HOLY ****ING SHIT ROK Frigate blows up and sinks, North Korean torpedos suspected

Companion Cube
Reaction score
It's 12:09 AM here, just before midnight, a ROK Frigate, with a few hundred people onboard blew up. There's reports of some kind of huge naval artillery activity going on near the Northern Limit Line; apparently our military is covering fire.

The military isn't telling us anything, and the news reports are fragmented. :/

This is the largest ROKN warship that was sunk since the Korean War. Thankfully it wasn't one of our expensive destroyers, but still.

The navy is searching for survivors, but because of the night they've had to fire shitloads of 120mm flare rounds into the air, adding to the chaos.

Shit, man shit. They think that it was a North Korean torpedo boat, or a small submarine that did the job.

EDIT: Ok, they were able to rescue 24 people out of the 104 that are missing. Apparently, the entire chief of staff is in an 'underground shelter' in an emergency meeting, and the National Assembley tells us that it's nothing to worry about.

EDIT2: 58 survivors, so far. They don't know what was the cause, not just yet.

EDIT3:
http://world.kbs.co.kr/english/news/news_IK_detail.htm?No=71353 said:
A South Korean Navy patrol boat sank Friday night near the western sea border in the Yellow Sea following an explosion.

A military official say the 1,200-ton Cheonan with a crew of 104 sailors was patrolling in waters southwest of Baengnyeong Island south of the maritime border with North Korea when an explosion occurred at the stern of the ship.

The official said Navy vessels and helicopters were rescuing the crew members of the ship.

There is no word on the cause of the explosion and casualties. But the official did not rule out the possibility of an attack from North Korea. He added that another South Korean Navy vessel, the Sockcho, which was patrolling in nearby waters, fired at unidentified ships in waters north of the area.

Many of the crew members of the Cheonan reportedly jumped into the sea following the explosion, raising fears over casualties.

Top security officials convened an emergency meeting to discuss the situation.

you should probably get your affairs in order and perhaps write out your last will and testament. you're headed for the front lines son! and glory! and honour! a glorious and honorable death

just remember your Fatherland wants you to die for your country. it wont accept anything less

it's been nice knowing you little asian dude

BBC link

Well, thats what you get for parking your floating exocet target in range of the people you're at war with.

Oh shit this just happened. It was nice knowing you numbers.

http://world.kbs.co.kr/english/news/news_IK_detail.htm?No=71353 said:
A South Korean Navy patrol boat sank Friday night near the western sea border in the Yellow Sea following an explosion.

A military official say the 1,200-ton Cheonan with a crew of 104 sailors was patrolling in waters southwest of Baengnyeong Island south of the maritime border with North Korea when an explosion occurred at the stern of the ship.

The official said Navy vessels and helicopters were rescuing the crew members of the ship.

There is no word on the cause of the explosion and casualties. But the official did not rule out the possibility of an attack from North Korea. He added that another South Korean Navy vessel, the Sockcho, which was patrolling in nearby waters, fired at unidentified ships in waters north of the area.

Many of the crew members of the Cheonan reportedly jumped into the sea following the explosion, raising fears over casualties.

Top security officials convened an emergency meeting to discuss the situation.

Damn it, I wish I had a ****ing TV. I ****ing hate not knowing anything.

You know what? I ****ing wish it had been the North, and that they're invading right now, so that I can say "I ****ing told you so".

Interenet news is too damn slow!

<hums patriotic songs>

oh dear Numbvers your death will not be in vain. we, at hl2.net will avenge your death. ...just as soon as the sequal to Ghost Recon 2 is made!

I hope they make the next Call of Duty about this.

<hums patriotic songs>

oh dear Numbvers your death will not be in vain. we, at hl2.net will avenge your death. ...just as soon as the sequal to Ghost Recon 2 is made!

Lol. I don't think I'm gonna die. If I was going to die, I would have heard a warning siren by now. :p

I'm listening to the radio, and the news anchors are all acting like ****wits:

"We seem to have ruled out equipment malfunction.."

"So, it might be a rock protruding from the sea? A reef?"

"Yes. Of course, it could be an attac-, I mean, an action on part of the North."

"It is a big ship, I mean, comparatively, so we can't rule out an assertive measure by the North?"

Wtf? they just issued a police emergency for 3 provinces; Wtf has the police have to do anything with this?

Lol. I don't think I'm gonna die. If I was going to die, I would have heard a warning siren by now. :p

And more than likely Seoul would have been pounded flat by Nork artillery by this point.

I'm listening to the radio, and the news anchors are all acting like ****wits:

"We seem to have ruled out equipment malfunction.."

"So, it might be a rock protruding from the sea? A reef?"

"Yes. Of course, it could be an attac-, I mean, an action on part of the North."

"It is a big ship, I mean, comparatively, so we can't rule out an assertive measure by the North?"

They don't want to jump the gun. No point getting everyone whipped up into an anti-Nork frenzy over this if it turns out it wasn't the Norks.

Wtf? they just issued a police emergency for 3 provinces; Wtf has the police have to do anything with this?

A communications disrupti... police emergency in three provinces can mean only one thing, invasion.

Don't worry Numbers! Me and my friends are coming to save you! Just stay alive for a couple more hours and I'm sure one of us will still be hanging on and then we'll save you!

helicopterw6swatguys.jpg

I think it's time you guys took action.

North Korea and South Korea will never re-unite unless the North Korean leaders (and future leaders) are assassinated or drastically change their view of the world.

Might as well kill the military, and rescue any civilian North Koreans. Not like most of them are enjoying their lives right now anyways.

Ok forget what I said. I forgot the North Koreans will nuke the world before going down.

DONT WORRY NUMBERS CANADA IS READY TO HELP!!!

canadian-military-weapon.jpg

Canadian military attack ships are on their way

CanadianCoastGuard.jpg

Yes, more information for my research paper.

this was the worst timing! and right after announcements of the US and Russia reducing the number of nukes we have

this was the worst timing! and right after announcements of the US and Russia reducing the number of nukes we have

maybe that was the reason?

kim jon ill: oh shit the usa and russia did some pact! attack!

If it's any consolation Numbers... this dude wants things to escalate. And many agree with him. They obviously don't know what kind of hell will be unleashed on the South Koreans... and honestly I don't think that they care. And apparently North Korea doesn't have powerful allies that would cause shit to escalate even more. ****ing idiots.

hvcg8h.jpg

358vq68.jpg

Guys don't worry. This is just viral marketing for Cloverfield 2.

I love how there is absolutely nothing on about this on any US News channels (at least from what I've seen for the past 20 minutes). I'm staring at OMG PALIN AND MCCAIN ARE REUNITING FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE THE CRANDCIRY!!!

Oh yea, and btw:
Yonhap reported earlier that a South Korean ship fired shots toward an unidentified target in the direction of North Korea, raising fears of an exchange of gunfire.

The military official confirmed that South Korean torops fired shots but said the object detected by radar may have been a flock of birds.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jQydsIWmNQZpwRriADac51u5rx8gD9EMFM1G0

Sounds like a whole bunch of bullshit to me.

South Korea fired shots at something without knowing what it was, then the S.Korean ship began sinking?

Hmm, it seems fallout 3 will soon be reality.

Who wants to help me build a vault?

If war does breakout and North Korea looses, i wonder how weird it must feel for the people when they are being processed and converted into a free society. After living their entire lives thinking that they are living in a Utopia with a God as a president and that the outside world is filled with chaos and destruction, it would be hard for them to realize that their entire lives are lies and they have been slaves to a tyranny since their were born. They will discover that there is an entire world out there that they didnt even know existed, it would be like being reborn.

If war does breakout and North Korea looses, i wonder how weird it must feel for the people when they are being processed and converted into a free society. After living their entire lives thinking that they are living in a Utopia with a God as a president and that the outside world is filled with chaos and destruction, it would be hard for them to realize that their entire lives are lies and they have been slaves to a tyranny since their were born. They will discover that there is an entire world out there that they didnt even know existed, it would be like being reborn.

Or the opposite, world will get to know the secrets of North Korea. I always had a curiosity about that place.

If it's any consolation Numbers... this dude wants things to escalate. And many agree with him. They obviously don't know what kind of hell will be unleashed on the South Koreans... and honestly I don't think that they care. And apparently North Korea doesn't have powerful allies that would cause shit to escalate even more. ****ing idiots.

I love how that guy posts as if he knows what to do in this situation. Going all "eliminate command structure" and that. I don't believe he is U.S. Army retired either.

South Korean officials played down earlier reports that it may have been the result of an attack by North Korea.

There was no sign of the North's military in the area where the ship sank, Yonhap said citing officials.

The military earlier said 58 sailors were rescued from near Baengnyeong island by several navy and coastguard vessels.

Don't worry guys, it looks like ROK Navy incompetence, I think.

That's just crazy, isn't it? Straight out of a movie script.

So does anybody know what happened? Nothing is being reported on the interwebs.

maybe the south korean vessels,as mentioned before,confused a flock of seagulls for a north korean ship and attacked,and to avoid shame they sink themselfs

Numbers, I need you to keep these ding-a-lings from doing anything stupid until after April, bonus points if you quell this thing entirely.

Ok, here's the deal now:

40+ missing, likely dead from hypothermia

Ammunition explosion ruled out; ammunition is not kept at storage at the stern of the ship;

Torpedos unlikely; ships' onboard SONAR should have detected them

Possibly/Likely sea-borne mines; the explosion ripped the bottom of the ship, and there's nothing to explode the stern onboard the ship as well.

Rocks unlikely, because the whole area is mapped.

The sunk ship is a 1,300ton PCC-772 Pohang-class ROKS Cheonan, with a length of 88m, and width of 10m. PCC stands for "Patrol Combat Corvette", so it's actually a corvette, not a frigate. This is the first time that a corvette has been sunk since 1963, when a ROKN corvette, protecting fisherman in the area, was fired upon by North Korean coastal artillery.

Needs more satellites and space missiles. Leave the corvette in the garage.

Back