I didn't download the beta because...

I didn't download the 'beta' because...

• ... I want to enjoy the full HL 2 experience.

Votes: 244 59.8%
  • ... its ilegal , I don't want to go to jail.

Votes: 17 4.2%
  • ... it goes against my personal moral code.

Votes: 87 21.3%
  • ... the file is too big.

Votes: 41 10.0%
  • ... I don't want to pick up any virus.

Votes: 19 4.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
I'm gonna be paying up to £250 to upgrade my pc, and £35 for the game itself. There is no way I am doing ANYTHING to spoil my enjoyment of HL2, including seeing parts of the game that Valve don't intend us to see before the game is released - I trust them that they know exactly what they're doing to make it as enjoyable as possible.

@ Mullinator

Sry about that, I must have clicked on the wrong post to reply :eek: (it was supposed to be poseymac)

No hard feelings I hope

Originally posted by poseyjmac
ooh metaphors. what exactly does bleeding signify in this case? if its the bleeding of th beta and source from sites, no one could a long long time ago. if people want the source and they have general internet know-how they will get it, same with the beta. the only things thats hurting valve as if bleeding is every day that the source code is out and that hl2 isnt.

Well, in this case, the bleeding is everything surrounding the leak. Source code, beta, everything. While it is true that if people want the source code/beta they can get it, if there is someway I can make them no longer want it by expressing my opinions on the subject then I'll do everything I can to achieve that. I think that's part of the purpose of this thread.

I know that Valve is getting "free advertising" with the beta, and that's great:cheese: . What's not so great is that they had no choice in the matter, and they have no control over it. There could be alot of things in there that Valve didn't want us to see just yet or that they didn't complete. There might even be some stuff that they were planning to take out because it was too buggy and now some will expect it to be in there because they "saw it in the beta," which means even more delay.

Plus, alot of the other stuff leaked with the source is whipping up wild speculation and bad sentiments towards Valve (like the E3 demo stuff people were talking about). Even if HL2 were released tomorrow, there would probably still be some people who would be griping about that and holding it against Valve. So more than just the engine source is hurting Valve.

Hmm, thought I would post again, with reasons why I downloaded it, i dunno about anyone else here.. but these are my personall reasons..

1. Big hl2 fan..
2. Die hard hl1 mapper, really wanted to look at the new hammer
3. Wanted to mess around with the havoc stuff
4. go "ohh arr" at the pretty gfx

I know none of you (I would think) will go "Ah ok, its fine you downloaded it" but dont worry, I dont want people too, I think the people who get it for the code so they can make cheats are the evil ones *shrug*

against your morals??

honestly, have these people never made a mix cassette tape? have they not ever run with a copied o/s or office program?
games? i cant imagine anyone on here who would be entirely free of running copied software.

isnt it hypocritical? honestly have a look into your morals and see if you hold a particular company in the clouds "oh no we wont rip them off" , but glady rip off ten others without batting an eyelid.

holier than thou motherfu*kers.

not that it matters , i havent dloaded the beta, nearly all my software is copied , except a few games i have bought, half life, diablo series etc.

morals? i just want to play the game. properly.

Originally posted by plasmax000
@ Mullinator

Sry about that, I must have clicked on the wrong post to reply :eek: (it was supposed to be poseymac)

No hard feelings I hope
No hard feelings. That stuff happens. :)

Originally posted by plasmax000
Well, in this case, the bleeding is everything surrounding the leak. Source code, beta, everything. While it is true that if people want the source code/beta they can get it, if there is someway I can make them no longer want it by expressing my opinions on the subject then I'll do everything I can to achieve that. I think that's part of the purpose of this thread.

I know that Valve is getting "free advertising" with the beta, and that's great:cheese: . What's not so great is that they had no choice in the matter, and they have no control over it. There could be alot of things in there that Valve didn't want us to see just yet or that they didn't complete. There might even be some stuff that they were planning to take out because it was too buggy and now some will expect it to be in there because they "saw it in the beta," which means even more delay.

Plus, alot of the other stuff leaked with the source is whipping up wild speculation and bad sentiments towards Valve (like the E3 demo stuff people were talking about). Even if HL2 were released tomorrow, there would probably still be some people who would be griping about that and holding it against Valve. So more than just the engine source is hurting Valve.

the ones who hold a gripe towards valve because of things related to ai in the beta are warranted. valve came across like the AI was super smart and hardly anything scripted. but as you look at the lab level itself in hammer, there are scripted sequence entities EVERYWHERE. they just wait for triggers to be walked on, things to get knocked over. for instance in e3_lab, a huge section of ingame cutscene only triggers when you hit the monitor off the table. if they had the technology to accomplish what they claimed, they wouldn't need a crude method like that and what was seen in hammer would be much different. i think the final version of halflife2 will just have very well thought out scripted sequences. but i think the scripted sequence entitites are very elaborate so it will be enough to immerse the player and fool him into thinking they aren't scripted. valve didn't intend for people to look at how the maps work anyway

Originally posted by poseyjmac
the ones who hold a gripe towards valve because of things related to ai in the beta are warranted. valve came across like the AI was super smart and hardly anything scripted. but as you look at the lab level itself in hammer, there are scripted sequence entities EVERYWHERE. they just wait for triggers to be walked on, things to get knocked over. for instance in e3_lab, a huge section of ingame cutscene only triggers when you hit the monitor off the table. if they had the technology to accomplish what they claimed, they wouldn't need a crude method like that and what was seen in hammer would be much different. i think the final version of halflife2 will just have very well thought out scripted sequences. but i think the scripted sequence entitites are very elaborate so it will be enough to immerse the player and fool him into thinking they aren't scripted. valve didn't intend for people to look at how the maps work anyway

I dont think AI gripes are warranted (but its all up to speculation) because its obviously a pre E3 build (it has to be, we all know an arseload was missing).
hell it might just be a "storyboard" (as I have said before) for things they were going to implement...

Say this build, people are "basing their assumptions on" is from way back when they were planning what they wanted to have done "BY" E3, and then lets assume that Valve have no reason to lie to us (so we drop the naive idea that valve somehow have to make up features that wont be in the game, and assume we wont notice them not being there) and actually implemented the features they showed off at e3 (that were only storyboard concepts in the beta leak).

but its all opinion and speculation.
you are gonna get people who will defend valve against all logic, and you are going to get people who will nitpick at every detail against all logic.
all we can really do is carry on bickering amongst ourselves until something tangible (AKA HL2) is put into our grubby fanboy hands.

:/

I don't think Valve meant the whole game was AI driven - I believe the AI merely pertains to how the characters will react in a given circumstance. It would be too open ended if everything was determined on the fly without scripting - I think of scripting as the story teller leading you from scene to scene, but the AI in the scene is dynamic enough to react to unexpected player actions.

You have probably played games where you jump to a hidden corner out of reach of the bad monster and potted him without fear of him hitting you, of course that was not a desired result the developers wanted. I think the AI section will allow that monster to evaluate the situation and, say for example, move away from your line of fire and wait for you to show yourself :)

Hi new person here :)

I, myself, have not tried the Beta.... An do not intend too.. Its the same as with the Doom 3 Alpha. why would anybody want to see a game in action that is only half done....

Would you want to watch a film thats half done.. Never...

So i say to all those that have traveled the road of patients... Well done... I hope that some hot chick picks you up on the way...

Jertsy....:cheers:

Originally posted by Jertsy
I, myself, have not tried the Beta.... And do not intend too.. Its the same as with the Doom 3 Alpha. why would anybody want to see a game in action that is only half done....

Good point there, but, as with Doom 3, it's nothing particularly special (in terms of ruining anything that's to come), it's cool. HL2 is a little more revealing in terms of gameplay/etc, as there's more there to try out.. but the Doom 3 alpha, it's like a giant interactive techdemo which ruins nothing of the final produt :)

The ONLY reason I didn't (and won't) DL it is cause I wanna enjoy it fully when it comes out. Valve went through all this trouble to hide what it features, so that means it's either gonna suck really bad and they want pepole to be ignorant and give them money, or it's actually going to be more fun without any prior knowledge of it.

Illegal - I don't care. MP3's are technically illeagal, but they shouldn't be. Also, my average driving speed is 30 above speed limit. (Perfect driving record... with an exception of a parking violation for facing the wrong direction parallel parking. Never going downtown again...)

Moral code - I, many times, do download video games just to see if it's worth my money. Yes, I have bought games after downloading them, and yes, there are games I have not bought, and played them through. The latter in which I would not buy or play if I had to pay to play them anyways. (careful... don't trip over that last sentence.) I plan to become a programmer... mabey I'll change my mind when I do. :)

Size / Virus / ect - http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ That's my only virus protection and its alright by me. That, plus the fact that I reinstall windows evert 30 days due to the activation period :). I have my hard-drive partitoned, so I don't loose any other information. As for size, I would, and have in the past, taken months to download things, so size is irrevilant. I will find the space on my hard drive if I have to.

Now awaiting to be flamed...

The product activation thing baffles me.. if you don't register, you don't get hassled by that.. right?

Either way, there are tons of, ::cough:: keys around the net that you could use.

Originally posted by Jertsy
I, myself, have not tried the Beta.... An do not intend too.. Its the same as with the Doom 3 Alpha. why would anybody want to see a game in action that is only half done....

Would you want to watch a film thats half done.. Never...
Jertsy....:cheers:

Maybe to see how it's looking? Or maybe to see how the game is shaping up. To see if you think you might like it. To sample it. To have something to go on for the next half-year. There are plenty of reasons that one would d/l it.

I don't think the film-hl2 association is very good. A film is very linear and tells a story (for the most part). A game is meant to be played and had fun with, some tell stories, while some do not. It doesn't need to be complete in order to have fun with it.

i didn't download the beta because i am a loyalist pussy ass sheep!

Speaking as a Maths and Computer Science Undergrad at Oxford, the number of times I've wept into the keyboard moaning "What do you want from me Haskell? There is no ":" on that line so stop trying to give me grief over parsing errors. Boo-hoo-hoo.", means that I would feel gutted if my hard work was stolen. So I would never do it to someone else.

Heck the time it took me to get a simple maximum sum of squares program up and working properly, is probably nothing compared to the number of Valve programmers who wept into their keyboards mouthing "Why can't I get the G-man to lip-sync in German?". So I can sort of imagine how they are feeling.

I'd be gutted if my half finished programmes were put on the net, free to download, where everyone unfairly criticises a clearly unfinished product.

EDIT: The only reason I'm up at 5:30 is because I've spent the last 7 or 8 hours trying to get a load of programmes to work. Man, there is so much hot chocolate in my system right now, it's all that is keeping me awake. I best stop now, I'm actually beginning to sway from side to side.

That Roman numeral conversion program will be the death of me.

You wouldn't download the beta because:
1)You would suck
2) Spoil half-life 2
3) I know you won't:D:D:

But I DO know that you wouldn't go to jail.

/me bounces
:bounce:
argh
It's not IRC
:eek:

I downloaded the beta to see how the game was coming along but, its faulty and crashes and the maps are not finished, so im still gonna buy the game :cool:

I didn't download the beta, because everyone downloading it can only lead to further delays.
If no one downloaded all the leaked stuff, valve would likely have released the game by now, or at least before Christmas.
Now they're probably going to spend the next pile of months trying to prevent source hax and possibly even revise SP so that the game will be different from what's been given away.

Originally posted by laz45
I downloaded the beta to see how the game was coming along but, its faulty and crashes and the maps are not finished, so im still gonna buy the game :cool:

People like you downloading and proliferating the theft are probably the main reason why the real, non-buggy, non-crashing, completed game won't be out until April?

Don't you see how ironic it is that you stole the beta to check the progress, and hindered the progress as an indirect result?

Back