Image dump D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get this picture. How the hell is this hammer suspended in the air? I need some answers.

It's not; it's just balanced the right way. If you try it yourself, you'll see that it's possible. ;)

I don't get this picture. How the hell is this hammer suspended in the air? I need some answers.

The weight of the hammer head is causing it to go down, but since it's resting on the string, the other end is going up, pushing on the ruler. But since the ruler is resting on the table, it can't react to the ruler pushing on it, so it's pinned there and the whole device can't fall. It works, try it. It's actually extremely stable as well.

HOLY SHIT that was ****ing epic.

did i see Goku powering up in the segment with the super Mario world with the green pipe??

Yes, and StarCraft, and a cartoon boobie, and either Mr. Peanut or it was pedobear.

Wasn't it supposed to be Broly? He's the one with maximum power.

Wasn't it supposed to be Broly? He's the one with maximum power.

Brolly didn't wear the orange training suit...and the hair is not near as spiky. That is, by my bestest guess...Goku.

WTF IS WRONG WITH ME! AHHH I need to watch that show and get it off my head.

lol after seeing that pic, i admit to watching a few DBZ episodes today :(

I immediately knew it was Goku chillin over planet Namek

BUT

I also noticed Robotech aka Macross. :D

I has a screencap.

WHEREAREWEDINING-1.jpg

NowU.jpg

YouHasBeenHealed.jpg

SPARTAISFVCKED.jpg

He took a pic of his room, and composited his laptop into it.

It does work believe it or not, I actually tried it. It's really just simple physics.

I just can't see the ruler balancing like that, even without the hammer.

I've seen that work in a physics class back in high school

I've never seen it work, but I can see how it does....

I still crack up at it every time.

Worst. Explanation. Ever.

The string tied around the hammer and ruler gives the hammer a pivot point. The weight of the head of the hammer pulls down, and since its on a pivot, the other end is forced up. The ruler receives that upward force at the end, plus receives the downward force from the string being pulled (because of the weight of the hammer). Thus this negates most of the ruler's weight (because the location of the pivot makes it so there is an appropriate ratio of downward to upward force), and all thats required for it to be suspended is the small portion thats on the table.

The end.

Worst. Explanation. Ever.

The string tied around the hammer and ruler gives the hammer a pivot point. The weight of the head of the hammer pulls down, and since its on a pivot, the other end is forced up. The ruler receives that upward force at the end, plus receives the downward force from the string being pulled (because of the weight of the hammer). Thus this negates most of the ruler's weight (because the location of the pivot makes it so there is an appropriate ratio of downward to upward force), and all thats required for it to be suspended is the small portion thats on the table.

The end.
And holy hell, that's almost exactly what I said. The only difference is that you mentioned the string whereas I basically ignored it.

Probably the wrong thing to ignore, but it's hardly the worst explanation ever.

The worst explanation would be:
Goddidit.

People were still not getting it though. So I reiterated. Also the string's location is quite important for stability. In that pic, the ruler is actually bending upwards because the string is too close to the center of the hammer. If it were close to the hammer's head, it wouldnt bend so much because the string would be taking more of the weight, distributing it the part of the ruler on the table, rather than having that excess weight going to the end of the hammer, distributing the weight to the end of the ruler, causing it to go up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back