Man arrested for humping American Flag

I don't give a shit about what people protest. You burn the flag, you're burning the symbol of your country, your people's heritage, it's culture, and the freedoms it stands for. You're basically saying: "I hate my country! Come beat me up with electric batons!"

Congratulations and shake my hand, you just said something stupid!

It should be illegal to be an idiot. :p

I agree. It'd certainly get you off the streets.

I don't give a shit about what people protest.

now, now Numbers lets be honest here:

"Civil Disobedience is Still Disobedience" - Numbers

You burn the flag, you're burning the symbol of your country, your people's heritage, it's culture, and the freedoms it stands for. You're basically saying: "I hate my country! Come beat me up with electric batons!"

does that apply to your cousins in NK burning this flag?

korean-flag.jpg

you're not being hypocritical again are you? nooo, that just cant be

imho you're just as much a traitor to your country if you accept it unconditionally ..a patriot loves his country but is also watchful that those in power dont overstep their authority ...in this sense Numbers you are not a patriot, you're a patriot in name only ..any fool can wave a flag, it takes someone with intestinal fortitude to fight through flag waving fools and see the nation as it truely is: warts and all

Kerberos, for all your talk about the "ill-rational", you yourself have thus far failed to be a champion of rational values. You want somebody else to be punished because of the personal value that you bestow on a piece of colored cloth. Your rationale? "It hurts peoples' feelings." The same rationale can be used to justify punishing... well, anybody. In a country where we value the free and open exchange of ideas, it is inevitable that people will take offense. If there was no such thing as offensive or controversial speech, we wouldn't have laws to protect such material in the fist place, now would we?

You are, at best, a proponent of draconian law. You want to single out and target one particular kind of offensive image out of all the rest because somehow that just goes one step too far. And yet you and others like you (like Uriel) have thus far failed to supply a justification beyond slippery slopes into anarchy and vague, obtuse ideas about honoring forefathers or some other petty, meaningless bit of rhetoric. You've done nothing but craft a double standard.

In the meantime, you waste your time calling people anarchists despite their explicit statements that they wouldn't personally burn the flag, as they simply support the right of people to do so. Sinkoman has been a better supporter of liberty and freedom than you have been throughout this entire topic.

Once again.

A LOT OF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH WHAT A FLAG REPRESENTS OR SYMBOLIZES, BUT HAVE THE RESPECT FOR PEOPLE THAT IT MAY BE IMPORTANT TO THEM. THERE ARE BETTER WAYS TO MAKE A STATEMENT ABOUT YOUR OPINION THAN OFFENDING PEOPLE. YOU WANT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY, THEN DO IT WITH A LEVEL HEAD AND TRY TALKING. SHOW YOU'RE SOMEWHAT SANE.

Let's put this in video game perspective, k?
I go onto the Halo Fan Boy forums and post of video of me burning a poster of Halo, or anything else that represents Halo. Now Halo is just a video game, however, you would see trolling up the zipper. But it's a video game? Well when people see a burning (or degrading act) of whatever that object symbolizes that they care about, you will get a backlash, because it makes the statement, "I hate this, it should be destroyed".

It doesn't make the statement of "oh, maybe they should of put more variety of bad guys in the game" or "why'd they make everything too damn colorful, more neutral colors please" or whatever gripes someone may have. It simply represents the entire destruction of what the object symbolizes.

Retarded comparison, I thought maybe if I used a video game some people would understand better (because this is hl2.net).

Once again.

A LOT OF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH WHAT A FLAG REPRESENTS OR SYMBOLIZES, BUT HAVE THE RESPECT FOR PEOPLE THAT IT MAY BE IMPORTANT TO THEM. THERE ARE BETTER WAYS TO MAKE A STATEMENT ABOUT YOUR OPINION THAN OFFENDING PEOPLE. YOU WANT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY, THEN DO IT WITH A LEVEL HEAD AND TRY TALKING. SHOW YOU'RE SOMEWHAT SANE.

you mean like how certain groups respect others for their lifestyle choices? like abortion, same sex marriage etc? or perhaps how they respect other peoples beliefs by trying to force fairy tales down people's throats?

walk the walk and talk the talk ..all else is just lip service.

Once again.

A flag? Important? Ho-ho-ho. I'm sorry, but this kind of retardism is worth offending. I find it exceedingly difficult not to offend that kind of thing, because it is of the utmost stupid.

I love how most threads in Off-Topic these days turn into bastardised, politically orientated quote wars. Usual suspects of course....

Politics on a gaming forum is like trying to teach algebra to group of bikers; No one listens, insults fly and a big fat padlock gets thrown in your direction. God I love metaphors.

Better idea: You stop giving a shit about what I do with my own property in my own time. Unless I'm lighting the flag to throw molotov cocktails on your lawn, why should you care?

You're still holding onto this stupid idea that people are legally obligated to be reasonable. Not only is this unacceptably authoritarian, but it's clearly not tenable when considering the hundreds of other intellectually indefensible ideas held in US society. I think your religious faith is insane. I find it condescending and offensive. Do I have any right to handcuff you because our views don't mesh?

(I am not trying to provoke a religious debate with the last comment. But I do believe it demonstrates my point effectively.)

Better idea:

You stop giving a shit about what I do with my own property in my own time.

You're joking right?
He burned the flag so people WOULD GIVE A SHIT. That was his aim, to offend people.

You're joking right?
He burned the flag so people WOULD GIVE A SHIT. That was his aim, to offend people.

... and? People who don't like it can "turn the other cheek" (haha, see what I did there?!).

You're joking right?

As PvtRyan said, you can choose not to pay attention to him. He should be punished for public indecency at the most. Makes no difference if he rubbed his groin with the American flag or a teddy bear.

You're joking right?

Again, like it has been stated, ignore him. Take away the power his statement has. That's really the best thing you can do.

Brb, off to summer school D:

Congratulations and shake my hand, you just said something stupid!

Yeah! Do I get a prize? :D

I agree. It'd certainly get you off the streets.

SEE? PEOPLE AGREE WITH ME!

wait.....

now, now Numbers lets be honest here:

"Civil Disobedience is Still Disobedience" - Numbers

kk.

does that apply to your cousins in NK burning this flag?

korean-flag.jpg

you're not being hypocritical again are you? nooo, that just cant be

Well, not really, because I don't recognize NK as a soverein political entity, as do my country's constitution, therfore the NK flag does not symbolize any nation. :p
imho you're just as much a traitor to your country if you accept it unconditionally ..a patriot loves his country but is also watchful that those in power dont overstep their authority ...in this sense Numbers you are not a patriot, you're a patriot in name only ..any fool can wave a flag, it takes someone with intestinal fortitude to fight through flag waving fools and see the nation as it truely is: warts and all

Hmm..... Well, I hate the ministry of education and the current president; does that count?

Yeah! Do I get a prize? :D

yes unforetunately the prize is perpetual ignorance

Well, not really, because I don't recognize NK as a soverein political entity, as do my country's constitution, therfore the NK flag does not symbolize any nation. :p

so nationhood is relative to your experience meaning that it doesnt exist if you say it doesnt exist ..right that makes sense ..ok to play devil's advocate what if it was china? or Iran or Saudi Arabia? the citizens of that country should obey without question?

Hmm..... Well, I hate the ministry of education and the current president; does that count?

well only to the combat police who are eavesdropping on our conversation ..if you listen closely you should hear the sound of their boots coming your way ..try to cover your face when the batons start flying

so nationhood is relative to your experience meaning that it doesnt exist if you say it doesnt exist ..right that makes sense ..ok to play devil's advocate what if it was china? or Iran or Saudi Arabia? the citizens of that country should obey without question?

Ok, uh..... it applies....

Only in my country, or the ones that I consider to be "free".

well only to the combat police who are eavesdropping on our conversation ..if you listen closely you should hear the sound of their boots coming your way ..try to cover your face when the batons start flying

Nah, they're all in Seoul breaking up railway worker strikes and protests. Seriously.

If you let the flag does the ground, God burns you in hell for the rest of eternity.

God BLESSES AMERICA, PEOPLE! COME ON.

/sarcasm

It's simple.

Burning a flag is retarded.

Prosecuting someone for burning a flag is retarded.

Two retardeds make a clever?

Ok, uh..... it applies....

Only in my country, or the ones that I consider to be "free".

so in other words your opinion is meaningless

Nah, they're all in Seoul breaking up railway worker strikes and protests. Seriously.

ok sorry, the Citizens Surveillance arm of the combat police ...my mistake ..the combat police dole out democracy at the end of a 10 foot baton, the Citizens Surveillance group is more about identifying potential "mal-contents" and passing it along to the CP so that they might mete out brutal justice ..sounds like a utopia ..but that's just my opinion

Dude, your self referential humour is getting creepy. Do you have low self-esteem or do you just enjoy being different?

I don't think burning a flag is retarded. By burning a flag, I am saying: "**** your nationalist bullshit, everything done in the same of this flag is shit"

Oh, Numbers, your lunacy is stale these days. I simply don't take anything you say seriously.

Well that's cool, this thread kind of turned into a shitfest. Not that I was expecting rational discourse or anything.

he deserved to be arrested for rubbing himself with cloth? why arent baseball players arrested? what's the difference? oh right he's holding a piece of cloth painted red what and blue ...doesnt freedom and liberty fit there somewhere?

oh btw I never ever want to hear another person comment on a single thing that doesnt originate from their own homes because "why would people care so much about what happens outside their homes if they don't live there?"

do you ever post shit about your own country? nah all you ever post is if not anti-american/anti-bush threads its "look what happeneds in america..more bad things"

The Flag is a symbol for the entire Country, if you live in America you should be proud and show respect to the great nation that you live in because many other nations are not nearly as good off.

Read the thread. I'm getting really frustrated at all this bullshit that people are throwing around.

The Flag is a symbol for the entire Country, if you live in America you should be proud and show respect to the great nation that you live in.

Bullshit FTL. :rolleyes:

I couldn't give a hiddly-doodly about my country, and I'm all for humping the flag. /Farts in Englands direction.

Mind, in this shit-fest police state they'd probably be able to pick me up on a camera farting in the grounds general direction and arrest me.

do you ever post shit about your own country?

why would I? my country is perfect in every conceivable way ..moreso because I live there ..oh and stigmata too ..perfect in every way much more than those ...hoodlums down south

nah all you ever post is if not anti-american/anti-bush threads its "look what happeneds in america..more bad things"

would you prefer I made threads on topics like "cute puppy born in america" "all is well in America, go about your business" ...why is that I rarely post anything about canada? because they would sound like this: "cute puppy born in canada", "Canadian killed by american in afghanistan" "all is well in Canada, go about your business" "Stern voted most likely to be clubbed to death by irate american"

The Flag is a symbol for the entire Country, if you live in America you should be proud and show respect to the great nation that you live in because many other nations are not nearly as good off.

oh I see you dont like America for it's good points you like it because it's better than other countries not as well off

new July 4th slogan "Proud to be American, at least we're not Cuban"

"America the beautiful, at least we're not iraq""

arn't you "humping the flag" any time you wear flag-patterned underwear?

umm I dont know ..were there any animals killed to make that dish?

If onions are animals, then yes. It was an orgy of demise.

why would I? my country is perfect in every conceivable way ..moreso because I live there ..oh and stigmata too ..perfect in every way much more than those ...hoodlums down south

would you prefer I made threads on topics like "cute puppy born in america" "all is well in America, go about your business" ...why is that I rarely post anything about canada? because they would sound like this: "cute puppy born in canada", "Canadian killed by american in afghanistan" "all is well in Canada, go about your business" "Stern voted most likely to be clubbed to death by irate american"

oh I see you dont like America for it's good points you like it because it's better than other countries not as well off

new July 4th slogan "Proud to be American, at least we're not Cuban"

"America the beautiful, at least we're not iraq""
You were twisting most of what i said, esspecially the end. I was saying that we should be GRATEFUL.

And im not gunna even argue with you cause we all know ill get 10000 sources all links posted from the political halflife2.net forum god

edit: as a matter of fact why dont you post a Canadian newspaper headline for us all and we'll be the judge of how boring it is and how nothing goes on.

Maybe we should get back on topic. Stern has a lot of concern over America, and sometimes goes overboard - we get it. Move on.

Replace concern with obsession and we've got an accurate description there.

Doesn't matter, that's not what the thread is about.

Back on topic: I believe nobody's posted any good reason to keep flag desecration illegal. Discuss.

You were twisting most of what i said, esspecially the end. I was saying that we should be GRATEFUL.

ya well I'm grateful my underwear isnt riding up my ass ...oh wait ..stupid tight pants

And im not gunna even argue with you cause we all know ill get 10000 sources all links posted from the political halflife2.net forum god

I'd prefer to defeat your arguments through researched facts rather than longevity finally wearing my opponent down ..personally I think it's a poor excuse and at least one person in this thread said the same thing ..either put your money where your mouth is or shut up, by not supporting your points all you're doing is ranting

edit: as a matter of fact why dont you post a Canadian newspaper headline for us all and we'll be the judge of how boring it is and how nothing goes on.

ok, no shit from the front page of the cbc:

Top Story Headlines

* Conrad Black guilty of obstruction and mail fraud
* Trial watchers believe Black could serve up to 10 years
* Moles linked with slower aging: study

lets start a thread on moles ...natures way of saying "hey you might have cancer"

but really we have a population of just over 30 million ..you have 10 times that ..plus guns ..lots and lots of guns

Back