Magazine coverage of HL2

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, i let this thread cool down a bit :)

I'll be checking the news shops these next few days... i'm determined to be the one who gets sued by PC Gamer for sharing scans over IRC :)

I've only ever bought 2 PC Zones. The first one i bought was

August 1993 - With a review of Syndicate got a score of 90. "Incredibly violent, completely amoral and brilliant fun". Oh how right they were!

I also have a October 1994 issue with a review of Under a Killing moon in their "cd-rom review" section.

This is amazing stuff :)

Well I do remember PC Gamer hyping up Red Faction. I remember they said that they "expect Red Faction to be as good as HL2", now this was back in 2001 before anything on HL2 was revealed, also Red Faction sucked balls

i think red faction (1) is better than hl1:( but hl2 will smash red faction 2

Sparta said:
Well I do remember PC Gamer hyping up Red Faction. I remember they said that they "expect Red Faction to be as good as HL2", now this was back in 2001 before anything on HL2 was revealed, also Red Faction sucked balls

Well, at least they gave it a mediocre score in the end. Many magazines will hype awful games, then trash them at the actual review. I've only rarely seen game previews where a company will instantly say if it's good or bad.

Does anyone know if PC Zone is exported to Australia??

I dont know if anyone has mentioned this yet but in the PCGamer magazine, on the last page it says,

"NEXT MONTH JUNE 2004
Remember that little game called Half Life 2 that has thew entire games industry abuzz? Guess who got to play it first? We've got the story on how the blistering gameplay is shaping up as our grizzled editors return shellshocked from their experience in Gordon's shoes. Only PCGamer can tell you how it really plays. And what a review bonus next month - Battlefield Vietnam, Unreal Tournment 2004, Far Cry, and Rainbow Six: Athena Sword lead the way as some great gaming heads to your PC, making up for this month's sorry sack of sh..."

Well there you have it, strait from PCGamer. Watch out for their preview of Half Life 2 comming out in June.

Hope that cleared up some confusion.

csmighty, thanks for posting that, but that's old news from about two weeks ago.

we're talking about the integrity of PC Gamer UK. what you're quoting is PC Gamer US, and they will most likely have new material this week.

Spiffae said:
csmighty, thanks for posting that, but that's old news from about two weeks ago.

we're talking about the integrity of PC Gamer UK. what you're quoting is PC Gamer US, and they will most likely have new material this week.

I really hope so.. I vannttt media!!!!!1111111111111 and game info.. and first thoughts!

shuzer, i'll be checking stores starting tomorrow every day this week. I'll have scans up on IRC ASAP.

csmighty1 said:
"NEXT MONTH JUNE 2004
Remember that little game called Half Life 2 that has thew entire games industry abuzz? Guess who got to play it first? We've got the story on how the blistering gameplay is shaping up as our grizzled editors return shellshocked from their experience in Gordon's shoes. Only PCGamer can tell you how it really plays. And what a review bonus next month - Battlefield Vietnam, Unreal Tournment 2004, Far Cry, and Rainbow Six: Athena Sword lead the way as some great gaming heads to your PC, making up for this month's sorry sack of sh..."

You see, this is what worries me... the PC Gamer that came out in the UK a few days ago which had no new information had reviews of Unreal Tournament 2004 and Rainbox Six: Athena Sword. This leads me to believe that their Half-Life 2 information may be exactly the same as what was in the UK version.

Abom said:
You see, this is what worries me... the PC Gamer that came out in the UK a few days ago which had no new information had reviews of Unreal Tournament 2004 and Rainbox Six: Athena Sword. This leads me to believe that their Half-Life 2 information may be exactly the same as what was in the UK version.
Are you a subscriber and thus getting the issue early? My question being: Have you just got the issue that was claimed to have had HL2 previewed in it? I'm guessing yes...

Spiffae said:
shuzer, i'll be checking stores starting tomorrow every day this week. I'll have scans up on IRC ASAP.

And exactly where on IRC will this... information become available?

I'm completely new to IRC, I only use it occasionally (like when this site went down). So I don't know anything about finding stuff. Feel free to enlighten me. :cheese:

If every one sees Pc gamer ( UK ) as utter gits for not printing what they said they were going to, Email them on mass and that surley will get a responce from them.!

Also in what ever issue they said they were going to print new HL2 screens/ info or what ever.....
And havent come up with the goods for what ever reason.?
isnt that false advertising.!
make all the kiddies go out and spend there paper round money for no good reason.?

if this is acctualy the case they need a bit of a slap.!

jabber IRC info
you need quakenet uk
#halflife2

lol damn PC Gamer for having such screwed up changes between there magazines, anyway at least the PC Zone one is pretty clear when and where they intend to release there preview.

In a little tiny note update thingy, the vivendi product page for HL2 has had a microscopic change:

http://www.sierra.com/product.do?gamePlatformId=470

Abom said:

The only reason I am thinking we may have information this week is that last year the US Magazines had info a few weeks before the UK mags.

I'm hoping for a repeat performance.

Lobster said:
lol damn PC Gamer for having such screwed up changes between there magazines, anyway at least the PC Zone one is pretty clear when and where they intend to release there preview.

In a little tiny note update thingy, the vivendi product page for HL2 has had a microscopic change:

http://www.sierra.com/product.do?gamePlatformId=470

Whats the change,I havent been on that at all.Though I must say the box art looks good.

so far, no luck today... i've got one more store to check on my way home.

maybe tomorrow.

i believe Abom is on the job... not sure though. some of the mods, anyhow.

i was told by two stores that they have "no idea" when magazines come in. aparently they get a big bin of magazines in the morning, and they put them up right away. in most cases, aparently, it's an orange bin. seriously, two different people at two different stores told me that :)

tomorrow is gonna be a good day... i hope.

Spiffae said:

i was told by two stores that they have "no idea" when magazines come in. aparently they get a big bin of magazines in the morning, and they put them up right away. in most cases, aparently, it's an orange bin. seriously, two different people at two different stores told me that :)

tomorrow shall be an orange day full of orange magazine bin hunting and missing textures replaced by orange!

i should be getting my PC Gamer tomorrow in the mail... just hope... and hope... and hope... maybe a... date? :O or MP rundown

EDIT: w00t! 2000th post! i'm an official post whore!

thehunter1320 said:
tomorrow shall be an orange day full of orange magazine bin hunting and missing textures replaced by orange!

i should be getting my PC Gamer tomorrow in the mail... just hope... and hope... and hope... maybe a... date? :O or MP rundown

EDIT: w00t! 2000th post! i'm an official post whore!

do you have a scanner? if you don't, and you do get your magazine, don't tell us. it will make us too upset

sweet dreams ;)

yeah, i mean i could get the mag but id have to go into town 5 miles away cos my local store doesnt sell PC mags....

Scan it in somebody!

Spiffae said:

Yeah, while I don't subscribe to PC Zone, I'll be picking it up anyway just to see what they've got... if it has anything good, I'll scan and distribute on IRC or something.

What's the word: nothing today? I thought it wasn't out in the states till the 16th anyway, and the 23rd in the UK.

Apos said:
What's the word: nothing today? I thought it wasn't out in the states till the 16th anyway, and the 23rd in the UK.

Isnt that pc gamer, which wont have the preview?

The Gamer is the 16th in the US, and Zone should be out around the 23rd in the UK.

Abom said:
The Gamer is the 16th in the US, and Zone should be out around the 23rd in the UK.

so is pc gamer going to have the "hands on" preview?

Cutey_Kaite said:
so is pc gamer going to have the "hands on" preview?

We don't know, Spiffae is trying to get hold of a copy ASAP though.

Abom said:
We don't know, Spiffae is trying to get hold of a copy ASAP though.

dont ppl who subscribe get it early though, like 2 days or something?

Cutey_Kaite said:
dont ppl who subscribe get it early though, like 2 days or something?

Well, I subscribe to PC Gamer UK and I get it about a week early, don't know what it's like in the US though... seeming that we've heard nothing so far, it either means that a) No-one's got it yet, or b) There's nothing worth talking about in it.

el Chi said:
Why is Spiffae on ze cutting edge?

Well, he's the only American on these forums that I've seen trying to get ahold of a copy so far.

Is that dreadful Donald guy still ed of PCG? I want Matt Pierce back. :(

Varsity said:
Is that dreadful Donald guy still ed of PCG? I want Matt Pierce back. :(

Afraid so. Yeah, Matt Pierce was great... I still want Keiron to be editor though ;)

I thought Keroin left. I really need to buy the mag more often.

lol, Keiron was a kewl guy...pitty I dont buy PCG anymore now i'm on BB, I used to get it for the discs most times ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back