Magazine coverage of HL2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year the US pc gamer had the HL2 stuff a month before the UK pc gamer, so u may be right spiffae

Last year, PC Zone was the first magazine to break the news of the existence of Half-Life 2, and this year we've done it again. We were flown out to America, where we were met, blindfolded and rushed, in secrecy, to the headquarters of Valve Software. There we were led, blinking, to a PC and let loose on a copy of the game the whole world's been waiting to play.
Despite the fact that we swore blind never to tell anyone about what we'd seen, we lied, and in the next issue of PC Zone we're going to spill every last drop of information.

Expect an exclusive playtest (no other magazine in the UK has played the game - guaranteed), brand new screenshots, and all the questions you've got answered across a massive 10-page preview. Quite frankly, we think you'd be mad to miss out.

And remember, no other magazine in the UK can reveal any of this new information before us. We're on the shelves on April 29, so start forming an orderly queue and beware of imitators. PC Zone is the only mag with the new information and screenshots.

PC Zone
On-sale April 29.

vortal_pic_121489.jpg

Theoreticly PC Zone are telling the truth there, they will be the first magazine in the UK to have this preview on the shelves, its likely the US will get it on the 16th in there PC Gamer.

ok. well, i'll get PC Gamer US on the 16th and send you all the scans. I can never keep it straight who's from the UK and who's from the US. it might help if i looked at the Location: area.

:)

Spiffae said:
ok. well, i'll get PC Gamer US on the 16th and send you all the scans. I can never keep it straight who's from the UK and who's from the US. it might help if i looked at the Location: area.

:)

I doubt US will have anything different from the UK.

Abom, it usually does. My PC Gamer came a while ago saying June 2004 tath it will have new HL2 info. I am so confused. Are we talking about May 2004 or June? :|

New info and screenshots for at least some of those magazines should be out this April very soon, because they will lose their advantage of attracting readers after E3 in May, when everybody will be reporting on Half-Life2

ray_MAN said:
Abom, it usually does. My PC Gamer came a while ago saying June 2004 tath it will have new HL2 info. I am so confused. Are we talking about May 2004 or June? :|

The May edition of PC Gamer out in the UK is released on April 15th, but I got it earlier because I subscribe. The way I think it is in the US is that your next-coming edition is this June edition, which also comes out at around 15th/16th April, and by my predictions will have the same information that the May UK one does.

the infomation in your may UK edition, and the claim about the june issue, are both in the last issue of the US PC Gamer, the issue they claim to have the preview in is out on the 16th, i think us brits are lagging behind one issue, when the hl2 preview last year came out in the US PC Gamer, it was a whole month before PC Zone and PC Gamer UK braught out the preview.

Either way, the 10 page PC Zone preview is due on the 29th.

Slightly off topic:

The June issue of the US PC Gamer is coming out this Month? What's the point of having issues with dates on if they are just going to be two months off? It's bad enough that Mags are usually one month off. And is it going to keep drifting?

Year 2009: "Wow, PC Gamer US says that they have a preview of Half-Life 3. It's out in the December issue which goes onsale on 20th of June".

its not the june issue, its the may issue, the UK PC Gamer is handle seperately here, and our content is 1 month behind.

At least it seems that way

Acctully I just checked, Last year the PC Gamer US preview of Half-life 2, came out a month before E3 (which was mid may) but the magazine is clearly marked as the June issue, rofl, its so messed up.

Lobster said:
its not the june issue, its the may issue, the UK PC Gamer is handle seperately here, and our content is 1 month behind.

At least it seems that way

I refer to Spiffae's quote.

Spiffae said:
That should be in stores the 16th of april. i'm pretty sure that PC Gamer US is two months ahead (e.g. the June issue comes out in april) the "may" issue has been in my local news stand for a while. the next issue comes out on the 16th of the month.

See? The June Issues of the US PC Gamer is out this month.

And PC Gamer UK isn't always a month behind, just this once.

Abom said:
The May edition of PC Gamer out in the UK is released on April 15th, but I got it earlier because I subscribe. The way I think it is in the US is that your next-coming edition is this June edition, which also comes out at around 15th/16th April, and by my predictions will have the same information that the May UK one does.

ok, glad we're clear on that. my wager is that the JUNE issue of PC Gamer US will be on store shelves around April 16th, and will have the first exclusive new HL2 info. I will upload a picture of the "in the next issue" section when i get back to my home comp. That makes sense to me (though it sucks for you UK subscribers) because PC Zone UK keeps going on about how on april 29th, they will have the first new HL2 info in the UK, which leads me to believe that we dirty american dogs will have our info a wee bit earlier.

I hope i'm right, i may be wrong, either way, we'll be sharing scans.

Respect to anyone who posts scans, I am too lazy to go out and buy a copy. :)

This is going to be cool, what could be better than the tales of a magazine that played hl2!? :D

That would be cool again, just like the old days, drooling over some blurry vague scans of HL2.... :cheers:

I have a PC Gamer subscription, and I always get pissed, because I get my mag a week late everytime! DAHH!!!! I'll kill I say, I'll kill!

Man, I was looking forward to new infor and screens tooooo....

edit::: lol, io joined september of last year, and i only have 13 posts, wewt!!!

I hope u know the information in it is old as hell. They have do these thing 4 months or so in advance. So, we might get to hear exactly what was going on after Valve went quite after september!! WOOT

Do they have a seceret forums section here for all of the super loyal fans that have been here since the beggining?

coolio2man said:
I hope u know the information in it is old as hell. They have do these thing 4 months or so in advance. So, we might get to hear exactly what was going on after Valve went quite after september!! WOOT

I really doubt it's four months, Journalists aren't that slow.

Sorry to burst people's bubbles but unfortunately we can't allow scans of copyrighted material on the forums. When the magazines do arrive please distribute them privately between yourselves and then discuss the content here or buy a copy of the magazines :)

I'm looking forward to some new info :D

Picture scans we could get away with, just no text please.

We can't put pictures up either, not if they're exclusive.

Munro said:
We can't put pictures up either, not if they're exclusive.

No-one seemed to care when we did it in the past.

Abom said:
No-one seemed to care when we did it in the past.
i wasn't planning on uploading scans to the forums... the last thing we want is hl2.net getting in trouble :).

there's a little thing called IRC. and on IRC there's a little thing called DCC. I remember last may, we were sharing the scans of the 15 page PC gamer insert over IRC. Oh, the good old days.

Bet theres absolutely nothing new in the pictures

the games mag companys were probably given a TECH DEMO LEVEL to play

Well, all I know is that some dude from PC PowerPlay here in Australia is taking a trip to VALVe to have a bash at HL2...

kevin the mag they are talking about hasnt come out yet, the actual new stuff wont be around till late this month (gonna be a busy May) its nothing unusual, games often promote themselves around E3, Valve did the exact same thing last year with the press embargo, they wouldnt fly people out there to play the exact same preview, lets just wait and see, april 25th i think somone said for the pc zone subscribers.

Im pretty sure PC Gamer and PC Zone are simply the only ones to have admitted it yet, but i believe other magazines and review sites will recieve the same info within the next month.

"NEXT MONTH! - The wait is almost over...

Maybe they are referring to the release date? Could be ;)

Sorry, for my english

I pray day and night the UK PC Zone will be in some store here in sweden.

How much is the magazine in CDN?
I'll just rip the 10 pages and buy them seperately.
...Or hope that these images get famously leaked on the internet:)

Tredoslop said:
How much is the magazine in CDN?
I'll just rip the 10 pages and buy them seperately.
...Or hope that these images get famously leaked on the internet:)

im sure its like 9.99 with tax itll be like 12 bux so its all cool,

and yay my birthday is in may, im so 1337 cause im in the busiest month of the year lolzzz11211!! :bounce:

Spiffae said:
i wasn't planning on uploading scans to the forums... the last thing we want is hl2.net getting in trouble :).

there's a little thing called IRC. and on IRC there's a little thing called DCC. I remember last may, we were sharing the scans of the 15 page PC gamer insert over IRC. Oh, the good old days.

Oh oh, get me into that act ;)

PvtRyan said:
The silence will finally be broken this month, when PC Zone comes with a hands on preview of HL2 on April 29th. From what I understand, PC Gamer will have it's mag out on april 15th, but it's unsure whether they have the playtest of HL2 too.
But take all claims of PC Zone of 'the first magazine to playtest HL2' and it's exclusiveness with a truckload of salt. Wasn't PC Gamer the first magazine back in 2003 to have a HL2 preview, or was that Edge?

So discuss it here :)

It was PC Zone to first anounce Hl2.

and PC gamers lied in every major review/preview this year.

actualy check this post i made says what i think of PC gamer (although this months Wh40k dawn of war 6 page preview was the dogs knackers)

http://www.gamershell.com/bb_invision/index.php?act=ST&f=16&t=5273&

Dougy said:
It was PC Zone to first anounce Hl2.

and PC gamers lied in every major review/preview this year.

actualy check this post i made says what i think of PC gamer (although this months Wh40k dawn of war 6 page preview was the dogs knackers)

http://www.gamershell.com/bb_invision/index.php?act=ST&f=16&t=5273&

umm, i'm guessing you're the one complaining about PC gamer lying in that inane gamershell chat? so are we talking about PC Gamer UK? I'm talking about PC Gamer US. And they've "lied" in every major review/preview? EVERY one? or did they make mistakes in the BF:V review and the Rome: Total war preview?

Either way, what does it matter?

Spiffae said:
umm, i'm guessing you're the one complaining about PC gamer lying in that inane gamershell chat? so are we talking about PC Gamer UK? I'm talking about PC Gamer US. And they've "lied" in every major review/preview? EVERY one? or did they make mistakes in the BF:V review and the Rome: Total war preview?

Either way, what does it matter?

Uk version.

It means that PC gamer (Uk) statements like "truth revealed" etc... should be taken with a massive pinch of salt.

Where as PC zone have yet to lie in any of their reviews ive read.

my post was in responce to a person trusting gamer more than zone.

Jeez people argue about everything these days lol, in the end all these different magazines do is rehash and retell the same info that valve have given them, nothing to get pissed about, lets just wait and see :)

Let's not turn this into a big fight about which magazine is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back