Votes: 67 59.8%
  • No

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 12 10.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
regulation would solve so many problems with drug dealers.

If it was legal and you could buy it in a government licensed store, would you go the the shady guy on the street corner instead? I don't think so. If you could get federally approved cannbis, would you buy the stuff that could be laced with cocaine? I don't think so. By regulating it, you keep people safe, and keep the money out of the hands of drug lords. In fact, the government can then tax it, putting money into their coffers. And if it's regulated, you can designate places to smoke, people who can sell it, and people who can grow it.

But to regulate it, it has to be legalized first.

In the UK there's some kind of law banning people from raising the topic in parliment.

Bush is a **** you can try and defend him, it won't work, he's a **** - and saying there is no benefit to legalisation just adds to it.

And I wish people would stop saying that people only want it legalised becoz they want to get high, not 4 medical reasons. Maybe becoz we don't have any of the dozens of ailments it can help with, and maybe becoz we feel we have the right to enjoy a substance in our own homes.

Oh yeah, and as for someone who said "go do something more creative than smoke weed"
a) Do you drink alcohol constantly? No. Do you smoke weed constantly, no. You can be a cannabis smoker and still do other things *shock horror*
b) I wrote my first english degree essay over three joints, I was very high. I got 68%. That's a 2.1. Apparently 2% higher is potentially publishable.
Of the three pieces making up my creative writing portfolio. One was done sober: I got 54%. One was done stoned. 66%. One was done tripping: 62%.
c) A large percentage of GOOD musicians take drugs. The only anti drugs ones are commercial tat, and do so because it's in their contract.

Yakuza said:
Also the amount of lung damage you would get from smoking weed is nothing compared to the physical and mental dameges from heroin.
You dont know too much about heroin then.

john121 said:
i feel that the main reason people want it legalized is simply because alot of people are doing it anyways. Let's cut the crap about the medicinal purposes. I'm not saying it can't help the people with cancer, but then again they have created a type of weed that doesn't have the same "high" effects.. I haven't seen many people embracing that anyhow. So, what does that say when they get the "high" pot and not the "un-high" pot? that they would rather be high!
No, it says that the high pot works better, you know, because the thing that makes you high is the same thing that kills the pain... :rolleyes:
These kids who smoke pot 3 times a day ought to be doing something better with their lives like actually create something, write.. instead of wasting their lives.
Way to stereotype.

Yeah, they found that removing the high makes it far less effective. Although they are close to finding another way of doing it; whether that will help who knows.

But yeh, just cuz its also medicine duznt mean it shudnt also be used for recreation.

Ehh...nothing would happen if they legalize it. Those who are prone to use these kind of substances, will take it one way or another. The others not interested won't! Holland has it legalized, but the most smoker countries are the ones who don't have it legalized (USA, Germany, UK,...)!

I'm happy that i don't feel the need for this! I got drunk many times on partys, but never feel the urge to drink, beside those occasions!
The funny thing is that most of my friends often consume alcohol and pot, but never affected me! Alcohol is legalized those who want to drink, drink, there will always be others that don't!

Those who do not benefit to the comunity, will eventualy die! (Theory of evolution--my interpretation, hehe) but we are not animals, are we!?

Legalizing marijuana makes no since. I have heard no arguments in favor of it that aren't hopelessly irrational. Most people in favor of it from my experience suffer from a severly delusional perspective of society and the nature of mankind in general. They are either smokers themselves(tell me, what addict wouldn't want their vise available and legal?), or inexperienced nieve people who lack the foresight to fathom the outcome such a move would have on society in general.

Most people who argue in favor of it need to wrap their minds around a few very important facts they seem to have looked over, or willfully ingored. These address the most common arguments for legalization:

1. Legalizing one substance, which is generally negative to the user or society in general, does not justify the legalization of any other substance that produces the same negative results. In other words, the time proven saying comes to mind, "two wrongs don't make a right".

2. The costly(costly in many ways) efforts to fight the crime is a dilemma, but such dilemmas cannot be solved by giving up and condoning the crime itslef. What we need is new and creative ways to reach the mind of the abuser, not for the government to openly allow and even profit from yet another dangerous substance being pushed on our society and our youth in the open.

3. Criminals will not turn their back on criminal enterprises in the event that weed is legalized, they will simply shift onto another enterprise. The legalization of weed will not decrease criminal activity, because it will not decrease the criminal's inclination towards criminal enterprises. Do you think a marijuana dealer is more likely to get a 9 to 5 in the event that weed is made legal, or to just pick another substance to push? Weed is just one of many outlets for the criminally inclined, it is not the cause of the crime itself. The drive of the crimes are rooted in the minds of the criminal, the particular drug involved is an insignificant variable.

With no positive affects on society, and certainly not enough to outweigh the negative, I find it hard to take anyone seriously who genuinely believes in such a radical, adverse cause.

Brassm0nkey said:
Legalizing marijuana makes no since. I have heard no arguments in favor of it that aren't hopelessly irrational. Most people in favor of it from my experience suffer from a severly delusional perspective of society and the nature of mankind in general. They are either smokers themselves(tell me, what addict wouldn't want their vise available and legal?), or inexperienced nieve people who lack the foresight to fathom the outcome such a move would have on society in general.

Most people who argue in favor of it need to wrap their minds around a few very important facts they seem to have looked over, or willfully ingored. These address the most common arguments for legalization:

1. Legalizing one substance, which is generally negative to the user or society in general, does not justify the legalization of any other substance that produces the same negative results. In other words, the time proven saying comes to mind, "two wrongs don't make a right".

2. The costly(costly in many ways) efforts to fight the crime is a dilemma, but such dilemmas cannot be solved by giving up and condoning the crime itslef. What we need is new and creative ways to reach the mind of the abuser, not for the government to openly allow and even profit from yet another dangerous substance being pushed on our society and our youth in the open.

3. Criminals will not turn their back on criminal enterprises in the event that weed is legalized, they will simply shift onto another enterprise. The legalization of weed will not decrease criminal activity, because it will not decrease the criminal's inclination towards criminal enterprises. Do you think a marijuana dealer is more likely to get a 9 to 5 in the event that weed is made legal, or to just pick another substance to push? Weed is just one of many outlets for the criminally inclined, it is not the cause of the crime itself. The drive of the crimes are rooted in the minds of the criminal, the particular drug involved is an insignificant variable.

With no positive affects on society, and certainly not enough to outweigh the negative, I find it hard to take anyone seriously who genuinely believes in such a radical, adverse cause.

well he's got a point where he says that most poeople for it are marijuana consumers and that would only benefit them. i agree that criminals would switch to some other product, so i think that is best to stay with marijuana which is the least dangerous (compared to extasy,heroine,...). i

No, because I don't like how normal people behave when they take it, and the smell is sickly. And the smoke is invasive, like tabacco smoke. I don't want to smell smoke, tabacco or weed, it makes me feel physically sick.
I do drink alcohol, but not to a large amount, and I don't get drunk anymore. I just like the taste of real beer. It'd be good if they could put a few more restrictions on alcohol, to stop drunk violence and things. This 24 hour law sounds more bad than good. We need to change the culture of alcohol = cool or whatever.

If they did legalise cannibis they should keep a lot of restrictions, like no public areas smoking, no smoking in front of kids, etc.

Make society better not worse. That's just my view on the matter.

How the hell did I get on the politics forum, I hate arguements :O

Well said BrassMoneky.

From personal experience alone I know the harm that cannabis use can cause.

It's something i've grown up with from an early age - try living in a family of weed smokers, where everyone you know smokes daily (family, friends, kids in the playgrounds, mums who're waiting over the road to pick them up) Try living with their apathy (at home, in the classroom, at work)

I have known many heavy users who've developed serious psychological problems, and many others who are mentally stunted. (I myself smoked daily for just under 15 years - it certainly has an effect) Of course, many have no problems at all - but no longer enjoy cannabis, and wish hey weren't addicted (to say it isn't addictive is obtuse in the extreme).

The vast majority of advocates for legalisation haven't got a clue, the others have no experience - spewing out the same statistics time after time. You never come across a heavy user, or someone who knows one, who feels the same (University was a knightmare :/ The amount of students I met, who'd only been smoking casually for a year or two, who were preaching to the world the benefits of cannabis was sickening. It's becoming trendy to push for legalisation in todays youth. Rebelling for the sake of it - the angst is almost palpable)

I agree on all 3 of your points.

Society definately doesn't need cannabis, nor will it benefit from its legalisation. The notion that weed is harmless is false. The question we should be asking is, 'do we actually want another harmful drug legalised'? Like it or not, legalisation will be seen as many as a government endorsement. It will encourage users that would have abstained before to 'try it out' (and yes, I do know the situation in Holland, having spent much of my youth there. We're not talking about Holland, unfortunately. We're talking about the states and the UK ..... which is very different. Here, the 'it's cool to get smashed' culture is flourishing more than ever before)

Weed is most dangerous because of the nature of its use. It can be used all day, everyday, without stopping you going to work/school etc. You can use it for years, blissfully unaware of the damge you may be causing. Cannabis isn't like alcohol, or other harder drugs, in this respect (it's most similar to tea/coffee and cigarettes, and is used in the same way) This may sound like an extreme example - but it isn't. It's one that's common in many areas, and will become even more common if cannabis gets legalised.

The fact that many people are sensible with the drug, have a great time and come to no harm, is not a good reason for legalisation.

I have known many heavy users who've developed serious psychological problems, and many others who are mentally stunted. (I myself smoked daily for just under 15 years - it certainly has an effect) Of course, many have no problems at all - but no longer enjoy cannabis, and wish hey weren't addicted (to say it isn't addictive is obtuse in the extreme).

The vast majority of advocates for legalisation haven't got a clue, the others have no experience - spewing out the same statistics time after time. You never come across a heavy user, or someone who knows one, who feels the same (University was a knightmare :/ The amount of students I met, who'd only been smoking casually for a year or two, who were preaching to the world the benefits of cannabis was sickening. It's becoming trendy to push for legalisation in todays youth. Rebelling for the sake of it - the angst is almost palpable)
This is no different than peopel abusing alcohol. You say that most people are casual smokers and you are right on that. Everything is really bad if used too much. I smoked pot for many years almost hourly; this is in no way good but what gives you or anyone else the right to say I shouldn't be allowed to do this? If I was addicted to alcohol the same way (which many peopel are) I would have ruined my life at the time and would probably have many health problems now. After all that pot smoking I was able to quit cold turkey. I am not saying I wasn't addicted but quiting weed is much easier than other drugs (including alcohol); it simply takes the will power to do it. If you don't have the will power go check yourself in to rehab for a while; it's all about personal responsibility.
Weed is most dangerous because of the nature of its use. It can be used all day, everyday, without stopping you going to work/school etc. You can use it for years, blissfully unaware of the damge you may be causing. Cannabis isn't like alcohol, or other harder drugs, in this respect (it's most similar to tea/coffee and cigarettes, and is used in the same way) This may sound like an extreme example - but it isn't. It's one that's common in many areas, and will become even more common if cannabis gets legalised.
Please explain to me how it would become more common if it was legalized? This is a myth put out by the DEA and if you simply think about it for a little you realize how unrealistic this is. Cannibis is already out there in huge amounts; keeping it illegal obviously isn't stopping that.
Society definately doesn't need cannabis, nor will it benefit from its legalisation. The notion that weed is harmless is false. The question we should be asking is, 'do we actually want another harmful drug legalised'? Like it or not, legalisation will be seen as many as a government endorsement. It will encourage users that would have abstained before to 'try it out' (and yes, I do know the situation in Holland, having spent much of my youth there. We're not talking about Holland, unfortunately. We're talking about the states and the UK ..... which is very different. Here, the 'it's cool to get smashed' culture is flourishing more than ever before)
Again, this makes absolutely no sense. The government surely isn't endorsing tobacco or alcohol; the people are. However, if you do legalize cannibis you make regulating it a lot simpler. For example, you can make it illegal for underage kids.

In addition, you might want to spend some time and read the entire thread. These points you made were already beaten in to the ground and I won't go on for 12 more pages doing the same thing.

well he's got a point where he says that most poeople for it are marijuana consumers and that would only benefit them. i agree that criminals would switch to some other product, so i think that is best to stay with marijuana which is the least dangerous (compared to extasy,heroine,...). i
Most people for it are hardly just consumers. I know many people, conservatives and liberals alike, that support the legalization of cannabis but don't smoke themselves. Don't believe me? Go on a republican or democratic message board and start a thread asking if pot should be decriminalized.

YES IT SHOULD

that would be sooo awesome!
go to safeway and get a pack of joints

No Limit said:
This is no different than peopel abusing alcohol. You say that most people are casual smokers and you are right on that. Everything is really bad if used too much. I smoked pot for many years almost hourly; this is in no way good but what gives you or anyone else the right to say I shouldn't be allowed to do this? If I was addicted to alcohol the same way (which many peopel are) I would have ruined my life at the time and would probably have many health problems now. After all that pot smoking I was able to quit cold turkey. I am not saying I wasn't addicted but quiting weed is much easier than other drugs (including alcohol); it simply takes the will power to do it. If you don't have the will power go check yourself in to rehab for a while; it's all about personal responsibility.

What makes it dangerous is that you can develop a long term habbit so easily ... it's easy to abuse cannabis and 'get away with it'. Especially in comparison to booze. Like you said - a similar habbit with alochol, or other drugs, would have come to an abrupt end. You're forced to face the obvious (if not in your eyes, then in others) problem, or die, relatively soon. Not so with weed - like the energizer bunny, you can just keep going without any apparent problems, untill it's too late. You were more fortunate than others, that's all.

I personally found giving up cannabis far harder than giving up tobacco and alcohol .... horse for courses.

No Limit said:
Please explain to me how it would become more common if it was legalized? This is a myth put out by the DEA and if you simply think about it for a little you realize how unrealistic this is. Cannibis is already out there in huge amounts; keeping it illegal obviously isn't stopping that.

Because cannabis is already seen by many people as harmless, legalisation would reinforce this opinion. You believe ppl wouldn't just try it out to see what all the fuss has been about?

Even if this wasn't the case - cannabis is a harmful drug. Does any society need this? (especially seeing the way things are going these days) Why compound on other errors made by the goverment with one more?

Many other drugs are used in large quantities, and are aslo rightly banned.

No Limit said:
Again, this makes absolutely no sense. The government surely isn't endorsing tobacco or alcohol; the people are. However, if you do legalize cannibis you make regulating it a lot simpler. For example, you can make it illegal for underage kids.

Like that has ever worked.

God forbid they make getting weed as easy for youngsters as it is for them to get alcohol. (and if it's legal they will)

I never said that it would be a governemnt endorsement, either. But people would see it that way (people are stupid)

No Limit said:
In addition, you might want to spend some time and read the entire thread. These points you made were already beaten in to the ground and I won't go on for 12 more pages doing the same thing.

I have read many threads on this subject on this, and other, forums. Nothing you have said is new, or has persuaded me to change my opinion.

However, I do value your view far more than others. Especially these guys:

No Limit said:
I know many people, conservatives and liberals alike, that support the legalization of cannabis but don't smoke themselves

.... who, let's face, probably haven't got a clue. And I don't want to get in a willy waving contest about who has the most experience in this matter. I've just seen a great deal of harm done by this drug and get so mad when people treat it as harmless.

Virtually every single day of my 26 years on this planet has been spent living in a house (either with my family, or girlfriends/friends) constantly filled with cannabis smoke. Whether I choose to indulge or not makes no difference. Outside there are kids who can't be older than 11 or 12 smoking weed and trying to look cool - and I see myself all those years ago. Things are shitty, legalising won't help. Finding the dealers and cutting their balls off will.

Brassm0nkey said:
a) Legalizing marijuana makes no since. I have heard no arguments in favor of it that aren't hopelessly irrational. Most people in favor of it from my experience suffer from a severly delusional perspective of society and the nature of mankind in general. b) They are either smokers themselves(tell me, what addict wouldn't want their vise available and legal?), or inexperienced nieve people who lack the foresight to fathom the outcome such a move would have on society in general.

c) Most people who argue in favor of it need to wrap their minds around a few very important facts they seem to have looked over, or willfully ingored. These address the most common arguments for legalization:

d)1. Legalizing one substance, which is generally negative to the user or society in general, does not justify the legalization of any other substance that produces the same negative results. In other words, the time proven saying comes to mind, "two wrongs don't make a right".

e)2. The costly(costly in many ways) efforts to fight the crime is a dilemma, but such dilemmas cannot be solved by giving up and condoning the crime itslef. What we need is new and creative ways to reach the mind of the abuser, not for the government to openly allow and even profit from yet another dangerous substance being pushed on our society and our youth in the open.

f)3. Criminals will not turn their back on criminal enterprises in the event that weed is legalized, they will simply shift onto another enterprise. The legalization of weed will not decrease criminal activity, because it will not decrease the criminal's inclination towards criminal enterprises. Do you think a marijuana dealer is more likely to get a 9 to 5 in the event that weed is made legal, or to just pick another substance to push? Weed is just one of many outlets for the criminally inclined, it is not the cause of the crime itself. The drive of the crimes are rooted in the minds of the criminal, the particular drug involved is an insignificant variable.

g)With no positive affects on society, and certainly not enough to outweigh the negative, I find it hard to take anyone seriously who genuinely believes in such a radical, adverse cause.

Ok
a) First of all, read through this thread, or bits of it. Using government statistics and scientific experiments is not irrationality. From experience the people in support of prohibition are the more irrational, unable to bring up any facts or figures to a debates, and merely repeating "Drugs are bad. Drugs are bad." I've made my own opinion on the cannabis debate through reading a lot of different sources, including pro and anti weed. Cannabis isn't super-safe or anything, but I still think it makes sense for legilisation, as I will explain.

b) OK, figure this, if I never surfed the net, ever, would I want to push for WinMX, Kazaa etc to be made perfectly legal? (Bad example I know). Answer - no. Yet with the cannabis, despite the majority of people you'll come into contact with who are pro-legilisation being smokers themselves, a good many politicians, police officers, and other upstanding members of the community are pro-legilisation. Why? Because it gives THEM control over it, currently they have very little. If you think it would have some drastic impact on our society, why don't you look at Holland? Why do ex-Scotland yard drug squad chiefs support legilisation? Why is it society hasn't fallen to pieces under alcohol - a drug far worse than cannabis. You can say 'we haven't thought it through' but it seems to be the reverse, the people in support of prohibition have nothing to show that their method is working - in fact, the opposite. Drug use has continued to grow as long as there has been prohibition http://www.nida.nih.gov/STRC/Forms.html (not a great link, but shows increase)
Yet pro-legilisation have Hollands drugs figures to show. Compare them to the US, UK... sorry, but who's the one ignoring the facts and having a misinterpretation of society?
Holland

c) Let's see :)

d) OK, so you're saying that because alcohol is bad, we can't have cannabis too? Surely, with cannabis being less harmful to your health we should legalise that in favour of weed. It would make sense, crime rate would drop for a start. Now, let's look at your point "bad for individual and society". A passing comment - do you have anything to back this claim up? OK, bad for the inidvidual - YES! Surprisngly enough cannabis IS bad for you, but smoking it a little now and again has been shown to cause minimum harm to the user. It's when you start smoking it a lot you get problems, but that's true with everything. If everyone drank three pints of beer a day there would be dozens of negative side effects on them - fact is, most people don't, most people have a few pints at the weekend, or maybe one after work, and keep it sorted. It's unfair to suggest that people are going to suddenly start smoking cannabis enough to give them problems as soon as its legalised - as with all things, some people will use it sensibly, and some will not. But even the ones who do it in excess are hardly going to shake the fabric of our society with reduced cognitive recall (reversable through quitting), and of course chance of lung cancer because of the tobacco in joints.

e) In the UK its estimated we spend £1bn a year fighting drugs. £1bn. And guess what, drug use is at a high (pun perhaps?). Now, I agree with your point about "finding other methods" but what methods are those exactly? We've had prohibition for almost 100 years now, many things have been tried - linking pot to heroin use, linking pot to communism, linking pot to murder etc etc. None worked. Now, wouldn't it make more sense to legalise it WITH STRONG RESTRICTIONS than to continue criminialising users for doing nothing more than smoking. Having strict age restrictions would help the problem of young drug users - ask any kid where I come from what's easier to get hold of, beer or weed, they'll say weed 9 out of 10 times, why? Because street dealers dont ask for ID, shops do. By putting the control in the governments hands we are taking a lot of money out of criminals who fund their ways through drug dealing, we are moving otherwise law abiding people away from criminals to reduce the chance they get caught up in crime, and we're being more honest with ourselves - saying; 'look, some people take drugs for recreational purposes, you have to be adult to do it, and you must be careful not to over do it (*reads warnings on retail cannabis packaging*). Oh, and look at Holland to. That's a shorter way of explaining all that.

f) A valid point. Ok, firstly, what if they legalised everything? Seriously. What would they push then?
Secondly, it's estimated that if weed was legalised the government would get several million pounds in tax a year. Not only that but they would be saving a significant amount in money no longer used to hunt down pot dealers and users. So if criminals did begin finding other means - the police will have lot's more money to tackle them with. But this is one of the few points I agree with prohibition on - the dealers need to be thought about.

g) No positive effects on society?
* Stoners make great music :) - Bob Marley, Jimi Hendrix, Beatles, Beach boys, rolling stones etc etc.
* Hemp can be used as cheap biodegradable packaging
* Hemp can be used to make rope
* Hemp can be used to make clothes
* Hemp can be used as a wood substitute.
* Hemp can be used as a CO2 free biodegradable fuel
* Hemp can be used to make a cheap, environmentally safe oil substitute
* Hemp can be used to make a cheap, cleaner car fuel.
* Hemp can be used in a variety of ways in the medical world.
* Cannabis is enjoyable to smoke, and while I'm sitting in with a joint and some friends, I'm not getting p*ssed down the pub with my mates, then smashing a window or getting into a fight on the way home.

So yeah; smoking weed isn't good for you. It's not especially bad for you short term (that's from experience and government reports) but can begin having effects if done long term (again, from experience and government reports). But if there are these problems with it, surely legilisation is the key, it give the government control, rather than the dealers, and makes it easier with people with problems to seek help. It makes it easier for proper warnings to be displayed about the dangers, not this "Drugs are just bad, say no" nonsense.

And if Hollands anything to go by, once legilisation is implimented, the number of users goes down. So whether you think weed is great to smoke, or you hate the idea - it seems, to me at least, legilisation is the way.

What makes it dangerous is that you can develop a long term habbit so easily ... it's easy to abuse cannabis and 'get away with it'. Especially in comparison to booze. Like you said - a similar habbit with alochol, or other drugs, would have come to an abrupt end. You're forced to face the obvious (if not in your eyes, then in others) problem, or die, relatively soon. Not so with weed - like the energizer bunny, you can just keep going without any apparent problems, untill it's too late. You were more fortunate than others, that's all.
I was just fortunate? I don't think so, all of my friends I still have contact with that smoked weed with me regularly have also given it up.
I personally found giving up cannabis far harder than giving up tobacco and alcohol .... horse for courses.
You might be able to argue the alcohol part but there is no way in hell any rational person would say quiting tobacco is easier than quiting weed; unless you've only been smoking for a very short period. I've seen people on their death bed because of cancer smoking tobacco; you can not show me one case where something like this happens with pot. Once people have to quit weed they do; be it having kids, a new job with drug testing, or whatever.
Because cannabis is already seen by many people as harmless, legalisation would reinforce this opinion. You believe ppl wouldn't just try it out to see what all the fuss has been about?

Even if this wasn't the case - cannabis is a harmful drug. Does any society need this? (especially seeing the way things are going these days) Why compound on other errors made by the goverment with one more?

Many other drugs are used in large quantities, and are aslo rightly banned.
Pot is not seen by anyone as harmless. I have never said pot is harmless. However, many things in this world aren't harmless but still enjoyable and people do it. Should we not drive because driving can be abused? The government legalizing something doesn't say it is approving of it. People are the ones that approve things and something doesn't have to be legal for people to approve it. Cannbis is a classic example of this as society approves it.
Like that has ever worked.

God forbid they make getting weed as easy for youngsters as it is for them to get alcohol. (and if it's legal they will)

I never said that it would be a governemnt endorsement, either. But people would see it that way (people are stupid)
Youngsters have a much harder time getting alcohol than they do pot. Any kid can go in to their high school and get virtually any drug they want; this is not the case with alcohol as they need friends who are over 21. If weed followed the same rules it would be much harder for young people to get it (not impossible though).

Your argument that people are stupid can apply to anything so it isn't really valid.

I have read many threads on this subject on this, and other, forums. Nothing you have said is new, or has persuaded me to change my opinion.
I was talking about rereading the thread because many of the points you rasied have already been brought up (and debunked :) ). I simply don't want to go over another 10 pages arguing the same points.
.... who, let's face, probably haven't got a clue. And I don't want to get in a willy waving contest about who has the most experience in this matter. I've just seen a great deal of harm done by this drug and get so mad when people treat it as harmless.
Some of them don't have a clue. But many people arguing for keeping it illegal have absolutely no clue. I hear stupid things like "oh, if you make drugs legal you are just putting more immoral things out there" coming from people like these.

Virtually every single day of my 26 years on this planet has been spent living in a house (either with my family, or girlfriends/friends) constantly filled with cannabis smoke. Whether I choose to indulge or not makes no difference. Outside there are kids who can't be older than 11 or 12 smoking weed and trying to look cool - and I see myself all those years ago. Things are shitty, legalising won't help.
You smoking weed is the fault of the peopel around you; making it legal or keeping it illegal won't change that. If it was legal or illegal you still would have grown around those people.
Finding the dealers and cutting their balls off will.
See, now you are getting somewhere. How do we get rid of the dealers? We can't catch them all. The only way to get rid of the dealers is to legalize it. This will make it much easier to regulate, tax, and make it harder for younf kids to get possesion of it.

No Limit said:
I was just fortunate? I don't think so, all of my friends I still have contact with that smoked weed with me regularly have also given it up.

That's good - and very different to the experiences i've encountered.

Much has to do with when people start taking cannabis - starting in your late teens and having fun for a few years at college is a world of difference to starting at 12-13 and smoking daily into adulthood.

Cannabis is so much more appealing to kids of this age than booze. I remember at school how everyone hated getting drunk, everyone loved getting stoned.

No Limit said:
You might be able to argue the alcohol part but there is no way in hell any rational person would say quiting tobacco is easier than quiting weed; unless you've only been smoking for a very short period. I've seen people on their death bed because of cancer smoking tobacco; you can not show me one case where something like this happens with pot. Once people have to quit weed they do; be it having kids, a new job with drug testing, or whatever.

I smoked tobacco for over 15 years, 20 a day for a decade. Don't ask me why it was so easy in comparison (i'll concede that this isn't the norm though)

No Limit said:
Pot is not seen by anyone as harmless. I have never said pot is harmless. However, many things in this world aren't harmless but still enjoyable and people do it. Should we not drive because driving can be abused? The government legalizing something doesn't say it is approving of it. People are the ones that approve things and something doesn't have to be legal for people to approve it. Cannbis is a classic example of this as society approves it.

Pot is seen as harmless by many people (i've met them, I used to be one).

Should coke be legal? Every new years eve me and various friends would used to indulge. Never experienced any problems and had great times .... and none of us ever dabbled at any other time of the year. The government has to draw a line somewhere - we just disagree where.

The car example is very much a 'if your friends jumped off a cliff .... ' one in my view. Quick and easy transport is a necessity in todays busy world. Smoking weed isn't.

No Limit said:
Youngsters have a much harder time getting alcohol than they do pot. Any kid can go in to their high school and get virtually any drug they want; this is not the case with alcohol as they need friends who are over 21. If weed followed the same rules it would be much harder for young people to get it (not impossible though).

I gather you live in the states. It's very different in the UK. Just as easy to get drugs, but even easier to get alcohol (an 18 age limit doesn't help one bit) We were being served in shops/pubs at 13-15.

No Limit said:
I was talking about rereading the thread because many of the points you rasied have already been brought up (and debunked :) ). I simply don't want to go over another 10 pages arguing the same points.

Fair point however, there have been other threads on this forum on the exact same topic. None of this is new. (I disagree that they have been 'debunked' too ;))

No Limit said:
Some of them don't have a clue. But many people arguing for keeping it illegal have absolutely no clue. I hear stupid things like "oh, if you make drugs legal you are just putting more immoral things out there" coming from people like these.

Agreed - stupid people on both sides.

No Limit said:
You smoking weed is the fault of the peopel around you; making it legal or keeping it illegal won't change that. If it was legal or illegal you still would have grown around those people.

Sure.

However, I think that making it legel (at least in the UK) will result in situations like this becoming more common place (just as growing up in families that all drink heavily is). We can't just replicate they way the dutch handle drugs and expect the same results. The problems are in ours cultures, society, media etc. It's the same with crime in general - why is crime a far greater problem in some countries as opposed to others? The problem isn't so much the laws, but peoples attitudes.

No Limit said:
See, now you are getting somewhere. How do we get rid of the dealers? We can't catch them all. The only way to get rid of the dealers is to legalize it. This will make it much easier to regulate, tax, and make it harder for younf kids to get possesion of it.

That's assuming it will be regulated well. Experience tells me otherwise.

I'm all in favour of prevention through education. In an ideal world we wouldn't need laws to restrict our actions. But it's not. In some cases you have to be realistic, at least in the short term.

Let's compromise - we cut off the dealers nuts and send them to work in camps. The profits this generates can be used on massive education programs for our youth. Then, when they're far better prepared than they are now, we legalise cannabis. Everyone rejoices.

Warbie said:
The car example is very much a 'if your friends jumped off a cliff .... ' one in my view. Quick and easy transport is a necessity in todays busy world. Smoking weed isn't.

I'm not going to address your entire post, since No Limit undoubtedly will and I don't want to disrupt your current debate too much. But I needed to address this.

We don't live our lives purely on necessity. If you don't agree with pot because you don't think we need it, then I guess you can take all your albums, computer games, and videos, put them in a box, and leave them outside for the garbage man to pick up. You don't need those to function, do you?

...Or maybe you do? I think that recreational activities are very necessary if I'm to remain a sane and functioning member of society. So if I want to get a little stoned for some fun in my own home, then why should you care?

I agree with you - but that argument always seems to be nitpicking to me. "shouldwe ban knives because knives can kill ppl"? etc

We have to make a stand somewhere - which is why we have a government in the first place.

What are your views on legalising other drugs? This applies here as well.

Warbie said:
I agree with you - but that argument always seems to be nitpicking to me. "shouldwe ban knives because knives can kill ppl"? etc

We have to make a stand somewhere - which is why we have a government in the first place.

Yes. But I don't think that the line should be drawn here.

The difference between marijuana and harder drugs is that the harder drugs are simply far too dangerous and addictive. Ever seen a heroin addict? I've seen my fair share, and I can tell you right now that going cold turkey is bordering on impossible. Legalized distribution of these substances is not good because you don't want a nation of addicts that are whittling away at the country from the inside. We don't want what happened to China with its opium crisis.

Agreed again.

I guess I see weed as a bigger problem than you - and draw the line there.

Warbie said:

Taking a stand? This doesn't work out as you can't say "oh, we will make pot illegal so we can take a stand somewhere", that kind of argument won't get you anywhere.

That's good - and very different to the experiences i've encountered.

Much has to do with when people start taking cannabis - starting in your late teens and having fun for a few years at college is a world of difference to starting at 12-13 and smoking daily into adulthood.

Cannabis is so much more appealing to kids of this age than booze. I remember at school how everyone hated getting drunk, everyone loved getting stoned.
I agree with you. But you are missing my point; this is the cause of the influances you have in your life. Keeping pot illegal or legal won't change that. You've seen my arguments for how it would help to make smoking weed harder for these people if it were legal, and they are valid here in the states.

Pot is seen as harmless by many people (i've met them, I used to be one).
What kind of an idiot honestly believes puffing smoke is harmless? Sure, you might think it's not a big deal but it surely isn't harmless. That's like those people that sue tobacco companies because they didn't know inhaling smoke was bad for them.
I gather you live in the states. It's very different in the UK. Just as easy to get drugs, but even easier to get alcohol (an 18 age limit doesn't help one bit) We were being served in shops/pubs at 13-15.
I was not aware you lived in Europe. When I lived in Poland I was able to buy alcohol at 8 if I simply said it was for my dad. So you are probably right in that sense. However, here in the states it is much different. Finding alcohol if you are underaged is challange unlike drugs.
However, I think that making it legel (at least in the UK) will result in situations like this becoming more common place (just as growing up in families that all drink heavily is). We can't just replicate they way the dutch handle drugs and expect the same results. The problems are in ours cultures, society, media etc. It's the same with crime in general - why is crime a far greater problem in some countries as opposed to others? The problem isn't so much the laws, but peoples attitudes.
Making something legal does not make it more common. Not sure if you are ware of prohibition of alcohol here in the states in the 30s but that is a fine example of how it doesn't work. Making it illegal didn't do anything to slow down the problem, it just maded it much worse. Instead of companies that give back to the government getting the millions organized crime got that money. And in return we had thousands of people dead from violance. The exact same thing is happening with weed right now.

Should coke be legal? Every new years eve me and various friends would used to indulge. Never experienced any problems and had great times .... and none of us ever dabbled at any other time of the year. The government has to draw a line somewhere - we just disagree where.
This is going to a completely different topic but I will address it shortly. I don't think you will compare the coke and most other drugs with cannabis. I did use coke for a short while so I know it's effects. When people do coke they develop a very dep addiction. Most of the time this leads to crack which makes the problem 1000 times worse. So if you legalize coke you are pretty much legalizing crack. Even if you want to make a comparrison to coke I don't think anyone will be able to do that with crack and cannibis. Do you agree?

Let's just look at the facts. Pot doesn't alter your mental state to a point where can do damage to yourself or others. Pot is much easier to quit than other drugs (including alcohol). And a huge amount of society accepts cannabis and wants it decriminalized.

Now, lets look at the negative effects of keeping cannabis illegal:

Thousands of families suffering because their family members are locked up in jails because of it.

Millions of people have to pay huge fines (which many times put them in a depressed state leading to more drugs). My roomate at one point had to pay around $8,000 for a couple roaches in her ash tray.

Many people remain unemployed or lose their jobs because of drug testing.

Many people are put in to bad financial status because of the current cost of weed. If it were legal this cost would decline greatly.

Billions of dollars are currently going in to the underground economy because of pot.

We are spending billions of our tax money to pay for people locked up in prison for relatively minor drug charges.

If we taxed it we could be making billions to build school, jobs, and many other things. Hell, you can take a small percentage of that and start clinics to help people with drug problems.

I could go on but it's my lunch break and I'm hungry. While I'm out to lunch please provide a list of why it should be kept illegal and I will respon.

I never said I was special shadow6899 - the opposite infact (that's the problem). What tolerance has to do with this either? That's simply a matter how how much and how often you smoke.

The reasons I have for keeping cannabis illegal i've already stated No Limit - mainly due to how attractive it is to children (who would have no interest in other drugs), how easy it is to use daily with no apparant effects (untill it's too late) and because I still believe that many people would see legalisation as a virtual government endorsement. Combine these and you end up with lots of young children getting stoned whenever they want (it'll be easier to get, at least in the uk, and easier to find than ever before)

The area we we disagree upon is how harmful cannabis is. (you agree that coke should reamin illegal based on how obviously harmful it can be. That's also my reason for keeping weed illegal)

From the insane number of articles i've read concerning the adverse health effects of marijuana, I would definitely have to say that it would be immensely more detrimental to one's health to eat a twinky three times a day than it would be to get stoned three times a day (Via non smoking methods)...

The reasons I have for keeping cannabis illegal i've already stated No Limit - mainly due to how attractive it is to children (who would have no interest in other drugs), how easy it is to use daily with no apparant effects (untill it's too late) and because I still believe that many people would see legalisation as a virtual government endorsement. Combine these and you end up with lots of young children getting stoned whenever they want (it'll be easier to get, at least in the uk, and easier to find than ever before)

The area we we disagree upon is how harmful cannabis is. (you agree that coke should reamin illegal based on how obviously harmful it can be. That's also my reason for keeping weed illegal)
No, we don't disagree with how harmful it is ;), I am fully aware of how harmful it is. My reasoning for coke being illegal is not how harmful it is to the individual just as a drug by itself but what it leads people to do. I never heard of anyone robbing someone because they wanted to buy a sack of bud. Yet, I heard many cases when they were trying to score some crack.

But your reasoning is flawed as I pointed out on every occasion and you still haven't addressed. Even if it is legal it would make no difference in how kids obtained the drugs. Obviously they could get it now, are you actually saying it would be easier for them to get it if it were legal? If you are please explain how this would make it easier for kids to get pot.

And as I pointed out and again you didn't address. A government making something legal doesn't mean they are endorsing it. THE PEOPLE ARE ENDORSING weed and you will never change that. Government has nothing to do with it.

No Limit said:
My reasoning for coke being illegal is not how harmful it is to the individual just as a drug by itself but what it leads people to do. I never heard of anyone robbing someone because they wanted to buy a sack of bud. Yet, I heard many cases when they were trying to score some crack.
If crack were legal it would be significantly cheaper, thus causing less drug related crimes.

i jus think the gov. should let the people decide if they want to take drugs or not. if the people want to, make them have tatoos on thier heads saying "drug user" and have "for druggies only" on the benches , lol.

yes im thinking of the jews of WWII. damn nazis

KoreBolteR said:
if the people want to, make them have tatoos on thier heads saying "drug user" and have "for druggies only" on the benches , lol.
The hat im wearing now indicates that i'm a stoner ^_^
Does that count?

Ikerous said:
The hat im wearing now indicates that i'm a stoner ^_^
Does that count?

maybe, but some stupid people may think you throw stones at people and windows for fun :naughty:

Ikerous said:
If crack were legal it would be significantly cheaper, thus causing less drug related crimes.
No, Coke is made using a chemical process. There is no way in hell you would get a corporation to sign off on producing and then distributing crack, let alone find a store that would sell it.

Also, there are many other problems with crack that I don't really want to get in to here; lets just concentrate on cannabis which is the original topic.

No Limit said:
But your reasoning is flawed as I pointed out on every occasion and you still haven't addressed. Even if it is legal it would make no difference in how kids obtained the drugs. Obviously they could get it now, are you actually saying it would be easier for them to get it if it were legal? If you are please explain how this would make it easier for kids to get pot.

Because there are still areas in the UK where ppl, especially the young, can't get weed. This won't be the case when it's legal (just as it is with alcohol)

Many times I was asked by a friend of a friend to pick up for various rich kids. You now the score. Basically anyone who ever had tourble getting cannabis won't anymore.

No Limit said:
And as I pointed out and again you didn't address. A government making something legal doesn't mean they are endorsing it. THE PEOPLE ARE ENDORSING weed and you will never change that. Government has nothing to do with it.

I don't think you're reading what I'm saying. Twice i've said that people will see it as a government endorsement. Of course the goverment aren't endorsing it (that's what i've said every time ;))

Warbie said:
Because there are still areas in the UK where ppl, especially the young, can't get weed. This won't be the case when it's legal (just as it is with alcohol)

Many times I was asked by a friend of a friend to pick up for various rich kids. ;))

i agree with you.
but when you say " various rich kids", i have too disagree.

there is about 40;10 from medium/working class: upper.

and plus, only 20%or so in the uk are upper class, even less.

Many times I was asked by a friend of a friend to pick up for various rich kids. You now the score. Basically anyone who ever had tourble getting cannabis won't anymore.
I don't know how it is in the UK but if it is anything like the US then you can get weed everywhere. What areas can't you get it at?
Let me ask you, what does a kid in the UK have to do to get alcohol? Does he just go up to a liquor store and purchase alcohol.
I don't think you're reading what I'm saying. Twice i've said that people will see it as a government endorsement. Of course the goverment aren't endorsing it (that's what i've said every time )
Ok, so lets break this down. Your reasoning for not allowing millions of people to smoke in peace is because SOME people MIGHT think the government is endorsing weed (even if they run many anti drug ads) and because SOME kids MIGHT find it easier to get weed (I still disagree with this but lets just leave it for now). These reason completely overshadow the following reasons:

Thousands of families suffering because their family members are locked up in jails because of it.

Millions of people have to pay huge fines (which many times put them in a depressed state leading to more drugs). My roomate at one point had to pay around $8,000 for a couple roaches in her ash tray.

Many people remain unemployed or lose their jobs because of drug testing.

Many people are put in to bad financial status because of the current cost of weed. If it were legal this cost would decline greatly.

Billions of dollars are currently going in to the underground economy because of pot.

We are spending billions of our tax money to pay for people locked up in prison for relatively minor drug charges.

If we taxed it we could be making billions to build school, jobs, and many other things. Hell, you can take a small percentage of that and start clinics to help people with drug problems.

Well, just want to chime in on this discussion.
kirovman said:
No, because I don't like how normal people behave when they take it, and the smell is sickly. And the smoke is invasive, like tabacco smoke. I don't want to smell smoke, tabacco or weed, it makes me feel physically sick.
Well, that's you. I find the smell of tobacco amoke occasionally pleasant. I'm not a tobacco smoker (1 cig... ever), and oppose it as a habit. I do like the smell of weed as well. You know what I dislike... Perfume. Body sprays. Obnoxious and disgusting. They make me sneeze, some of em. So we should illegalize 'em.

If that sounds silly, of course, it is. Smokers, at least, are already relegated to out-of-doors in most places. Where I used to work, they had to be at least 100 feet from the entrance. A little smoke 100 feet away across a parking lot, well if that's a problem, it's your problem.
AFAIK, ther are no studies documenting the ill effects of second hand cannabis (and only cannabis) smoke in open air situations. And unless you are a hotboxing non-smoker, then a second-hand high is purely a myth.
Warbie said:
However, I think that making it legel (at least in the UK) will result in situations like this becoming more common place (just as growing up in families that all drink heavily is).
IMO, that is total baloney. [[ok, I didn't ever see the UK part. I doubt it all that different from here. Gutless politicians would never make a legal age as low as 18, anyway (only Canada would even suggest such a thing ;) :D) ]]
burner69 said:
g) No positive effects on society?
* Stoners make great music - Bob Marley, Jimi Hendrix, Beatles, Beach boys, rolling stones etc etc.
* Hemp can be used as cheap biodegradable packaging
* Hemp can be used to make rope
* Hemp can be used to make clothes
* Hemp can be used as a wood substitute.
* Hemp can be used as a CO2 free biodegradable fuel
* Hemp can be used to make a cheap, environmentally safe oil substitute
* Hemp can be used to make a cheap, cleaner car fuel.
* Hemp can be used in a variety of ways in the medical world.
* Cannabis is enjoyable to smoke, and while I'm sitting in with a joint and some friends, I'm not getting p*ssed down the pub with my mates, then smashing a window or getting into a fight on the way home.

So yeah; smoking weed isn't good for you. It's not especially bad for you short term (that's from experience and government reports) but can begin having effects if done long term (again, from experience and government reports). But if there are these problems with it, surely legilisation is the key, it give the government control, rather than the dealers, and makes it easier with people with problems to seek help. It makes it easier for proper warnings to be displayed about the dangers, not this "Drugs are just bad, say no" nonsense.
Not to mention the medical benefits. Marijuana has been quite beneficial in treatment of cancer and aids, Multiple Sclerosis, glaucomo, some forms of peripheral neropathy, and cannabinoids (the class of chemicals that are the active ingrediants in cannabis) show significant promise in treating everything from mental illnesss to nerve disorders, or as painkillers. Currently, any research in the US, on marijuana or any of it's natural constituants, must be done with federally aproved 2.something percent THC NIH cannabis. This is lower than the country average for street product. I probably have some 10%. I could probably get some 20%. And highly beneficial drug development efforts are forced to use NIH's crap. Bah. A bit OT.
No Limit said:
I will testify to that. Alcohol was fairly tough to get ahold of where I grew up. When I had it, I saved it up for a good time out, because I knew it would be a while till I had it again.
Pot, on the other hand. I walked in to my first class on day, and sat down. Kid next to me said "Wanna buy an eighth?" I said "Sure." we went to the bathroom at lunch, $40 later, I had my stuff. I knew at least 10 people in high school I could have done this with. Alcohol, I knew two people who had older brothers that would buy them drink, and 1 guy with a fake ID. Either way it was a hassle. [[Ah, I missed the part on the UK/US differences about that. Well, I can say little about the UK situation, obviously.
Warbie said:
...a world of difference to starting at 12-13 and smoking daily into adulthood.
Yes indeed it is. That's what legalization would help reduce.
Should coke be legal?
Well... if you ask me... :rolleyes: I've never used that particular drug, but I know the stories, and again, look at Holland. You can go to places and get Coke, Heroin, etc... from the government. IIRC, they have seen reductions in drug-related crime, overdoses, etc.
Quick and easy transport is a necessity in todays busy world. Smoking weed isn't.
A shaky premise. Let's also require that all cars get at least 40 miles per gallon. Seriously, most of the economy is based on people aquiring things they don't 'need'.
Agreed - stupid people on both sides.
indeed. There are stupid people everywhere. people huff gasoline. Really, stupidity does not invalidate arguments.
However, I think that making it legel (at least in the UK) will result in situations like this becoming more common place (just as growing up in families that all drink heavily is).
Yes, but this is purely conjecture. There is no hard evidence to support that. Obviously, there is no hard evidence to support that it wouldn't, either. So, for fear of change, let's keep it as it is. :rolleyes:
I would argue that there is pretty damn good evidence that the way it is now is not working very well.
Ikerous said:
From the insane number of articles i've read concerning the adverse health effects of marijuana, I would definitely have to say that it would be immensely more detrimental to one's health to eat a twinky three times a day than it would be to get stoned three times a day (Via non smoking methods)...
:LOL: Well said.

Let's ban twinkies. ;)
No Limit said:
No, Coke is made using a chemical process. There is no way in hell you would get a corporation to sign off on producing and then distributing crack, let alone find a store that would sell it.

Also, there are many other problems with crack that I don't really want to get in to here; lets just concentrate on cannabis which is the original topic.
Point taken. But, the issue with coke and similar narcotic substances is 'harm reduction'. I'm a bit more ambivalent to the idea then cannabis issues, but it makes sense to me.
Warbie said:
Again, I have to say, I believe the opposite to be true. Unless the methods of legalization and regulation, or the general attitude toward such laws are quite different than in the US.
yadaloga said:
Hahaha addicted to weed! Good one.
Hmmm. Yes. Well, physically addictive, no... Cannabis was rated on a scale of 0-4 on the scale of physical addictiveness, as a zero. Withdrawl symptoms are shown to exist.... For about 48 hours. then they are gone.
Psychological addiction is possible. I must admit, I'm psychologically addicted... to cheese. If we have cheese in the house, I will eat that cheese.
OMG. cheese has fat. fat causes obesity. obesity is the largest health threat facing the US, according to the surgeon general. Let's illegalize cheese!
No, wait. Nevermind, I just won't buy it. Free country, I can do that if I want to.

Anyway. Here I am. First smoked at 16. Not addicted, not a gateway, most it's done to me is take away about 4 hours of time I'd waste anyway, twice a week at maximum. Unless I get arrested, and them I'm just a bit ****ed. Well, that's fair, right? :rolleyes: I'm gonna go before people start saying "well, you would deserve it if you did" bullshit.

Keep up the good fight folks.

Phisionary said:
If that sounds silly, of course, it is. Smokers, at least, are already relegated to out-of-doors in most places. Where I used to work, they had to be at least 100 feet from the entrance. A little smoke 100 feet away across a parking lot, well if that's a problem, it's your problem.

Not in the UK.

It's rare to find a nightclub where your lungs don't feel like they've been through a cheesegrater.
And when you get up the next day, your pillow smells of smoke from your hair, your clothes need washing and you cough up nasty coloured phelm. And I don't smoke. So if I want to go out I have to go through that every time.

People smoking outside isn't so bad, I can put up with that.
And living in uni, loads of people smoke weed, so when you share a house with them, you have to shut your door just to make sure your things don't stink of gange. Of course it's too difficult for them to go outside to smoke it :rolleyes:

[rant]Anyway I hate to see people enjoying themselves, that's why I hate christmas so much. More oppression I say, teach them proles a lesson they won't forget.[/rant] :LOL:

Warbie said:

I don't think you're reading what I'm saying. Twice i've said that people will see it as a government endorsement. Of course the goverment aren't endorsing it (that's what i've said every time ;))

Rich kids. Key word "kids". Won't be able to pick up anymore - there'd be such thing as age restrictions preventing that. Sure, some could get an older bro to do it, but with them limiting out how much they sell each time (In holland it's about an eighth) the older bro won't be able to buy any himself then :( And also getting an older bro to get it is much more of a hassle than just ringing your dealer and picking up.

Secondly, with legilisation cannabis would be subjected to the same warnings as on fag packets. "Extended use of Cannabis may cause schitsophrenia" "Smoking causes cancer". Also, now it's legal some warnings could disappear from the world of weed - you wouldn't have "This skanky soap bar contains melted plastic to increase our profit and fu*k your lungs up" The quality would be better, and some health effects reduced because of it.
Of course if other drugs were legalised we see much less ODing, which are primarily caused by the drugs being cut - but that's a different story.

And I'd really like to speak to anybody who doesn't smoke dope now, but as soon as it's in the shops, covered in all the warnings they knew about before hand, would just start smoking it. What kind of person does that? Some people do drugs, some do not. That's the way of the world.

kirovman said:
Not in the UK.

It's rare to find a nightclub where your lungs don't feel like they've been through a cheesegrater.
And when you get up the next day, your pillow smells of smoke from your hair, your clothes need washing and you cough up nasty coloured phelm. And I don't smoke. So if I want to go out I have to go through that every time.

People smoking outside isn't so bad, I can put up with that.
And living in uni, loads of people smoke weed, so when you share a house with them, you have to shut your door just to make sure your things don't stink of gange. Of course it's too difficult for them to go outside to smoke it :rolleyes:

[rant]Anyway I hate to see people enjoying themselves, that's why I hate christmas so much. More oppression I say, teach them proles a lesson they won't forget.[/rant] :LOL:

By the way, legilisation would help reduce your smokey halls. Give them a coffee shop to go and toke in, they won't be inside filling it with smoke so much.
And I know what you mean about nightclubs, I just pussied out and started smoking :p but I think if they put some money into ventilation it'd be far less of a problem.

I smoke a lot of weed. I voted no. If its legal the governments will tax the fuc|< out of it and have yet more money to piss up the walls. No way. Im happy buying it off mates who grow the high grade so they can pay their rent. Not funding idiots in suits that dont do what we want anyway.

Decriminalise possesion maybe, made legal no thanks.

burner69 said:
Rich kids. Key word "kids". Won't be able to pick up anymore - there'd be such thing as age restrictions preventing that.

That's never worked for alcohol or ciagarettes in the UK - I don't see why it would for weed.

burner69 said:
Sure, some could get an older bro to do it, but with them limiting out how much they sell each time (In holland it's about an eighth) the older bro won't be able to buy any himself then :( And also getting an older bro to get it is much more of a hassle than just ringing your dealer and picking up.

Most teenagers will be able to walk into a shop and buy cannabis, fullstop. If not, as you said, there's plenty of 18 year olds (which will be the age limit in the UK) around to pick up for them. I doubt there will be a limit on how much you can buy. Again, that rarely worked in Hollland (and even when it did, how hard is it to stagger to the next coffe shop?).

burner69 said:
Secondly, with legilisation cannabis would be subjected to the same warnings as on fag packets. "Extended use of Cannabis may cause schitsophrenia" "Smoking causes cancer". Also, now it's legal some warnings could disappear from the world of weed - you wouldn't have "This skanky soap bar contains melted plastic to increase our profit and fu*k your lungs up"

Sure. While definatley better, it doesn't make me feel much more at ease. Not when I can look out the window at any time and see kids smoking cigarettes who should be playing pokemon/conkers/army.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back