Judith Mossman: Judas or bad PR?

Cuthbert

Spy
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Although i played Half Life 2 and EpOne few times I'm still a bit confused about Judith, probably I'm ...losting things in translation since English is not my native language.

She was a traitor, right? Or was she pretending to be traitor? Did Eli knew she was going to stop Breen eventually during that scene in Citadel when Gordon is captured?

"We are doing what I could never do alone, we are stopping you!" said Judith, does this imply it was all planned before? Or she spontaneously had an urge to do the right thing? If it is so I think it doesn't make sense that resistance trust her again soo easily, sending her to find The Project and all.

Can anyone explain to me these questions and her motives?

Well yeah she was a traitor. She infiltrated and got friendly with the resistance as sort of an insider for Breen so she could tell him all the updates on the developing technology. Basically Breen promised the Combine that he could get the local teleportation technology, and he knew the resistance were developing it and were very close to finishing it. However, Mossman got too close to the resistance and to Eli. Breen said that Eli would be kept alive to continue his technology, but when up in Breen's office he was going to send him and Alyx...somewhere else, not sure where, but all i know it was a bad place lol. Well Mossman must have felt betrayed and didn't want to see harm come to Eli or Alyx so turned against him.

She was a traitor, but she grew too connected with Vance and (when presented with the knowledge he was about to die) eventually turned out all right.

We think.

I think she will be killed in EP2 though

Judith Mossman was a traitor, yes, but not in the 'bad guy' sense. She's like Breen in that she takes genuine pride in her work, and has a curiosity for what lies beyond the stars. This brought under Breen's sway, who convinced her that the resistance was futile and as others have said, used her to bring back information.
Unfortuantely for Breen he didn't count on Judith falling in love with Eli, or for her to form a sort of bond with the resistance. She helped further the technology Eli was building for the good of the resistance, knowing full well he was actually priming it for the Combine war machine. In Breen's office she realised she'd signed up on the wrong side, and Breen wasn't as devoted to using his position to aid humanity as he seemed.

I very much doubt she will die in Episode 2, certain infact. She's already in the Arctic, and she'll be needed in Episode 3 when Gordon gets there. Basically, I think her fate will be left unclear until Episode 3, and Gordon will come across her at the project and they will work together to do...whatever the project does. She will probably take the bullet there though.

Yeah good point, sort of jutifies Mossman surviving until EP3 really. So i will put all money on Eli and DOG taking the bullet the in EP2.

Eli and DOG?

DOG won't die. I'm almost sure of it. Eli could, but seeing as we don't even meet up with him until the end of the game at the missile silo, I wouldn't put my money on it.

Well someone has gotta die, Valve have confirmed that characters will die in EP2. I think we have safely gathered that Alyx wont be on of them, DOG is still a character and I think we will see him be destroyed in the next episode if not definately EP3. We dont know when we get to the missile silo, it could be early on in the episode for all we know, so Eli dieing is a strong possability in my opinion.

The only indication we have of when we get there is Valve telling the locations we would be visiting before delivering the data packet to Eli and Kleiner. These included the forest, the riverbed, the mine, the antlion tunnels. Sounds like a pretty full game before meeting them. Of course they may have changed things around since a couple of months ago.

Well someone has gotta die, Valve have confirmed that characters will die in EP2. I think we have safely gathered that Alyx wont be on of them, DOG is still a character and I think we will see him be destroyed in the next episode if not definately EP3. We dont know when we get to the missile silo, it could be early on in the episode for all we know, so Eli dieing is a strong possability in my opinion.

DOG is not going to die,period.Eli and Judith are the #1 in this list.
If DOg is going to die i'll uninstall HL2 permanently from my pc.

Yeah so would I I guess, plus Valve promised the gamers more appearances from DOG anyway so..

But Eli I can definately see dieing, Mossman could also get it, if not definately in EP3

DOG is not going to die,period.Eli and Judith are the #1 in this list.
If DOg is going to die i'll uninstall HL2 permanently from my pc.

Why? That would just be pointless and stupid. "ZOMG DAWGS DEAD VALVE UR GAY UR SUCK DICKS VALVE"

Judith Mossman was a traitor, yes, but not in the 'bad guy' sense. She's like Breen in that she takes genuine pride in her work, and has a curiosity for what lies beyond the stars. This brought under Breen's sway, who convinced her that the resistance was futile and as others have said, used her to bring back information.
Unfortuantely for Breen he didn't count on Judith falling in love with Eli, or for her to form a sort of bond with the resistance. She helped further the technology Eli was building for the good of the resistance, knowing full well he was actually priming it for the Combine war machine. In Breen's office she realised she'd signed up on the wrong side, and Breen wasn't as devoted to using his position to aid humanity as he seemed.

I very much doubt she will die in Episode 2, certain infact. She's already in the Arctic, and she'll be needed in Episode 3 when Gordon gets there. Basically, I think her fate will be left unclear until Episode 3, and Gordon will come across her at the project and they will work together to do...whatever the project does. She will probably take the bullet there though.

Indeed. Judith just wanted to help mankind. She didn't think the resistance could do it in the end and she was slowly waking around the edge Breen had fell off years ago.

Yeah I didn't get what he meant either lol

I'm not sure if she's a straight up traitor or a double agent, myself. If she's a traitor then I have some shotgun love to give her when this is all over.

I'm not sure if she's a straight up traitor or a double agent, myself. If she's a traitor then I have some shotgun love to give her when this is all over.

She is trying to redeem herself. You have to remember, she thought she was doing what was right for humanity. She releazed she was in wrong at the end, and will most likely sacrifice herself in the face of the enemy. Mossman going donw fighting with a shotgun FTW!

Barney is gonna bite it, it would be a typical scene where he would be like "Go on Gordon, I will hold em off while you [insert dramatic event]!" You leave and just don't see him after but you know what happened since some big explosion or screams could be seen/heard from far away.

If Valve can make everyone so hard up over their characters, then yes, they seem to have done a perfect job. (as usual? xD) Hm. Mossman IS a repentful double agent (I believe she worked both sides, not just Breen's). I think she'll be the one who dies though. The final redemption, poetic no?

okay, she was a traitor. How come resistance trust her again and send to find The Project that could make damage to resistance if it is found by the Combine?

Eli must be really horny to forgive her that quick. ;)

Id just like to point out that judith DOES die in the second episode two trailer.

okay, she was a traitor. How come resistance trust her again and send to find The Project that could make damage to resistance if it is found by the Combine?

Eli must be really horny to forgive her that quick. ;)

And Eli was a bit too cozy with her in Breen's office for there to not have
been some prior understanding of what they were trying to accomplish at the
end.

Either he's competely whipped, or they had some ideas of setting her up as an insider to get information from Breen all along.

She is a Judas. Being Judas does not make you a traitor. If anything, it makes you a hero. What did Judas do? He turned in Jesus. What was Jesus's destiny? To die on a cross. While I don't mean to get into religion and such, if I had to guess, Jesus asked Judas to do what he did. Whose to say Eli didn't ask Mossman to do what she did?

Id just like to point out that judith DOES die in the second episode two trailer.
It's quite clear that Eli and Kleiner where watching the same video you and Alyx did in EP1. All that happens in it is a hunter knocks over a camera.

I find it amusing how people can be SO sure when they actually have no proof. The funniest thing is, if Judith dies in EpTwo by any chance, this will people will say, "See, i told you Valve showed Judith dying in Trailer 2!" :flame:

I'd like to point out that you are wrong.

She is a Judas. Being Judas does not make you a traitor. If anything, it makes you a hero. What did Judas do? He turned in Jesus. What was Jesus's destiny? To die on a cross. While I don't mean to get into religion and such, if I had to guess, Jesus asked Judas to do what he did. Whose to say Eli didn't ask Mossman to do what she did?

Because of the way he looks at her in the office, and the way he acts when she begins teleporting him at Prospekt, I think it is fair to say Eli had no idea.

You know whats going to happen?
You
vs.
Judith with ultimate new gravity gun/HEV Mk6 (Max suit: 4000.)
lol.

Eli didn't know that much is obvious. Play Dark Energy again, and when Mossman talks look at the way Eli looks at her. Alyx clearly didn't know either, obvious from the way she ruffhoused Mossman.
EDIT: And they'd tell you.

Back