mirrors in half-life 2

Maybe we just see Gabe in the mirror laughing menacingly...like a easter egg or something.

you get mirrors in Dues Ex, which was out at similar time to Half-life... or not long after.

Hello? What about cameras! That's the main thing I think.
In such a rundown city there will only be broken mirrors and stuff, we won't see ourselves that way...

oldagerocker said:
you get mirrors in Dues Ex, which was out at similar time to Half-life... or not long after.
2 years after.

Because I just had to...

Inreference to the next to last sentence-

Kon said:
i don't think they want you to be identified as anything or whatever.. they want you to experience the game from your point of view, not a character's.. not being reminded that you are gorden is the best way to have it because it allows you to sink into their world and not worry about appearances and if you are acting the right way.. we aren't really role playing , as I see it, we are just experienceing this story as it unfolds and what we do are decided by our actions.. or something.. if we are constantly reminded of being gordon, then we constantly ask ourself what gordon would do..
o_o i dunno.. just random thoughts..

I present: What Would Gordon Do?- the bumpersticker! :naughty:

MagnumPI said:
i reckon being able to see yourself (gordon) in the mirror would be more immersive, as if you are looking through his eyes - i imagine it to be like in Quantum Leap when Sam looks in the mirror and is someone else...

-Jim

it all works on a subconscious level I think.. the fact that if you see gordon, then you feel like gordon, then you feel like an artificial character in a game.
Now, if you don't see him, then the chances that you remember gordon are less. You are more concerned with yourself and the experiences become more personal and are directed towards you more intensely, they aren't softened by knowing you are roleplaying an artificial character..
In the overall picture, I think this benefits the game.

in the 2003 e3 vid, the lab one. gordon knocks over the monitor and you really dont see a reflection of any character in the screen. but it was kinda blurry so it might be me.

There were mirrors in the first UT, my mate made a level with one huge one on. It was massive.

So I doubt you need DX9...

I believe theres no mirrors in HL2 because people have accepted Valves excuse, in HL1, that they wanted you to feel more like you were in the game rather than it was the engines limitations/time frame that stopped you from seeing yourself.

The game would have been a success if Gordon had spoken or been seen anyways, but, I think Valve had to use the most it could from HL1 so ppl could familiarise themselves with the sequel.

I believe this wasn't a 'design' decision but rather a 'lets not piss off our psychotic devoted fans' decision.

We know what gordon looks like so I doubt why we need to see him....

Plus I don't see how a dirty and run-down place like C17 would have a clean and clear mirror to view yourself in.

Dalamari said:
We know what gordon looks like so I doubt why we need to see him....

Plus I don't see how a dirty and run-down place like C17 would have a clean and clear mirror to view yourself in.

I don't see why you'd think you wouldn't actually.

*Pictures the combine running in and out of buildings smashing and throwing dirt at mirrors but leaving tables, chairs and tv's perfectly fine...*

Bicka said:
I don't see why you'd think you wouldn't actually.

*Pictures the combine running in and out of buildings smashing and throwing dirt at mirrors but leaving tables, chairs and tv's perfectly fine...*
*Pictures the Resistance running in and out of buildings cleaning mirrors with Windex and microfiber towels and defiling tables, chairs, and TVs....*

:E

Well, you can't see Gordoen's reflection in the water, so why in mirrors?

PatPwnt said:
That's probably what it's going to be, although they go a little to far with this not seeing gordon stuff. They should just have him with a blank face in the mirror.

no it's awesome that you don't see Gordon in reflections (if that's the case) it means that you never see anything that would suggest you aren't the character in the game. That's awesome immersion.

I think we'll be able to see Gordon in mirrors, that just adds up to the "be in his feet" feeling.

dassbaba said:
there will be mirrors...
What makes you say that? :rolling:
I guess you didn't read the thread did you?

Not having a reflection in mirrors is ok, but seeing muzzle flashes coming out of nowhere and enemies attacking nothing in a camera is not.

i don't think we are qualified to answer the question to be honest....lets wait for the game huh?

I personally liked the idea of a flying invisible vampire torso :)

What if the person playing looks like Gordon Freeman? Aren't they then entitled to see themselves ingame?

So Valve goes to great lengths to create a nearly photo-realistic, physics-accurate virtual world of HL2 but if we happen to come across a reflective surface like a mirror or body of water we can't see our player model(Gordon)? If anything takes away from the immersion factor, it's looking into a reflective surface and NOT seeing your image reflected back. Stupid design decision imo, if true. Christ, who cares if the Gordon's image is reflected back? How in the world does that negatively impact gameplay?

Also, as far as I know the first realistic mirror effect done in a fps was in SWAT 3. Old engine but it was able to do real-time, true reflection effects(i.e. newly placed bullet holes on surrounding walls were reflected in the mirrors).

the average player who comes across a mirror probably wont notice the fact that there is no reflection, because they wont be expecting it. They would probably have other thoughts on their mind. I dunno, i allready gave my reasons why i think it is better this way. so far everyone is just saying that it would just seem weird without it.. and yes, technically it would be weird if you couldn't see yourself in a mirror. I believe the benefits for no reflection out weight having a reflection.

There will likely be no mirrors in the game. Gordon will not appear invisible in mirrors, because there are none. Valve aren't going to put faulty mirrors in the game. :rolleyes:

Can anyone give a reason why mirrors would be anything but a gimmick anyways?
They wouldn't enhance the gameplay at all.

Ive heard from a friend of a friend whos roomates sisters kid downloaded the h@xed version of doom3, and in the bathroom bit you see your reflection. That didnt take away from the realism, it was actually really cool because youd sit there thinking "wow, a mirror! I can jump around weeeeA ARRRRGFFGF MONSTER AERRRGG!!"

poseyjmac said:
invisible people with guns, how immersing and realistic!

Quite. It really helps me get into the game when I'm both invisible AND visible. Enemies can see me although they really can't. You can see your hands and gun although they are invisible, but in a way they aren't. The best thing to do is just put on 'notarget' and remove weapon models from the screen. That would make the game consistent.

jet jaguar said:
Also, as far as I know the first realistic mirror effect done in a fps was in SWAT 3. Old engine but it was able to do real-time, true reflection effects(i.e. newly placed bullet holes on surrounding walls were reflected in the mirrors).

Duke Nukem 3D and Quake had mirrors, as I said before.

Mechagodzilla said:
Can anyone give a reason why mirrors would be anything but a gimmick anyways?
They wouldn't enhance the gameplay at all.

How about seeing an enemy in a mirror, or the enemy seeing YOU in a mirror?

urseus said:
Ive heard from a friend of a friend whos roomates sisters kid downloaded the h@xed version of doom3, and in the bathroom bit you see your reflection. That didnt take away from the realism, it was actually really cool because youd sit there thinking "wow, a mirror! I can jump around weeeeA ARRRRGFFGF MONSTER AERRRGG!!"

I don't know, the doom marine looks like a moron to me. I wouldn't mind seeing his reflection.

Why is it so hard for you guys to believe that a game cannot have a mirror?There are many, halo to name one.

In "Dr. Kleiners lab" bink video, when gordon pokes that screen down. Before it drops, it seems that the screen reflects the room you are in, but not Gordon.

I might be wrong...

lans said:
When you look in the mirror, you'll see the G-man instead of yourself, as in the E3 2003 tech demo.

sweet! how ****ing spooky is that?!

awesome!! g-mann is f0ll0wing H0rd0n in teh mirrior deemension!!

:bounce: :D :D :rolling: :imu: :eek: :eek:

lans said:
I don't know, the doom marine looks like a moron to me. I wouldn't mind seeing his reflection.

Why is it so hard for you guys to believe that a game cannot have a mirror?There are many, halo to name one.

Yes and how crap was Halo when it came to anything other than action scenes?
In HL2 your going to be given the chance to walk around and actually feel like your in a real city. Theres going to be a hold load of gimmiky effects going on and for some reason mirrors won't be one of them...

When ppl say Gordon doesn't talk or you never see him is because of the involvement factor, "You are Gordon", I can't help but think about Garrett from the Thief series. There's a character with a personality and wit (and even a bloody body in the third game) and I never once think about who knocked out that guard back there...was it me or Garrett? It was me tbh because I am Garrett.

Now Valve are using the excuse that you don't see or hear Gordon in the game so you feel like your actually there? So why am I called Gordon then? Shouldn't they not use his name through the whole game? Shouldn't Alyx not blush when I'm staring at her for to long? I might be a women and the last thing I'd want to do is flert with her.

I think Valve have missed out on a lot of nice touches in the game to keep it in touch with the original's feel (partly a result of the HL1's engine limitations).

I just saw the Lab video from E3 2003. That was pretty weird that you couldn't see your reflection in the monitor, but oh well. I can live with it. I wouldn't really have noticed if someone hadn't already pointed it out though.

im betting that you wont see a reflection of gordon. like he said above, there was no relection in that monitor in the lab bink vid.

Bicka said:
When ppl say Gordon doesn't talk or you never see him is because of the involvement factor, "You are Gordon", I can't help but think about Garrett from the Thief series. There's a character with a personality and wit (and even a bloody body in the third game) and I never once think about who knocked out that guard back there...was it me or Garrett? It was me tbh because I am Garrett.

Ya i know ay. Every fps game should have exactly what thief has. Flashpoint too had it so you looked down you see your shoulders and body and legs. That is more realisic feeling. Otherwise you feel like a floating ball. Ive never played a more emersive feeling game than flashpoint, simply because when your looking around you dont notice that your doing it, because your mind is seeing exactly what it would see if you do that in real life, your arms and body and shoulders.

Bicka said:
Now Valve are using the excuse that you don't see or hear Gordon in the game so you feel like your actually there? So why am I called Gordon then? Shouldn't they not use his name through the whole game? Shouldn't Alyx not blush when I'm staring at her for to long? I might be a women and the last thing I'd want to do is flert with her.
1. Women represent probably 1% of the percentage of people who'll play Half-Life 2.
2. Women are all partly lesbians and will be aroused by that scene and will definately want to flirt with her.

Back