HL2 on Hard completed with 0 total damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelerain

Reaction score
I have just completed the game, on hard mode, without taking damage. At all. None, nada. I played every section of the game, in a continous game (with a bajillion saves of course). I did not use cheats. I also tended toward killing the enemy instead of rushing through an area, although there were times where running made a lot of sense (especially from the infinitely respawning enemies)

Below I discuss some of the more difficult portions (that I remeber) so there are obviously spoilers below, but you knew that, because of the title right? Anyhow, now is your chance to stop reading.

Several portions were excessively difficult. The first major problem I had was the cannals. The tanks on the bridges open up with thier chain guns at close range. Those suckers are damned near impossible to dodge, and you have to have the airboat for later scenes, which raises your target size. I managed to get a very lucky run through and pulled it off. The second time is when the helicopter is chasing you and you are heading for the culvert, which has a tank over it. I had to work hard to keep the helicopter in "mine dropping mode" and working up enough speed to dodge the tanks chaingun, and if that wasn't enough imediately after I had to slide up the side walls to avoid the helicopter which peppers you after you entry to tube.

The end of the canals with the chopper fight was annoying, because of all the dodging nececary. I also found that shooting the mines was very effective.

Ravenholm was a no-brainer (I took dog's ball all the way through it, until the water bit at the end, where it explodes).

The next interesting bit was the buggy. Aha! you say, you HAD to have taken damage, the buggy hurts you when it drops! You are right, it does. Which means, of course, that I had to ditch the buggy, and do the entire beach run without it, and without taking damage. Well THAT was tough, lemmie tell you. Luckily the water was nearby, and the antlions drown in it.

The nova prospect beach scene was exciting in places, but with the antlions to soak up the bullets and distract the gunners, things worked out in the end. Inside for the turret defense scenes, it was mostly a matter of good placement, good maintinence, and a bit of intervention at the right spots. It did help that I always herded the turrets forward, so that I had a full 8 turrets to work with in the final defense scene.

Things got interesting again the museum, where I had to leverage a fair bit of interesting table placements. The roof I'd rather not discuss, but I will say: never give me infinite ammo!

Climbing the last building outside, with respawning waves of enemies and strider circling the building was very tough. My ammo would run down because I would kill enemies in places I couldn't get to, but I worked that out in the end.

The citadel was fairly easy, pretty much wait at the right places and zap them as they come. The one challanging scene there I tried repeatedly was the elevator. Jeez. What I ended up doing was collecting almost every console and monitor I could tear off the walls, and building a fort around the elevator platform. That protected me enough to get my shots off, and wait out the ride.

The final sequence wasn't too bad, just getting some good shots off, and timming things well. On the last platform, you can jump-duck onto the raised area to the right of the window, and tear the teleporter apart from there to complete the game.

So, its possible! And I think it added greatly to my enjoyment of the game (the second time through of course!) If you have any doubts, or want more details on my tactics at certain places, post your questions.

I'll be bundling my saves up for all to use in a bit here.

Dasparov said:
*cough cough godmode cough cough*

Note the bit: "I did not use cheats."

:)

And I can see why you would doubt the claim. But consider the possibility for a minute, and also consider the speed runers, and the things they pull off. Wether you believe me or not isn't particularly important to me however, what I hope to do is help others enjoy this game to the maximum potential. You learn a lot of interesting things about the game, the AI, the physics etc, when you challange yourself like this.

Jesus Lincoln said:
*coughcoughhcoughhedidntmakeademoitsbullshitcough*

And I do wish that making a contigous demo that was seamless across saves was easier. As you might imagine, it took a *LOT* of reloading to make this work. Aditionally, I was doing it for my own enjoyment, so demoing the entire thing (quite long when done my way) was not at the top of my list. So I challange you to point out a place where it is impossible to pass without damage. Since I have completed the game, I'm quite confident that its possible.

Im pretty sure it isnt impossible, but i know you didnt do it, because when you do, you see alyx naked

kelerain said:
I have just completed the game, on hard mode, without taking damage. At all. None, nada. I played every section of the game, in a continous game (with a bajillion saves of course). I did not use cheats. I also tended toward killing the enemy instead of rushing through an area, although there were times where running made a lot of sense (especially from the infinitely respawning enemies)

Below I discuss some of the more difficult portions (that I remeber) so there are obviously spoilers below, but you knew that, because of the title right? Anyhow, now is your chance to stop reading.

Several portions were excessively difficult. The first major problem I had was the cannals. The tanks on the bridges open up with thier chain guns at close range. Those suckers are damned near impossible to dodge, and you have to have the airboat for later scenes, which raises your target size. I managed to get a very lucky run through and pulled it off. The second time is when the helicopter is chasing you and you are heading for the culvert, which has a tank over it. I had to work hard to keep the helicopter in "mine dropping mode" and working up enough speed to dodge the tanks chaingun, and if that wasn't enough imediately after I had to slide up the side walls to avoid the helicopter which peppers you after you entry to tube.

The end of the canals with the chopper fight was annoying, because of all the dodging nececary. I also found that shooting the mines was very effective.

Ravenholm was a no-brainer (I took dog's ball all the way through it, until the water bit at the end, where it explodes).

The next interesting bit was the buggy. Aha! you say, you HAD to have taken damage, the buggy hurts you when it drops! You are right, it does. Which means, of course, that I had to ditch the buggy, and do the entire beach run without it, and without taking damage. Well THAT was tough, lemmie tell you. Luckily the water was nearby, and the antlions drown in it.

The nova prospect beach scene was exciting in places, but with the antlions to soak up the bullets and distract the gunners, things worked out in the end. Inside for the turret defense scenes, it was mostly a matter of good placement, good maintinence, and a bit of intervention at the right spots. It did help that I always herded the turrets forward, so that I had a full 8 turrets to work with in the final defense scene.

Things got interesting again the museum, where I had to leverage a fair bit of interesting table placements. The roof I'd rather not discuss, but I will say: never give me infinite ammo!

Climbing the last building outside, with respawning waves of enemies and strider circling the building was very tough. My ammo would run down because I would kill enemies in places I couldn't get to, but I worked that out in the end.

The citadel was fairly easy, pretty much wait at the right places and zap them as they come. The one challanging scene there I tried repeatedly was the elevator. Jeez. What I ended up doing was collecting almost every console and monitor I could tear off the walls, and building a fort around the elevator platform. That protected me enough to get my shots off, and wait out the ride.

The final sequence wasn't too bad, just getting some good shots off, and timming things well. On the last platform, you can jump-duck onto the raised area to the right of the window, and tear the teleporter apart from there to complete the game.

So, its possible! And I think it added greatly to my enjoyment of the game (the second time through of course!) If you have any doubts, or want more details on my tactics at certain places, post your questions.

I'll be bundling my saves up for all to use in a bit here.

good for you, but i don't see how it'll benefit us

Jesus Lincoln said:
Im pretty sure it isnt impossible, but i know you didnt do it, because when you do, you see alyx naked
just like that goldeneye 007 cheat...they say complete aztec in under 9mins.....you try!!!!!...but..... ;(

kelerain said:
And I do wish that making a contigous demo that was seamless across saves was easier. As you might imagine, it took a *LOT* of reloading to make this work. Aditionally, I was doing it for my own enjoyment, so demoing the entire thing (quite long when done my way) was not at the top of my list. So I challange you to point out a place where it is impossible to pass without damage. Since I have completed the game, I'm quite confident that its possible.
I wanna see a demo of even one map where you don't take dmg.

rustix said:

Now thats dumb, lets say he wasnt bullshitting us (like he included a movie) it would be awesome, youre saying you wouldnt want it? And dont quote someone post when its 6 replies in and the post is that big

Wow. Everybody, shut the f--k up. God, you're acting like 2 year olds. Personally, I believe him. Either way, it doesn't really matter. It's something I found pretty cool, that you can potentially play the entire game through without losing a single bit of health, and he went and did it. Some might find it interesting, some don't. If you don't, just f--k off and go back to your crappy cs:s mapping, because your lame ass retorts aren't wanted here. Wow, you're cool, acting like a big man on the internet.

Just shut up.

kelerain, kudos for the effort you put into it. How'd you get onto the ground in the buggy bit without losing health?

eediot said:
Wow. Everybody, shut the f--k up. God, you're acting like 2 year olds. Personally, I believe him. Either way, it doesn't really matter. It's something I found pretty cool, that you can potentially play the entire game through without losing a single bit of health, and he went and did it. Some might find it interesting, some don't. If you don't, just f--k off and go back to your crappy cs:s mapping, because your lame ass retorts aren't wanted here. Wow, you're cool, acting like a big man on the internet.

Just shut up.

kelerain, kudos for the effort you put into it. How'd you get onto the ground in the buggy bit without losing health?

... :LOL: he makes me laugh ^_^

Youre gullible
Especially because you asked how he did the buggy part, did you read his post?

Does it really bloody matter? Who cares. I'm sick of all this trollbaiting on the forums. We're supposed to be a decent community, but I'm seeing all these jackasses pop up and start flaming everyone who makes an innocent thread.

[And if anybody starts crapping anything about 'Irony' and hypocrisy, then I'm going to kick your ass too.]

Edit: Yeah, I did read the buggy part. I was wondering how he got down from the platform, I recall that there was quite a drop when I played it.

If you are so great at the game, get on HL2 DM, and post some of your scores...

Hl2dm is a different story, every single enemy spawns in the same place in sp, and they suck much more

Jesus Lincoln said:
Hl2dm is a different story, every single enemy spawns in the same place in sp, and they suck much more

I'll agree, it is much different, but still, you'd be pretty damned good at any FPS if you can get through HL2 without getting hurt. Without dying i can picture, but this...

Question for the poster: does cheating include every console command?

:O i just had a cough, dont need to be killed for it.... like Jeaaahh!

howd u get the pistol???
and that guy on the stairs
at the first part when you only have a crowbar
how long did it take you
haha

Javert said:
I wanna see a demo of even one map where you don't take dmg.

It'll be tough to stitch together, it always involves a TON of saving and reloading, but choose a map, I'll work through it.

rustix said:

Well for one, I think some people may realize that they will get more from the game by playing it this way, I certainly did. Its nice to know its possible, and as I said, my save games are on the way. I found out I had 400 megs of hard saves though, so I'm in the process of deleteing all but the most important ones, hopefully the d/l won't be too big. I tend to use little ammo, so it will, at least, be a nice collection of save games from hard, with full health, and full or nearly full ammo.

eediot said:

To actually reach the ground, there is a ladder nearby, but I used the side door (hard right as you emerge, its a gate in the fence) which slopes down, then its a short (and damage free) drop onto the beach, which is (importantly) near the water.

Tantalus said:
If you are so great at the game, get on HL2 DM, and post some of your scores...

HL2DM is a lot of fun, but the problem is I can't save and reload. That would be a really nice feature, but it might tick off the other players :) I tend to have a lot of fun, and end up about breaking even. Some days are better, some are worse.

Wait a second. Does that mean you can load every time you get hurt?

omg, wats wrong with you people today? is it so incredibly hard to just believe someone for once and congratulate him for his effort instead of doubting him because it makes you feel important? personally, i believe him and i completely agree with you eediot. good job kelerain!

PS: i too would like to know how you got down to the beach w/o taking any damage. oh and howd you do the lighthouse part? i remember i took quite a lot of damage during that.
One last thing: does the 0 damage part include the HEV suit? or just your health?

Tantalus said:
I'll agree, it is much different, but still, you'd be pretty damned good at any FPS if you can get through HL2 without getting hurt. Without dying i can picture, but this...

Question for the poster: does cheating include every console command?

Hmm.. I should qualify this a bit. I didn't use any active cheats during the final run, including any direct console commands (I am using save and load obviously). I did use noclip a few times to see where enemies spawn and such, so I had the advantage of advanced knowledge, but it simly made the job a little easier, and a bit faster. You could do it without any of that benifit, I am quite sure.

ne0_shiny said:
howd u get the pistol???
and that guy on the stairs
at the first part when you only have a crowbar
how long did it take you
haha

Rush them, they 'stun' for a moment when you hit them, so run up and hit the guy with the pistol in the head repeatedly. I actually use that on the first 4 enemies to conserve ammo.

I will fully believe everything you say if you make a demo on hard (show me you turning it on) without taking a single hit on water hazard

Tantalus said:
Wait a second. Does that mean you can load every time you get hurt?

Good lord yes. The challange is in playing the scenes just so. Even if you always played at your absolute best, there are several parts that are basically down to random chance (bullet spreads mostly) so you would have to play through the game hundreds of times AT YOUR PERFECT BEST to even have a chance at completeing it without damage.

Sorry if I came across as completeing it in one single run, I mean that I kept a single 'session' going, instead of something like completing it map by map.

Wait wait wait....you say you did the entire coast without the buggy? Than how did you do lighthouse? In order for the mission to proceed you need to park your buggy in the garage, correct?

fabianoag said:
I too would like to know how you got down to the beach w/o taking any damage.

First off, make sure you caught the fact that I did it without the buggy. And second, there is a ladder, as well as a 'path' to the immediate right of the door. Everyone seemes to have missed these things in the heat of the moment! Try playing it slower, you will catch a lot more :)

fabianoag said:
oh and howd you do the lighthouse part? i remember i took quite a lot of damage during that.

The lighthouse was somewhat challanging, but you can menuver so that you are to the side of the dropship as the enemies emerge. Then its a matter of poping them in the face. You can see this tactic actually, in the 3 hour speed run that is out now.

fabianoag said:
One last thing: does the 0 damage part include the HEV suit? or just your health?

Yes it does. And I don't think there are very many situations in which only your suit would take damage, although getting hit by a grenade (physically hit, before the explosion) takes of a single point. And I did have to releoad for *several* of those. Its the little things that get annoying heh.

kelerain said:

Why didn't you just shoot the buggy off the dock with the gravgun?

I'm assuming that by "no damage" you don't literally mean no damage, you never got hit once. in other words, when you ran into tough spots you had to reload, thus overriding your damage and starting back at your save point. because going through the entire game without getting touched at all (no reloading) is near-impossible.

but IRT poster, congrats on a job well done. i, for one, am very impressed and i do believe you (unlike many other posters on this thread). i don't think you would waste your time lying about this. it's cool to see people come up with new and innovative play-styles, glad you're not joining the usual "ugh iam so dissapointed wiht H2L!1! pOLL: who else is?!?!?" thread style.

what would be interesting is if it would be possible to mod a damge counter/game timer. A sort of ranking system that would rank on your total damage taken, how many times you died, total ammo used, kills, efficiency (total time on the game while factoring in a "explore" variable; no speedgaming here), ingenuity, etc etc. I remember in MGS you were ranked on certain factors and given an overall Ranking after you beat the game. I dunno, if it's possible I really think a modder should get on this.

Jesus Lincoln said:
I will fully believe everything you say if you make a demo on hard (show me you turning it on) without taking a single hit on water hazard

That will take a while, water hazard is long, and annoying in places. Maybe a particular sceene or two? It will be faster. If there really is demand for a running demo of the entire thing I might be willing to work on it, but portions of it are *excessively* boring.

Jesus Lincoln said:
Wait wait wait....you say you did the entire coast without the buggy? Than how did you do lighthouse? In order for the mission to proceed you need to park your buggy in the garage, correct?

Luckily its not a requirement. I just ran into the garage, and poked at a few guys, the drop ships seem to be on a timer of some sort, perhaps triggered by your presence in the garage. The speed run guys seem to have a method for dropping down to the path directly, without dying as well.

kelerain said:
First off, make sure you caught the fact that I did it without the buggy. And second, there is a ladder, as well as a 'path' to the immediate right of the door. Everyone seemes to have missed these things in the heat of the moment! Try playing it slower, you will catch a lot more :)
yeah i caught that you didnt use the buggy; i guess i rushed through that part too quickly to notice the ladder and the path - i thought the only way down was to jump. I will probably play through the game again taking my time more; it was just too damm fun the first time round to go slowly!

[46] pushit [2] said:
I'm assuming that by "no damage" you don't literally mean no damage, you never got hit once. in other words, when you ran into tough spots you had to reload, thus overriding your damage and starting back at your save point. because going through the entire game without getting touched at all (no reloading) is near-impossible.

but IRT poster, congrats on a job well done. i, for one, am very impressed and i do believe you (unlike many other posters on this thread). i don't think you would waste your time lying about this. it's cool to see people come up with new and innovative play-styles, glad you're not joining the usual "ugh iam so dissapointed wiht H2L!1! pOLL: who else is?!?!?" thread style.

what would be interesting is if it would be possible to mod a damge counter/game timer. A sort of ranking system that would rank on your total damage taken, how many times you died, total ammo used, kills, efficiency (total time on the game while factoring in a "explore" variable; no speedgaming here), ingenuity, etc etc. I remember in MGS you were ranked on certain factors and given an overall Ranking after you beat the game. I dunno, if it's possible I really think a modder should get on this.

Yes, that is correct, I took a BOATLOAD of damage, and died repeatedly. But I never saved the game after taking damage, instead I reloaded, and tried again.. and again.. and again :)

I also see some mod possibilities here, but I'm too tired to articulate them well :)

Edit: and I can't edit the main post. It was just me being inarticulate :p

Jesus Lincoln said:
Thats ok, just post a demo of 1 zone or 2 of a very hard spot

I think a 'best of' set of demos would do the trick. What I can do tonight however, is to finish editing my save games, and post them. You have no garuntee they were made without cheats, but its something at least.

Post a vid of you getting the Pistol, no damage. And parking the buggy in the garage without actually having it, and I'll believe you.

*Edit for spelling of damage, stupid operation flashpoint..*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back