How much space to save for HL 2

F

Flitwick

Over on HL2fallout.com in their General HL2 forum, Gabe Newell says: "Half-Life 2 is about 3.5 GB uncompressed and about 2 GB compressed. This doesn't include CS:Source, HL-1:Source, DoD:Source, the SDK, or whatever. It's just the straight HL-2 sizes." :thumbs:

I am saving 50 gigs for it, so I think I should be alright.

3.5 GB's? That's pretty small when you compare that to the Far Cry's and UT2K4's of this world.

Oh well, I have 90 GB open up for Half-Life 2 and Doom 3.

PS - linky, link?

I have 10 gigs reserved for games on my hdd. I think that'll be enough. I sure hope so :)

Lol same here. I think I will probably rename my D:\ drive to Half-Life 2 and only put Hl2 related games/stuff on it =)

UT2k4 is about 6 gigs, and it is only multiplayer.

Foxtrot said:
UT2k4 is about 6 gigs, and it is only multiplayer.
Yeah but it's full of maps and stuff.

That size seems about right. No worries here.

No problem, newegg is the best for shipping and prices.

DANG IT. I need a new HD...a new Raptor 74GB :D I will be having enough money VERY soon. :D Hell, probably next week.

I guess I could be considered lucky. My dad does computer repair and one of his customers gave him a dead comp (mobo fried). It was fairly new, it had 512 DDR ram, and a 40gig. So I took those out and threw them into mine.
Free 40 gigs = win. :)

I just need to buy a new mobo and cpu, but I plan on doing that in the fall, when A) I have a job and B) prices go down a bit.

Ahh.. the perks of being the son of a dad who works with a HDD manufacturing company ;)

3.4 gigs should be enough, but with the days of pretty much everyone having a 3000000000 gig HD I feel that it should be no problem.

(really, why the hell do you need a 180 gig HD if all you play is CS, not that im reffering to anyone in this thread unless you actually do that)

i think one of these days im gonna un-install some of the games on my comp to make space for Doom3 and HL2.

not that i don't have space at the very momment.. i just don't like 3/4 full hard drives.
i find it really bogs down/slows down the overall computer performance that way.

time to un-install Max Payne 1 & 2 and Prince of Persia :p

this kinda worries me...I mean less GB means less....something....why so small?

I got two hard drives on my pc. One of them is reserved for games only at 80 gig.
On my other pc, I've only got a 40 gig drive. I had to delete so much stuff to install ut2k4 when I first got it. What ever happened to the good old days when you could run the game off the cd? lol. I remember Dark Forces 1 had an option to install the game taking up 3 meg. "Memories..."

Well, having 320GB of space on my computer, and only using about 20GB, I'll have 300GB, just for Half-Life 2!

i have a 120 gig hard drive in closet right now and its going to b used for Half-Life 2 and its mods and other stuff. So its really a HL2 Hard Drive. Heh i can make an ad.

The HL2 Hard Drive. The Hard Drive thats MEANT for HL2!

Joscot said:
this kinda worries me...I mean less GB means less....something....why so small?

Less GB does not = less something

World War 2 Online has the largest world in a video game modeled with over 60 vehicles and over 400 towns and it only takes up about 200mb. It all has to do with how they compress their files and crap. Heck, there is some game out there that is only 90kilobytes but yet it has a game with a couple of weapons and some very nice visuals.

It will need massive amounts eventually, as each mod gets higher and higher res skins and models, and additional maps. As well as more mods that come out. I think my battlefield folder is like 20 gig.

I have a 120GB HDD. I'll find room :p

When you consider that game called Kkrieger (or something) is only 90kb and if you've actually played it then you'll know what im talking about....HL2 is MASSIVE at 2.5gb :p

Flitwick said:
Over on HL2fallout.com in their General HL2 forum, Gabe Newell says: "Half-Life 2 is about 3.5 GB uncompressed and about 2 GB compressed. This doesn't include CS:Source, HL-1:Source, DoD:Source, the SDK, or whatever. It's just the straight HL-2 sizes." :thumbs:

Does this mean that CS:Source, HL-1:Source, DoD:Source and the SDK will be included in HL2?
I thought you'll have to buy them separately(exept the SDK, of course).

Concidering that at one point before my last format i had an 8GB Sierra folder... and thats just HL1 - HL2 is gunna be eating space up fast with its mods ;)

45/120Gb left, I'll be okay (at the beginning ;))

lol, i have 240 gigs from 2 hds, so i have 210 gig left. i will never buy another hd again.

I've only got 11GB left but I can easily make room if necessary! Considering the time Valve have had to optimise the game, I'm not surprised it's 3.5GB.

i always have 20 gigs for games, it's a necessity but i'll have to uninstall mp1&2, jedi outcast, prince of persia, gta III, medal of honor, no one lives forever, and then i should have my twenty gigs for games back

I just formatted my hard drive and reinstalled xp the other week, partly to prepare for doom 3 and halflife 2 but I also had lots of games that I never touch anymore. I really am excited that doom 3 has a release date, I dont doubt it will be another groundbreaking title (much like far cry was in its own right) and I am starting to get excited about halflife 2 again. I was just as hyped last year around this time only to find out eventually it was delayed for an undetermined amount of time. Now with Gabe himself saying they want to get it out in august, thats reason enough for me to get ready ;)

Kazuki_Fuse said:
What ever happened to the good old days when you could run the game off the cd? lol. I remember Dark Forces 1 had an option to install the game taking up 3 meg. "Memories..."

i remember *Lotus* a racing car game.. had a head to head feature so u could play vs ur friends on the same comp and decent graphics for that time..

all that and it fit on a floppy disc! :E
ahhh...memories of the good ol' times.. :thumbs:

Redrum_82 said:
Does this mean that CS:Source, HL-1:Source, DoD:Source and the SDK will be included in HL2?
I thought you'll have to buy them separately(exept the SDK, of course).

while nothing has been officially been confirmed.. theres speculation that the Collectors Edition will have all the Source conversions... and if u decide not to purchase the Collectors Edition (shame on u :p ) then u can pick up whichever Source coversion mod u want for a "bargin bin" price.

Wsh said:
Yay =] doesn't eat all of my 70 remaining .. well.. maybe with all the extras ;x

be sure to check out the other cool Gabe threads incase you missed them:
Languages supported
Voice actor for English version
Well, this "new info" means it's finally somewhat finished =]

I kn3w i7! Teh Barn3y is 7eh 6Man!

BTW I have a 40 GB + 5 GB Mobile rack...and I'm just fine!

People who complain because Half-Life 2 is so "small" make me laugh :D I recently played IL-2 Sturmovik (an awesome flight sim) and as far as I can recall it was ~450MB - and believe me, it's a brilliant game with great graphics & sounds (and gameplay too) :p

edit - I have 576MB free on my 40GB disk... time to do some cleaning up :D

Heh, gamefolders grow fast, REAL fast. BF1942 install is 1,2 GB and my current foldersize is 6 GB... :)

My Steam folder is 2,8 GB.

PvtRyan said:
Heh, gamefolders grow fast, REAL fast. BF1942 install is 1,2 GB and my current foldersize is 6 GB... :)

My Steam folder is 2,8 GB.

My HL folder is about 1,5 - 2,0 gigs. Cant check now, b/c I'm not at home.

EDIT: Non steam HL folder

Back