last time

Smack500

Reaction score
When was the last time a company delayed a game for over a year.

I will buy hl2 unfortunately, but I cant beleive people are still defending valve, and have no problem with what they have done.

Yea this thread has no point so what, Im mad, or going mad whatever either way they need to just release the dern game!!!!

They will release the game when it is completed.

Everyone would have been mortified if they had released in September last year.

What "have they done" then? Raped and slaughtered your family? Oh, delayed a game. Cry me a river. Happens all the time, welcome to the gaming industry.

Legend of Zelda: Ocirana of Time was delayed for like 3 years.

Who cares if it is delayed if it is worth the wait?

Nevermind, you're right, I rather have a terrible game quickly than wait for a great one. I can't believe people let Valve get away with making a game better, in fact, as someone with no knowledge of how games are made, tested, and perfected or any proir notation of how long it takes, I demand Half-Life 2 today and Half-Life 3 by tomorrow!

As Chris_D said, if they released the game one year ago it would such. The game was far from complete back then, and it's not very wise to release a game that isn't finished.

Be thankful that Valve has at least given you a general release date (By that I mean, sometime this year). Fans of Doom 3 didn't even have the slightest clue as to when the game would be completed, as iD put it as such: "When It's Done". I can't stand it when people start complaining about "how badly Valve has treated its fans", when really, there have been many cases where people have had to wait much longer than you.

The difference between those people and whiners like yourself is this: Those people were patient.

A lot of games had. Just requires you to actually give attention to the game.

Probably like all Blizzard titles have been delayed like hell. Then we got Doom 3. We have GTA 3, which were originally coming to PC first. Operation Flashpoint 2. And that's the games i can remember right now.

Smack500 said:
When was the last time a company delayed a game for over a year.

I will buy hl2 unfortunately, but I cant beleive people are still defending valve, and have no problem with what they have done.

Yea this thread has no point so what, Im mad, or going mad whatever either way they need to just release the dern game!!!!
1. Companies delay games for similar periods of time all over the place - Max Payne was repeatedly delayed, to name but one. Daikatana - alright that doesn't count 'cause it was sh*t.

2. Valve are making a great game, loads of other people are just making a fuss. Calm down, dear - it's just a computer game. Yes it'll be exeplary, but surely there are other things going on in your life?

3. Chris_D made a great point - by the way things seem, the delay has only done the game a world of good.

4. It's not so much about defending Valve, often it's more about getting people to shut the f*ck up and stop whining. It gets dull.

MrBongo said:
Be thankful that Valve has at least given you a general release date (By that I mean, sometime this year). Fans of Doom 3 didn't even have the slightest clue as to when the game would be completed, as iD put it as such: "When It's Done". I can't stand it when people start complaining about "how badly Valve has treated its fans", when really, there have been many cases where people have had to wait much longer than you.

The difference between those people and whiners like yourself is this: Those people were patient.

it has nothing to do with the amount of time gone by for waiting. if iD had made the moves valve did by constantly stating release dates, then that community would be pissed off as well.

poseyjmac said:
it has nothing to do with the amount of time gone by for waiting. if iD had made the moves valve did by constantly stating release dates, then that community would be pissed off as well.
ID:
(was 2001 there as well?)2002,2003,2004 that's 3 "releasedates".

Valve:
September 30th, (Summer)Fall.

Tell me where Valve is constantly stating release dates, since they basicly stated less release dates than ID did. Which again were only estimates.

poseyjmac said:

Constantly stating release dates? I remember one, the rest were estimated periods, and I also remember id stating some periods for Doom 3.

i think we should all just trust that jesus will release HL2 when it is done.

Inanimate said:
Duke Nukem Forever has been delayed.... ermm............

DNF is like...10 years late lol. they scrapped it and started from scratch with a new company...cant remember anything about the game now though lol.

FISKER_Q said:
ID:
(was 2001 there as well?)2002,2003,2004 that's 3 "releasedates".

Valve:
September 30th, (Summer)Fall.

Tell me where Valve is constantly stating release dates, since they basicly stated less release dates than ID did. Which again were only estimates.

sep 30th should be underlined, since no time in history has a company been so sure of a release date, then at the last minute backed out. that alone is reason for people to be annoyed. next was holiday season. then april, then summer, now fall.

Okay, besides the 1 year delay, Valve has given you all one release date (2004 Summer). It's so frustrating to hear people complain about how Valve has missed XXX number of dates, when really the dates you're complaining about never existed.

You make speculations based on preloads, and then start venting on these forums like its Valve's fault for not meeting your imaginary date.

MrBongo said:
Okay, besides the 1 year delay, Valve has given you all one release date (2004 Summer). It's so frustrating to hear people complain about how Valve has missed XXX number of dates, when really the dates you're complaining about never existed.

You make speculations based on preloads, and then start venting on these forums like its Valve's fault for not meeting your imaginary date.

the only ones venting in this thread are the valve brown nosers. calm down

poseyjmac said:
sep 30th should be underlined, since no time in history has a company been so sure of a release date, then at the last minute backed out. that alone is reason for people to be annoyed. next was holiday season. then april, then summer, now fall.
No.

Starcraft: Ghost were also nearing completion, but suddenly they changed developers. As were CS:CZ.

The difference was that HL2 had a more detailed release date, whereas Starcraft: Ghost were on a quarterly scale.

And no Valve has given 2 dates. Vivendi and rumours have taken care of all the other dates.

September 30th, and Fall i'm including summer because it was only the date it was finished not released.

KagePrototype said:
Didn't take long for this thread to degenerate.

It sure did...

But also one more thing... We didn't even know about this game until last E3...so you have waited what? 1.5 years in all... get a life and go outside...

Brown-nosing? Funny you Half Life/Valve fans, you'll flame anyone that either disaproves of Valve, or in my case, anyone who simply tries to challenge another's beliefs. I don't have the right to impose my beliefs on others or make them abide by them, but I'm certainly free to express my feelings in a civil manner.

I don't see reason for your insulting me, but alas, this thread was doomed from the start...

MrBongo said:
Brown-nosing? Funny you Half Life/Valve fans, you'll flame anyone that either disaproves of Valve, or in my case, anyone who simply tries to challenge another's beliefs. I don't have the right to impose my beliefs on others or make them abide by them, but I'm certainly free to express my feelings in a civil manner.

I don't see reason for your insulting me, but alas, this thread was doomed from the start...

valve brown nosers are those who blindly defend valve. reading comprehension buddy, learn it. and yes its doomed, its gone, so leave.

Rome: Total War was delayed for a year I think

poseyjmac said:
the only ones venting in this thread are the valve brown nosers. calm down

Just because someone defends Valve's decisions, that doesn't make them a brown noser. It's not like Valve is going to say, "Ok, we'll give YOU the game now, because you kissed our ass." Besides, all anyone has said in Valve's defense here is that they didn't miss any of you naysayers' imaginary release dates. They had ONE firm date, September 30, 2003. They missed it, they said they were sorry, they will make it up to us with a great game. So simmer down and find something to do while you wait.

As a matter of fact, I am happy there is a delay- I've picked up cooking, read some books, met new people in the time I could've been sitting on my ass in front of my computer. It's really a blessing in desguise.

poseyjmac said:
valve brown nosers are those who blindly defend valve. reading comprehension buddy, learn it. and yes its doomed, its gone, so leave.
Yeah guess who were the one to doom it? This is stupid, actually you are stupid.

You ended and lost whatever bullshit you were discussing.

poseyjmac said:
This whole argument is back to front. :s

Hmph, very mature response on your behalf. It sounds to me as though someone needs to get off their ego-trip and stop enticing arguments for the sake of it, lest I hear moderators swooping down. You're a veteran to these boards- you should know better.

Topic closed?

get a life and go outside...

Sums up the whole discussion pretty nicely.

Funny enough though, that us "valve brown nosers" care the least to when HL2 is coming out.

Gergor said:
Just because someone defends Valve's decisions, that doesn't make them a brown noser. It's not like Valve is going to say, "Ok, we'll give YOU the game now, because you kissed our ass." Besides, all anyone has said in Valve's defense here is that they didn't miss any of you naysayers' imaginary release dates. They had ONE firm date, September 30, 2003. They missed it, they said they were sorry, they will make it up to us with a great game. So simmer down and find something to do while you wait.

As a matter of fact, I am happy there is a delay- I've picked up cooking, read some books, met new people in the time I could've been sitting on my ass in front of my computer. It's really a blessing in desguise.

thats nice. im not complaining either, im just defending the complainers point of view so people can assume that i am complaining, so then i can tell them i'm not and make them look like an assuming fool.

MrBongo said:
Hmph, very mature response on your behalf. It sounds to me as though someone needs to get off their ego-trip and stop enticing arguments for the sake of it, lest I hear moderators swooping down. You're a veteran to these boards- you should know better.

Topic closed?
Excellent written :thumbs:

MrBongo said:

Topic closed?

no ego here. i just find it funny when people make assumptions and can't read properly.

this is a cool thread ye ye

tommorow is the 15th the date of the RC...ye ye...wo ye ye...

PvtRyan said:
Sums up the whole discussion pretty nicely.

Funny enough though, that us "valve brown nosers" care the least to when HL2 is coming out.

im not a brown noser, and i care just as less. hl2 will be an afterthought if its delayed much longer, because many games coming out this fall and winter are going to overshadow it.

Back