Minecraft = Love

Got a chance to spend some time on the server today, started buidling north of the city.

lobs1hl2netserv.jpg

Got a chance to spend some time on the server today, started buidling north of the city.

lobs1hl2netserv.jpg

I like your style a lot. Very creative.

I think we should have a standard (at least in the city) about creative building appearances. We don't want giant stone Mausoleums crowding the skyline of our fair city.

What do you think?

Could you add my friend to the whitelist? (Or are we only letting HL2.net members in?) Name: HDXX

Too late.

True enough, but that can be fixed. ;)

Its cool if you want to build a big building but if its just an ugly thing no one will be impressed because its size will just make it obtrusive. Wake up you inner architect and show come creativity.

How does world map actually work? Is it infinite and just gets generated when you explore further away?

Yep, once explored and generated, that "chunk" gets stored to the hard drive so it looks the same every time you visit it again, including all changes you've made.

EDIT: Finally got my 6x6 tree farm created. Plenty of room so there's no trouble for trees growing, and I think they're always guaranteed to touch leaves with each other... so after mining all the wood you can torch it, as long as you replant it. I made it safe to torch, as long asy ou just torch the trees. Don't want to see that fire spreading to my home.

I also need to start working on beautifying my home. I didn't know about fences before.

I can't wait till they add planes/helicopters to this game, that would be awesome! you'd make your own too

1247908544099.jpg

I'll start the cartograph now, seeing as nobody's done it.

Stardog did it. He did the normal oblique. Then I asked him to do the angle oblique, since, in my opinion, it's more accurate.

what about hang gliders/parachutes then?? just to float down to an area, that would be kinda cool too

That sounds a little better. Would make it easier to get down from cliffs and such.

A parachute would be a good idea, another use for cloth.

Not that it would matter in multiplayer, as you can jump from anything and not take damage.

Can you add me to the allthecolors list? Don't know when I'll be getting on, since I have no idea what this game is, plus Civ 5 is out, but I'll probably be joining the server as soon as I know a bit about what I'm doing.

There was a quote on Notch's twitter about 3 weeks ago, where he mentioned wanting to add the abillity to saddle a flying mob. =S

I'm going to assume your name is Krynn72.

The link is old, but its the first time I read the "about" section of the website...

http://www.minecraft.net/about.jsp

Just hearing him talk about his simple design philosophy, and his plans for the future (essentially passing the development torch on to the community after he is finished updating it) makes me wish there were more developers in the world like him.

MINE4.jpg

LOL! this game is very fun indeed. i noticed a nice ledge to look out from

The whitelist so far. Or... the halflife2.net players list.

Some people are on there twice, for whatever reason.

sliver14
themellish
emporius
vegeta897
wantedbob
shakermaker
alex911
riomhaire
angra_mania
lord_raken
omnomnick
Strogg
Desmon
Morgs
Ennui
BadHat
BumBum
Nil1
kalmah
Snoopingasusual
Unfocussed
Unfocused
EnigmaToad
Flobster
FeroxorNot
MillyBays2
Dinnesch
Ribbon
Scruffy_Puppy
tacoeaterguy
Stardog
Xevrex
BioBlade
Robs_name
Soupstorm
EvilNic
evilnic
Sui42
Kazsymonds
Acepilotf14
BioBlade92
dee_Sloth
DigiQ8
DigiQ8
HDXX
kineaesth
Krynn72

Warped's Image

I think KA was referring to Ravioli's wooden sign. That's an unwritten rule that we don't enforce, but we would appreciate it if you didn't act like a big dumb dumb (lookin at you, wooz).

*delete this*

accidental double post

I'm working on too many projects at once around my fortress. I'm making a shaft to the bottom for materials w/ ladder, my wall needs to be finished, and my home needs to be finished.

Can't really see the appeal of this after playing it for an hour.

Can't really see the appeal of this after playing it for an hour.

honestly, i've almost lost all interest after playing it for an hour and a half. My entire time was spent holding down the mouse button digging to try and find coal, then running from monsters at night, then burying myself to hide from them, and waiting.... waiting... waiting for the sun to come up.

AND I STILL DONT HAVE ANY MOTHER****ING COAL. If everything takes this stupidly long, then I just wasted 14 bucks.

Other things I hate:

-That theres nothing in game to tell you the recipies.
-That it doesn't tell you the name of shit, I found some shit that looked almost exactly like coal, but the graphic was slightly different, so it wasn't. And the only way you could tell was that there was a small highlight on it, where the coal didn't have that on it's icon. ****ing dumb
-Day/Night cycles are way too fast. Even if monsters werent such a major problem for a starting player, its still lame how short the day is.
-Alt-tabbing/alt-esc/windows key all pause the game, so theres no way to wait in the game while doing something else on your computer. Major pain when trying to wait for night to end.

Also the sound doesn't work for me, though a googling says its a temporary problem because an updates going to fix it. All in all, I can't say my first impressions about the game are good. I can see it being fun when you start crafting and building shit... but the whole mining business seems awful.

honestly, i've almost lost all interest after playing it for an hour and a half. My entire time was spent holding down the mouse button digging to try and find coal, then running from monsters at night, then burying myself to hide from them, and waiting.... waiting... waiting for the sun to come up.

AND I STILL DONT HAVE ANY MOTHER****ING COAL. If everything takes this stupidly long, then I just wasted 14 bucks.

I think you should tag along with some of on the server, we could show you the ropes so much faster than discovering stuff on your own

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb3hhQOJI_M
this is cute, and if a kid can do it Krynn you can do it!

but seriously youtube has a million how tos for minecraft

Maybe I'll join you guys tomorrow. I'll try and ignore tonight's grumblings.

Yea, the game needs an ingame recipe list, or at least save recipes that you've already used for quick crafting. Right now I'm playing on peaceful until I get myself somewhat established with a house and tools and stuff and stuff. But I still don't stay engaged long enough to do anything meaningful. Not yet, anyway. Maybe on a day where i'm really bored.

-That theres nothing in game to tell you the recipies.
You will memorize them soon enough. In the mean time, use the wiki.

-That it doesn't tell you the name of shit, I found some shit that looked almost exactly like coal, but the graphic was slightly different, so it wasn't. And the only way you could tell was that there was a small highlight on it, where the coal didn't have that on it's icon. ****ing dumb
Again you'll remember what everything is. My sister learned how to play the entire game just by watching me for a few hours.

-Day/Night cycles are way too fast. Even if monsters werent such a major problem for a starting player, its still lame how short the day is.
This I can agree with, I could go for longer cycles.

-Alt-tabbing/alt-esc/windows key all pause the game, so theres no way to wait in the game while doing something else on your computer. Major pain when trying to wait for night to end.
If you open up your inventory or crafting table or oven etc. then you can alt tab without the pausing.

All in all, I can't say my first impressions about the game are good. I can see it being fun when you start crafting and building shit... but the whole mining business seems awful.

I find this odd because my first impressions were incredibly good, I was immediately entranced by the game. Exploring and mining and building, it's all enjoyable to me. You'd think it would become monotonous but it just doesn't seem to get tiring, because there's always the chance you'll find something cool, and you're always working toward making your place cooler.

Anyway, I started my reed farm at my house (don't touch!) and ka helped me do some mining and also started building a 4D mesh next to my house.

By the way my peninsula totally looks like a rabbit. Well, maybe not anymore but it did.

20100923031906capture.jpg

Oh, and whoever built that sign post thing in the water near spawn, they made a "to vegeta's" sign that points in the wrong direction. It should be pointing directly east from where it is.

Vegeta, he does make a good point though, in my opinion you should be able to highlight objects in your inventory and have a little tooltip tell you what it is.

Of course it should be an option so those who don't want it don't need to live with it, but I certainly consider it a good idea.

Its clearly a guy with silly hair and big sleeves giving a thumbs up.

21417360.jpg

Also, I just watched a video where a guy said what blocks with coal in them look like. THANKS FOR THE TIP VEGETA. I thought when you said "You just find it" you meant that it just randomly comes out of rocks every so often.

Back