Manipulator

gunstarhero

Reaction score
Can NPC carry the manipulator? I think it would need radically different coding, cause it is not as similar to the other guns as they are to themselves. Imagine things flying all over the place! Desks, Lamps, Letters.. all the good stuff.

20 NPCs + 20 Manipulator = seizure induced happiness

yes u can mod it, would have to mess with the AI so it consistent with the manipulator weapon.

Seems a little heavy for AI to handle 20 NPCs with manipulator guns, yet it would probably be fun in multiplayer.

If they can get a guy to hold a gun, and a zombie to kick a barrel just cause its a physics object, then i dont see why not, although i can see it being a bit CPU intensive somwhere along the way.

wait.. can the manipulator lift other people? like NPCs not people in MP but in SP?

I can see it now.

"Barney...what are you doing with that barrel *bonk* Oi! Look, I'm sorry for shooting you earlier! *smack* Leave the table alone. *bash* You were in my line of fire! *whallop* He's gone mad! *snap* No...not the saw blades!....."

.....perhaps.

Oooh... I hope the manipulator is in MP, imagine a load of people trying to kill each other by firing wheely-bins to and fro....

Crusader said:
Oooh... I hope the manipulator is in MP, imagine a load of people trying to kill each other by firing wheely-bins to and fro....

I would imagine it would be, in HL1 all the weapons that were in SP were avaliable in MP.

Lol if the mattresses are in multiplayer as well as the manipulator it'll be like having a big pillow fight!!!!!!!!

I think we said before in another thread that it wouldnt be a bad idea to cover up team mates who want to sit and sniper even though it would be a laugh :D , with matresses, although it does seem a little pointless.. ' oh look how inconspicuous!. a sniper hiding under matresses, never noticed him'

but i guess if you have a MP map with manipulators only, then its the guy who starts blasting the heaviest object around first that you need to watch out for.
I mean will it be all that great?, seriously if it was going to really kick ass you would need to battle it out in a room full of junk, barrels. tables. etc.

Yeah, I would like to see someone holding another person under water with a manipulator and make 'em drown lol.

I just had a great idea! If you can use manipulators in MP, then surely, the more manipulators you have on one object, the easier it is to lift. So to continue that theory on, if a group of you got together, you could lift something that one manipulator couldn't.

Suddenly a manipulator only server becomes a strategic team game with teams dropping cars on each other! How cool would that be?!

RoguePsi said:
I just had a great idea! If you can use manipulators in MP, then surely, the more manipulators you have on one object, the easier it is to lift. So to continue that theory on, if a group of you got together, you could lift something that one manipulator couldn't.

Suddenly a manipulator only server becomes a strategic team game with teams dropping cars on each other! How cool would that be?!

That is an awesome idea. Several manipulators working together to lift an object just one couldnt lift by itself. I dont think this would be possible though, because if just two people picked up an object, and each have control of that object, what would happen if the decided to move two different ways? Rip the object apart?

RoguePsi said:

Hahaha! That is a great idea! Lift up a building (it has to be a certain entity/thingymabober to be able to lift it) and place it ontop of another one!

"Kids! Mom and dad found our new home!"

I had a cool idea. If someone mods multiplayer to be able to pick up fellow players with the manipulator, you could get all 32 people in the server to lift each other up. One guy would pick up another guy, then that guy would pick one up, then that guy would do the same, a so on. Then the guy on the bottom could launch the guy he's holding, and then the next guy launches the guy he's holding, and the next guy does the same.

That would be so cool.

Confusing huh? :rolling:

I would love to that level or co-operation on a pub server:p

I wonder just what level of physics MP will have.

Knife fight!

/me picks up knife with manipulator

Didn't Valve say they had a system for giving NPCs weapons (and taking them back?) If so, wouldn't it be sort of odd if you could give them the manipulator and they couldn't use it?

/me Wonders who will be the first programmer to mod a ghostbusters type of game.

One team = ghostbusters
One team = ghosts

Just kidding =p

or am I...mwa hahaha

gunstarhero said:
wait.. can the manipulator lift other people? like NPCs not people in MP but in SP?

some body's can be picked up, if they were flagged specifically by the mapbuilders

gunstarhero said:
in the first E3 movie u can see a weapon (looks like the manipulator but with a blue beam) that lifting a dead Combine

Well, from various descriptions I've read, it looks like the manipulator works by having the secondary fire as pick up, and the alternate fire causes it to whack things, so for example if the buggy gets stuck somewhere, you can use the secondary fire to bash it out of trouble.

So, in MP, I can imagine the manipulator being useful to bash incoming physics objects out of the way as much as throw them, lol.

Play4Fun said:
in the first E3 movie u can see a weapon (looks like the manipulator but with a blue beam) that lifting a dead Combine

Yeah, but some say it's not gonna find it's way to the final game. It was designed for the E3 to demonstrate the awesome physics of HL2. But I think it's gonna be in the final game, it would be so handy. Allthough Valve have stated that you can pick object with your hands

i think that blue ray gun is called the physgun. from what it looks like it can do it is like an extension of your hand. i think it would be a cool mod if you had 2 teams, and 1 team had to protect a person by catching incomming objects (with the physgun) from the other team with manipulators firing stuff off.

Coolest boss idea ever: Shephard from Op4 with a manipulator :O

PvtRyan said:
Coolest boss idea ever: Shephard from Op4 with a manipulator :O
another idea is an alien with the abilities of the manipulator :E

Gabe said i awhile back that the Manipulator after you get it in the game you get powerups and upgrades through the game for it making it even better... It should be a fun toy.

Daiceman9 said:
i think that blue ray gun is called the physgun. from what it looks like it can do it is like an extension of your hand. i think it would be a cool mod if you had 2 teams, and 1 team had to protect a person by catching incomming objects (with the physgun) from the other team with manipulators firing stuff off.
I believe the Physgun was just for dev/E3
we only know that the Manipulator is an official weapon for sure... not the Physgun.

Mr. Redundant said:
I believe the Physgun was just for dev/E3
we only know that the Manipulator is an official weapon for sure... not the Physgun.
the Physgun isn't the same as the Manipulator so i think it'll be in the final release

EDIT: but on the other hand they've already shown us the Physgun so y wont they post some shots and details about it? :\

Play4Fun said:
the Physgun isn't the same as the Manipulator so i think i'll be in the final release

thats what I said
the Physgun is NOT the Manipulator.

Manipulator: official weapon, primary fire picks up/attracts, secondary shoots/repels the object

Physgun: not official, only seen in one level of the E3 presentation last year, picks up ojects with a blue beam (same model as the manipulator leads me to believe it was just to show off the ragdoll)

and although you may be in the final release, I doubt the Physgun will be.
(lol Im teasing you for saying that
i think i'll be in the final release
)

Mr. Redundant said:
thats what I said
the Physgun is NOT the Manipulator.

Manipulator: official weapon, primary fire picks up/attracts, secondary shoots/repels the object

Physgun: not official, only seen in one level of the E3 presentation last year, picks up ojects with a blue beam (same model as the manipulator leads me to believe it was just to show off the ragdoll)

and although you may be in the final release, I doubt the Physgun will be.
(lol Im teasing you for saying that )

lol! it was a mistake :p ( forgot the T :hmph: )

Back