hydra still in hl2?

Don't get so sad yet. We still don't know for sure if its been cut. I could sit here a say that I have insider information that it was/wasn't cut. The internet is full of people that claim to have a "reliable source". How about we wait until the final game is in our hands or until a review tells us otherwise?

satch919 said:
Don't get so sad yet. We still don't know for sure if its been cut. I could sit here a say that I have insider information that it was/wasn't cut. The internet is full of people that claim to have a "reliable source". How about we wait until the final game is in our hands or until a review tells us otherwise?

its all because of Munro's Statement :D

Don't take me wrong Admin,

But you did not provide us with something solid.

Well, he did somehow get an exclusive picture of the Combine Elite. And possible Breen. Can't tell if we have seen that before...

I believe him.. I don't like it.. But I believe him..

none of you realised that the hydra might be a bosss? thats why you only saw it once?

i bet its been cut. but i dont really mind..it doesnt really seem to fit anyway. what im really wondering about is this: there were these monsters who heads you could pick up and use as weapons...still in there? i also though it was possible to pick up some headcrabs and throw them. and i bet the ice pick as been cut.

Erm, we've only seen Dr Kleiner once, doesnt mean that he aint going to be in the game.

KagePrototype said:
Why would they take it out? They've shown us it in action, that's enough. :) Just because they haven't shown it again doesn't mean they took it out.

Agreed.

Yay!

Because of course I wasn't going to buy HL2 if they cut the hydra.

First it's alive, then it's dead and now it's alive again.

Sounds like Dawn of the Hydra to me ;)

Spugmaster said:
First it's alive, then it's dead and now it's alive again.

Sounds like Dawn of the Hydra to me ;)
Either that, or its the second coming of Christ :O

They don't want to spoil too much i'm sure.

Those hydra files are material effects and add up to around 14kb, as far as i can see theres no model for it in the model steam cache...so its probably been cut. :(

Qwertywasd said:
Those hydra files are material effects and add up to around 14kb, as far as i can see theres no model for it in the model steam cache...so its probably been cut. :(
Not all the models were preloaded. When we got the models folder, it was only most of the models, not all of them.

This will allow users to download the majority of the models of Half-Life 2 in encrypted form. No purchase is required to pre-load Half-Life 2, but is required to activate the game. The moment the game is made available, those who have pre-loaded and purchased Half-Life 2 via Steam will be ready to start playing right away.
http://steampowered.com/index.php?area=news&archive=yes&id=310

So it's possible that they simply haven't preloaded the Hydra models yet.

Qwertywasd said:

Maybe the hydra doesn't have a model, but is purely a rope with a texture or for >DX8 cards a shader effect. Maybe it's fully physics driven like the Strider (although that one has a model ofcourse) and has no animations baked into a model. Would make it more flexibel (could attack you from any angle) and would look cool.

i would say theres a good chance it aint still in. those files might be there by accident.

Well if it's not in - it will live on forever in the bink video, if only for a brief few moments.

I can guarentee that it isn't in the game. One of the reviews will probably pick up on it.

Chris_D said:
I can guarentee that it isn't in the game. One of the reviews will probably pick up on it.
how are you so sure?

Chris_D said:
Hmmm... what you been up to then? probably top secret eh? ;)

valve has reduced the game to 30% of its potential

thank god we have the stolen build

Are there snarks in the game? Because I won't buy HL2 without any snarks. Snarks are the only reason I'm going to play HL2. A HL game without snarks is like day without sunshine :p

Chris_D said:

You guys have reviewed HL2 haven't you. :frown:

blahblahblah said:
You guys have reviewed HL2 haven't you. :frown:
Unfortunately not. We can't give out our sources at this time.

chris D, valve cut lots of maps, npcs and weapons didn't they?

rrm said:
chris D, valve cut lots of maps, npcs and weapons didn't they?
As far as I know so far, the most substantial thing to be cut is the Hydra.

They definitely haven't cut any levels out of the game.

Somehow I don't think the hydra necessarily fit into the context of this game. This isn't a Xen-based invasion when you think of it. So it's natural that you won't see all of the Xen based creatures.

Chris_D said:

Have you thought about informing other sites about this? We don't want to have loads of HL2 fan sites with wrong information on them.

SFLUFAN said:
Somehow I don't think the hydra necessarily fit into the context of this game. This isn't a Xen-based invasion when you think of it. So it's natural that you won't see all of the Xen based creatures.

Seems to me that the Hydra wasn't from Xen. Looks like the only things from xen are the vortigaunts and headcrabs in HL2.

Anyways, I think Chris_Ds source is 1 of 2 things:
1.) Read a spoiler of some sort
or
2.) Valve was gracious enough to give Halflife2.net a copy of HL2 for whatever reason.

Now that I think about it, both reasons seem wrong, but we won't know unless Chris tell us now will we.

Chris_D said:

but people who got the stolen build calculated about 35/40 hours of gameplay. Also things like the lack of a DM leads me to think they rushed this game too much due to time constraints, poor planning or whatever

and that combine elite looks like they sliced the assasins head off and stuck it on a half arsed body.

Back