Is this for real?!?!?!?!

I actually found a text log of the conversation in question by follwing information from a hl2.net forum admin in this thread.

I am going to talk about what was in it now and I apologise if it offends anyone but as far as I can see no-one at hl2.net did anything wrong and there is precious little of any note about the chat.

Suffice to say the basics was Munro (if it was him) pointing out that steam needs email verification to make it secure. A point which I agree with if you are going to release commercial products over steam, they need to make it more secure.

The point in the conversation everyone is talking about is a simple mention of steam not having enough bandwidth and they would like this sorted in time for the hl2 release. People seem to be hailing this as a major piece of information but I thought it was pretty obvious to all concerned that steam lacked bandwidth and even more obvious that they needed more if they intend to sell hl2 over steam. I really can't see what all the fuss is about.

Nearly all the complaints about steam over at steampowered.com forums are not actually about the software but about it's connection to the authentication servers and content servers and also the speed of delivery of the content. All of which indicated exactly what is hinted at in the chat log which spawned this thread.

On a brief aside does no-one else think it odd that ati are not providing any content servers for steam yet nvidia are? I guess ati want their boxes to sell more. Then again shipping a coupon in the ati box with a serial key to download hl2 via steam would work and could spur ati on to host some content servers.

I just want to know what all the fuss is about..must be something to have 8 pages of threads talking about it?

Not even an email to sum it up?

Several people have probably e-mailed it to you already because everybody on this forum is just so friggin' nice, Rez. :)

From what the guy who went to the event at Alcatraz said about when he talked to the guy from shacknews.. it sounded like there wasnt much incentive for them to be a content server.. certainly nothing worth the cost of the bandwidth required.. I wonder what Valve planned to do.. surely they didnt think that an Ad-Banner would pay for hundreds of gigs a day in traffic?

*cough*supernova.org*cough*

I bet it's just the Q3 source code but with a few things changed as somepeople think they have seen OpenGL procedure calls in there.

AAARRRRGGGGG!!!!

THIS is what I get for not staying up all night and reading these boards. The biggest thing to go down in days and all I get are some invalid link pages. I would very much appreciate someone PMing me a copy of the document in question. If not, I understand it would still be nice. :)

//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/
// Purpose: Don't fire when EMPed
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
bool CWeaponRocketLauncher::ComputeEMPFireState( void )
{
if ( IsOwnerEMPed() )
return false;

return true;
}

correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't there be an 'else' in there or something along those lines???

Originally posted by mrchimp
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/
// Purpose: Don't fire when EMPed
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
bool CWeaponRocketLauncher::ComputeEMPFireState( void )
{
if ( IsOwnerEMPed() )
return false;

return true;
}

correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't there be an 'else' in there or something along those lines???

no, not necessary!

if the IF condition fails the code will follow through to the second return anyway ;)

Thank you very much to the kind person who sent me a link!

I'd like to put my $0.02 in here. I hope that it can't be proven that munro leaked this exchange, because I have respect for munro. To the people saying that he was an ass.... I think that he did go too far, and the horrible begging for information was sad. On the flipside, he was trying to point out a glaring flaw to VALVe, which he did. Th unfortunate part of all this is that it was leaked, which makes us look bad to the rest of the communities out there. But I don't think this is going to really affect the communities relationship with VALVe, because they never really gave us exclusive information anyway, did they? Some advice to people trying to get some exclusives for your "semi-proffesional" publication, don't beg like a little kid who wants candy..... it's just sad. Well I'm off to play some SWG (an outstanding game if you have a decent rig).

The purpose of registering that Steam account was to verify the email activation feature and to use it to prove that it does indeed need attention. At no point did I personally say I was Doug Lombardi. I was under the impression that Chris had read the full thread that I linked to explaining why there is a need for that feature and that I had successfully registered that account with no problems and was using it.

It was a bit of a shock to me when I saw he thought I was Doug. I didn’t set out to mislead him or impersonate anyone to gain information. I held true to my word and didn’t say a word of it. If you read the logs you would see it was actually an email from Chris and was not my doing.

If you want to shout abuse my email account is always open – [email protected] I’m not sure why you would want to seeing as I’ve done nothing wrong but feel free.

Why cant the email be posted on these forums??

Would anyone be willing to send me a copy? PM? TIA

Back