you fall down into the bucket thing w/ the load point right there (i made it through with 98 hev by going into the liquid and jumping out- if u land on the edge u go down to 95 health) So can anyone else confirm these 2 spots? Are there more- are there ways to get past these w/o losing any hev? Sorry for the offtopic. TIA

I managed to get down from the bucket place without takeing damage. I think it involved crouching and hitting the side instead of the liquid.

XMark said:
What about near the beginning, just before you meet Alyx when you're running across the rooftops? I've never been able to get across there without getting shot by the soldiers down below at least a couple of times.

It takes a lot of tries. The speed jumping thing helps. You jump repeatedly at the right times and you gain momentum.

Albino said:
stairs???

btw, Kelerain, how old are you?

nothing personal, just wondering

21, hence the 'far too much time on my hands' :)

Nibby said:
and why would you need to use saved games if you took no damage?

Yeah, The wording is pretty poor on the first post, I've posted several times since explaining that what it was, was no damage in a saved version. I worked forward, saving often, and would reload the game if I took any damage, so my 'final run through' was without damage. I hope that clears it up. It would be insanely difficult to do without reloading.

hate to bring up this argument, but if you dont care, why bother posting in the thread ;)
personally i think this is just as cool as a speed run if not cooler, great job dude :thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back