I find it hard to believe Vivendi is still bug testing the release candidate

It takes as long as it needs to take. It can go on for months.

No, Vivendi is trying to hold HL2 as long as possible. STORM VIVENDI! MAN THE BARGES! GET THE FOOTMEN READY! PREPARE FOR THE ASSAULT!
WHO'S THE ENEMY?
*Troops Response* VI-VEn-DI!!!!
WHAT'S ARE MISSION?
*Troops Response* TAKE HALF LIFE 2!!!!
ALL RIGHT! WHO'S WITH ME?
(Sign your name below if you are)

I am pretty sure the first RC was not accepted, I don't have liked, but this was mentioned before.

BetaMaster said:
No, Vivendi is trying to hold HL2 as long as possible. STORM VIVENDI! MAN THE BARGES! GET THE FOOTMEN READY! PREPARE FOR THE ASSAULT!
WHO'S THE ENEMY?
WHAT'S ARE MISSION?

Uhhh..... :naughty:

We'll im not complaining . If they release it and it is game how do you think people will take a buggy game thats take this long to release!

I think they said subsequent release candidates, so there has been more than one.

wow the game must of been reallly bad...scrap it, start over.

No, they probably found a bug or a hardware configuration problem, and sent it back to Valve for another RC.

Given the number of problems people are having with CS:S, I would say that it is still undergoing testing for legitimate reasons (ie reasons other than VUG being gits).

On the other hand, only a few of the flaws seem to be 'showstopper' flaws so hopefully they will be sorted and gold announced very soon.

Fine, I get it. I'll attack alone! In the night! On the full moon!
Excellent...I'll have the army of the undead and the werewolves at my side...Prison never seemed so sweet.....

Muahahahahahahaha

How long has it been since the first RC was sent in?

I was surprised to hear Halo 2 going gold today. It is just 6 days after the RC had been sent in.

Well considering HL2 will make/break Vivendi pretty much, they need it to be perfect....

They probably just have compatibility issues and such.... Happens all the time with brand new engines....

Don't worry, you guys seem to be totally upset that VU didn't accept the first RC, when most games go through 7-8... In fact being rejected can be a good thing, less patching you will have to do later on (hopefully :cheese: )

*edit* Poster above, first RC went in Sept. 15

How can anyone honestly say what's going on over there at VU? Just sit tight and the gold announcement will come soon enough. :cool:

AmishSlayer said:
How long has it been since the first RC was sent in?

I was surprised to hear Halo 2 going gold today. It is just 6 days after the RC had been sent in.

Sorry if this double posts, but I figure someone will post before I submit this reply.

For console games, they spend a lot longer with testing and a lot harder... Why? No patching pretty much.... If you find a bug/exploit people will exploit that over LANs and such.... However sometimes they patch them with the online service, but not a lot of people have that so it leaves a lot of people screwed.... Like for Madden that huge exploit with fatique and such.. ouch :(

Another thing with Halo 2 was that they only need to optimize for one set of hardware, so there will be no compatibility issues at all! Only one set of hardware for everything... Game developers for PC wish it would be that simple....

Halo 2 was also the best selling console game and Microsoft spends sooo much money on it... VALVe has their own budget, and decide all their own stuff, set their own milestones etc... They don't have M$ crawling up their ass if they are late...

vivendi are grinding the release candidates down to powder, then snorting them.

Iced_Eagle said:
Sorry if this double posts, but I figure someone will post before I submit this reply.

For console games, they spend a lot longer with testing and a lot harder... Why? No patching pretty much.... If you find a bug/exploit people will exploit that over LANs and such.... However sometimes they patch them with the online service, but not a lot of people have that so it leaves a lot of people screwed.... Like for Madden that huge exploit with fatique and such.. ouch :(

Another thing with Halo 2 was that they only need to optimize for one set of hardware, so there will be no compatibility issues at all! Only one set of hardware for everything... Game developers for PC wish it would be that simple....

Halo 2 was also the best selling console game and Microsoft spends sooo much money on it... VALVe has their own budget, and decide all their own stuff, set their own milestones etc... They don't have M$ crawling up their ass if they are late...

Point, set, match.

Iced_Eagle - 1
Me - 0

BetaMaster said:
WHO'S THE ENEMY?
WHAT'S ARE MISSION?

*signs name in blood*
yes, kill vivendi!!!
FIGHT WITH ME!

Yeah Dough Lambardi (i think it was him) said in an interview that they and Videndi are working through the RC's and release could be "very soon" or something. As for Halo 2... its a console game and therefore requires LESS testing for the sole reason that it will only ever be played on a single system, the xbox. Sure they dont want any bugs in there but its the same for all games no matter what platform; PC, and console games alike try to minimize bugs.

guise said:
vivendi are grinding the release candidates down to powder, then snorting them.

AHahahAHaahhhaha.

Sounds like a party. I can just see a guy on a street corner wearing a trenchcoat whispering to people:

"yo man.....I got some primo shit here.....pure HL2, straight from seattle. You kidding man? Of course it's pure. Definitely not cut with any of that Doom 3 shit. Here, do a bump man, try it out."

Then pocketing $50 and handing out a little baggie.....

A few things.. 1. Half-Life 2 will NOT make/break vivindi.. If it had ANY chance of doing so; it would already be on store shelfs. Vivindi has Blizzard (And through Blizzard, World of WarCraft) as well as the Tribe series. Half-Life 2 is a huge facet of their games division; but it's not the only facet.

2. From what's I've been hearing; the main issue right now it localization. With all the game dialog and what not, it's taking a friggen long time. This is in addition to any bugs Vivindi may find.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

satch919 said:
How can anyone honestly say what's going on over there at VU? Just sit tight and the gold announcement will come soon enough. :cool:

what else do you expect from a french based company! theyve probably gone through 9 wars and adminstrations since sept 15!!!

headcrabboy said:
Does it take this long to bug test a release candidate?

Another thing, all these reviews are flying out the door with an average of around 95-96% and these reviewers are playing the release candidate, not the gold version. Obviously what VUG has is pretty damn good.

Vivendi will continue to send back release candidates until the judge in the case makes a ruling on the steam issue. As soon as the game goes gold and it starts to be sold over steam as well as in stores things will really hit the fan.

Valve probably contributed further to the delay by making the steam packages so attractive and pre-selling HL2 and giving instant gratification by means of CS:S. How many people cancelled their pre-order and ordered over Steam so they could play CS:S, probably more than Vivendi would like!

"[Voodoo Extreme]: - Has Valve and VU resolved its legal issues related to Half-Life 2?
[Doug Lombardi]: No. Trial date is set for March 2005."

Ummm...so possibly HL2 wont see light of day until March next year???

/me cocks pistol pointed at my head/

(Source: http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/555/555621p1.html)

AmishSlayer said:
Point, set, match.

Iced_Eagle - 1
Me - 0

rofl

Actually I beta test for Activision so it's kind of my business to know those things :afro:

Guys, don't worry I'm sure that they won't delay HL2 until next year... yes it's possible, but considering vu is in HUGE debt, it's very unlikely.....

Plus they could give us like DoD:S, HL:S, TF2 in that time if they decide to delay until '05 and they would probably release the tools too :)

Now answer me this. Why in the world would Valve/VU have HL2 reviewed by three different mags if there was not a final build of the game? THE GAME IS FINISHED. Now, there may be a few SMALL things here and there, but really, think about it. Valve/VU wouldn't want their "baby" incomplete and being rated. But that's just my opinion. Something is holding it back, but I feel a gold announcement soon . . . very soon.

You are almost right except the part where you said it was Valve/VU's baby. It's Valve's baby, it's VU's cash cow. The game is finished and Valve sent it off to be reviewed but the game isn't gold and I don't think will be especially in light of the pre-sale tactics of Valve combined with the court case.

six_storm said:
Now answer me this. Why in the world would Valve/VU have HL2 reviewed by three different mags if there was not a final build of the game? THE GAME IS FINISHED. Now, there may be a few SMALL things here and there, but really, think about it. Valve/VU wouldn't want their "baby" incomplete and being rated. But that's just my opinion. Something is holding it back, but I feel a gold announcement soon . . . very soon.

Yeah, I think your right. The game is probably finished. In none of the reviews did they mention any bugs, so I'm assuming that they are done with it. If there are bugs the reviews obviously didn't find them worht mentioning.

Mabye it takes 400 hours to beat hl2 :[

Although, I'm not aware as to the internal workings of VUG, it seems obvious to me that the game is indeed done. What's occuring right now is VUG is merely stalling the Gold date, nitpicking little bugs that could be patched via steam upon release, so that they can release the game for the Holiday season. Nothing more then a marketing strategy.

What they do is hire a bunch of talent to get the game mostly finished, then fire them all shortly before release to horde all the loot. It's common business practice.

Those guys are just a bunch of stoners. They'll have it done in about 3 months to a year.

hows this for a new page:
updated just today with a new graphic ad, and a new release date. i know, i know, it's no official release date, but these guy's are seldom wrong. They have been preselling for quite some time...
anyway,
http://www.futureshop.ca/marketing/...&langid=EN&dept=15&WLBS=fsweb17&test_cookie=1

BTW, it's the only game with a video that i have seen on this site. THe main reason i post it is beacause they just update the ESRB rating, so you know for sure that the "M" ratiing is official.

Back