ITS AUGUST 17 HERE w00t HL 2 Preload :)

common sense tells me that not everyone is going to beable to preload. it would be ridiculous to assume that people who do not own hl2 (by having a voucher) or have no intent on preloading the game will get to preload. its a waste of bandwidth. as simple as that.

has there been any word on how large the HL2 preload will be?

I know its not all the files, but the hardrive space of users and the bandwidth used to get it there is just a waste if your not purchasing it or at least not purchasing it through steam

Shuzer said:
No, no you didn't. It preloaded for everyone without so much as asking. Now, granted, VALVe won't auto-preload a game anymore, but CZ DID NOT have to be purchased in order to preload it

I see no reason why this would be different with HL2. It'd be stupid to only preload to ATi voucher holders.

Yes, yes I did. I'm quite clear on this. It was preloading regardless, but when I clicked on the CZ icon it gave me a quick spiel on what it was and how much it was. I gave it my number and let it finish loading.

I agree with you about the HL2 preload though.

Shuzer said:
No, no you didn't. It preloaded for everyone without so much as asking. Now, granted, VALVe won't auto-preload a game anymore, but CZ DID NOT have to be purchased in order to preload it. Even *I* preloaded it, and I didn't buy CZ until a month after it was out (and not even through Steam). Keep in mind, this was when CZ first came out, before it hit stores. VALVe wanted to lessen the load on Steam, so they had anyone and everyone preload it so they COULD buy it and not have to DL the whole thing.

I see no reason why this would be different with HL2. It'd be stupid to only preload to ATi voucher holders.

i'll back u up on that Shuzer because thats exactly what happened with me.

just wanted to add that im sure Valve wants to avoid the late HL2 pre-load scenerio.. what do i mean by that?

well as it gets closer to a release date (whatever date they pick) the more pple will not only be aware of it.. but will want to pre-load it.
i guess if u want to take CZ as an example, then the one thing pple should keep in mind is that Valve will implement the option of asking to pre-load HL2.

with CZ, it didn't ask me personally.. it just did it.. :E
anyway pre-loading HL2 over a period of a few weeks before release does have benefits.. the biggest one being a lessened load on the Steam network.

Deljron said:
I'm off to install steam.

I installed my steam yesterday I am gonna go pick up CS:CZ in 1 hour :) And preload it today :p And Preload HL2 today w00t!

The preload better be available to everyone....cuz its not everyone who has the money to buy a ati card to get a voucher... Most people anyways would probably buy it online or in stores..So if it's only for ati vouchers, **** valve :mad:

No point in arguing anymore...we will see in a few hours...Doesn't matter anyway, I'm sure if by some chance it is ATi only that if anything can be extracted from the preload it will be put online to download anyway...

They will start the HL2 preloading on 11:59 PM just to be funny. And then they'll say "technically, we mean technically, it's still August 17, so technically we didn't lie to you"

Napalm said:
So I repeat...bottom line EVERYONE AS OF NOW AT LEAST WILL BE ALLOWED TO PRELOAD HL2

FFS

The bottom line is you don't know sh*t.

Stop telling people to assume you're right. I don't know. You don't know. End of story. If there's any bottom line, it is: don't get your hopes up because there is no guarantee either way.

I like the way you just assume it's possible because no-one has said otherwise. How about assuming it's not possible because no-one has said otherwise?!

OMG! OMG! I AM WINNING THE LOTTERY THIS WEEKEND.
(I know this because the balls haven't been drawn yet)

BTW: I am in no way implying it's not possible. I just don't like people making such bold statements, for which they have no solid proof whatsoever.

Napalm said:
No point in arguing anymore...we will see in a few hours...

And as for you being a jackass u can f*ck off! You don't know shit either and I never claimed to know for sure. It is called a friendly debate smart ass...you just had to go and get pissy.... :flame: :sniper: :eek: <- You!

Oh, i'm sorry!

Somehow i got the impression you "claimed to know for sure"...

Napalm said:
So bottom line again AS OF RIGHT NOW EVERYONE WILL BE ABLE TO PRELOAD HL2 CONTENT UNTIL VALVE SAYS DIFFERENTLY!

Oh wait! There it is!

ps. I know i don't know shit either.
I wrote that :p

MrD wins. End of friendly debate.
:afro:

No jackass..u misinterpret things...dick
As of right now being that VALVe has not said any differently everyone will get the preload so f*ck off yet again! That isn't rumor that isn't speculation based on the grounds of how CS:CZ was distributed...now go to hell :devil:

Napalm said:
No jackass..u misinterpret things...dick
As of right now being that VALVe has not said any differently everyone will get the preload so f*ck off yet again! That isn't rumor that isn't speculation based on the grounds of how CS:CZ was distributed...now go to hell :devil:

Call me names. No please, that helps your case. And there you go again, "valve has said nothing so we MUST all be able to download it!". Sorry, that IS speculation. I could equally say "valve has said nothing so we MUST NOT all be able to download it".

You seem unable to grasp this stunningly simple concept.

BTW: Perhaps the original post was harsh. But it was the only way i could guarantee people would look at. Something i felt was necessary given you were feeding everyone your guessed opinion under the guise of fact.

Napalm, this is your only warning, if you continue to be abusive in this way you will be banned from the forums.

Okay people they are giving you the files, but to unlock the files you need a CD Key, whether you buy it off STEAM, from the store, or with a voucher, IT DOESN'T MATTER YOU CAN STILL PRELOAD. I could be wrong but this is what I have gathered from VALVe info thread and interviews and such. :rolling:

Copy and pasted from another thread.

I don't think anyone outside of Valve knows who actually can download the HL2 cache. So stop with the name calling. Lets wait and see. ;)

Head_Crab_04 said:
I don't think anyone outside of Valve knows who actually can download the HL2 cache. So stop with the name calling. Lets wait and see. ;)

Amen ;)

Although secretly I hope it won't be available to everyone. All the more bandwidth for me! Muhahahahaha!

slightly off-topic: does anyone know why my CS:S stops at 76% and refuses to go any further? :'(

MrD said:
Amen ;)

Although secretly I hope it won't be available to everyone. All the more bandwidth for me! Muhahahahaha!

slightly off-topic: does anyone know why my CS:S stops at 76% and refuses to go any further? :'(
It loads the rest when its ready to be played

Napalm, surely you can see why people have reacted negatively to your post. There are much more productive ways to deal with these sorts of situations than to start flaming people and leave. Even if you didn't intend to be stating your opinion as if it were the law of God, that's how it came across. Aided in no small part by agressive looking UNDERLINED CAPS. Perhaps there's a lesson to be learned in wording things wisely.

MrD said:
Amen ;)

Weird. I got 100 %. I just had to change the content server. Here is how:

1) Goto your Steam Folder and delete the following file: ClientRegistry.blob (Make sure you are logged off and exited Steam).

2) Restart steam and choose to preload again. This time you should connect to a different server.

3)Make sure you note your username and password before doing this though.

Hope that helps.

Napalm said:
And as for you being a jackass u can f*ck off! You don't know shit either and I never claimed to know for sure. It is called a friendly debate smart ass...you just had to go and get pissy.... :flame: :sniper: :eek: <- You!
Don't make posts like that or you'll be banned.

I am preloding CS:S NOW :) I got CS:CZ !!! w00t. Nick -- Conkorg. See ya in CS:S Beta tommorow :p. Btw I will also preload HL2 today :) Cant wait !

DeltaBlast said:
I'm 25 minutes away from the 18th :/
Valve is not going to cater to different time zones so it'll pre-load on the 17th for everybody... just be patient :D (if and when they consider the 17th is here)

Back