I'm done with [c]Rap, time for Techno

Reaction score
I started to listen to techno about two weeks ago and I've started to find some good stuff. There's certainly a LOT of crappy techno (as is true with all music), but I'm finding some real gems. One of my friends recommended http://www.tranceaddict.com/ & in the "New Tracks" section I found a lto og great tracks (Vortex A1, Janeiro, Dreaming of You, Time is The Healer, etc...) and live sets (Orkidea ? Live from Temporal Rhythm, GTR - Promo Mix, Paul van Dyk - Live at Energy. etc). A few other musicians I like are Benny Benassi, Darude, and Paul Van Dyke.

So, I'm in the process of building/destroying my music collection & am looking for some suggestions for specific songs or artists to look for.

P.S. After about a year of listening to (c)Rap and R&B, I can't stand it anymore. Only a few of them have some nice flow, bass, and beats (the kind you can either dance to, or just enjoy), but it's rare, and you have to endure through "Shake that a** on the dance floor, bump and grind like you want some more, get that p***y wet, etc...." And there's nothing cool about living in the ghetto.

Electronica as a genre is about as varied and expansive as music itself is, so it's hard to recommend without knowing what you're looking for. You seem to like pretty straightforward trance, in which case I would recommend checking out Sasha and John Digweed's Northern Exposure mix, as well as all of Oakenfold's live sets. Check out the di.fm internet radio, as well as the other iTunes electronica stations, and you'll probably find some stuff you like.

I'd also recommend looking into goa/psytrance, since that's still pretty accessible but gets you into the weird/interesting side of electronica as well. Check out Infected Mushroom, especially their latest album Vicious Delicious, as well as the artists Astral Projection, Juno Reactor, and 1200 Micrograms.

If you're interested in ambient, the album Substrata by Biosphere is a great choice, as is the much-loved Selected Ambient Works Volume II by Aphex Twin.

Some good downtempo choices are Boards of Canada (check out The Campfire Headphase) and Zero 7 (Simple Things).

Ennui's got it. Try Ishkur's guide for some groundwork in the different genres and naming conventions, but take what he says with a bit of salt.

Also, earlier hip hop isn't bad. Have you tried stuff other than gangster?

Look here: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=B5048A9376285EC5

A lot of the videos have been removed, but if you search for the song titles again, you will find alternative sources. It's a playlist of my favourite trance/vocal trance tunes that I threw together over a while.

I think you'll like most if not all of it.

And yeah - There is a lot of crap in the genre giving it a bad name. Pick up on the big names like Gabriel & Dresden, Above & Beyond, Thrillseekers, Armin van Buuren ... After being addicted to the stuff for 10 years you get a nack of knowing what's going to be great just by the title alone :)

That link was very useful, I got through the first 3 "pages." IT seems I gravitate towards . . .

House: Techno Dance, Anthem House, Funky House
Trance: Hard Acid Trance, German Trance, Epic Trance, Anthem Trance, Psychedelic
Techno: Hard Acid Techno, Electro
Other: Rave

To me it seems like these genres are more likely to have what I consider good music; which includes things like some more dynamic variations in rythm/pitch/sounds/tones/etc. I'm not much of a fan of lyrics for the most part; though I like some that have minimal lyrics or ones that fit really well into the piece ("Baby Got Back" = perfect, "Candy Shop"/"Just a lil Bit"/"Disco Inferno" by 50 cent = ruins it).

I'll complete my list later, but that's a great site for exploring music taste. I'll also check out some of those tracks everyone is recommending.

Quality certainly beats the c*rap out of genre, but anyway, here are the genre results from that website . . .

musictest_02.jpg

hey,this happened to me back in October
I to found some good stuff
name's you should checkout-
DJ Inphinity
DJ Tiesto
DJ Encore
Aphex Twins
Boards of Canada
Prodigy
DJ MiCrO
Phanta C

If your still looking a bit at (c)rap,check out Jon Young(google is your friend)

I got some Daft Punk,but I don't really like them,only good song-Technologic
those hardcore beats are just meh
hardstyle is where its at

Hardstyle as in 'happy hardcore' AKA Chav music.. I didn't know people still listened to that :|

I'll look into the suggestions.

Hardstyle is just bland, it's the same beat over and over and over and over and over . . . like someone's rhythmically trying to shove an ice-pick through my skull, but failing and merely boring me to death! Conversely I do like some hardcore styles that have a lot of creativity, like . . .

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sGAIpzpBvVQ

Because it's physically raping an amazing song with nafff beats and a cheesey vocal?

This thread has officially picked up. Thank you, Ennui.

Back